test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

One Star Reviews

124»

Comments

• Options
    hercul33thercul33t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 190 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This is where you are making a mistake. You do not get negative rating for giving out 1 star ratings. If you gave a 1 star rating and said " THIS SUX I GOT LEWT FOR THE WRONG CLASS" odds are people will down vote you. However, if you gave a 1 star and wrote, "This quest had a poorly written storyline, the encounters were overstacked making it near impossible to complete and all the rooms were empty. No scenery" I personally would up vote something like this because it is constructive and explains WHY the vote was so low.

I liked the map and I think the guy is wrong about everything he wrote. I will now review his review accordingly. You're just adding another layer of the same system.

Let's head over to reddit and see how the upvote/downvote system actually works compared to how it is supposed to work.
    Dr. Herc trilogy NWS-DHDPDVTMA
  • Options
    popeonarope101popeonarope101 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hercul33t wrote: »
    I liked the map and I think the guy is wrong about everything he wrote. I will now review his review accordingly. You're just adding another layer of the same system.

Let's head over to reddit and see how the upvote/downvote system actually works compared to how it is supposed to work.

So you down vote that review and write one of your own and let the people decide if your opinion was useful, in the same way you just did.

I do understand your point and I am not saying it is invalid. Perhaps as an alternative just an up-vote system would be better? A good review that the community finds useful gets a thumbs up, added weight, and higher placement on the review list. A poor review/troll will just sit there and filter to the bottom.
  • Options
    coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    hercul33t wrote: »

The idea is if you add a weight system to stop the stars from being used to troll how do you stop the trolls from using the weight system. I go in, give you 5 stars and the troll comes in and down votes my 5 star review as inaccurate, up votes the 1 star review of "L2P ****" as accurate and now your WEIGHT system is in the same boat. Hercul33t is dead on target here. Adding another system on top of this one that ostensibly works the exact same way as the current one but rates the ratings is a flawed idea that has been tried and failed elsewhere.
    So you down vote that review and write one of your own and let the people decide if your opinion was useful, in the same way you just did.

I do understand your point and I am not saying it is invalid. Perhaps as an alternative just an up-vote system would be better? A good review that the community finds useful gets a thumbs up, added weight, and higher placement on the review list. A poor review/troll will just sit there and filter to the bottom.

In this case the trolls simply upvote all the 1 star ratings keeping them in circulation. No, the flaw is a failure to understand human nature and simply accept that people are complex creatures. Ratings are perfectly fine as they are right now.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    coanunn wrote: »
    The idea is if you add a weight system to stop the stars from being used to troll how do you stop the trolls from using the weight system. I go in, give you 5 stars and the troll comes in and down votes my 5 star review as inaccurate, up votes the 1 star review of "L2P ****" as accurate and now your WEIGHT system is in the same boat. Hercul33t is dead on target here. Adding another system on top of this one that ostensibly works the exact same way as the current one but rates the ratings is a flawed idea that has been tried and failed elsewhere.

Now this is constructive. Thank you. When put this way, you are absolutely right. Perhaps my suggestion just above would be better?
  • Options
    chinspinnerchinspinner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now this is constructive. Thank you. When put this way, you are absolutely right. Perhaps my suggestion just above would be better?

Get a room...
    My new quest:

WIP
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Get a room...

I don't understand. Please explain.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I don't understand. Please explain.

Was joking, do I really need to explain this? ok, get a room is a common remark when two people are getting it on, I said it in an ironic sense. If you have to explain a joke it has failed.
    My new quest:

WIP
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Was joking, do I really need to explain this? ok, get a room is a common remark when two people are getting it on, I said it in an ironic sense. If you have to explain a joke it has failed.

I up vote this comment.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • Options
    hercul33thercul33t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 190 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I up vote this comment.

Well I downvote it and also downvote you for upvoting it.
    Dr. Herc trilogy NWS-DHDPDVTMA
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Yea I know. Just turned it around having some fun as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yea I know. Just turned it around having some fun as well.

