test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

disastrous twitter communication

Comments

• Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    warflux wrote: »
    Pretty sure anyone with experience in handling outages could have handled that a lot better. I know I could have. Making promises you can't keep is pretty much customer service 101.

Not sure if you have even been reading the tweets this guy has been sending but he's resulted to telling everyone he will eat his hat if an eta/plan is not posted by midnight. You honestly believe he is just doing the best he can and no one could do better?

I hope he likes the taste of hat.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    ruinateruinate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Apparently he's going to eat a hat if there is no information posted before 12pm PST
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Almost 4 hours ago:

Update: We have a plan of action. We're verifying the exact timeline, then we'll be triple-checking the planned forum post with all key stakeholders before posting. We're not finished yet, folks, but we're getting closer.

One hour ago:

The post about our plan of action is being confirmed -- stay tuned, folks, we're getting closer.

Summary:

It took them 8 hours to devise a plan of action, 3 hours to write a forum post and over an hour (so far) to check said post before posting it. At this rate the servers will be up tomorrow morning just in time for them to put up their post updating us on their planned timeline.

Given the fact that the person operating the Facebook and Twitter feed just admitted 10 minutes ago that he was a "carny" for 2 years tells me all I need to know about their Community Management Team's leadership.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    warflux wrote: »
    I actually do blame the person tweeting. He is the community manager he should know better. Don't overpromise and underdeliver, that's like one of the 10 commandments of being a PR person. Doing that is worse than giving politician answers. Even if he is just repeating what he's told he should have the sense to push back on that.

It's unbelievable incompetent to post every 5 minutes that you'll have an ETA soon or an announcement for 9 hours straight.

I agree. It just further proves that PW and Cryptic are amateurs and should not be give our hard earned money.
  • Options
    uristqwertyuristqwerty Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    My understanding of what is being said in twitter is that they immediately started trying to fix the problems, at first by gathering data (the initial hour), realizing the problems were larger than they optimistically assumed, so they couldn't bring the game back up while they worked on it (the first delay), and ever since they have been putting everything they had into ensuring things were fixed. They have some idea what they want to announce publicly, but are constantly getting new information that they have to take into account, and won't post anything until they are almost ready to bring the game back online.

They probably want the game back up just as much as we do.
  • Options
    swoomustdienowswoomustdienow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    It seems to be TrailTurtle manning both Twitter and Facebook. He has a pretty good rep for being fair and reasonable. All things considered, I think he is doing the best he can with what he has been given. Id imagine its a pretty thankless job to have to deal with this late on a Sunday.

If by a good job you mean claiming they just discovered this exploit today, and removing any replies that mention or link to the fact that this is a long known (and reported) exploit that has appeared in other titles, then yes, it has been a **** good job.
  • Options
    dungaridungari Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I got my kid to bed and went to log in and saw "extended maint. check forums for details" I get to forums can't find much but this thread full of complaints... I've been doing MMOs since Ultima Online back in 1997 so I am no stranger to this kind of frustration I've been reading in this thread, but at the very least people it's not their fault your entire lives seem to revolve around their game. Have you also forgotten it's FREE? To be so pissy when they are providing a 100% free service that's become such a center-piece of your whole life. Yes communication is proving to come up short - but the same is true at my job, and at home in my marriage so I'm used to it. It's part of life. Some people act like this is the single most insulting thing or the biggest set back they've ever experienced. I wish that an extended server down is the worst problem my life faced because man would I be in Utopia. Lets just hope that when it's all fixed we still have characters to log back in to - what I'm saying is it could be worse. So either be patient or get a life, but venting over a free service (no matter the circumstances) is pretty lame. Just saying.
  • Options
    deepfreddeepfred Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My favorite was the reply at hour +4 or so to someone saying they liked the game because it was addictive... "Yeah we like it here in the office too", like they're all doing something else at Neverwinter HQ...
  • Options
    rosicrucianistrosicrucianist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can't blame the CM when he is being fed what to say. Everything game related is passed down to him. To be honest I find his demeanor refreshing. His posts have kept me entertained during this mess...
  • Options
    nocturnalnemesisnocturnalnemesis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    torrenz1 wrote: »
    I'm sure the community appreciates the extra hours the person over at @NeverwinterGame has clocked today to try and keep us informed, so this is no accusation to him or her personally. I don't want to complain about the downtime itself either, because I am glad the devs are taking as much time with this issue as they need. What bothers me is that I have been baited with false communications to stay awake all night only to see ETA after ETA discarded and buried under apologetic PR talk and amiable smiley faces.

