test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Don't know where else to put this, please be gentle and courteous.

roguesamuraixroguesamuraix Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I know there are a million people asking for a million things in this game, but I've gotten slightly frustrated now at a few things that are costly to fix.

I don't know (as a new player) what my companion is going to look like (other than dog) I get a companion, think i'm getting a male, and it's female and I can't change their name to suit because it costs 6k diamonds to fix that mistake, because there is no 'preview' or visual reference or BOLD LETTERS saying what race/gender your new companion will be.

Furthermore, for those of us who are playing characters that we are thinking up, it would be nice to be able to select from race options and gender as part of the process. They can be pre generated, but.. then if your dwarf wants to run with another dwarf instead of a human cleric, they can and it all be part of the interaction and gameplay for the person playing.

at least maybe give us a few more options, and for god's sake give us one change for free. I misspelled my companion's name, didn't have money to fix the name, tried to sell back my companion, only to find out i'd sent her packing and had to buy another one 2 gold pieces later. :( Soo frustrating. I understand that power gamers scoff at that money, but as a guild leader, saving up for a guild bank (to which there is no ability to save, transfer, or other guild members to donate diamonds to a guild bank like say, in a repository accessible only as a 'donate only' section so every member can run quests, and donate diamonds as they see fit or as they get them. I am going to have to run everything myself, run the quests myself, just to give my guildies a way to share spoils.

Just a few issues of a game I love and have enjoyed, not trolling at all guys. Just want the game to be all it can be for the devoted players that are going to spend alot of time in your world of Neverwinter. :confused:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Way of the Samurai is found in death. When it comes to either/or, there is only the quick choice of death. It is not particularly difficult. Be determined and advance.
Rikimaru's Painting can be found Here
Post edited by roguesamuraix on

Comments

• gohlargohlar Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2013
    I agree with your post Rogue. Your complaints are reasonable and were stated well.
  • nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    u avin a giggle m8?
  • munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with ya buddy!

I never used my quest given companion, I actually forgot I even had him. Its awfully funny though, thinking about you naming your character, lets say....Brenda Pretty Flowers, come to find out its an ugly male dwarf with a giant beard. haha
  • roguesamuraixroguesamuraix Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    munkey81 wrote: »
    I agree with ya buddy!

I never used my quest given companion, I actually forgot I even had him. Its awfully funny though, thinking about you naming your character, lets say....Brenda Pretty Flowers, come to find out its an ugly male dwarf with a giant beard. haha

Exactly! I named one cleric woman (because I knew she was female) Brunhilde the Celibite. I misspelled Celibate. I looked and it was 6K AD to fix it! Ugh.. Just now, I got enough to buy a new one (since I accidentally sent Brunie back to the stable) I got a Sellsword. I expected him to be a dude so I named him Hogarth Sundersson. What to my dismay, shows a pretty HUMAN GIRL instead of a seasoned male Companion. Nevermind my half orc prefers other half orcs, etc.. nope.. so now, her name is Hogarth until I can fix it either by AD lying around, or toss her back and buy yet another one. -.- Oi Vey..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Way of the Samurai is found in death. When it comes to either/or, there is only the quick choice of death. It is not particularly difficult. Be determined and advance.
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    RL friend of mine who didnt play Beta got the Cleric, named it Steve.. he was not happy how Steve turned out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wartimeraiderwartimeraider Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Exactly! I named one cleric woman (because I knew she was female) Brunhilde the Celibite. I misspelled Celibate. I looked and it was 6K AD to fix it! Ugh.. Just now, I got enough to buy a new one (since I accidentally sent Brunie back to the stable) I got a Sellsword. I expected him to be a dude so I named him Hogarth Sundersson. What to my dismay, shows a pretty HUMAN GIRL instead of a seasoned male Companion. Nevermind my half orc prefers other half orcs, etc.. nope.. so now, her name is Hogarth until I can fix it either by AD lying around, or toss her back and buy yet another one. -.- Oi Vey..

