Install Arc
Options

disastrous twitter communication

124»

Comments

• Options
    lethizorlethizor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd also like to point out that he is not responsible for being handed orders 'well tell them it will be soon then!' and posting those and then not meeting those expectations... he is not the individual failing to meet the deadlines, and his JOB depends on relaying his supervisors messages. Period. If they told him to tell us soon for the next 90 days, he would do it... wouldn't we all.
  • Options
    warfluxwarflux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is not Iron QA. We are expected to use good judgment. If a dev or engineer tells me there is an ETA I would absolutely post that. If some manager tells me "Oh, we'll make a post on the forums in 30 minutes about a plan or ETA" I would not post that. If they told me to post it I would ask if they were sure they could deliver on that promise. I would not being doing my job if I didn't. I seriously doubt they specifically told him to go tell all of their players they were going to post an ETA in 30 minutes or held a gun to his head. I guess it's possibly but that would be unlikely in my opinion.

He doesn't say he'll have an update as soon as possible. Are you even reading his tweets? He is saying things like I will have an update in 30 minutes or I will have an update soon. Nice twisting of the truth to support your viewpoint.
  • Options
    ladyshadowstarrrladyshadowstarrr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Everyone breathe...

Big breath in... big breath out..

Knock knock.
    Who's there?
    Oink oink.
    Oink oink who?
    Make up your mind, are you a pig or an owl?!
  • Options
    warfluxwarflux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it's owlmanpig!
  • Options
    pauzzzpauzzz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Y'all needa go outside or something
  • Options
    fouleaglefouleagle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    torrenz1 wrote: »
    I'm sure the community appreciates the extra hours the person over at @NeverwinterGame has clocked today to try and keep us informed, so this is no accusation to him or her personally. I don't want to complain about the downtime itself either, because I am glad the devs are taking as much time with this issue as they need. What bothers me is that I have been baited with false communications to stay awake all night only to see ETA after ETA discarded and buried under apologetic PR talk and amiable smiley faces.

I'm only speaking for myself here, but perhaps others have experienced this in the same way. Surely the initial 1h downtime sounded too good to be true for anyone, but I was hoping to see something within, say, the first five hours. As it stands we're past the nine hour mark and at this point I've so little faith in @NeverwinterGame that I am perfectly comfortable typing this overly long complaint without so much as glancing at the (5) new tweets that I am convinced contain only vain chitchat to placate and stall the community.

I get that you want to communicate, and real-time social media can be a good medium for that, and I'm sure nobody in the PR business would advocate a communication along the lines of "this is a gigantic mess, you can go to bed/work while we figure this **** out and we'll let you know what's going on tomorrow", but perhaps more players would appreciate that kind of honesty? I for one did not appreciate being fed bluffed promises every hour, no matter how friendly the messenger.

I could've gotten a good night's rest from the first ETA to the most recent. I will likely miss the actual news because I'm about to drop dead of sleep deprivation. Any excessive grumpiness in my post I attribute to this condition and apologize only half-heartedly.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo.
  • Options
    jlanderjlander Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If I wouldve won the 600 million lottery I wouldve bought enough stock in pwe to tell the suits whats what and tell you guys everything with no filters. Probably even put a few live stream in the building so you could see the work being done.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    looks like we're finally going to get some significant information soon.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm not twisting the truth to support my viewpoint :

Neverwinter ‏@NeverwinterGame 17m
    @ocuana @tdmontgomery Hopefully we'll have an update ready very soon.

This is one example where he specifically uses the phrase soon, there have been many posts like this. I'm sure he wasn't inventing the 30 minute timeframe when he did post those, that would be ridiculous (if he was, I'd agree with you it was incompetence - you'll see earlier that falls under lying to the customer, but I highly doubt he was inventing 30 minutes as a timeframe).

I am still a little confused by where you work. What line are you in particularly, you mentioned IT... I know that like me you are probably unable to mention what company/ISP, but it is vastly different environment from the multitudes of IT/CS jobs I have been in if you have the freedom to question your boss when given even a loose ETA. From my experience it is not your job to ensure that they live up to their promises, it's your job to maintain contact with the customer and be a link for any and all messages (specifically regarding outages) until the issue is resolved. Ensuring that any of your personal promises is your job, and yes trying to ensure that all company promises are met is also kind of your job in the sense that you don't want to do anything that would cause them to be broken, but ultimately if you're not the person fixing it, you're not in control of meeting those promises. If you're told to relay a message and you refuse, you're in deep.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Update. Anyways, stop beating the damned messenger. Simple way to tell, if he doesn't get fired/stays active, you'll know he wasn't in trouble from higher ups so obviously he was acting in accordance with requirements. :P
  • Options
    aelethkowwaelethkoww Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Probably has been covered, but this has happened a few times during downtime. The night or so after release rings a bell.
  • Options
    aevlomaevlom Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Any company with any sense would use their OWN forums as the primary communication tool.... not "social media".
    The main role of Twitter is 500,000 morons retweeting that Kanye West or one of the Kardashians used the bathroom at exactly 7:42am. In other words, pretty useless.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Haha aevlom. I like it.
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If I am not mistaken the @Neverwinergame twitter is accessed by several people, not just one person.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It was turtle for most of the night though. He did mention that.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lethizor wrote: »
    I'm not twisting the truth to support my viewpoint :

Neverwinter ‏@NeverwinterGame 17m
    @ocuana @tdmontgomery Hopefully we'll have an update ready very soon.

This is one example where he specifically uses the phrase soon, there have been many posts like this. I'm sure he wasn't inventing the 30 minute timeframe when he did post those, that would be ridiculous (if he was, I'd agree with you it was incompetence - you'll see earlier that falls under lying to the customer, but I highly doubt he was inventing 30 minutes as a timeframe).

I am still a little confused by where you work. What line are you in particularly, you mentioned IT... I know that like me you are probably unable to mention what company/ISP, but it is vastly different environment from the multitudes of IT/CS jobs I have been in if you have the freedom to question your boss when given even a loose ETA. From my experience it is not your job to ensure that they live up to their promises, it's your job to maintain contact with the customer and be a link for any and all messages (specifically regarding outages) until the issue is resolved. Ensuring that any of your personal promises is your job, and yes trying to ensure that all company promises are met is also kind of your job in the sense that you don't want to do anything that would cause them to be broken, but ultimately if you're not the person fixing it, you're not in control of meeting those promises. If you're told to relay a message and you refuse, you're in deep.

I work for a very large corporation I will leave it at that. Of course I have a discussion about what I'm going to send out with my boss. It has my name on it. I was put in the position I'm in by my bosses, they trust my judgment. They have no idea what is best to send out that is my job to determine that. Ultimately, they could pull rank and tell me to post something I didn't feel comfortable with but that has never happened. Maybe I am just lucky I have no idea. I would think the person in charge of the correspondence would have a lot of input in what was sent in most companies.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sure but even if your boss tells you one thing, they can pull the rug out from you at any time by simply not being able to accomplish what they thought they could as quickly as they thought they could - that was my point - that YOU specifically don't control everything no matter what you do in these situations, unless YOU are the person physically correcting it. Heck, your boss probably isn't even the person specifically correcting it, most information you'll have is outdated/vague, lol.

You can blame him if you want, I think it's really silly to do so though, I don't see anything he did as wrong. I think people are just pissed about the ETA being dragged out so long and wanted a scapegoat. He didn't cause it, he didn't drag it out, and he was clearly bugging someone about these ETAs or he wouldn't have been posting them. If you feel otherwise you are perfectly entitled, so I suppose I'm done, I just really hate that people always blame the messenger. It's sad because he probably really was driving for a resolution.