I'm only speaking for myself here, but perhaps others have experienced this in the same way. Surely the initial 1h downtime sounded too good to be true for anyone, but I was hoping to see something within, say, the first five hours. As it stands we're past the nine hour mark and at this point I've so little faith in @NeverwinterGame that I am perfectly comfortable typing this overly long complaint without so much as glancing at the (5) new tweets that I am convinced contain only vain chitchat to placate and stall the community.

I get that you want to communicate, and real-time social media can be a good medium for that, and I'm sure nobody in the PR business would advocate a communication along the lines of "this is a gigantic mess, you can go to bed/work while we figure this **** out and we'll let you know what's going on tomorrow", but perhaps more players would appreciate that kind of honesty? I for one did not appreciate being fed bluffed promises every hour, no matter how friendly the messenger.

I could've gotten a good night's rest from the first ETA to the most recent. I will likely miss the actual news because I'm about to drop dead of sleep deprivation. Any excessive grumpiness in my post I attribute to this condition and apologize only half-heartedly.

Nuff said, waste of my entire sunday from the first ETA of 1 hour estimated, w00t thanks for wasting an entire Sunday when I had set aside time to strictly play ALL day because it was the only time of the week where I could log 12+ Hours.
  • Options
    keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-JFoV.gif

I too do not appreciate being strung along.
  • Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think for the most part they are waiting to put as much information as possible into a public address. But at the same time, they don't want to have an incorrect information that players can then quote later as being false or a lie...
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's literally nothing he can do but relay messages. His boss tells him what he can tell the public.
    Obviously we're criticising the boss by proxy.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Can't blame the CM when he is being fed what to say. Everything game related is passed down to him. To be honest I find his demeanor refreshing. His posts have kept me entertained during this mess...

You sound like the guy making the posts...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    keeganfox wrote: »

just love this gif...
  • Options
    jdnycjdnyc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Criticize for lack of communication. Criticize for communication delivered that changes.
    Yes it's the CMs fault on Twitter. Sure...
  • Options
    kblazekblaze Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    deepfred wrote: »
    You sound like the guy making the posts...

Nah if he was the guy making the posts he'd be saying how he's working on a plan of action on how to defend the guy first
  • Options
    warfluxwarflux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dungari wrote: »
    I got my kid to bed and went to log in and saw "extended maint. check forums for details" I get to forums can't find much but this thread full of complaints... I've been doing MMOs since Ultima Online back in 1997 so I am no stranger to this kind of frustration I've been reading in this thread, but at the very least people it's not their fault your entire lives seem to revolve around their game. Have you also forgotten it's FREE? To be so pissy when they are providing a 100% free service that's become such a center-piece of your whole life. Yes communication is proving to come up short - but the same is true at my job, and at home in my marriage so I'm used to it. It's part of life. Some people act like this is the single most insulting thing or the biggest set back they've ever experienced. I wish that an extended server down is the worst problem my life faced because man would I be in Utopia. Lets just hope that when it's all fixed we still have characters to log back in to - what I'm saying is it could be worse. So either be patient or get a life, but venting over a free service (no matter the circumstances) is pretty lame. Just saying.

Maybe you should apply to be their PR rep, you seem to share the same attitude they do.
  • Options
    nocturnalnemesisnocturnalnemesis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    keeganfox wrote: »

I too do not appreciate being strung along.

Enough said, logging in tomorrow and hopefully have a game to play or sadly enough I think Ill have to go back to what I used to PAY and PLAY.
  • Options
    cocksworthcocksworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Guys I'm gunna post how I feel about the twitter updates soon. Just typing up the response now. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    torrenz1torrenz1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dungari wrote: »
    Some people act like this is the single most insulting thing or the biggest set back they've ever experienced.
    Just where are you getting that impression? I haven't seen anyone be overly vitriolic in this thread. You admitted that this is a legitimate complaint. Are you saying it should be disregarded just because it is comparatively insignificant? Cryptic and PWE are commited to delivering a quality product, even if it's free, and criticism is needed for that. As a married man I have no doubt there's better things for you to care about, but that doesn't mean everyone who gives a **** is needlessly entitled.

