test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I'm going to assume no one got banned and no items were rolled back/removed

Comments

• Options
    bzzzdbzzzd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can you elaborate on what exactly the bold part means? That is a little more then vague.

rolling back 5 days or wiping chars wouldn't be optimal for example.
  • Options
    zieglerzzieglerz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 197 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey All,

We are still investigating this internally. I don't have an update yet, but like jenniskr2 said, it may take some time for the full investigation to complete. We need all the data before we can make a concrete determination regarding the optimal next steps. Thanks for your patience and understanding while we look into this!

You forgot to say.....soon™
  • Options
    dezstravusdezstravus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Optimal next steps" just means "the best thing to do"

= The thing that is most technically feasible, makes the players the happiest, has the highest chance of success, does the best job of maintaining a healthy economy, etc... all to be determined. Soon. :)
  • Options
    rhazes1rhazes1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    Don't worry they are "investigating". Until then enjoy some level 60 epics gloves for 25 ad.
    I spend all day reading every thread and letting people know this is BETA.
  • Options
    oldwaysreturnoldwaysreturn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25
    edited May 2013
    thewonger wrote: »
    the bolded word was optimal.. not optional ya illiterate troll.

Glannigan is a troll all you need to do is look at his/her post history to see that. But your post did make me chuckle.
  • Options
    oldwaysreturnoldwaysreturn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25
    edited May 2013

= The thing that is most technically feasible, makes the players the happiest, has the highest chance of success, does the best job of maintaining a healthy economy, etc... all to be determined. Soon. :)

Thank you.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zenraij wrote: »
    Sure if you think thats what it means :) (probably not though.)

They have always acted this way before so it is the only logical conclusion that will act this way again. But believe what you want if that makes you feel better ;)
  • Options
    lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Lol.

Well good luck. If it matters, I would be alright with a wipe. Better that than the economy we are stuck with now.
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Glannigan is a troll all you need to do is look at his/her post history to see that. But your post did make me chuckle.

You are not supposed to call people names oldwaysreturn! Secondly just because I have a different point of view does not make me a troll! 3rdly...what was I gonna say...oh yah! Just because you guys don't have a sense of humor does not make me a troll!

I just am anti anger and bitterness and fully appreciate this totally awesome FREE video game I got and dissagree with those who take every little tiny miniscule thing like the sky is falling and the game stinks.

Hmmmmfff!

Gannigan casts "Polymorph Other" on oldwaysreturn and creates a wooter protruding from oldwaysreturn's forehead.

Polymorph Other (Alteration)
    Explanation/Description: The Polymorph Other spell is a powerful magic which completely alters the form and ability, and possibly the personality and mentality, of the recipient. Of course, creatures with a lower intelligence cannot be polymorphed into something with a higher intelligence, but the reverse is possible. The creature polymorphed must make a "system shock" (cf. CONSTITUTION) roll to see if it survives the change. If it is successful, it then acquires all of the form and abilities of the creature it has been polymorphed into.
  • Options
    wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can you elaborate on what exactly the bold part means? That is a little more then vague.

I think that 'Optimal' was highlighted... I think I can help ya with that:

optimal definition

1. Describes a solution to a problem which minimizes some
    cost function. Linear programming is one technique used to discover the optimal solution to certain problems.

2. Of code: best or most efficient in time, space or code size.

your welcome.
    Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    syrumsyrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 168 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Really wish they'd just do a wipe and start fresh...
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    syrum wrote: »

And I really wish they wouldnt wipe and would just fix the issues
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    syrum wrote: »

Well you know what they say. You can wish in one hand and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in the other....tell me which one fills up first.
  • Options
    ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »
    Ofc not.

(we can still hope it will happen)

Awesome forum avatar lol .
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wesgar wrote: »
    I think that 'Optimal' was highlighted... I think I can help ya with that:

optimal definition

1. Describes a solution to a problem which minimizes some
    cost function. Linear programming is one technique used to discover the optimal solution to certain problems.

2. Of code: best or most efficient in time, space or code size.

your welcome.

He was making fun because the other poster gave the definition of "optional".
    You are welcome.
  • Options
    jmerithewjmerithew Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    glannigan wrote: »
    Well you know what they say. You can wish in one hand and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in the other....tell me which one fills up first.
    WISHES! I'm constipated :-(. But seriously though. I'm hoping if they can't find a solution to balance things out without a wipe, they'll do it if necessary
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jmerithew wrote: »
    I'm hoping if they can't find a solution to balance things out without a wipe, they'll do it if necessary

A wipe would make them look extraordinarily incompetent so they won't do that. it is simpler to just let the game limp on......
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    A wipe would make them look extraordinarily incompetent so they won't do that. it is simpler to just let the game limp on......
    It wouldn't make them look incompetent, it would show integrity. I think the best course of action would be, shut down the servers, ban the exploiters, take a week or 2 to fix alot of the big issues (Balance being the top one imo, tanks should be sought after for groups), then relaunch the game as it's "true" launch. Either let in the founders for their headstart first or think of something else to give them.
  • Options
    zedmuszedmus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    You know what Assuming does, makes and *** out of you and you

No, Assumption makes and *** out of u and umption
  • Options
    lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jmerithew wrote: »
    It wouldn't make them look incompetent, it would show integrity. I think the best course of action would be, shut down the servers, ban the exploiters, take a week or 2 to fix alot of the big issues (Balance being the top one imo, tanks should be sought after for groups), then relaunch the game as it's "true" launch. Either let in the founders for their headstart first or think of something else to give them.

