test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Read this and actually think for once

Comments

• aveloxiaveloxi Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    AH Crash: The AH crashed because of an exploit. Get over it. All MMO and real life markets have balanced itself out over time. <snip>

You complainers are all basement dwellers. People like me who play casually sigh with all the hard work they did over a weekend or even for their entire game experience when wipes and roll backs happen because of your "polls" and aspie rage.

You have obviously never heard of hyper-inflation or the Zimbabwean dollar. In fact, Zimbabwea actually did a "wipe" of their economy and currency in order to fix their runaway hyper-inflation. Not the first time, nor the last.

Also, ad hominem stereotype fail.
  • jerryskid103jerryskid103 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10
    edited May 2013
    "If you don't like it then leave". I am not leaving.

Me thinks this guy has billions of astral diamonds......
  • rhymfaxerhymfaxe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 101 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Good read, I share your disgust for the lowest common denominator.
  • sablelore015sablelore015 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agreed, it is listed as a free game, if you play it that way and enjoy it never spending a dime. Then you win because you played it for the enjoyment of it. not to win, not to have the best new stuff... but for the pleasure you had in it. Now lets hope the servers come up and we may all return to killing whatever monster you enjoy killing. Remember it is a game, Real life level ups are much harder :P
    "If your not having fun, Then stop doing it"

"Life is not mandatory, life is what you make it"
  • kargisterkargister Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP, I see your problem. You've been playing these games as long as I have. You're starting to see the pattern. My condolences. Close your eyes now like the rest of the whining peasants and start squealing rollback. Theres a lot of comfort to be found in mindlessly following the herd.

That said, gotta agree with your post on this pretty much 110%....
  • superrioisksuperrioisk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aveloxi wrote: »
    You have obviously never heard of hyper-inflation or the Zimbabwean dollar. In fact, Zimbabwea actually did a "wipe" of their economy and currency in order to fix their runaway hyper-inflation. Not the first time, nor the last.

Also, ad hominem stereotype fail.

World War 2

Germany
    Murica

Hyper Inflation

Never wiped

Zimbabwe<Murica+Germany
  • funkmasterrickfunkmasterrick Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    OP, these kids probably couldn't handle System Shock 2. What makes you think they could handle grade-10 history?
  • spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    World War 2

Germany
    Murica

Hyper Inflation

Never wiped

Zimbabwe<Murica+Germany

My memory of history may be off but I seem to remember the old currency was replaced in Germany.
  • balthezorebalthezore Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dark souls was easy...please. Took me 15 mins of browsing and running around to get top tier gear and faceroll as pyromancer. "Hard" Sure. If you think that game is hard you obviously faild big time at it. There is NOTHING hard about it.

But on the topic. Yes games are dumped down big time. And yes every mmo had bunch of exploits.
    OP, these kids probably couldn't handle System Shock 2. What makes you think they could handle grade-10 history?

Calling people kids at internet gotta make your Ego skyrocket to scale 100%.
    edited May 2013
    I never mentioned customer support or communication with the players. Nice red herring there.

Bend over and take it? You think adapting and evolving is bending over and taking it? You know evolution exists, right? And it has yielded the best results. No sentient being has survived in this world by complaining to the Planet Earth devs.

You know by treating someone nicely you get better results. By instinct, people don't listen to people who are mean to them. You all are OVERREACTING to these situations. That was my point. Read the title of my post.

That is such a misrepresentation of biological evolution I don't know where to begin. The type of adaption you are talking about is not biological evolution which happens over generations. Evolution does NOT produce perfect nor the best results, that's why some animals are killed by others, why some people choke to death because you use the same hole for breathing and eating. The human eye is so imperfect there are entire books dedicated to that topic. When humans create eyes for robots, they will have zoom and no need for glasses.

Sentient beings, I assume to mean H. sapiens and other human species, survived by changing the environment around them to suit their needs, which is what people here are attempting to do. Except not all species of humans survived, soooo....

I like too how you say, "You know by treating someone nicely you get better results." but in your very first post there is a long list of insults directed at anyone that might disagree with you.
  • kaputzikaputzi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    He has made numerous contradictory statements as well as the one you've highlighted.

TBH I don't know why I'm compelled to comment here again given his idiotic generalizations and the fact that he hasn't yet acknowledged the truth in my statement re: justifying this game's exploitative failings with that of others, which makes his a flawed argument.

