test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The End of All Fighters is Coming to Neverwinter

devilwings1337devilwings1337 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
With how poorly the GWF has been performing through all open better and now with the GF starting to get abandoned at endgame, with no official response from cryptic in regards to GWF or aggro issues. The fighter classes are doomed.

if nothing is done soon, it's not Cryptic that will kill the fighters off but other players. I have already given up on the GWF, wont even bother with the GF since I see the doom around the corner. And this then it will be the norm to not have fighters in your group end game. (If it is not already)

Sure this may not be enough to completely snuff out the fighter classes. but the Doom is around the corner in the form of the Warlock and Ranger. Cryptic has been known to favor ranged classes way to much in there games. They give them all the numbers of melee classes plus the convenience of range. These two classes together may even be enough to kill the rogue.

It will become groups of Cleric, Cleric, Wizard, Warlock, Ranger as the staple.

We NEED a response from cryptic to give players some confidence in these classes. I'm not even bothering playing any more until I see a concrete statement from Cryptic that they plan to fix these classes and bloody soon too.
Post edited by devilwings1337 on

Comments

• milimeterxmilimeterx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah i kind of am losing interest in the game because of the lack of communication they've had about the GWF and GF which are really the two classes i want to play . Instead i'm stuck playing a wizard or a rogue, no one wants a GWF in there group and no one needs a GF in the group.

All i want is a response from a dev acknowledging that how these two classes are right now is what they envisioned for the class to be.
  • laserdanlaserdan Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A response would be amazing, although I reckon we won't see Cryptic/PW acknowledge that the class is below the curve, so to speak.

All that remains is be a GF with broken threat or one in a gazillion CW/TR, or an indestructible healbot. None sound particularily fun.
  • incarealincareal Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    got my gwf to 50. getting kicked from dungeon only cause im GWF
    i got full blue gear from AH, good build and still have hard time finishing some of the quests i meet. not even alking about pvp where cw/tr kills me easy as fak

and from reading patch notes no1 is even bothering with some response/sollution.
    I believe that devs live in some dream world where all classes are equally used and u can only focus on tunning other issues.
  • supp1shsupp1sh Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    bump for fixing this

i love how they started nerfing the GWF when the threat issues are still there so we dont know if the GWF is a good dps/offtank or if the GF is a good tank. they never get to fulfill those roles properly. but yet they're nerfing one of them

p.s. NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE GATEWAY! STOP PATCHING IT PLEASE
    MAKE MARK HIT ENEMY AND ALL ENEMIES AROUND IT.
    MAKE THREATENING RUSH A 2-3 SECOND TAUNT THAT STILL MARKS THE SAME WAY.
    REMOVE HEALING AGGRO.
    edited May 2013
    cryptic never fixes disbalances between classes.
    in star trek online they let one ship be clearly OP for almost 3/4 of year now.
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You should check the interview from the lead Producer:
    http://www.f2p.com/exclusive-interview-with-neverwinter-lead-producer-andy-velasquez/
    at 7:30 he says they're looking at the GWF, but sadly they seem totally clueless about what's wrong with it:
    "When we look at pure data, in terms of leveling speed, in terms of potion usage over time, it seems stricly in line with the other classes and where we want it to be, but the feel isn't coming accross very well"
    It's all in our minds guys, GWF are fine.
    edited May 2013
    "It's all in our minds guys, GWF are fine. "

i see........
  • fr0gurtfr0gurt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well you see at level 60, their leveling speed is the same as everybody else. And potion usage is way down compared to the Trickster Rogue, Control Wizard, or Devoted Cleric.
  • korttiapinakorttiapina Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So what's the solution to make GF and GWF more viable then? Especially at end game. I really hope they'll make tanks needed at lvl 60 instances since tank is pretty much the only role I love to play. This is the first MMORPG I've played that doesn't absolutely require a tank to complete a hard instance.
    edited May 2013
    no1 give a **** about lvling speed and potion usage---- jsut wtf is this important stat.
    every mmo is only about endgame. if u cant do anything at endgame why to even lvl or why u need low potion usage ratio.

dat logic
    edited May 2013
    why would u need fast lvling speed if u aint viable at max lvl?
    same goes for potion usage, if this is the stat by which u balance class no wonder there wont be any balance soon
  • abloecabloec Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only way to fix GWF's is to redo the boss fights. They would basically have to not allow ppl to knock mobs off to their deaths, lower the hp or number of adds. Or increase the overall dmg of GWF's. Currently damage isn't a huge thing, I can do close to TR dmg if I have **** to AoE which is what GWF is ment for but like I said with how fights are its just smarter to have a CW black hole than knock them off to their deaths.
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, if an aoe dps class doesn't do a lot more than a single target dps class, it means it's way, way, way behind.
    If the rogue does as much or more dmg than you during a lair run, it means he's better at taking boss but also at clearing mobs, because by taking them down so fast, although one by one, that there's much less incoming dmg that has to be tanked by your party.
  • itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Give dungeons invisible walls at ledges = fix GF+GWF, all of a sudden teams wil need tanks again...