People can be passionate about things in constructive ways.
  • Options
    merkyahmerkyah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It has been ridiculous. Yes, it is my fault for wasting my own time, but I would have spent these last 8 hours doing something other than sitting and waiting for the next 1 hour mark that they have given, for when they finally decide to tell us the "plan" that they are going to commence. It is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, Should just tell us the truth and that it might not be up for 12 hours or something like that.
  • Options
    thehalostrikethehalostrike Member Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    27870755.jpg
  • Options
    growlachugrowlachu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is NOT the community Rep's fault that you chose to sit online waiting for the servers to come back up. I also had plans to play all day but instead I went out and purchased a new bike, caught up on the Game of Throne's series, and then went on a late night bike ride. It is a choice. For me it was appreciated that at least I could update twitter every once in a while to see if I was looking at the same server status, or if they were back up. That is better than every other launch I have been in where if a problem popped up we did not hear a thing from anyone for hours at a time.
  • Options
    rosicrucianistrosicrucianist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    merkyah wrote: »
    It has been ridiculous. Yes, it is my fault for wasting my own time, but I would have spent these last 8 hours doing something other than sitting and waiting for the next 1 hour mark that they have given, for when they finally decide to tell us the "plan" that they are going to commence. It is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, Should just tell us the truth and that it might not be up for 12 hours or something like that.

I highly doubt this is getting fixed tonight. I'd suspect the servers won't be online until 10AM PST. I'd just like to know what the plan is moving forward...
  • Options
    ladyshadowstarrrladyshadowstarrr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    torrenz1 wrote: »
    I could've gotten a good night's rest from the first ETA to the most recent. I will likely miss the actual news because I'm about to drop dead of sleep deprivation. Any excessive grumpiness in my post I attribute to this condition and apologize only half-heartedly.

I understand your frustration regarding the rest of your post. I am a gamer amongst all of you as well but there should be at no point a game that keeps you up or challenges you to live your life or do other things (such as just go to bed).

We are all here with you, upset about the lack of communication and with the servers being down for so long on a weekend (and for us here in Canada, a LONG weekend), but if part of your complaint is that your missing sleep because your worried about your game then you need to re-analyse your priorities.

Get some sleep, the game will be here when you wake... It may not be up and there may not be any real communication yet... but it will still be there. Don't put your personal health at risk because of a bunch of pixels and bytes.
  • Options
    mustachemavmustachemav Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    l1d3n wrote: »
    Amateurs \10char

+1 to you sir for that response
    Facebook | STOked Radio
    Twitter | @STOkedshow
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ladyshadowstarrrladyshadowstarrr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    growlachu wrote: »
    It is NOT the community Rep's fault that you chose to sit online waiting for the servers to come back up. I also had plans to play all day but instead I went out and purchased a new bike, caught up on the Game of Throne's series, and then went on a late night bike ride. It is a choice. For me it was appreciated that at least I could update twitter every once in a while to see if I was looking at the same server status, or if they were back up. That is better than every other launch I have been in where if a problem popped up we did not hear a thing from anyone for hours at a time.

/agrees with you.
  • Options
    fashizl420fashizl420 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So let me get this straight, original poster could've gotten q good nights rest if he didn't spend his entire night waiting for a game to come back up and he's complaining about the communication via twitter. The bigger issue here is your addiction to video games causes you to fiend so much to play you sit there on every message praying you get to play the next hour all night and sacrificing sleep over it. It's an open beta for an unfinished game, if the **** goes down go do something else?? Go to bed? Go drink or smoke some weed and watch tv?
  • Options
    warfluxwarflux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    growlachu wrote: »

The Rep kept giving a timeline for when they were going to give us an eta and a plan. He would tell us things like he was going to post in 30 minutes and never did. That is his fault. I'm not sure how you can defend that except by twisting around what the issue is, which you are doing.