It's just become more apparent reading his posts that his perspective is so shallow it is impregnable with logic.
  • fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sure, if they investigate all the way to the head start then I don't see a wipe being necessary, but I doubt cryptic will put the time and resources to do that (not sure they even have it). So yeah, they'll fix some of the exploited AD but not all and that's just not acceptable. I'd rather have a complete wipe to fix all the exploits we've had so far, the game is still young so it's still doable. Most of the games you talked about had their exploits later on in their lifetime and doing a complete wipe then is really hard.. It's been out for 3 weeks and even if they do a rollback they'll have to rollback really far, like minimum 1/3rd of the games lifetime, which won't be that much better, still they won't get ride of all the damage that was made..
  • serobanseroban Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    see, i know where youre coming from in all of your points, but the only reason i want a wipe is cause of the mess all of Generated AD has caused/will cause. I honestly dont know how to fix that short of wipe/resetting ALL ad to 0. This exploit has infesting all levels of the economy, and if you have sold ANYTHING on the AH since the beginning of open beta you have gotten some of this counterfit AD through your chars too.

I understand that given time the economy WILL right itself, but the difference is between days or years.
    the sheer time it will take for the economy to "fix" the several Centillion (yes i said Centillion) est (by me, probally crazy high but maybe not) filtering through players/merchants organically is insane.

it seems to me that wipe is the easiest solution for all parties, maybe im being influenced by my mindset (pragmatist) but it would be easy.

btw i was one of the necros kiting Cazic Thule... those were good times

P.S. i dont mean this as a flame or anything like that i just want some sort of discourse to put myself at ease... im sorry for that :(
  • ikagawaikagawa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 106
    edited May 2013
    kaputzi wrote: »
    He has made numerous contradictory statements as well as the one you've highlighted.

TBH I don't know why I'm compelled to comment here again given his idiotic generalizations and the fact that he hasn't yet acknowledged the truth in my statement re: justifying this game's exploitative failings with that of others, which makes his a flawed argument.

It's just become more apparent reading his posts that his perspective is so shallow it is impregnable with logic.

What's worse is that people agree. There was even a post that was lauding his calling out others for their narcissism when he made a post that was nothing but smug and self-congratulatory.
    edited May 2013
    World War 2

Germany
    Murica

Hyper Inflation

Never wiped

Zimbabwe<Murica+Germany

I see. You said "All MMO and real life markets have balanced itself out over time. " I disproved you and now you are moving the goalposts. Good job.

However, Deutschmarks were worth only the paper they were printed on, because the government was printing money to pay the bills, which one could liken to duping, and then underwent currency reform, which many governments/economies have gone through.
  • yurateiyuratei Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2013
    I don't follow with what you are talking about. I'm mentioning the way of thinking you all have. It's more of a meta-analysis. If anything it's very relevant.

And here is why your post is a waste of time. You come in with a superior attitude (just get someone with an unbiased point of view to tell you how the title of your thread comes off) and you use terms like "the way of thinking you all have." It's very easy to see that you're full of yourself and can only see things from your own perspective. It's no wonder that people are flocking to disagree with you, because you set yourself up for that from the very start.
    edited May 2013
    That is such a misrepresentation of biological evolution I don't know where to begin. The type of adaption you are talking about is not biological evolution which happens over generations. Evolution does NOT produce perfect nor the best results, that's why some animals are killed by others, why some people choke to death because you use the same hole for breathing and eating. The human eye is so imperfect there are entire books dedicated to that topic. When humans create eyes for robots, they will have zoom and no need for glasses.

Sentient beings, I assume to mean H. sapiens and other human species, survived by changing the environment around them to suit their needs, which is what people here are attempting to do. Except not all species of humans survived, soooo....

I like too how you say, "You know by treating someone nicely you get better results." but in your very first post there is a long list of insults directed at anyone that might disagree with you.

1) I wasn't trying to yield any results with people like you. I mentioned that in my post.

2) In regards to evolution, this game is not perfect, nor ever will there be a perfect game. Games fail. SWG failed, but some people really had a lot of fun with it.

3) A lot of people complain to the Planet Earth devs, sometimes they have a lot of names for them or him/her/it/shim. One that I know of it called God.

4) Ants are more efficient than **** sapiens in changing their environment. They haven't had to change form or evolve for thousands of years (proof in amber studies). Don't discount other sentient beings than italicized **** sapiens.
    edited May 2013
    yuratei wrote: »
    And here is why your post is a waste of time. You come in with a superior attitude (just get someone with an unbiased point of view to tell you how the title of your thread comes off) and you use terms like "the way of thinking you all have." It's very easy to see that you're full of yourself and can only see things from your own perspective. It's no wonder that people are flocking to disagree with you, because you set yourself up for that from the very start.

People are also flocking with agreeing with me. Read the responses and see I don't think I have a superior attitude. I share the same attitude with a lot of people. Again, read the responses.
    edited May 2013
    ikagawa wrote: »
    What's worse is that people agree. There was even a post that was lauding his calling out others for their narcissism when he made a post that was nothing but smug and self-congratulatory.

