test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Review-for-Review - Running Foundries Non-Stop All Day!

Comments

• rixenatorzrixenatorz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    todocaldo wrote: »
    I'll check yours out when the shard is back up. I'll edit this post with my review. Looking forward to yours from the reviews so far.

Please help me get my quest out of Review Hell - NW-DFGF2UXQH

Thanks!

Back with my review as promised: 4/5 stars

Good: Dialogue (very good writing), Settings (the interiors were very good, especially the library)

Bad: Combat (too many stacked encounters, and too easy to pull multiple encounters)

Needs Work: Flesh it out a bit to make it seem more "real". Lower caverns are awfully empty, everything in the inn is just a bit too "perfect" go into 3D edit mode and slightly turn most things no one perfectly places things at 90 degree angles :). NPC chat blurbs in library are referencing questions the player hasn't asked and the player can see names of NPCs the player hasn't learned yet (picky I know).

Overall well done and I'm looking forward to updates and the next installment of the story.

Thank you for your thoughts, I'll keep them in mind on my next revision.

I'm currently sitting in your Foundry quest. I am supposed to Enter Tappers. When I went to teh door I had two options, one to open it, the other to interact with it. I chose to Interact. I knelt down, there was an Interacting... bar, and upon completion nothing happened. I'm still supposed to enter Tappers but the door is now not able to be activated. I've talked to both talk-able NPCs with no luck. Any help here?

Been enjoying it so far, but kind of stuck at the moment. Get back to me and I'll replay it when I get the chance.
    edited May 2013
    I checked yours out. It was quick but fun, and I enjoyed the design of the 2nd map.

Here is mine: NW-DDZ6NDJ9W
    The Legend of Adlez

Just played and greatly enjoyed it. I'm hesitant to say how long it took me to realize it was a Legend of Zelda reference. <_< I am not a smart girl.

Anyways, I accidnetallly pressed Escape too fast and was unable to rate it. I enjoyed it and want to rate you though so I'm going to play it again tonight or tomorrow to be sure I can give you an actual rating. But I enjoyed it a lot. :)
  • todocaldotodocaldo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rixenatorz wrote: »
    Thank you for your thoughts, I'll keep them in mind on my next revision.

I'm currently sitting in your Foundry quest. I am supposed to Enter Tappers. When I went to teh door I had two options, one to open it, the other to interact with it. I chose to Interact. I knelt down, there was an Interacting... bar, and upon completion nothing happened. I'm still supposed to enter Tappers but the door is now not able to be activated. I've talked to both talk-able NPCs with no luck. Any help here?

Been enjoying it so far, but kind of stuck at the moment. Get back to me and I'll replay it when I get the chance.

I just ran through that myself and saw that for the 1st time. Odd too as there is nothing there that is interactable, should be just the door. I'll see what I can do and get back to you.

EDIT: Should be fixed now, try it again please :)
    edited May 2013
    neurojam wrote: »
    Hey I checked out your quest. I Thought that the library was a good environment and "Dammit I'm not an evil librarian!" was pretty funny.
    Just a few too many ghosts in the basement, but overall it was a good quest with a good story.

If you could check out my quest- Ye Old Chuckle Hut Code:NW-DQ1PGH6HW
    Thanx

Haha, I loved your map! There were some typos in the dialogues but that was no real problem. I chuckled a few times, for sure.

One thing of note, there's a pillar that's having some problems near the back door. http://i.imgur.com/SEhfEae.jpg The pillar on the left there seems like it may be doing something weird.
    edited May 2013
    todocaldo wrote: »
    I just ran through that myself and saw that for the 1st time. Odd too as there is nothing there that is interactable, should be just the door. I'll see what I can do and get back to you.

EDIT: Should be fixed now, try it again please :)

Thanks for fixing that. I went back to play it again and was able to get farther, but to be honest I'm not even sure if I was able to complete it.

