test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

One Star Reviews

dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Certainly everyone is entitled to their own opinion which is cool.

The only thing that does bug me (and I'm sure you too), is getting a one star with these types of reviews:

"Nothing"
"Loot not for my class"
"You should really put better things in there"

These types of one star reviews illustrate player frustration and do make up the majority of one stars that I do get, and unnecessarily penalize foundry authors.

I'm not sure what the solution is. I don't artificially gate the final reward with any information notices. Maybe I should.

But the bug that causes loot not to drop needs to be fixed & somehow the playerbase who does foundry needs an official acknowledgement that the author does not determine drops.

Just sayin.
Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
Post edited by dzogen on

Comments

• drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh I get a ton of those too. My fave was "This story was awesome, I had a lot of fun, but the loot was not for my class, I know it's not the author's fault. But it still sucked." - 1 star

People will give you 1 star to troll you, because they think its funny, because they are jealous your quest is ranked higher than theirs, a million reasons and none of them sane.

Some people truly don't like your content which is fine too.

In my story in BRIGHT YELLOW text it says i have no control over the loot. People will still give you 1 star for bad loot regardless of how many times you put it into your quest you dont have control over it.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Haha so true.

Maybe they should make the item that drops match your class - guaranteed.

And a Foundry token that can be exchanged for epic gears, so level 60s can be incentivized too.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Foundry tokens would be kinda cool, but possibly easy to exploit. We saw what length people will go to exploit this game already with all the dungeons, and t 1- 2 exploits, the exploit foundry maps etc. So tokens would have to be implemented carefully like with only quests that qualified for the daily or like one token per daily foundry or something?
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    there really isnt much you can do. Even if you put nice pretty text at the begining that says that you have no control over anything other than the words and some of what you fight, that requires players to actually READ, which in my experience can be the biggest christmas miracle of them all.
  • slaidzslaidz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What if for the token you had to play a different daily foundry every time you wanted a token so people couldn't play the same ones over and over again?
  • gizmosdragongizmosdragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They could always reward you with a random level appropriate token after completing your X daily foundry quests
  • askander37askander37 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Could always limit number of tokens earned in a specific period of time as well.
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dzogen wrote: »
    Certainly everyone is entitled to their own opinion which is cool.

The only thing that does bug me (and I'm sure you too), is getting a one star with these types of reviews:

"Nothing"
    "Loot not for my class"
    "You should really put better things in there"

These types of one star reviews illustrate player frustration and do make up the majority of one stars that I do get, and unnecessarily penalize foundry authors.

I'm not sure what the solution is. I don't artificially gate the final reward with any information notices. Maybe I should.

But the bug that causes loot not to drop needs to be fixed & somehow the playerbase who does foundry needs an official acknowledgement that the author does not determine drops.

Just sayin.
    I would encourage authors to put a notice in their campaign description that loot drop rate and chest loot is not determined by the author.

Then again there's only so much you can do. For instance some people will one star you because they didn't read the campaign description: eg
    Campaign Description: "this campaign purposely tries to be similar to Cryptic official content"
    Review: "This quest is a WoW style fetch quest." ... 1 star.
    So the review is complaining that the quest is in the style the description said it was.
    or
    Campaign Description: description is not in English
    Review: *#$&^#$ USE ENGLISH!!!!

Then again, some people will give you one star because they're trolling.
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Meh. I am hoping that the trolls will not even be able to make it through my quest when I publish it. It's gonna be ridiculously long compared to the 30 minute-1 hour quests I've been playing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    wushin, dedicated trolls will finish it just to give you one star and say "i suffered through this just to give you one star"

Happened in my longer chapter 4 quest. Which considering it has 700 _ 5 star ratings and 400 _ 4 star and only 9 one star it is arguably my best chapter yet haha.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • hercul33thercul33t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 190 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I give 1 stars to only the most boring quests published. If you've just copy/pasted enough junk to fill 1500 detail and have me run from point A to point B without anything to do but run a nonsensical fetch quest. If from the start of the map I can see every clicky for that fetch quest because it's just one big open space populated by mobs standing on the sparkles. This tells me you haven't even tried and/or you have your priorities in the wrong place because you don't have a clue what makes something enjoyable.

