What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NW Powers / Feats Simulator

2»

Comments

• reyvacomreyvacom Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    v1.26

[System] ----> Pressing the Reset Feats / Powers buttons added opacity of 0.5 instead of 1.0 on the class selected. This has been changed to 1.0
    [Feats System] ----> Added tooltips for paragon paths. Hover over the title of the paragon path to see more info about that paragon path
    [Powers System] ----> Fade effect changed to 0ms
    [System] ----> Removed useless code

====================================

v1.27 will just have the General Powers class icons added and maybe the racial ones too. Then the preview of what would be in the character tab.

Pretty much done with the simulator so I'm lowering its priority down after 1.27. I have other projects to work on after all.
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very cool, nice work! :)
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • kaasdoekkaasdoek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    anyone knows what critical severity does? man this game lacks some serious discriptions on some feats and skills and we have to pay if we make a bad choice :s
    edited May 2013
    [CSS] ---> Change graphic backgrounds to white to match site template.
    [Page] ---> Updated How to Use and Contact documentation
    [Powers System] ----> ReferenceError: enablepowbutton2 is not defined error is fixed. You can use the Reset Powers button safely now
    ================

I use jpegs, not pngs. If I did, it would be a higher filesize which equals higher bandwidth usage which equals more $ out of my pocket per month for using my CDN.

================

I'm a bit busier at "real life work" this week so I won't have much time to work on this simulator or any other on going project I have. This is one of the reasons why I finished this simulator so fast. Because I knew that my schedule at work was going to be long hours in the coming weeks.
    edited May 2013
    I'm back from a hiatus from long hours at work
    ============================

Character teaser done. Design done. Click on Character tab to see. You cannot do anything on it yet because the Character editor is not there yet.

Looks nice doesn't it? However, do note that as I said before, I will probably not add the gear section. I will implement it on the simulator so it is functional, but nothing will be on it. Like I said before, I need a database of all the gear in this game along with icons. I rarely do database sites myself these days.

However, all hope is not lost. I added this because I may indeed add it in the near future. The gory details can be worked out easily by forcing you to enter in the information yourself instead of me having to do it for you. Unless ofcourse, I have EXACT formulas to calculate whatever.

I was actually going to implement the editor until I noticed the time. Got to get ready for work + other errands. It will probably be working by tomorrow.
    edited May 2013
    1.29a

Fix --> Making a build with 31 paragon points resulted in the simulator invalidating the feats build and resetting it when loading from URL.

=======

Its 1.29a just because I've made some internal changes on how things operate in v1.30. So much so, I cannot simply slap the v1.30 files on the live simulator yet since its half done and there are missing elements on the live simulator vs test simulator.
    edited May 2013
    v1.30
    [CSS] --> Minified css + cleanup
    [System] --> Removed Character tab and character system from the simulator
    [Powers System] --> Now you can see all the skills even though you don't have enough points. Opacity is set to 0.2 to make sure you know those skills are not unlocked yet.
    [System] --> Altered some things in the simulator. You will not notice anything

Undocumented Change not on the site --> The other tabs that had information in them have been properly formatted again so it doesn't look like a wall of text.
    ======================
    I removed the character tab/system from this simulator due to the fact that it needs to be its own separate simulator. I ran into some critical issues when trying to add it to this simulator. So I would rather make this a separate project to add on my to-do list because its going to take a while to fix those issues.
    ======================

Just to let you know, the NW character simulator is a "spin-off" project that sprouted from the Feats / Powers simulator and is not at a high priority for me to complete. The main priority was the Powers / Feats which everyone wanted. Typically, my spin-off projects are not that popular thus I take my time with them. Don't expect it to be done anytime soon.

======================

Version 1.31 of this simulator will add the Racial and General Powers icons and prehaps some other fixes after I look at the official wiki. After that, I'm pretty much done with the simulator and will move on to other projects that need to be done until this game makes a update to its Feats/Powers system. So if there is a critical bug with the simulator, just use the contact us link on the site

P.S. The Character simulator will have its own separate thread. It won't be featured in this thread.
    edited May 2013
    v1.31

[Powers System] --> Race and General Powers icons finally added
    ===============
    v1.30 added fixes for the General powers section where text was abbreviated so it doesn't trail off the graphic background.

====================

I have finally added the Google spreadsheet as shown here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgO5kDCEUHf6dExwNTh1ZnJsWXcyUUs2NFBpUFYwUkE#gid=4

This is the skill data the simulator currently uses. For more information, click on the Skill data tab on the simulator. Anyone can make edits to it. I'm not going to restrict it to certain people because I don't know those certain people.