I followed the Mayor into his house, he gave me information to come back to Protector's Enclave with. When I zoned into Protector's Enclave I had no quests at all; nothing in my log, no pixie dust, no quest markers. On a hunch I went to talk to Alrica and she was interactable. She gave me a note to take to Speculator Zigto though I still was given no active quest information. I found the Speculator but I cannot speak to him.

I'm unaware if this is something in the quest design or if it bugged out; it's entirely possible it's game-side bug. I don't know. /shrug

Edited to add: Weird freaking bug I guess. I did another Foundry quest then when I returned from THAT one your quest was back in my logs. xD Other than teh bug (which I'm sure wasn't your fault) this was a very nice quest. Not overly difficult but didn't put me to sleep. I liked it!
  • pavvopavvo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey
    Appreciate if you could review mine. Both soloable
    Author: pavvo

3 Suns Aligned
    NW-DFEKZANXF

Holy Symbol of Khyber
    NW-DU3HEVWJ7
    The Tale of the 3 Suns - NWS-DA9XX8WIV
    #1: 3 Suns Aligned NW-DFEKZANXF
    #2: The Amulet of the Shining Sun NW-DRKKGUI26
    #2 has choices that give a high amount of replayability

The Legend of Khyber - NWS-DK33EIYMY
    #1: The Holy Symbol of Khyber NW-DU3HEVWJ7
    #2: The Gauntlets of Khyber NW-DN0006FAZ
    Heavy combat/light story
    edited May 2013
    wayolen wrote: »
    I'll give yours a go this evening - Mine is in my sig. Feel fre to be direct. Its a conbat quest that will be part of a larger capaign - I haven't worked out the plot points yet or the other maps so there isn't much story in it yet. I would like to have the general enounter tested by someone else . Its meant to be doable solo - but a challenge. Please let me know if you think it acomplishes that goal or if its too easy/hard. Also I put an easter egg in it - see if you can find it. I more thing, the bosses fight is alittle tough so bring some pots. Enjoy

Here are my thoughts on yours. I know you said that the plot points and such will be added later, so I'm going to try not to focus on storyline, just on observations about what is in place now.

It is very very unpolished.

When I started the quest my quest just said "The Gauntlet." It could have said "Seek out Boatswain Stoutbeard" or something. When I went to zone the map icon to choose was in its default resting place and had no icon chosen for it. You couldn't spend 2 seconds choosing an icon and dragging it somewhere? Instant impression was of someone who didn't put time into their quest.

Zoned in and a chest is floating ~4 inches off the ground.

Boatswain Stoutbeard tells me that the gauntlet is the final step to the ritual of ascension. Final step? This is my first step, what were all the previous steps? Unless you're going to add them in later I would just call this the first step, or the most important step, or something like that. Making it the final step implies there was something before it that we didn't get to see.

Typo: "I'm preety sure your making this up." should be "I'm pretty sure you're making this up."

I have just reached the area in the back half where there is lots of aqua-colored smoke/fog. This quest has become virtually unplayable. I **** you not my framerate is 8, and I've got a pretty nice machine. I like what you were going for with teh fog, obscuring what's ahead and whatnot, but it's too much. I'm going to tough it out for no other reason than I've already put this much work into the quest, I demand my reward xp. But if I didn't care about reviewing everything in this thread I would quit right now.

Feel free to be direct, you say? Alright, but I still worry I'm being harsher than I'd like to seem.

TL;DR: Your quest was freaking stupid, and not in a good way. I try to be positive even if quests are meh but your quest was the first one that I actually hated. I've been unimpressed with some quests but yours made me want to turn off the computer and go to sleep. I'm not generally one to complain about difficulty, I like a challenge. But theres' fun challenging and then tehre's feeling like you just got ****ed out of a bunch of healing potions for nothing in return.

