test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

This is why we are acutally in open beta

smkymtndudesmkymtndude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
The recent rash of exploits and bugs. They're squashing them as we speak. This is the exact reason for the open beta. You gotta turn it all on and let everyone in, that's what flushes this kind of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out. Keep your hats on folks, it's a wild ride. If the you can't handle the constant changes, then you shouldn't be in a beta, maybe come back in a few weeks after it's gone gold.
Post edited by smkymtndude on

Comments

• Options
    gohlargohlar Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2013
    Pretending there is a difference between open beta and launch in a f2p game is a useless exorcise in semantics.

Game is live and launched. This your 1st f2p game? Some like to call it a beta for years, it's a useless distinction. Game is released and charging money. It's launched.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If this were an actual open beta, they'd be wiping the characters once the exploits were stamped out.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    pwiratgirlpwiratgirl Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Even if PWE hadn't come out and said "this game is live", the moment you start taking money from people and letting them make permanent characters/changes in-game, it stops being "beta".

In a "beta" (even an open one) you play with the understanding that it's still in the process of being tested, and that once everything is sorted out for "launch" the slate will be wiped clean and the game will be taken live, with everyone starting from scratch. In this game, however, they've taken money and allowed people to purchase things with the understanding that "we will not wipe". Patching and bug-fixing is an on-going process in EVERY mmo. Doesn't only happen in beta.

The game is live. Arguing "it's still beta because the devs say so" is arguing semantics. Permanent characters, no server wipes. Live game.
  • Options
    screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    gohlar wrote: »
    Pretending there is a difference between open beta and launch in a f2p game is a useless exorcise in semantics.

Game is live and launched. This your 1st f2p game? Some like to call it a beta for years, it's a useless distinction. Game is released and charging money. It's launched.

Exactly.

I really wonder if people are unable to think for themselves anymore, and just drink the koolaid of whatever semantics or labels they are fed. Who cares wtf they call it if it doesn't actually have a purpose or function?
  • Options
    ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    'we are in open beta'

No, you're just falling for the obviously marketing scam that Cryptic/PWE are feeding you. If it was Beta, they wouldn't be selling items full price, charging respecs, have the game fully available without rollbacks. This is release with the tag Beta so they can prolongue the excuses for a failed design with exploits and bugs. I really enjoy the game, don't get me wrong, but stop defending their issues because they used the title 'beta'.

If you think different, leave the internet.
    Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • Options
    fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If we are in a beta then stop accepting money.. really..
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Why is everyone so bitter and angry for getting a free video game?
  • Options
    watchyourbackwatchyourback Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The recent rash of exploits and bugs. They're squashing them as we speak. .

proof of this or being hopeful?

not trolling but very serious. seen not 1 response about even a "looking into it" anywhere on FB/twitter/here
  • Options
    watchyourbackwatchyourback Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spacejew wrote: »

+1 for showing this. good eye man. now there is NO excuse at all
  • Options
    armorboxarmorbox Member Posts: 77
    edited May 2013
    fotzik wrote: »
    then stop accepting money.. really..

uO3nvvW.jpg
  • Options
    unirodunirod Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    proof of this or being hopeful?

not trolling but very serious. seen not 1 response about even a "looking into it" anywhere on FB/twitter/here

They are scared ****less and now working on a proper way to tell the Community that they will have to reroll.
  • Options
    pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    an accidental loss of dailies ( confirmed ) is not 'quashing exploits as we speak. Once again, a lack of wipe and taking cash for a game, no matter how buggy means this is released. It might not be finished but it's released. Beta is a testing phase. Tests are wiped before launch.
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    valvexenvalvexen Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    you pay them to beta test there game, man these guys have a good thing going ripping off the ignorant and stupid people, hay for $200 bucks you get a blue name that says look at me im special. And be first in line in the que, oh wait there is no que sucker.

Lol hero of the north............
  • Options
    pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    unirod wrote: »
    They are scared ****less and now working on a proper way to tell the Community that they will have to reroll.

A server wipe with refunds for all zen spends would be the best thing that could happen to it. After the exploits have all been found. To keep it live after recent events makes a mockery of those of us spending money and playing in the correct spirit.
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Too many discussions about irrelevant semantics and not enough discussion on the actual issues.

1. Threads where people use the term "beta" as an excuse for the company not looking into stuff turn into semantics based arguments about what "beta" means rather than actually discussing the issues.

2. Threads where people use the term p2w to describe how the company monetizes the game turn into semantics based arguments about what p2w means rather than actually discussing the issues.

Discussing specific topics related to those two issues has become nigh impossible because of the sheer level of semantics based rules lawyering.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No. Seriously. THE PRODUCER OF THIS GAME SAYS IT'S LIVE! THERE IS NO ARGUMENT TO BE FOUND HERE!

If Cryptic wants to say it's Open Beta, fine. They are liars. Their financier says otherwise, so maybe they should get their corporate ducks in a row and stop banning people for discussing their shady business practices. (Ban for saying P2W about their cash shop, right from launch? I'm sorry, right from Open Beta? Yeah, whatever. They hate their customers as much as their customers hate them. This is a retail environment video game, and I feel so sorry for Cryptic that they were bought out by the devil. Maybe they should have stopped <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up their own games, but now they can screw up for PWE.)

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?239112-Neverwinter-Online-Live-No-longer-in-Open-Beta-(Infographic-Inside)

Once again, proof that you are wrong. There is no argument here. It doesn't exist. Posting about how this is 'open beta' is ignorant, or you're trolling and getting reported. ^_^
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    spacecowboy3117spacecowboy3117 Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    glannigan wrote: »

... Because the game is not designed to be free, its designed to make you want to spend money for 'cool stuff', that cool stuff is priced at a ridiculous level, and instead of releasing core content like new classes, fleshing out the PVP etc. they've added two new groups of useless <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to buy. ... Its insulting really.
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ... Because the game is not designed to be free, its designed to make you want to spend money for 'cool stuff', that cool stuff is priced at a ridiculous level, and instead of releasing core content like new classes, fleshing out the PVP etc. they've added two new groups of useless <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to buy. ... Its insulting really.