Just say shes uhm.. she has a long history with Dwarves and to learn the artof weaponcraft and usage from them, she needed to stay low and pretend to be a male dwarf.. or something XD

but yea, ive got to agree with OPs statements for sure.
    timeraiderlogo2smaller.gif

Elf Control Wizard - Dragon
  • munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Lol. If you are on the Mindflayer server, friend me. I'd be happy to give you some gold to buy another new companion =)

Barabus The Gray@Bledynn
    edited May 2013
    I'm on dragon, sadly, but thank you very much for the offer. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OR before you double-click the item in your bag and bind it to you how about you right click it first and see exactly what it is you are getting?
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Extra money sink created?

Check.

Working as intended? I thought about that myself as I was creating my companion. Went outside the hall and looked around, then noticed all the cleric companions were the same human race-neutral brown female. She even has two other sets of clothes she can wear as she levels, which isn't enough variation by a long shot. Guessing this is the incentive to buy cash-shop companions. Lord knows 800k AD is a hell of a lot for one non-crappy companion. 2 million for one you can actually use.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    and if it's not clear. Dog is a dog, not checked for 'nads. Cleric is a human female, wizard is a drow male and sword and board guy is a human male
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    and if it's not clear. Dog is a dog, not checked for 'nads. Cleric is a human female, wizard is a drow male and sword and board guy is a human male

Don't forget the useless great weapon fighter that deals 25 damage per hit at rank 15. She's a human (?) female too.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    RL friend of mine who didnt play Beta got the Cleric, named it Steve.. he was not happy how Steve turned out.

You think he was unhappy, how do you think Steve felt?
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • kitsunekisukitsunekisu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I rarely bring my companion out anymore, was good for leveling but now in epic dungeons their 1 shot and an annoyance because how every so often you'll mistake them for a downed party member.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just want to point out that if you actually read up on the companions (in the game, mind you; Just talking to the ocmpanion vendor, clicking on each one, and reading what it says about them) will tell you their gender.

It says that "he" will do this or that "she" will do that. The dog is gender neutral, but it's a dog. :cool:

===================================================================================

Maybe they could re-work that mission so that rather than talking to a salesman you instead talk to each companion and figure out which one that you want to hire.

That would give everyone a clear look at exactly what the basic companion appearance was. It also seems like more work than it is worth.

A preview window, maybe? If they add more basic companions in time, putting more and more inside that building may not be a viable solution, but if they had a preview window that you could check out it would serve the same purpose.
    edited May 2013
    OR before you double-click the item in your bag and bind it to you how about you right click it first and see exactly what it is you are getting?

944556_10201190468874192_1815605277_n.jpg

Yeah. Show me where that is again? You know.. the part where it says MALE or Female, or What race, or anything at all? This is right clicked. Just like you said. Try again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah. Show me where that is again? You know.. the part where it says MALE or Female, or What race, or anything at all? This is right clicked. Just like you said. Try again.

After you buy one you can right click it in your inventory and it should have an option to 'inspect' (or something similar) the companion. It's not really obvious though.
    edited May 2013
    It isn't obvious, and It might bear consideration, I didn't know I had to keep digging for information that hard. It is a fast paced game, and aside from the glance over of stats, I can think of a little better system for identification. This is, after all a beta, things like this are addressed, and fixed, and tweaked as the comments and suggestions come in. I am merely one of those appreciative people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mononoke62mononoke62 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My question is, why does it even cost something to rename your companion?
  • aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I agree, its absolutely ridiculous that they give you a companion, don't tell you the gender or race, and expect you to name it blind.
    Seriously? How did that ever make it past CBT? How easy it would be to fix too. Update the tooltip or choice text. I mean come on. You hear about how lazy Cryptic is, but this is just asinine.
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
  • aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mononoke62 wrote: »
    My question is, why does it even cost something to rename your companion?