Thank God, I thought you were in some sort of mental institute.
    My new quest:

WIP
  • Options
    selaralselaral Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One one star review from someone who rushed through the dialog. Hurray! \o/

I would like to see a system put in where if they speed through the dialog so fast they cannot rate it.

Multiple Personas, only 'One' me
    "Why should one devolve themselves to try and entertain those of a lesser mindset around them?"
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My trick is to ensure that spamming '1' in dialogs cycles without resolution or fails outright.

Don't want to read my story? Shove off and go play a skirmish, you wang.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just got a one star on one of my quests with a rather racist statement. I reported it to the GMs, but my ticket is #1,666,783 so I doubt anything will happen with it.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You could just change the rating system to be.

[Liked it]

[Loved it]

And leave it at that.

If you truly don't like something, then you don't rate. The bad maps will just have low or 0 likes/loves.

Pretty simple right? People could still leave stupid messages or legit complaints, but atleast they couldn't troll and actually skew your rating/views or w/e.

Also, can't people review a map w/o completing it anymore? So how does making it longer help?
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drakedge2 wrote: »
    I just got a one star on one of my quests with a rather racist statement. I reported it to the GMs, but my ticket is #1,666,783 so I doubt anything will happen with it.

Don't let it bother you too bad man. People used to message me after games on Starcraft 2 calling me the C and the G words. Just report 'em and hope they get banned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mamatankmamatank Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »

[Liked it]

[Loved it]

And leave it at that.

If you truly don't like something, then you don't rate. The bad maps will just have low or 0 likes/loves.

Pretty simple right? People could still leave stupid messages or legit complaints, but atleast they couldn't troll and actually skew your rating/views or w/e.

Also, can't people review a map w/o completing it anymore? So how does making it longer help?

I actually really like this idea.

Don't allow negativity to hurt a quests rating at all. If people like the quest, they can support it and quests that are liked the most will have the highest rating. Trolls would have really no power at all under this system.

The only thing is everyone who completed a quest would still need to be able to write a review. Negative feedback can be a very useful tool for authors to make better quests and also give a reason to improve as a DM. If your quests aren't popular enough, read your reviews and try to learn from them.

Also, I'm not sure if the system already works this way, but you should only be able to rate a quest one time per account.
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited May 2013

[Liked it]

[Loved it]

And leave it at that.

I too like this system, it's simple and effective.

They also need some incentive to get people's adventures some plays, I have a couple of friends who have created solid 4 star worthy quests and they have less than 100 plays. But this is for another thread.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Cryptic comes up with, if they come up with anything.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I got a review that basically said the loot was ****, and the reviewer acknowledged that it was out of my control, but still gave a bad review because of it. I just find that irritating. But then again, the foundry does take twice as long to level up in, you risk running broken quests, and the loot is bad, so I cannot really blame him. In conclusion the fault is with PW.
    My new quest:

WIP
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    Don't let it bother you too bad man. People used to message me after games on Starcraft 2 calling me the C and the G words. Just report 'em and hope they get banned.
    The C word that refers to women is not an autofiltered word on the forums. Someone started a thread with it in the title in gen discussion a while back. I took a screenshot I was so amazed.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

[Liked it]

[Loved it]

And leave it at that.

And what about those authors who want to see the negative feedback so they can improve? See this comes from that generation of "everyone gets a trophy for participation". NO. Sometimes you do bad and get told you did bad. Sometimes you did ok and get told you did bad. Sometimes you even do amazing and get told you did bad. That is how you grow. If you are never challenged, never advised where a fault lies you continue doing exactly what you are doing, making the same mistakes.
  • Options
    granatargranatar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And what about those authors who want to see the negative feedback so they can improve? See this comes from that generation of "everyone gets a trophy for participation". NO. Sometimes you do bad and get told you did bad. Sometimes you did ok and get told you did bad. Sometimes you even do amazing and get told you did bad. That is how you grow. If you are never challenged, never advised where a fault lies you continue doing exactly what you are doing, making the same mistakes.

I agree, hit me baby, I can take it. But one of the things is, my negative comments on my maps really don't help me. I got stuff that says, needs work, or boring. How do i take, needs work and make that in something I can use? and a comment like Boring could be directed at the story or encounters or long walks between objectives.