So true. Unlikely, though, the OP will see the undeniable logic in this statement.
    edited May 2013
    I see. You said "All MMO and real life markets have balanced itself out over time. " I disproved you and now you are moving the goalposts. Good job.

However, Deutschmarks were worth only the paper they were printed on, because the government was printing money to pay the bills, which one could liken to duping, and then underwent currency reform, which many governments/economies have gone through.

reform /= wipe
    edited May 2013
    kaputzi wrote: »
    So true. Unlikely, though, the OP will see the undeniable logic in this statement.

V_V the only response people have to opinion pieces that don't go with the flow is that I am self-centered, know-it-all, and have a superiority complex. Good job guys.
  • morvek01morvek01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    One thing destroys your point. This is a F2P game. Exploiters, the smart ones, will have multiple accounts to hold their loot. If even a small handful of these accounts are missed with the numbers of AD that caused this uproar to begin with, it will have an adverse affect on the economy. The only way to ensure all of them are caught is a wipe to day 1. I've been playing everyday (not all day but for at least 3-4 hours each day) and I just hit 60 this morning and got my first companion to rank 30 today. All quest/grind xp. My professions are level 14. I'd STILL rather see a wipe and have to go through the last 3 weeks all over again than know cheaters were allowed to get away with cheating and ruin mine and other players gameplay experience later.
    If you can't be constructive in your criticism, go back to world-of-whiners.
  • serobanseroban Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    morvek01 wrote: »
    One thing destroys your point. This is a F2P game. Exploiters, the smart ones, will have multiple accounts to hold their loot. If even a small handful of these accounts are missed with the numbers of AD that caused this uproar to begin with, it will have an adverse affect on the economy. The only way to ensure all of them are caught is a wipe to day 1. I've been playing everyday (not all day but for at least 3-4 hours each day) and I just hit 60 this morning and got my first companion to rank 30 today. All quest/grind xp. My professions are level 14. I'd STILL rather see a wipe and have to go through the last 3 weeks all over again than know cheaters were allowed to get away with cheating and ruin mine and other players gameplay experience later.

thats what ive been trying to say... this exploit has been around since day one, and i dont know if people are intentionally ignoring the magnitude or what not, but the market is completely destroyed and with out a wipe the market will stay messed up.

account bans do nothing cause there is no CC requirement so good chance exploiters have multiple accounts, each with multiple items (not AD) for when the SHTF.

OP talks about all the great games of way back when (games i also played) but im not sure if he sees the magnitutde of this, because i have not seen anything like this in all my years. And for when the BS remark comes about "so and so situation " in "so and so game" THEY WERE NOT CREATING WEALTH OUT OF THIN AIR LIKE THEY DID HERE.

Even duping... still a finite amount of wealth in the economy
  • mystmysteriummystmysterium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To the OP: Your superior attitude makes you no better than the rest of us. I would support a wipe. Sorry that does not float your boat, but you are not the end all perfect opinion in the world; honest.

I support your right to your opinion but like buttholes, everyone has one, opinions that is.

Peace be with you, Myst
    edited May 2013
    V_V the only response people have to opinion pieces that don't go with the flow is that I am self-centered, know-it-all, and have a superiority complex. Good job guys.

"You are all the cancer that is killing MMOs and made them how they are today" and "You complainers are all basement dwellers" are just two examples of statements which indeed highlight your notion of superiority.

"People like me who play casually sigh with all the hard work they did over a weekend". So your 'hard-work' is not comparable to the hard work I or others have put in? I'd say that smacks of a somewhat self-centered statement, yes.

Not only is your original argument so full of holes as I've already pointed out, you continue to contradict previous statements. Good job yourself.
    edited May 2013
    I agree with OP. But I feel it's important to point out that I don't do so blindly.

In recent years, this phenomenon has been popularly referred to as the "CoD mentality," but it has always been around.

I've played a lot of difficult games. DotA has never been a cakewalk, Allegiance (which is surprisingly still going, though not strongly nearly fifteen years after Microsoft cut the cord), UO was probably the biggest pita but had a certain satisfaction associated with it that I've rarely found elsewhere.

I've also played easier games. I bought BF3 and the premium pack to get all the expansions. I think I've touched it once in the last six months. I get high and play TF2 every now and again. Et cetera.

So, when a friend mentioned this game coming into open beta, I checked it out. I've been playing D&D at the tabletop (and at virtual tabletops) since 2e was in vogue. I never approved of the lore or game mechanics of 4e, but admit the mechanics translate fairly well to an MMO setting (especially since the game was basically designed as an MMO to appeal to more casual gamers).