I don't play around when it comes to this stuff so anything I typically say will happen like this for example, will happen.

I'm going to update the first post to add this google spreadsheet document and then I'm moving on to other projects until this game adds a new class/race/someone updates skill data/bugs/etc.
    edited May 2013

[Skill Data]Icy Rays skill (Control Wizard) updated
    [Skill Data] Controlling Action feat (Control Wizard) updated
    [Design] Simulator Options and Log sidebar titles properly formatted like the other sidebar items
    [Page] Link to my thread on NW perfect world forums added.

I think I caught all the google doc changes to the spreadsheet. If I missed one, I'll catch it later when I recheck my email.

Future Talk

If you have been wondering what I've been doing simulator wise, I've been working on new projects. These new simulators have the character simulators for them built in by default. Then it uses that data you enter for other parts of the simulator such as the skill simulator. It also performs extreme validation due to that thus more time for me to spend on coding that.

The sweet thing about all of that is that it opens up many possibilities to use that data you enter in for other things. One such example is damage calculation. There are a lot of possibilities with such a thing.

Every new simulator after I released this one (NW Feats/Powers Simulator) features this. If you would like to see a working example, here is a project I'm working on right now that has its character simulator complete. Just choose any faction and you'll see it. It doesn't really matter if you know the game or not, the point is to see what I'm talking about here.

Click me

Will the Feats/Powers simulator get this?
    I originally stated that I would have to separate the character simulator for the NW Feats/Power simulator into its own separate project away from the feats/power simulator. However, after doing the above character simulator, I'm pretty sure I can add it without much issue.

The only problem would probably be integrating the character simulator with the feats/powers simulator (use whatever you enter in the character simulator such as your level) and the URLs posted all around the net still working after that. Its not that hard really, but requires a lot of work. Then I would have to introduce some other things.

In other words, I'd probably redesign the simulator and all posted URLs would work just fine. It would simply be a redesign.

I would probably not start on this though until I am done with the other projects listed on my site though. And unfortunately, I would not make a "gear simulator" to display your current gear like for the one I'm doing above. This is because that game has a extensive database on all the items in that game.

Anyways, continue helping me out by updating skill information on the spreadsheet. Just know you have my thanks for doing so as it benefits everyone.
  • khazaadkhazaad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    My tablet just threw up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zzzzzdankzzzzzdank Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The best calculator out there. :)
    edited May 2013
    v1.34
    [Performance] Moved JS/CSS simulator files to CDN
    [Performance] Gzipped JS/CSS simulator files

===============================

If you are using a really old browser, the simulator will not work for you due to the fact that it probably can't handle gzipped files. However, I viewed my traffic for the month of april/may, and most users are using up to date browsers.

Most people on broadband will not notice a increase in performance. If you do, its a placebo effect. If you are on 56k, you should notice a increase. Since the files are served on a CDN now, the files are served closest to your area instead of being from my server which is in Dallas, TX.

================================
    Gzipped File size difference

For those that are curious. Structure is File name > Original size > New size

nwv.js -> 89kb -> 20kb
    nwf.js -> 74kb -> 7kb
    nw.js -> 28kb -> 4kb
    nw.css -> 24kb -> 5kb

So the simulator uses about 36kb total. Something a 56k user shouldn't have a problem with. Especially with the files being served closer to your area. However, I only mentioned what the simulator uses. I did not include the rest of the site.

=================================

There shouldn't of been any problems with the simulator with this update. Just that if your browser doesn't support gzip, the simulator will not work. I tested it out in Chrome and things are fine. And like I said, its just a placebo effect if you think the page / simulator loads faster. Heck, even I say it loads faster and I know its a placebo effect.......just like how people are with new Windows versions.
    edited May 2013
    [Data] All class paragon skills now have Rank 2+ information

Google doc spreadsheets updates pending. Should be done either soon or by the end of the day.

Simulator is complete information wise now. I have looked at this site and see no updates about new classes/skills etc so I still consider the simulator done.

Future speak

I am almost done on previous projects. I will work again on this simulator and continue to improve it and add new features. The character simulator will be one of those features. I am still debating on whether or not to convert the powers simulator like it is how with the feats simulator where you are basically given a + and - button and a numeric indicator.

Pro is accurate validation and less bugs since technically, you can't jump from 3 to 1 or 1 to 3 in game.
    Con is that it doesn't represent the in game look.

=========================================

Once the character simulator is live, your build will be automatically converted to have your level built into it. The simulator design will change slightly.

=========================================

*Known Current Simulator bugs

Clicking on skills you don't have access to yet due to not enough points will give you access to the skill line if you are close to accessing them. So if you are at 9 points and you decide to click on Fighter's Recovery I II or III buttons, it will let you do it and give you 12 points.