The hero's arent bad designed, the dungeons are. And i call knocking mobs of ledges abusing the system.
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • bolt1981bolt1981 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    incareal wrote: »
    no1 give a **** about lvling speed and potion usage---- jsut wtf is this important stat.
    every mmo is only about endgame. if u cant do anything at endgame why to even lvl or why u need low potion usage ratio.

dat logic

Have to disagree here - the journey toward endgame is not what an mmo is about - at least to me. Exploring and seeing the world interacting with NPCs and building my character. Endgame is where i get to. Its the road that i enjoy. I think that those who jump straight to the end are missing out on so much.

As a GF i do find this a little disconcerting that i can enter a dungeon at lvl50+ and im straight away going to get kicked because my class is weak and i become a liability. Im not the greatest player as it is :( - - i dont dungeon grind but i still like to see them
  • rovandbcrovandbc Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    :mad:
    bolt1981 wrote: »
    Have to disagree here - the journey toward endgame is not what an mmo is about - at least to me. Exploring and seeing the world interacting with NPCs and building my character. Endgame is where i get to. Its the road that i enjoy. I think that those who jump straight to the end are missing out on so much.

As a GF i do find this a little disconcerting that i can enter a dungeon at lvl50+ and im straight away going to get kicked because my class is weak and i become a liability. Im not the greatest player as it is :( - - i dont dungeon grind but i still like to see them

The Devs need to understand players will determine the relative use of a party member based on the class, level, and player ability.

It’s a real problem when the player community no longer consider level, gear, and player experience, they kick you strait our due to you class…

Too bad, the class should be a base for any party, give me a break if a fighter is not in a normal D&D 4.0 party you have a real problem, D&D game by players for player, right maybe they need to re-examine that marketing statement because it simply is not true in this case.

Devs - WAKE UP -start tracking how many GWF and GF get kicked out of parties at end game, that is a stat more valuable than consumable usage and leveling speed.

If they do not fix this imbalance you are correct, no one will play this class at endgame or even try to get them their; they are generally out performed by all other classes period...
  • draconianumdraconianum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    it's really hurts no Love for the fighters... they need chance the name for Neverplaywithgwf online or Neverplaywithgf online.
  • kevlairkevlair Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Saying that the GF and GWF are doomed is essentially screaming the sky is falling. All is well, things will get fixed. If they don't people will move on. Everyone has a differnet time line for when that "move on" point happens. I would imagine that at some point a Paladin paragon will be added to the current Guardian Fighter setup...at least I hope.
    Caslav Macenvanje
    Guardian Fighter
  • planswalkerplanswalker Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah... sounds like to me your just being narcissistic. At this juncture in the mmo fantasy genre the "Tank" Archetype has really been more of a burden than anything else. Perhaps this is why we saw World of Warcraft basically turn a good amount of their classes into a weird hybrid. (functionally) A druid can tank/heal/dps, so can a shaman, so can a paladin, so can etc etc etc. you get the idea. I believe what Cryptic is trying to stay away from, is the Dungeon destroying mentality of "We most absolutely need a tank and will not succeed without it." Sorry but the entire concept behind the "tank" is sort of stupid and ruins end-game when everyone else has to have a tank. Tanks are Narcissists, and a dying Archetype as the genre evolves. In other words.. staying the course with the "Tanks" traditional role is damaging to the genre and anti progressive, a poor business model, and breeds non innovative end-game grouping content.

Cheer's you dirty little narcissists

Until later, guard your coin purse otherwise I'll snatch it from your belt!
  • solthusx2solthusx2 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kevlair wrote: »
    Saying that the GF and GWF are doomed is essentially screaming the sky is falling. All is well, things will get fixed. If they don't people will move on. Everyone has a differnet time line for when that "move on" point happens. I would imagine that at some point a Paladin paragon will be added to the current Guardian Fighter setup...at least I hope.