What you need to do to make it playable:

-Ditch the fog. What it adds in ambience is not worth the fact it kills framerates.
    -Nerf the pulls. The size of the packs aren't bad but the amount of tougher enemies in each pull makes them not-fun. I like a challenge, I don't like feeling like the quest creator just thought "How can I make it frustrating?" with every encounter they placed.
    -Put campfires at every corner, not at teh opposite area. (Assuming this is possible, TBH I don't know.) I just know that the run back if you die to killer fog lag is way too long. Evidence: I died on the last boss and have written this entire TL;DR while auto running and am STILL not back to the room with the boss in it.

Seriously, the idea isn't bad for people who just like mob grindy dungeons but the execution of the idea was absolutely awful. This is the first quest I would not recommend to others.

Oh, look, I just died again. Can't wait to make that run back again.
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey there, are you still playing through missions? I'm something of a well known STO Foundry author and I'm trying my hand at NW's.
    For some reason you HAVE to search by the shortcode or it won't appear.
    *Edit - I occasionally have trouble getting it to appear at all. Let me know your experience.
    A PW employee who's using the "PWE User" forum title instead of the Cryptic Employee title. The PW tag appears in the main forum and clicking it goes to that post as well.
    employee.jpg
  • slaidzslaidz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hey there, are you still playing through missions? I'm something of a well known STO Foundry author and I'm trying my hand at NW's.

The Blackwood Scourge
    by @RogueEnterprise
    nw-dfilsbt75

For some reason you HAVE to search by the shortcode or it won't appear.
    *Edit - I occasionally have trouble getting it to appear at all. Let me know your experience.

Neverwinter's foundry search is extremely broken. Simply put, it sucks.
    edited May 2013
    A PW employee who's using the "PWE User" forum title instead of the Cryptic Employee title. The PW tag appears in the main forum and clicking it goes to that post as well.
    employee.jpg

I noticed that too, WTF is that? What's that mean?

Anyways, folks, I'm going to be running errands today and running more foundries tonight. If you want your foundry on the top of my Review list be sure to play and review mine! Currently I've reviewed all people who have already reviewed me, meaning anyone who reviews my quest is at the top of my list when I start tonight.

NW-DB8OXX3R5
  • chinspinnerchinspinner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Anyways, folks, I'm going to be running errands today and running more foundries tonight. If you want your foundry on the top of my Review list be sure to play and review mine! Currently I've reviewed all people who have already reviewed me, meaning anyone who reviews my quest is at the top of my list when I start tonight.

NW-DB8OXX3R5

If you fancy it mine is in my sig
    My new quest:

WIP
  • gazza126gazza126 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hey if your still running foundries. fancy running through mine?
    i'll review yours and a few others here later on (revising atm bloody finals)

Request
    Author: Welsh4evr
    Campaign Name: Wizard's Choice
    Quest Name: Wizard's Choice Chapter 1
    Short code: NW-DQ7P2NSND

It was supposed to be multiple choice which would have added alot more depth and combat but i havn't figured it out yet so i've published in the current state

thank you

turns out i accidently altered some things in my last publish so there are some errors (mainly in detail placement).

by the way this is not the final form of this quest. i still have one more minor area with a bit more combat to add. i just havn't decided how to do it yet so i'm publishing in this state atm where there is not much combat but quite alot of dialogue.
    Wizard's Choice Chapter 1
    NW-DQ7P2NSND
    A wizard's quest to save himself, and his companions
    edited May 2013
    It means your quests are competing with PW employees own quests, and their own quests are not marked as such.
    not_marked.jpg
  • keylord02keylord02 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've got no problem with that as long as we're all using the same toolset.