Maybe a survey at the end would help. like, best and worse thing on the map who knows.
  • Options
    mamatankmamatank Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2013
    I think you can address that issue by allowing people to award 0-2 points and a review. Instead of averaging scores to get a quest rating, you add the points together to get a rating. This way there really is no way to cause harm to someone's rating. Granting a 0 is the same thing as not playing the quest. But, to the author, every 0 rating is a lost opportunity to move their quest higher on the foundry board and there's plenty of incentive to read those reviews looking for helpful information to update the quest or do a better job next time.

Like my quest? Great! Give me 2 points and some words of encouragement.
    Like my quest but have some suggestions to make it better? Great! Give me 1 point and tell me how.
    Don't like my quest? Give me 0 points and tell me what's wrong.
    Troll? Go find a different game. You have no power here.

I think a great addition to this would be to allow people to modify thier own review and score if they replay it after their first run (but only one active score/review per account).
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The C word that refers to women is not an autofiltered word on the forums. Someone started a thread with it in the title in gen discussion a while back. I took a screenshot I was so amazed.

I was talking about the other C word that refers to Chinese and other Asian people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deimosesdeimoses Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mamatank wrote: »
    I think you can address that issue by allowing people to award 0-2 points and a review. Instead of averaging scores to get a quest rating, you add the points together to get a rating. This way there really is no way to cause harm to someone's rating. Granting a 0 is the same thing as not playing the quest. But, to the author, every 0 rating is a lost opportunity to move their quest higher on the foundry board and there's plenty of incentive to read those reviews looking for helpful information to update the quest or do a better job next time.

Like my quest? Great! Give me 2 points and some words of encouragement.
    Like my quest but have some suggestions to make it better? Great! Give me 1 point and tell me how.
    Don't like my quest? Give me 0 points and tell me what's wrong.
    Troll? Go find a different game. You have no power here.

I think a great addition to this would be to allow people to modify thier own review and score if they replay it after their first run (but only one active score/review per account).

i would go with a 100% positive only voting system, if you like the quest then give it a thumbs up, but remove any chance for a troll or whoever to just tank your score with 1's , if you don't like the quest then don't give your thumb up or approval and submit your reason why in a review as constructive feedback.

stats on a quest with 1000 first time plays but 2 thumbs up would speak volumes better than allowing trolls/haters to sabotage others work
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I think I'm done with this thread.. I understand the fact you guys dislike the troll responses and the "unhelpful" ratings but removing something that tells you how your work was received so that you don't have to be "trolled" or have hurt feelings is just a way to avoid finding out your own flaws. The world is not warm and cuddly, and avoiding finding out about that does you more harm than good.

I've tried multiple times, at this point I wash my hands of it..
  • Options
    ahkronnemesisahkronnemesis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I think I'm done with this thread.. I understand the fact you guys dislike the troll responses and the "unhelpful" ratings but removing something that tells you how your work was received so that you don't have to be "trolled" or have hurt feelings is just a way to avoid finding out your own flaws. The world is not warm and cuddly, and avoiding finding out about that does you more harm than good.

I've tried multiple times, at this point I wash my hands of it..

I can agree with this point.
    It'd be great to be able to avoid "vote trolling" but being able to remove low votes and bad reviews can be exploited by the authors as easily as the system can be exploited by the so-called trolls.
    There's a thin line here.
    [Campaign] Into the Heart of Time (NWS-DLSK763NH) by @ahkronnemesis
    Chapter I - The Cult of Kairos (NW-DJFINX9KB)
    Chapter II - The Halls of Mortality (NW-DOE3ZC671)
    Chapter III - Paradox ( Soon )
  • Options
    zocat1zocat1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you have tons of positive ratings and 1% are 1star? Who gives a ****? You shouldnt. You will never please everyone (just look at the reception of mainstream entertainment), and you should care even less about people who're idiots.

That said:
    Quest Review. Then loot. No more loot complains in the review (unless the people run the quest again^^)