AD sink leads to potential zen sales.
    Because money.
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
  • mononoke62mononoke62 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aislingi wrote: »
    AD sink leads to potential zen sales.
    Because money.

That's exactly my point (at least what I hinted at through my question). I'm all for a business making money and profiting from their hard work, but this business model is insulting.
    edited May 2013
    Thank you again for the helpful posts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Someone deleted some other stuff in here, so as a matter of good form, I believe they missed this one and have taken care of it myself.

little forum fairies are appreciated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rekia3rekia3 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know there are a million people asking for a million things in this game, but I've gotten slightly frustrated now at a few things that are costly to fix.

I don't know (as a new player) what my companion is going to look like (other than dog) I get a companion, think i'm getting a male, and it's female and I can't change their name to suit because it costs 6k diamonds to fix that mistake, because there is no 'preview' or visual reference or BOLD LETTERS saying what race/gender your new companion will be.

Furthermore, for those of us who are playing characters that we are thinking up, it would be nice to be able to select from race options and gender as part of the process. They can be pre generated, but.. then if your dwarf wants to run with another dwarf instead of a human cleric, they can and it all be part of the interaction and gameplay for the person playing.

at least maybe give us a few more options, and for god's sake give us one change for free. I misspelled my companion's name, didn't have money to fix the name, tried to sell back my companion, only to find out i'd sent her packing and had to buy another one 2 gold pieces later. :( Soo frustrating. I understand that power gamers scoff at that money, but as a guild leader, saving up for a guild bank (to which there is no ability to save, transfer, or other guild members to donate diamonds to a guild bank like say, in a repository accessible only as a 'donate only' section so every member can run quests, and donate diamonds as they see fit or as they get them. I am going to have to run everything myself, run the quests myself, just to give my guildies a way to share spoils.

Just a few issues of a game I love and have enjoyed, not trolling at all guys. Just want the game to be all it can be for the devoted players that are going to spend alot of time in your world of Neverwinter. :confused:

Hi, I don't know if anyone helped you or not since due to limited time, I cannot read this entire thread on my break, but you can view any companion before naming it by righting clicking it and selecting one of the options. I think it's "preview" if I remember correctly. That's what I did with my wizard before binding him.

Edit: Oh yeah you can actually preview gear and all kinds of stuff before binding it too, but it must be in your inventory unfortunately. No way to preview stuff you don't own yet. :(
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The game doesn't tell you, and a lot of people don't seem to know, but... You can preview the companions before you name them. When they first give them to you, the companion is in your inventory. You can right click and inspect it then. Even before you equip or name it.

Like I said, the game doesn't tell you that though. So I'm not trying to argue with your point. Just throwing that info out there.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This game does a good job of driving people away by adding massive price tags to features that are default even in other free MMO's
    edited May 2013
    rekia3 wrote: »
    Edit: Oh yeah you can actually preview gear and all kinds of stuff before binding it too, but it must be in your inventory unfortunately. No way to preview stuff you don't own yet. :(

That is kind of my point though..if it isn't in my inventory, can i still preview wizard? I did not see a preview selection in the options when I right clicked. It only gave descriptions and stats but no visual or mention of gender.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That is kind of my point though..if it isn't in my inventory, can i still preview wizard? I did not see a preview selection in the options when I right clicked. It only gave descriptions and stats but no visual or mention of gender.

You can't see it before you choose it. Only before you name it.

When you choose the wizard (or whatever companion) they put it in your inventory. After that they then ask your to bind/equip it. Instead of doing that first though, you can look at the companion. At this point it is in your bag. Then you can right click it and choose inspect (iirc). It pops up the screen showing the companion's looks and their gear slots and stuff.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
    edited May 2013
    I get it.. I do.. but it forces me to buy it first, which defeats the purpose of not spending the money unless you know exactly what you are getting. I will definitely look at it closer with the next toon I make, but the original statement still seems pertinent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]