I might even get ideas from their stuff!
    Tomb of Wernar by @Lya
    Short code: NW-DJGYNI7NH

In this old school-style adventure, the hero(es) explore an old ruined castle while searching for a fabled magic item at the behest of a wizard.
  • aristarchos01aristarchos01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I will run your quest today if you could also run and review mine.
    My quest is on my signature.
    Thanks in advance
    Quest : The Kidnapped Bride Short Code : NW-DP3KMHTRP Author : @Aristarchos
  • haloferthhaloferth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Would really appreciate the reviews! Happy to run yours when I'm on :)
    Here's a link to my lonely post haha: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?210141-A-Treacherous-Betrayal-(Foundry-Quest)&highlight=treacherous

A Treacherous Betrayal
    NW-DTJWJHWXK
    @haloferth
    (currently in review stage so you'll have to type the code into 'best' section of catalogue)
  • fuglnfugln Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    Two of mine in the signature. Would be awesome if you could test them out and give review. I will test out Damsel's, and share it with my guildies! GO!
    Little Red Cap and the Bad Wolf
    ID: NW-DC42XFJ5B
    Author: @Fugln
    Quest
    Tag: #Combat, #story, #GROUP

NWS-DA213JHNY - The Shadows of the Sword Coast
    NW-DE6UU7ZQA - Chapter One - A Fool's Errand.
    Author: @Fugln
    Tag: #Story #Solo #Group #Humor.
  • todocaldotodocaldo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Edited to add: Weird freaking bug I guess. I did another Foundry quest then when I returned from THAT one your quest was back in my logs. xD Other than teh bug (which I'm sure wasn't your fault) this was a very nice quest. Not overly difficult but didn't put me to sleep. I liked it!

Glad you got to finish it, that bug is driving me crazy and I'm looking for a work around. I like returning to PE but I think that may causing the problem.

Anyway, thanks for your time. Feel free to pm me if you ever need another review.
  • dezstravusdezstravus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey All,

Not sure why that account tripped the dev tracker, but I may have fixed it. Unfortunately I had to remove the post since there was no way to retroactively remove the flag. Sorry about that. Rogueenterprise, do you mind re-posting so I can verify that the issue has been resolved?
    edited May 2013
    I will run your quest today if you could also run and review mine.
    My quest is on my signature.
    Thanks in advance

Thank you for your review on my quest. :)

I just finished yours. Of the quests I've played so far your writing has been the best. It was detailed without being tiresome and a voice really comes through in the dialogue. I enjoyed reading every passage.

I hope Edwood is truly a recurring character because it seems like he could be quite interesting, I hope to see him again. :)
  • tarum89tarum89 Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    Hi, i published my quest some days ago but no one plaid it :(
    If you'd like to test, here it's

Short code: NW-DB5GERXA3
    "An Artifact from the Depths"

It's a classical rpg quest with mistery, dialogues, monsters, some little puzzles and in my opinion lot of fun!

the issue i found (but i experienced it in every foundry quest) the music and the custom effect i added doesn't work...

Cheers!
  • devvanesdevvanes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey All,

Not sure why that account tripped the dev tracker, but I may have fixed it. Unfortunately I had to remove the post since there was no way to retroactively remove the flag. Sorry about that. Rogueenterprise, do you mind re-posting so I can verify that the issue has been resolved?

This sounds a bit suspicious. I don't believe that's how forums work where they just "bug out" and apply flags to random people. From all my years of forum administration I can tell that much.

Cover-up much? :D
  • aristarchos01aristarchos01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for your review on my quest. :)

I just finished yours. Of the quests I've played so far your writing has been the best. It was detailed without being tiresome and a voice really comes through in the dialogue. I enjoyed reading every passage.

I hope Edwood is truly a recurring character because it seems like he could be quite interesting, I hope to see him again. :)

Thank you very much for the review.

I also thoroughly enjoyed your quest. The maps were beautiful and well planned out. I really had a sense of where I was supposed to be. The story flowed along nicely. I am honestly waiting to see more and find out what happens next.

Loved the "not an evil Librarian" text. Was placed perfectly and made me chuckle aloud!