So, I've seen a drastic decline, generally, in thought requirements as developers decide to put time requirements into games instead. I understand the line of reasoning: back in my WoW days, Thottbot turned a game that the devs pictured as an adventure where you need to explore and figure things out into a game where you get a quest, check a website, and then go do the quest as quickly as possible. Coming from a tabletop background, this seems to me like a waste of time. Monkey Island made a good go of that sort of mechanic, but at least it didn't pretend to be in another genre.

And then there's Neverwinter. From the beginning, it had a surprisingly fresh combat style. This has since been diminished by repitition.

Over all, PWE has a well-earned reputation for finding a good franchise with a strong fanbase, building a quick MMO around it, and then milking it quickly. They move on before their mistakes catch up with them.

The point I'm slowly working my way toward is their chosen market. With the prices they charge, their biggest market is going to be people without self-discipline. At first, I figured it was a complete pay-to-win scheme cleverly disguised as free-to-play. But I pushed on anyway, and found it wasn't quite that bad. But I've given up on being competent at any professions for a long time due to the lack of bag-space. And I've given up on having a decent companion (for which the content is clearly balanced - watch your companion go from being an awesome help at level 30 to being a five-second distraction at level 50).

But some people haven't. For a while now, some dude who has had a forum post saying he spent over $600 (and is in favour of a wipe, which is irrelevant to my point). How can someone have spent that much money on a game ever, much less in so little time?

The answer is that everything in this game is cleverly designed to attract people without self-discipline. They are the people who need to have everything perfect, and, like, right now. And because some highly amusing shenanigans took place, now they want a wipe.

Calling those who oppose you egotistical is pretty much the oldest trick in the debate book. I recall hearing that a book on politics and the tactics of politicians, written in ancient Rome, had been transliterated into English some time ago. I bet you'd find that tactic there, too. But honestly, people who lack self-discipline aren't worth my time. I consider myself more valuable than them in almost every way. And really, am I wrong?
  • xaciusxacius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    Right...and all the other examples end with: it was fixed. This is the second Cryptic game this has happened in....this same exact exploit..so apparently it wasn't fixed. Everyone gets that there are bugs, exploits, yadda yadda in every single game made. The fact that this exploit..on a cash shop game..hinders more than any of those exploits you slapped up there from p2p games combine..is a whole other bag of tricks...but that's just semantics right? The economy in this game..is much more important than the economy in a p2p module for NUMEROUS reasons.
    edited May 2013
    For the love of...

I've already posted on a few occasions that the OP's apparent logic that exploitative failings in other games are justification for the ones you find here is severely flawed. Its equally as frustrating to have to offer some perspective which is not yet apparent though, in my opinion, as obvious as a punch in the face:

This is an exploit which has severely affected the games economy. An economy which is part-driven by real life money (this point key). With the influx of 'fake' currency comes inflation and the devaluation of currency that some people have spent real-life money to obtain (this point is key). The ramifications here are not comparable to the stupid example of a class imbalance in DAoC or other games the OP has listed.

Get it yet?

The OP starts a massive QQ thread with statements like: "You are all the cancer that is killing MMOs and made them how they are today" and "You complainers are all basement dwellers" beacause; "People like me who play casually sigh with all the hard work they did over a weekend". Evidently he fears his 'hard-work' may be undone with a roll-back or wipe.

Consider the people (of which I'm not one btw) that have worked IRL, not in an online game with elves to be shafted by exploiters.

Have some perspective you whiny pleb
    edited May 2013
    Ahh, copy-paste engineering. And people still defend this game. =p
    edited May 2013
    1) I wasn't trying to yield any results with people like you. I mentioned that in my post.

2) In regards to evolution, this game is not perfect, nor ever will there be a perfect game. Games fail. SWG failed, but some people really had a lot of fun with it.

3) A lot of people complain to the Planet Earth devs, sometimes they have a lot of names for them or him/her/it/shim. One that I know of it called God.

4) Ants are more efficient than **** sapiens in changing their environment. They haven't had to change form or evolve for thousands of years (proof in amber studies). Don't discount other sentient beings than italicized **** sapiens.

1) People like me? You mean intelligent people that can point out your logical fallacies (which you have yet to address)? BTW, I have not yet said in this thread whether I am for or against a wipe.

2) You were not referring to the game but to people "adapting" and "evolving" to the crisis the game is in. As unclean as it makes me feel, I agree there is no perfect game.

3) I'm not sure what your point is. That complaining does nothing? That the squeaky wheel gets the oil? That god(s) arn't real?

4) Ants are not self-aware as humans are. Ants act on instinct.

Sidenote: The basic ant form (three segments, six legs, etc) has been around for millions, not thousands, of years, but nonetheless ants continue to evolve, even if in miniscule ways; eg resistance to pesticides.