1 star only because I can't give out half stars.
    Dr. Herc trilogy NWS-DHDPDVTMA
  • porkchop81porkchop81 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    In the foundry quest I made I specificly put bring LOTS of potions or bring friends. Not designed for solo and people still tell me it is to hard to solo.......I honestly think they should base the loot on how many and how hard of enemies you put into the dungeon. As in if you put 20 Hard enemies that the loot table will give out a green and what not. I also think the lenght of the dungeon should also be considered.
    edited May 2013
    porkchop81 wrote: »
    In the foundry quest I made I specificly put bring LOTS of potions or bring friends. Not designed for solo and people still tell me it is to hard to solo.......I honestly think they should base the loot on how many and how hard of enemies you put into the dungeon. As in if you put 20 Hard enemies that the loot table will give out a green and what not. I also think the lenght of the dungeon should also be considered.

It used to be kinda like this, until the exploiters got ahold of the foundry and started making those farm maps with 50 billion ogres.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I play foundry quests with the lowest level character I have and with a Greycloak weapon just to keep the grind to a minimum. And sometimes I still almost get wiped.
    edited May 2013
    hercul33t wrote: »
    I give 1 stars to only the most boring quests published. If you've just copy/pasted enough junk to fill 1500 detail and have me run from point A to point B without anything to do but run a nonsensical fetch quest. If from the start of the map I can see every clicky for that fetch quest because it's just one big open space populated by mobs standing on the sparkles. This tells me you haven't even tried and/or you have your priorities in the wrong place because you don't have a clue what makes something enjoyable.

1 star only because I can't give out half stars.
    Sounds like someone didn't read a campaign description that says it's specifically trying to imitate Cryptic's content. In other words, it did what it said it was going to do. So why did you play it, exactly?
  • coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like someone didn't read a campaign description that says it's specifically trying to imitate Cryptic's content. In other words, it did what it said it was going to do. So why did you play it, exactly?

Imitate, how about the one I built that replicates it.. it has gotten all 4 and 5 stars from those who ran it to compare the loot and XP. No story, heck I named one of the guards "sorry I don't have a name". Nothing fun to it, it's a grind fest with enforced RP dialog to slow the player down to make sure it meets the pacing of the Cryptic dungeon it copies. Yet yours designed to imitate their design got dinged.. it's a subjective system. I guess I'm just used to that from years of quality assessments on my performance which we ALWAYS subjective.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • hercul33thercul33t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 190 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    coanunn wrote: »
    Imitate, how about the one I built that replicates it.. it has gotten all 4 and 5 stars from those who ran it to compare the loot and XP. No story, heck I named one of the guards "sorry I don't have a name". Nothing fun to it, it's a grind fest with enforced RP dialog to slow the player down to make sure it meets the pacing of the Cryptic dungeon it copies. Yet yours designed to imitate their design got dinged.. it's a subjective system. I guess I'm just used to that from years of quality assessments on my performance which we ALWAYS subjective.

Yes, but your map had a purpose so as to test the xp. If you're making bland maps while declaring yourself such an amazing map maker, there's really something else going on.

I'll one star those who phone it in and give more for those who at least tried. We don't need hipster map makers pretending they don't want to sell out and then get enraged when people start handing out 1 stars lol
    edited May 2013
    I'll one star those who phone it in and give more for those who at least tried. We don't need hipster map makers pretending they don't want to sell out and then get enraged when people start handing out 1 stars lol

Indeed we don't, but we have plenty of them. Heck, two stars ain't even good enough for some of them when their dungeons are about as exciting as watching grass grow in the winter time.

"I put 1500 details on the map across four rooms, so it's okay if my map has one objective, and uses boring looking NPC's with poorly written dialogue." - Typical hipster map maker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    Indeed we don't, but we have plenty of them. Heck, two stars ain't even good enough for some of them when their dungeons are about as exciting as watching grass grow in the winter time.

"I put 1500 details on the map across four rooms, so it's okay if my map has one objective, and uses boring looking NPC's with poorly written dialogue." - Typical hipster map maker.