Paladin is actually a separate class by itself (with Protecting and Avenging builds). The other two fighter Paragon Paths in the player's handbook that have not been added are the Kensei and Pit Fighter
  • cichardcichard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A good GWF at 60 Will work well with a CW Aoeing the adds down.. Our 5man group has cleared almost all the instances fairly easy running 1 of each class.. We have a GF specc'ed survival/dps me a TR to kill boss a GWF and CW for adds and Healer to keep them up. So basically on the boss fight the Cleric is there to heal the GWF and CW and him self while they kill adds the GF keeps him self up and does good damage on the boss. The TR uses a mix of stealth and Impossible to catch and dodging out of stuff when thats down and kills the boss.
  • flowsharianflowsharian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    supp1sh wrote: »
    bump for fixing this

p.s. NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE GATEWAY! STOP PATCHING IT PLEASE

I love gateway(it's awesome, sorry if you don't know).

Someone mind telling me how to change what I am doing wrong with the Guardian Fighter, because I have only 2.5k~ Power, and I looked at another player and he had 12k......and I have the pvp set and also lvl 60 gear(4 pieces blue) I do not have everything enchanted though, so there's that. I just feel like I'm pretty useless in dungeons currently due to not being able to hold threat, with having all the talents for it and feats(minus the conqueror tier route, went protector). Anyone know someone or anything about what I can do to become worthwhile and an asset?
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with the OP. My perspective is from the Guardian Fighter though. Why is it that the only viable path to work with this class is the DPS build, and the "tank" build is so pathetic. Let's also not mention the fact that the ONLY tank in the game, is not a tank, and is certainly not needed at the end game content. So much so people groan when a GF says they will join them in the dungeons and look the other way.

The tank should be needed in the group. They should prove to be a valuable asset to the game. Not the laughing stock of the end content.

Cleric, Cleric, Rogue, Rogue, CW = win.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • sinamonsinamon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah... sounds like to me your just being narcissistic. At this juncture in the mmo fantasy genre the "Tank" Archetype has really been more of a burden than anything else. Perhaps this is why we saw World of Warcraft basically turn a good amount of their classes into a weird hybrid. (functionally) A druid can tank/heal/dps, so can a shaman, so can a paladin, so can etc etc etc. you get the idea. I believe what Cryptic is trying to stay away from, is the Dungeon destroying mentality of "We most absolutely need a tank and will not succeed without it." Sorry but the entire concept behind the "tank" is sort of stupid and ruins end-game when everyone else has to have a tank. Tanks are Narcissists, and a dying Archetype as the genre evolves. In other words.. staying the course with the "Tanks" traditional role is damaging to the genre and anti progressive, a poor business model, and breeds non innovative end-game grouping content.

The Pally and Druid could Tank/Heal/DPS from Vanilla. Its not something they added later. A shaman cant tank btw good luck doing any of the Heroics or Raids with a shaman trying to impersonate a tank. If you dont know what youre talking about on other games how is it your opinion is really going to matter here. Tanks should be needed as should CC, bosses should be designed around abilities that punish players for not making use of class mechanics, ie, rogues roll, clerics slide, wizard port, gwf dash and gf block. If a gwf or rogue stand in one of the boss primary attacks poof dead gwf or rogue. They need to tune the bosses to be harder not just add more adds in that are going to aggro to your cleric because they are too dumb to put points into the threat reduction talents.
    Every successful mmo has true tanks because players play and enjoy playing tanks. Rift which will always hold more users than neverwinter will with the current path they are on. Has true tanks, Clerics, Rogues and Warriors all have tanking souls which you have to have in endgame content. WoW has true tanks which you have to have in endgame content. EQ, EQ2, DAoC all very successful MMOs had true tanking classes that were needed at the end game. Lets look at failed mmos of recent times, SWTOR, the tanking classes werent needed and were a liability later in the game. Failing horribly. TSW, no real tank class in the game and not doing so great on player base, which could be more related to the setting itself. People want to play tanks because they are comfortable with it, they enjoy it and any company looking to make an mmo that is going to neglect the tank player base is going to suffer for it. Its how it is.