====> That bug will be fixed in the next update and Guardian Fighter's ? icons will finally have the correct ones.
    edited June 2013
    Had to update the site. I've been wanting to update for quite a while because a lot of things were outdated on it. So I had to take the site down for a hour or so until things are somewhat functional for public viewing.

Changes to simulator
    Feats simulator had to be moved

Changes to site
    Software used on the site was updated to their latest versions

Old tabs were removed and replaced with something new. The new one does not operate like the old one so I had to move simulator content outside of it.

Site template was changed since the one I had was not compatible with the latest version of the software I use to run that site. I am currently fine tuning it so until that is done, I'm not doing anything for any simulator.
    edited June 2013
    v1.35a

[Page] Design update due to site template
    [Page] Skill data spreadsheet embedded on page. You still need to go to actual spreadsheet page if you want to make changes

==========================

Page looks a lot better now. However, the simulator itself needs another design update since the feats simulator is now on the same page as the powers simulator. I typically will make the simulator more compact so people aren't scrolling down a lot. However, the simulator was going to get a update in its design when the character simulator was added so it doesn't really matter anyway.

I've actually been on a hiatus from "work" other than my real job in general. I finally got tired of working so much and while it may seem like I'm off that hiatus right now, it was only to update the site itself. I'll return to work on simulators sometime between thursday-saturday (I have thursday-friday off so.....I really don't think I want to continue to "work" on my days off since its two days off in a row).

I forgot to update the google doc spreadsheets. I will update them right now actually.

• itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I vote for sticky :) (it already somewhat is because you are listed in the master list of guides)

Thx a lot men, helped me out a bunch and u probably saved me 6 euro's by making this.
    /emote bow
    Thx dude great work.
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • phoenixsolacephoenixsolace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Are you going update for the big patch when it comes out?

*also good work thus far*

Thank you already for you hard work :)
    edited June 2013
    Fixed the problem for google chrome users looking at the site and pressing F5 to refresh the page to see a white page with a bunch of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> everywhere. I noticed this issue right before work earlier and didn't find the solution until I got back home.

Short version is : CSS files weren't being loaded. If you looked at my site on the network tab (Right click - Inspect element), it served the CSS files as 304 - NF - text/html and not text/css (and still does). Only the latest versions of google chrome is doing this hence why the site goes from looking good to looking white. My laptop has a older version of chrome and things are fine.

Simple solution was just to force any browser to not use a cached version off their browser. If you are still seeing a messed up page in chrome, just press shift - F5 and then press F5 again. If that doesn't work, empty cache and this problem is gone forever.

Its dumb bugs like these that prevent me from working sometimes >_>. More like dumb google chrome bugs that need to be addressed that aren't being addressed. Whenever it is addressed, I will remove what I added.

***Only reported this because more than 60% of people who visit my site use google chrome. Firefox/IE just aren't popular.
    edited June 2013
    v1.35b

[Page]Design Update

=================

Everything is back in tabs basically. I also put the embedded spreadsheet in the skill data tab. I guess you could say the reason I did this is because I normally like my stuff organized and in tabs. That and the fact that I was working on a simulator that required it.

I am currently busy with another simulator so don't expect any updates for this simulator anytime soon (If you want to know which one, its the JD one on the site). Well until they bring out the patch that updates all the skills or a new class that is. Then I'll jump on it.
    edited October 2013
    After a long hiatus, I am back to working on my hobby which is working on web apps for gamers and my site. I figured I'd just make a update here and go about my business.

================
    Updates

I had to make some major updates to the site since it was months since I last updated it. The only noteworthy changes one would notice is :

The simulator URL changed. It will automatically convert the old urls to new and so on so no worries there.

The site is now responsive meaning it will change according to your screen size. However, the simulators are only created for desktop users so if you're using any screen resolution of 1180px width or less, the simulator may either get cut off to where you can't see it or some things may appear in a vertical line.

=================
    Issues

There shouldn't of been any issues brought upon this update. All old build URLs should still work even though jQuery was updated to the latest version and the simulator code is using outdated/improper code due to certain things being phased out in jQuery. All simulators on the site should of stopped functioning, but they didn't so I'm not going to bother with updating it until I make a actual update to the simulator.

I tested the simulator with the latest versions of IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera. No issues.

=================

What about this simulator?

I have no plans on updating it anytime soon. I will be working on a new project for the time being. So this project is not dead, but its not active either. If I recall, there were other simulators for this game out by the time I stopped working on this one so they are probably more updated than mine is right now so I really don't have to worry about mine for the time being.