test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I'm going to assume no one got banned and no items were rolled back/removed

Comments

• Options
    bladevisebladevise Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    charononus wrote: »
    Do you know how quick and easy it is to spoof a mac address? It can be done in seconds.

I thought a "Spoof" was an outlaw gangster Smurf
  • Options
    shanxtadeushanxtadeu Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    bladevise wrote: »
    ..Sentence structure suggests alien or possibly synthetic hybrid organism, RED ALERT!

Haha, you're so funny ='D... no, I'm jk, you're not.

Just for you know, the planet doesn't revolve around English speaker nations

But hey, people like you thinks that there's only one country in this world...US
  • Options
    bladevisebladevise Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shanxtadeu wrote: »
    Haha, you're so funny ='D... no, I'm jk, you're not.

Just for you know, the planet doesn't revolve around English speaker nations

But hey, people like you thinks that there's only one country in this world...US

A sense of humor is by no means limited to certain nations or continents.
    Of course, all of them have a few people utterly devoid of one =P

Why...SO...SERiOuS Shanxtadeu? No need to be Mr Defensive Unhappy Guy =(

It was a joke, sorry to have offended you so, here have a french fry =)

Honestly though the post was a response to yours sounding Sci-Fi / analytical, like a terminator wrote it. It had nothing to do with what language you speak (english is NOT my native language either.) So maybe you could chill out a little on the bad assumptions and anger yeah?
  • Options
    shanxtadeushanxtadeu Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Do you know how quick and easy it is to spoof a mac address? It can be done in seconds.

Yes, it is. But there's methods to subdue spoof masking too.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shanxtadeu wrote: »
    Yes, it is. But there's methods to subdue spoof masking too.

Which just makes it a form of arms race for masking and running more accounts. PWE would be better off using those resources to test better, fix bugs, and create new content. Not to mention when you play defense (which they would have to) in situations like this you always lose eventually.
  • Options
    lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bladevise wrote: »
    Yeah, there is no way that the players that listed 20+ purple level 60 items on the auction house yesterday would be suspicious!

I mean, without special logging AND parsing tools to TRACK them DOWN!

..but wait, the ability to read the name of the seller may work!

*Desperately tries to add more DUHHH sauce..*

No no Forum peeps say we needs more parsing and tracking tooools!

*chimp raises hand and points to @mega5pl0it shown as seller of 32 purple level 60 items listed yesterday*

You dirty monkey bastage! *looks sadly at empty Duhh sauce bottle*

Ok so yeah, probably wouldn't be that hard at all for the worst of the exploiters to be found....

Lol. You sir, are a winrar!

win-one-internet.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Lol. You sir, are a winrar!

win-one-internet.jpg

Cheers!
    Does it come with a free football phone too?
  • Options
    aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Given the run of exploit after exploit and the lackluster response of the developers, I have to assume you are being ironic........

I'm speaking in general terms. I hardly expect that at this point, but its nice to dream.
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
  • Options
    archanjo17041985archanjo17041985 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ban ppl that spend €€€ on zen? :O
    not gona happen :)
    i7 3770k @ 4.0//HD 7950 WF3//16 GB ram Corsair @ 1600//Corsair 120 GB SSD x 2//Hyper Evo 212
  • Options
    pentegarnpentegarn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    glannigan wrote: »
    Well you know what they say. You can wish in one hand and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in the other....tell me which one fills up first.
    What if you wish for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>?
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aislingi wrote: »
    I'm speaking in general terms. I hardly expect that at this point, but its nice to dream.

Actually I would be very happy if I was wrong and things ended positively, but at this stage I am already cynical enough to not get my hopes up :(
  • Options
    vestige321vestige321 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The problem is the longer these people have not been banned or items not removed, the longer they have in spreading it through different accounts or something and hiding it and as such would create permanent damage (if not already) to the economy.
  • Options
    rhazes1rhazes1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    So OP ... which murderers got sentenced last week, how about how many police reports were filed in your area for assault ... how about larceny?

What you don't know? So those crappy policemen must be doing nothing but eating donuts rights?

I don't know but one thing is when I go to the store I don't see evidence of murders littering the aisles and I don't see known murderers walking around.
    I spend all day reading every thread and letting people know this is BETA.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    vestige321 wrote: »
    The problem is the longer these people have not been banned or items not removed, the longer they have in spreading it through different accounts or something and hiding it and as such would create permanent damage (if not already) to the economy.
    Please stop using the word permanent. It's not, it never will be unless the server is closed. The worst economic disaster in history was the arguably the great depression, even that wasn't permanent. Permanent means there is no chance of things getting better with time, and that's just not true.
  • Options
    tek83tek83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Please stop using the word permanent. It's not, it never will be unless the server is closed. The worst economic disaster in history was the arguably the great depression, even that wasn't permanent. Permanent means there is no chance of things getting better with time, and that's just not true.

You can't compare an economic disaster that happened within 2 weeks to the great depression. Your scale is a bit off.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tek83 wrote: »
    You can't compare an economic disaster that happened within 2 weeks to the great depression. Your scale is a bit off.