That's a good idea as well, and I also don't see how wiping in beta can make someone look incompetent.
  • Options
    rhazes1rhazes1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    Don't worry they have a guy and when he is done answering day one petitions he can put a couple of hours tracking them down before he has to get back to day 2 of head start petitions.
    I spend all day reading every thread and letting people know this is BETA.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    That's a good idea as well, and I also don't see how wiping in beta can make someone look incompetent.

I think at this point people are going to scream "incompetent" and rage no matter which things go. If things were addressed a little quicker it may not have gotten to the point where a wipe seems like the best solution. But what's happened happened, and I'm more focused on how they're going to handle it from here. Moving forward without a reset is going to upset alot of people, resetting will probably upset just as many. In a situation like this I think the company really needs to do what's best for the game, and I honestly think a reset will help it more in the long run.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Well, they said many times that there was not going to be a wipe. It was reported in the reviews. So yeah, going back on that would make them look incompetent.

Now if this were an *actual* beta, and they hadn't gone making their promises, it would have been much easier to do a wipe.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    shanxtadeushanxtadeu Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    glannigan wrote: »
    You're like school on Sunday....

......No Class! :cool:
    Casting Melf's Acid Arrow on Glannigan, The Forest Troll! Rolled 20 twice ... CRI-CRI-CRI-TICAL HIT!
  • Options
    jnaathrajnaathra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They wipe and thousands will quit. I would be one of them.

edit

and I'd charge back.
    Scout Tragold - "I haven't lived this long by being brave... it's just another word for stupid."
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Well, they said many times that there was not going to be a wipe. It was reported in the reviews. So yeah, going back on that would make them look incompetent.

Now if this were an *actual* beta, and they hadn't gone making their promises, it would have been much easier to do a wipe.

More or less this - they specifically stated no wipes and gave Founders a 3/5 day head start. If they go back on this how many more Founders' packs do you think they will sell in future for other PWE games? And how many people will spend ZEN in the cash shop during the 'Open Beta' for their next game? Not to mention just the logistics of crediting everyone ZEN, etc. There may even be possible legal repercussions with the gambling aspect of lock-boxes.

All in all they just can't afford to do a wipe. If they can't even ban the exploiters (how hard is it to search for accounts that got 100+ epics or made say than 10 million AD off the AH recently, etc...) , do you really think they will bother with a wipe?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jnaathra wrote: »
    They wipe and thousands will quit. I would be one of them.

edit

and I'd charge back.
    The tricky thing with this is alot of people on the other side of the coin feel the same way, myself included. They've seen how exploits get handled in past Cryptic/PWE games. So if there isn't a wipe and within a reasonable amount of time things aren't looking up, those people will quit.
  • Options
    gilderongilderon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If we look at the reality of things, the amount of t2.5 weapons that entered the economy is quite small comparatively. Everything in this game is trivial except for the last boss of castle never. In the grand scheme of things, everything will be forgotten. When gauntlegrim comes out, there will be a whole new tier of gear.

I think that the exploiters should be punished, but you have to be fair about how you do it, and who it impacts. If someone bought a ill-gotten item with their hard earned money, they are innocent, and they certainly don't deserve to be punished. The community is also largely to blame, because if the explots had not been posted on the facebook page and in these forums, in public, the problem would have been MUCH less widespread than it is now. It's the same people calling for wipes and resets and bans that actually perpetuated the problem in the first place. In my opinion, they are just as responsible as the people who actually participated.

The bottom line is, not much of what was done really affects any of us as it is. You can get fully geared in T2 without looking at the AH, in a matter of hours. Running 3-4 pirate lair during dungeon delve is enough to get several pieces.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    More or less this - they specifically stated no wipes and gave Founders a 3/5 day head start. If they go back on this how many more Founders' packs do you think they will sell in future for other PWE games? And how many people will spend ZEN in the cash shop during the 'Open Beta' for their next game? Not to mention just the logistics of crediting everyone ZEN, etc. There may even be possible legal repercussions with the gambling aspect of lock-boxes.

All in all they just can't afford to do a wipe. If they can't even ban the exploiters (how hard is it to search for accounts that got 100+ epics or made say than 10 million AD off the AH recently, etc...) , do you really think they will bother with a wipe?

They'll already have a good idea of who exploited and how much especially with some of them livestreaming their exploiting, right now though they have to consider damage control as well as punishment.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The game does not need to do a full wipe or a rollback.

We (accounts,characters, etc...) reside on a database. It is easy to develop a query that looks for key indicators. Then the records (accounts, characters, etc...) can be modified as needed. They can rollback, wipe, delete, update what ever records they choose.
This discussion has been closed.