Different teams work on different tasks? No way!!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    Too many discussions about irrelevant semantics and not enough discussion on the actual issues.

1. Threads where people use the term "beta" as an excuse for the company not looking into stuff turn into semantics based arguments about what "beta" means rather than actually discussing the issues.

2. Threads where people use the term p2w to describe how the company monetizes the game turn into semantics based arguments about what p2w means rather than actually discussing the issues.

Discussing specific topics related to those two issues has become nigh impossible because of the sheer level of semantics based rules lawyering.

One of those things is prohibited from being talked about on these here forums by decree of the all-high. Because valid criticism of an obvious cash grab mechanic is a banable offense. I won't say which bullet point, since I don't want to get banned along with you for mentioning such a taboo topic.
  • Options
    kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Because they're on the internet.
  • Options
    pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Countered with this.
    Hey everyone,

I just want to remind everyone that there is no need to discuss wether the game is in Open Beta or in Launch state, yet. PWE has clearly states several times that the game is in fact in Open Beta, which means that bugs can occur, Server downtimes can happen (sometimes often) and stuff might not work as it is intended to.

If you encounter any bugs along the way, feel free to report them via the ingame tool. Apart of that, I want to remind everyone here that spreading false information (e.g. saying that the game is not in beta while it is in fact in Open Beta) is not only against our rules of conduct. Even worse, it creates false expectations about the state of the game. And thats something that helps none of us.

- stoermc
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    The recent rash of exploits and bugs. They're squashing them as we speak. This is the exact reason for the open beta. You gotta turn it all on and let everyone in, that's what flushes this kind of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out. Keep your hats on folks, it's a wild ride. If the you can't handle the constant changes, then you shouldn't be in a beta, maybe come back in a few weeks after it's gone gold.

This ^

I agree with the holding off in beta. The only person I play with is a friend who's never played and only when he's on. When he's not I'm not messing with it because I'll run into bugs and that's now what I'm playing for. I'm also not playing it because I don't wanna rush thru to the end. I log into gateway and do my crafting and that's about it for me until it's a solid release.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    Countered with this.

So what you're saying is that not even PWE or Cryptic know what cycle their own game is in? Hmm, sounds like a bad case of the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Also, LOL to them threatening to ban people that call them all their BS.

EDIT: I'm sure it's not just a threat either. I'll probably end up banned, so I should be more careful.
    Apart of that, I want to remind everyone here that spreading false information (e.g. saying that the game is not in beta while it is in fact in Open Beta) is not only against our rules of conduct. Even worse, it creates false expectations about the state of the game. And thats something that helps none of us.

I. Literally. Can't. Stop. Laughing.

Does this mean that PWE is going to ban PWE for lying on their forums and/or their launch page?

I mean, I'm getting so much more entertainment from the drama and failure surrounding this launch than I am from the game itself. I might just stop playing and live on the forums instead.
  • Options
    pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So what you're saying is that not even PWE or Cryptic know what cycle their own game is in? Hmm, sounds like a bad case of the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Also, LOL to them threatening to ban people that call them all their BS.

I. Literally. Can't. Stop. Laughing.

Does this mean that PWE is going to ban PWE for lying on their forums and/or their launch page?
    last time I checked... Yup. PWE is in fact staffed with totally fallible people.:rolleyes:
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

So is every commercial ever made on TV but we don't harbor such venomous resentment. Heck we all spend days talking about our favorite Super Bowl commercials and they give a hell of a lot less entertainment then what this game has given everyone.
  • Options
    cocksworthcocksworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So is every commercial ever made on TV but we don't harbor such venomous resentment. Heck we all spend days talking about our favorite Super Bowl commercials and they give a hell of a lot less entertainment then what this game has given everyone.

The resentment we harbor doesn't stem from us hating the game quite the opposite actually. We are angry/bitter because on the surface NW is a game we all really enjoy playing and were all looking forward to playing for a long time. We are angry because we are trying our hardest to get major glaring game breaking problems fixed before they total ruin the game we love playing forever (arguably already happened) and are being ignored by Cryptic.

So there you have it and I'm speaking as someone who has only spent 10 dollars on the game I can only imagine how founders feel. Just realize we don't care if you don't agree with us about the state of the game we just want cryptic to fix the problems. At this point you guys just come off as tunnel vision having apologists who have at best a loose understanding of what end game means in MMOs.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You can be fallible, but when you threaten people for pointing out your fallibility it becomes somewhat ludicrous. Especially when the semantics you put forward are the worst kind of spin PR. PWE must have been working for Clinton during his impeachment.

It doesn't take a degree in public relations to see what they're trying to do here. It's the most transparent corporate message I've seen in a long time. I'd give them kudos if wasn't such a bad message that ran so contrary to reality.
  • Options
    valvexenvalvexen Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    So when they "LAUNCH" the game, whats going to be the difference from the open beta?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    valvexen wrote: »
    So when they "LAUNCH" the game, whats going to be the difference from the open beta?

That's the real question, that's legally permissible to ask, here on these forums.

Maybe more than one Paragon for each class? Maybe a sixth class? Unrestricted access to the drow race?

More than likely, it will be more items on the zen cash store. Probably involving weekly sales of tremendously expensive items that are now 'on sale' for less so it seems like you're getting a deal. It's ruthless and transparent point-of-sale retail tactics.