If they want to make gf/gwf viable quickly here, reduce TR and CW dmg by 25% and not allow dungeon mobs to be pulled or pushed. So now mobs get to follow the tank, rogues and gwf get to stand and nuke as long as you have a tank that can do his job and a healer that is specced properly for healing. Just because they are a cleric doesnt mean they are or even know how to heal.
  • alowen85alowen85 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It realy upsets me, I am trying every single class to find something that suits me. The GWF on paper sounds like the most fitting for me (as in other games). I do not care about topping the meters, I just want to have fun.. (and do solo content). Yet reading all this I'm scared of testing it out and 'wasting my time on it'.
  • flowsharianflowsharian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    sinamon wrote: »
    The Pally and Druid could Tank/Heal/DPS from Vanilla. Its not something they added later. A shaman cant tank btw good luck doing any of the Heroics or Raids with a shaman trying to impersonate a tank. If you dont know what youre talking about on other games how is it your opinion is really going to matter here. Tanks should be needed as should CC, bosses should be designed around abilities that punish players for not making use of class mechanics, ie, rogues roll, clerics slide, wizard port, gwf dash and gf block. If a gwf or rogue stand in one of the boss primary attacks poof dead gwf or rogue. They need to tune the bosses to be harder not just add more adds in that are going to aggro to your cleric because they are too dumb to put points into the threat reduction talents.
    Every successful mmo has true tanks because players play and enjoy playing tanks. Rift which will always hold more users than neverwinter will with the current path they are on. Has true tanks, Clerics, Rogues and Warriors all have tanking souls which you have to have in endgame content. WoW has true tanks which you have to have in endgame content. EQ, EQ2, DAoC all very successful MMOs had true tanking classes that were needed at the end game. Lets look at failed mmos of recent times, SWTOR, the tanking classes werent needed and were a liability later in the game. Failing horribly. TSW, no real tank class in the game and not doing so great on player base, which could be more related to the setting itself. People want to play tanks because they are comfortable with it, they enjoy it and any company looking to make an mmo that is going to neglect the tank player base is going to suffer for it. Its how it is.

If they want to make gf/gwf viable quickly here, reduce TR and CW dmg by 25% and not allow dungeon mobs to be pulled or pushed. So now mobs get to follow the tank, rogues and gwf get to stand and nuke as long as you have a tank that can do his job and a healer that is specced properly for healing. Just because they are a cleric doesnt mean they are or even know how to heal.

You hit the point succinctly. The game has to be balanced around the class mechanics, and from near all accounts so far it doesn't look well balanced. My opinion won't carry too much weight as I have not done anything beyond a few T1 Dungeons as a Guardian Fighter, but I have read around the forums a bit and found a lot of people are like minded as I.
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

So you are saying you don't require Clerics in your teams then, and you can complete endgame dungeons with just TR?

Or do you actually need Clerics and CW?

I believe what Cryptic is trying to stay away from, is the Dungeon destroying mentality of "We most absolutely need a tank and will not succeed without it."

Insert "cleric" where "tank" is, and suddenly that statement is completely valid.

Which is why your entire premise fails.
  • tumolololtumololol Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One thing they could do is to buff boss "non special ability dmg" to a point where rogues can't deal with it and make "pushback walls" on all ledges. That'd be an easy and simple fix for most dungeons.

Now how to deal with that change would be pretty simple too. Firstly, make marks not fall off on caster taking damage (this would also make the GWF 15% extra dmg on marked targets talent better), buff the GF heroic feat which makes marks pull extra threat (make them more viable as tanks) and maybe weave a flat threat increase into another heroic feat for both fighters, the one buffing the defence stats maybe, would make them more viable talents over dps ones.
    Then there's the GWF unfamous dps issue. They're amazing aoe and with beforementioned changes they'd make decent add tanks. However their singletarget, mainly at-wills just plainly suck, they only have sure strike so you know what I'm talking about. WMS is also a boring ability but it would serve as a good wall between a mint aoe, singletarget or hybrid spec. Since if you want either amazing aoe or single target you'd need the debuff. However atm the choice of singletarget or even less of both with having wicked and sure strike together doesn't exist because of sure strike just being bad.
    Buffing sure strike would make it a way more viable class for soloing content and for having another ability that's actually worth using. Making the class more fun etc... One way to do it would be a flat dmg buff, it'd make the class (from what I hear) super strong pvp however. So how about looking at the TR's ranged ability? It increases dmg with every cast and resets once you stop casting. Would be interesting if Sure Strike was a 2 or 3 combo attack with no big slam at the end, however it'd be an neverending stream of attacks, starting as they are now in dmg and would keep increasing by either a % or a flat amount depending on power for every swing. Up to a maximum or... 10x 10% or flat amounts?

just an idea atleast, sorry for the wall of text and all.

P.S. Make the animation for WMS more interesting that just a copy of the first swing in wicked!!!! :P
  • tumolololtumololol Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    P.P.S. That would also make the name and description for Sure Strike more amazing. "The Fighter weapon swings make him more sure in the inpending victory for every hit the enemy suffers, making him do more and more dmg."
  • floral821floral821 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a 60 guardian fighter. I love her to death. I have less than no desire to level again just yet, as I do not feel the GF is "done" with progression. However, I cannot help but feel that if I was a CW or TR I'd be clearing more dungeons with my group. CoH had this same stupid problem. Who needs a tank when a control(ler) wizard does a better job? Already I have stopped spending money to buy zen cause I'm not sure this game will be worth it in a month.

I mean seriously, whats the point of the tank if two CW and two DC with a rogue do dungeons easier and faster?