The Library towards the end was a bit of a nice surprise. It had named characters throughout with great detail given to each.
    Also *spoiler alert* it was good to see the bartender NOT be a turn-coat, secretly undead, evil wizard, etc. Was just good to see the quest giver being sincere. Outstanding job overall!!!
    Quest : The Kidnapped Bride Short Code : NW-DP3KMHTRP Author : @Aristarchos
  • gazza126gazza126 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rixentors. i'm currently playing through yours now. will give you a full in-game review at the end. just want to mention one thing before i forget.
    Try to avoid encounter stacking. having multiple encounters on top of each other causes major problems at higher levels. even easy mobs like rotters can cause problems to a level 60 when paired with a standard group. I tend to not carry much potions and injury kits( due to bag space) and as a TR with only one AOE really i needed more than i had on me so it caused a few problems. i'm going to complete it but it's going to take me longer than it should :P.
    Due to the way the foundry scales to level mob stacking is generally not a good thing to do
    Wizard's Choice Chapter 1
    NW-DQ7P2NSND
    A wizard's quest to save himself, and his companions
  • rogueeenterpriserogueeenterprise Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Uh okay. Test?

Btw rixenatorz I played your quest, I thought was pretty good! Some of the combat is pretty tough and I had to run away and chug heal potions as fast as I could, but I did make it through without dying. Combat difficulty testing is also something I've been wrestling with.
  • ambermajambermaj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    devvanes wrote: »
    This sounds a bit suspicious. I don't believe that's how forums work where they just "bug out" and apply flags to random people. From all my years of forum administration I can tell that much.

Cover-up much? :D

I have seen a few 'PWE User' posts show up in the Dev Tracker over the last few days. They tend to disappear fairly fast. I am unsure why but it has been a recurring theme.

Either PW employees aren't remembering to dissociate their personal accounts from their official ones or there is a glitch in the system. I will leave it to the individual to decide which they believe. . .
    Cuz you sebestimated me!
  • franksersfranksers Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi, I published my first quest last night. If you are still reviewing quests I'd like some feedback on mine if possible. Will review yours now.

My quest:
    Part 1: Whispers of Melal
    NW-DJMNAUD8H
    @SirFranks

I poured a lot of time into my quest and I'm interested to find out how I did. I have a second part to the story planned and partially made already.
    Campaign: Forgotten Conflicts
    Part 1: Whispers of Melal NW-DJMNAUD8H
    Part 2: Ruins of Melal: In progress
    edited May 2013
    ambermaj wrote: »
    I have seen a few 'PWE User' posts show up in the Dev Tracker over the last few days. They tend to disappear fairly fast. I am unsure why but it has been a recurring theme.

Either PW employees aren't remembering to dissociate their personal accounts from their official ones or there is a glitch in the system. I will leave it to the individual to decide which they believe. . .
    Well, the twitter account of the same name as the deleted post publicly lists their location as a place 15 minutes from Cryptic hq.
  • nokturnelnokturnel Member Posts: 173 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    franksers wrote: »
    Hi, I published my first quest last night. If you are still reviewing quests I'd like some feedback on mine if possible. Will review yours now.

My quest:
    Part 1: Whispers of Melal
    NW-DJMNAUD8H
    @SirFranks

I poured a lot of time into my quest and I'm interested to find out how I did. I have a second part to the story planned and partially made already.

Just tried to look up your quest, via both the code and author search and no results were found..
    tarum89 wrote: »
    Hi, i published my quest some days ago but no one plaid it :(
    If you'd like to test, here it's

Short code: NW-DB5GERXA3
    "An Artifact from the Depths"

It's a classical rpg quest with mistery, dialogues, monsters, some little puzzles and in my opinion lot of fun!

the issue i found (but i experienced it in every foundry quest) the music and the custom effect i added doesn't work...

Cheers!

Same problem can't find it via code (I'm lvl 59 and am able to look at quests up for review)
    -Protect the Caravan-
    Fun 15-20 Minute Heavy Combat Quest with a difficulty slider. Hand crafted environments and encounters.
    Code: NW-DSVCX8LD4
    Thread URL: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?257391-Protect-the-Caravan
  • slaidzslaidz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Eh, I don't think it really matters to be honest.

That said, I'd love to get some feedback.