Yes, I see plenty like that. I also see the review trading that goes on in some of these threads. People not being genuine about how the map was, handing out 3 and 4 stars while giving negative reviews just means they don't want to hurt your feelings.

When I first released my map it was pretty bad. The reviews showed it. I started making the map as I liked it and stopped trying to create something to appeal to everyone. The more I enjoyed my map, the more and more favorable reviews I got.

What gets me is that people are making maps they wouldn't even like themselves. Dammit people, you can be so creative in the foundry, show us what you got already!
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey all,

We're looking into a solution for this. Please continue to give us your thoughts and feedback. Thank you!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
    edited May 2013
    What gets me is that people are making maps they wouldn't even like themselves. Dammit people, you can be so creative in the foundry, show us what you got already!

I'm mostly just trying to focus on what my friends and I like by recreating the first serious dungeon I made when we started playing D&D, and using a lot of NPC's they're bound to recognize.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Hey all,

We're looking into a solution for this. Please continue to give us your thoughts and feedback. Thank you!

I am not sure there is a solution for this, aside from a better education system in our respective government's lol. Even though the authors put in their quests that they have no control over the loot, people still rate the quest with 1 star because they got bad loot. Some even comment that they know the author had no control, but rated it one star for the loot anyway.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    coanunn wrote: »
    Meh, the reason mine got dinged was that the person who one starred me accused a well known author of lying about being unable to replicate a bug people had reported with his/her quest. So I played the accuser's quest and they spawned an object on the player forcing a /killme because I could not move (/nudge did not nudge me out of the object). /killme of course sends the player back to the campfire. The problem was the campfire was before a wall that got spawned somewhere in between where I'd been forced to /killme, but past the campfire along on the required quest path, making the quest uncompletable.

Since the person was adamant they would never let bugs get through with the well known author, logically making their module uncompletable was intentional on their part. They didn't like it when I pointed that out.

So you see, the lesson is some people are going to give you 1 star no matter what.
    edited May 2013
    I'm mostly just trying to focus on what my friends and I like by recreating the first serious dungeon I made when we started playing D&D, and using a lot of NPC's they're bound to recognize.

Oh man, how I wanted to create Tomb of Horrors. It just wouldn't be possible to do a lot of the mean things though.

Cryptic should really put in some hardcore DnD mechanics. :)
    edited May 2013
    Oh man, how I wanted to create Tomb of Horrors. It just wouldn't be possible to do a lot of the mean things though.

Cryptic should really put in some hardcore DnD mechanics. :)

I'm doing a Catacomb map right now. And unlike all the other crypt/tomb/catacomb maps I've tried, I'm not going to use mobs of zombies as a crutch and just phone it in. In fact, there's hardly any undead in it at all except towards the end, and I'm debating on whether I should make that part optional, maybe even put in an alternative.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    I'm doing a Catacomb map right now. And unlike all the other crypt/tomb/catacomb maps I've tried, I'm not going to use mobs of zombies as a crutch and just phone it in. In fact, there's hardly any undead in it at all except towards the end, and I'm debating on whether I should make that part optional, maybe even put in an alternative.

That's the kind of content I like. Do you have any map out now that I can subscribe to keep an eye out?
  • fr0gurtfr0gurt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe we could have an alternate scoring system:
    • Thumbs Up
    • (no rating)
    • Favorite (each account has a limited number of Favorites)
    • Red Flag (each account has a limited number of Red Flags, and must come with a description)
    edited May 2013
    That's the kind of content I like. Do you have any map out now that I can subscribe to keep an eye out?

No, but I'll post a thread on here when it is finished. Could be another week or two. I'll try to get around to your quests sooner than that though. I've also got a couple of well known maps lined to review, mainly those by Tilt and Zovya, as I am sure they'll be excellent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jimrdvjimrdv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Foundry tonkens are the best idea. If Cryptic can't allow us to offer better rewards, a token would be a good solution.
  • coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    There is no standard, and even if there were you would still have people who would give 1 stars despite the standard. That is just how mass rating works. There is no FIX for that.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!