You're right this is infinitely smaller, which makes my point even more true, we don't have decades of damage to recover from.
  • Options
    borneolborneol Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

You are right, the effects of this wont be permanent. Or to be more precise it wont have a measurable effect permanently. Who knows how long it will take though, and even then that assumes that other game mechanics don't lead to the same result as the exploit did. Personally I think BoE, RMT and botting will destroy the economy without any help from exploits.
  • Options
    leshil40leshil40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    pojzon wrote: »
    Ofc not :)

What would you expect from worst reputation company on gamers market >_> ?

That would be EA two years running...
  • Options
    b4sikb4sik Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    "Optimal next steps" just means "the best thing to do"

= The thing that is most technically feasible, makes the players the happiest, has the highest chance of success, does the best job of maintaining a healthy economy, etc... all to be determined. Soon. :)

Hell yeah the ban hammer, the roll backs on every exploiter... oh wait.
    If you guys need to think about this obvious things it means no one is getting banned right?
    At least no one who put money in this game, and this is like a warning:
    "Hey exploiters, put some money in the game or be forever banned!"
  • Options
    b4sikb4sik Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2013

It will not be permanent, but will be long enough to the ESO open beta, so yeah, cya neverwinter was good while it lasted (10 days =/)
  • Options
    wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You are welcome.

Ghak - I DID do that didn't I ... sigh. Back to high school with me.
    Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bestcarrynabestcarryna Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    in a week or two people will forget this incident even happened. that's why i say we should keep this thread moving, this way Mods can't hide from their duties (if they're even investigating, i hope so).

those accounts who exploited deserve a perm ban, and i assume most of them have already transferred their ADs to another account by now, i suggest mods to track down the accounts who received huge amounts of ADs during this week and the next and take some appropriate action. perma ban please n ty.
    Kaenerys - Mindflayer - TR
  • Options
    travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter is already "pay to win", who cares if it's also "exploit to win"? PWE doesn't seem to.

I think it should be apparent to everyone at this point that Neverwinter is not a game built for longevity. It was specifically built to take as much money from players, as fast and as early as possible, before we could all realize that there's nothing of substance to see, here.

Neverwinter is really just another run-of-the-mill gear treadmill, which has been specifically designed to exploit it's cash shop for all it's worth. It's like when huge record labels find a teeny-bopper sensation like Britney Spears. So what if her music was mechanically crafted to top the charts while lacking anything resembling a soul? She made her record label enough money to buy their own country.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • Options
    protocol87protocol87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    Lol.

Well good luck. If it matters, I would be alright with a wipe. Better that than the economy we are stuck with now.

I'll support a wipe.

Don't know all the details, but it sounds bad. Hope the people who were exploiting get the banhammer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Loki < The Illuminati > 60 - Control Wizard
    Protocol 60 - Great Weapon Fighter
  • Options
    koldmiserkoldmiser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131
    edited May 2013
    I think I missed something...what happened?
  • Options
    malkaviermalkavier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep, such as DNSSec (and a few other tools), which as it gets rolled out to more and more network infrastructure, is designed to not allow any traffic from a spoofed IP or MAC address through. All packets from the fake addresses = dropped.

Odd, it didn't reply with quote properly, anyhow, this is in response to something on page 10.
    How Cryptic trolls the entire NWO playerbase: 9200 GS listed for CN, implying anyone who needs more has no skill.
  • Options
    mythrildragonmythrildragon Member Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    travail01 wrote: »
    Neverwinter is already "pay to win", who cares if it's also "exploit to win"? PWE doesn't seem to.

...people that were considering paying...its bad for business, you think ppl considering supporting the game are going to drop cash for AD's when exploiting is so rampant? im not going to exploit, but im not going to pay either, and when the next game show up ill move on.
  • Options
    lollielollie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Haha this game is going down. They have a month for a start (RIFT f2p), then after that the new games will be coming out over next few months.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    malkavier wrote: »
    Yep, such as DNSSec (and a few other tools), which as it gets rolled out to more and more network infrastructure, is designed to not allow any traffic from a spoofed IP or MAC address through. All packets from the fake addresses = dropped.

Odd, it didn't reply with quote properly, anyhow, this is in response to something on page 10.

There are still ways around it, it's an arms race. Defenders make better security tools and hackers find ways thru them. For a game company to join the race would be counter productive to it's main goal of making money by producing a game. Especially to try to limit the accounts that a player can create.
  • Options
    shepherdofmanshepherdofman Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The only people who will get banned are people who probably did it tons of times to abuse it

They will not roll back or remove items because by time they get things settled, the items are already distributed to people who had nothing to do with the incident.

Why don't you guys ever ***** about something worth *****ing over? Boohoo. If people get banned for exploits then they get banned and life goes on. If you didn't do anything then what business is it of yours to rage on forums why no one has gotten banned yet? :\

This game has many more issues worth spamming over. Broken AH, boss loot disappearing, broken classes, the horrid chat system, players exploiting the ability to mute others, afk farm bots (if you don't believe they exist then LOLROFLLMFAO go back to runescape).

Either way, if anything the prices on certain gear/stones dropped. That's good.. And now irreversible cause legit farmers have matched their prices with the exploit farmers and certain shards which were going 120k AD+ are half that. Good.
    ~They are Lions, and I am their Shepherd~
This discussion has been closed.