Options

This is why we are acutally in open beta

2»

Comments

• Options
    kurtz0619kurtz0619 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    glannigan wrote: »
    Why is everyone so bitter and angry for getting a free video game?

My point exactly...if you don't like the layout then don't play...griping isnt fixing anything
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    More than likely, it will be more items on the zen cash store. Probably involving weekly sales of tremendously expensive items that are now 'on sale' for less so it seems like you're getting a deal. It's ruthless and transparent point-of-sale retail tactics.

Your name says it all...just don't spend money if you don't want to
  • Options
    magitek3magitek3 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    valvexen wrote: »
    So when they "LAUNCH" the game, whats going to be the difference from the open beta?

The most noticeable difference will be that people don't get banned for saying it's launched.
  • Options
    valvexenvalvexen Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    I have beta tested a lot of games, i cant remember one were you could spend money in it, until the actual launch, maybe i missed one down the road, but it sounds like there using semantics here between the words launch and open beta, theoretically as it is now, this game could be in open beta forever.
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kurtz0619 wrote: »
    Your name says it all...just don't spend money if you don't want to

Nah, I'll pay money. I'll even pre-order ESO. It's not the act of spending money that bothers me, it's what I get for my money. There is nothing inherently valuable to me in the real-money store. The game is either designed with the real money items in mind to beat content, or it isn't. Since it isn't, there is no incentive to pay money. If Neverwinter was a game you could get really invested in for the long term I suppose the value of things like extra inventory or how much a respec costs would matter more. But why? There isn't enough content to keep me occupied for even one month. Is it a question of how much money I can spend in that month? No. It's that there is literally nothing for me to do beyond that one month. That one month could be free, or it could cost $5000 dollars. It's up to you, but know full well that you can get the same experience for a definite $15 a month. It will even have fewer bugs and exploits.

My underlying gripe? Getting invested in Neverwinter in the long term means you're going to pay more dollars for a D&D setting. You don't get the combat of D&D, just the setting. You get a cookie cutter generic version of what other action MMO's have done better on top of an easy, laid back one-click-win game. (Slight hyperbole, but how many abilities do you need to keep track of in other games? Yeah.) You can pay real money to make your one click better than someone elses one click. It's the video game version of being a compulsive gambler and PWE is counting on that.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Meh, my friends are quitting the game for good.

It is a shame really. The gameplay was good, but I don't think they ever expected it to be more than a niche game, so no real loss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    magitek3 wrote: »
    The most noticeable difference will be that people don't get banned for saying it's launched.

I'm not sure anyone's been banned for that. All I've seen so far is the threat, and quite frankly, until the PWE site gets changed, they'd look pretty silly banning someone for repeating what is PWE's official information.

Which is not to say that they wouldn't do it. It'd just be remarkably stupid of them to do so.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Nah, I'll pay money. I'll even pre-order ESO. It's not the act of spending money that bothers me, it's what I get for my money. There is nothing inherently valuable to me in the real-money store. The game is either designed with the real money items in mind to beat content, or it isn't. Since it isn't, there is no incentive to pay money. If Neverwinter was a game you could get really invested in for the long term I suppose the value of things like extra inventory or how much a respec costs would matter more. But why? There isn't enough content to keep me occupied for even one month. Is it a question of how much money I can spend in that month? No. It's that there is literally nothing for me to do beyond that one month. That one month could be free, or it could cost $5000 dollars. It's up to you, but know full well that you can get the same experience for a definite $15 a month. It will even have fewer bugs and exploits.

My underlying gripe? Getting invested in Neverwinter in the long term means you're going to pay more dollars for a D&D setting. You don't get the combat of D&D, just the setting. You get a cookie cutter generic version of what other action MMO's have done better on top of an easy, laid back one-click-win game. (Slight hyperbole, but how many abilities do you need to keep track of in other games? Yeah.) You can pay real money to make your one click better than someone elses one click. It's the video game version of being a compulsive gambler and PWE is counting on that.

You make a valid point, and I can see where you're coming from
  • Options
    tallulahkattallulahkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    A server wipe with refunds for all zen spends would be the best thing that could happen to it. After the exploits have all been found. To keep it live after recent events makes a mockery of those of us spending money and playing in the correct spirit.

I have to agree! I know a lot of people do not agree with character wipes, but at this point with all the zen purchases i along with others have spent only to have things broken and our zen wasted, i think they need to wipe the slate clean... Give everyone all their zen back, fix all the exploits and bugs , wipe every ones accounts clean and start the game fresh...... with the previous statement of what to do all that anyone is losing out on is what some time spent.. if people leave, then their loss.. I could be wrong but the way that i see it, is the only people that are probably upset about them doing the wipes are the ones doing the exploiting, because at this point why would anyone care about starting fresh since its only been 2 weeks as long as you got all your zen refunded and there were no major game breaking flaws unless you were using the bugs to your own gain....
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    valvexen wrote: »
    I have beta tested a lot of games, i cant remember one were you could spend money in it, until the actual launch, maybe i missed one down the road, but it sounds like there using semantics here between the words launch and open beta, theoretically as it is now, this game could be in open beta forever.

Actually Tribes Ascend had an open cash store even during their open beta. That's the only example I can think of off the top of my head though.

I totally agree otherwise.

EDIT:

What are the odd's they kept track of what zen were bought with real money versus AD I wonder? I guess they have receipts on the PWE store, but you gotta wipe all non-store Zen along with people's characters, gear, AD, coins, and basically their free time for the last few weeks. Giving out free zen to everyone as a big 'we're sorry' would help, but you won't get your time back. Without my 49th level GWF I can guarantee I'll just go back to Tera immediately after a wipe.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What about the games that you have to pay to get into Alpha or Beta? Are they actually launched games because you spent money on them?
  • Options
    thewongerthewonger Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Path of Exile. Two Moons.
  • Options
    majtrollxmajtrollx Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    gohlar wrote: »
    Pretending there is a difference between open beta and launch in a f2p game is a useless exorcise in semantics.

Game is live and launched. This your 1st f2p game? Some like to call it a beta for years, it's a useless distinction. Game is released and charging money. It's launched.

This. People have a hard time understanding the f2p game model. This is how they release, and this game will be in 'Open Beta' until the game dies.
  • Options
    borneolborneol Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    What about the games that you have to pay to get into Alpha or Beta? Are they actually launched games because you spent money on them?

No because it is still a test if there is a reset at the end. You can even claim that this game is beta based on it being in a beta stage of development. But you can't call it a beta test because it is not a test at all, there is no reset and it is a commercial service already. So the best you could do is call it a launch of a game in beta stage, but that doesn't exactly give it a very positive spin either.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What are the odd's they kept track of what zen were bought with real money versus AD I wonder? I guess they have receipts on the PWE store, but you gotta wipe all non-store Zen along with people's characters, gear, AD, coins, and basically their free time for the last few weeks. Giving out free zen to everyone as a big 'we're sorry' would help, but you won't get your time back. Without my 49th level GWF I can guarantee I'll just go back to Tera immediately after a wipe.

Actually, the Zen reset isn't that hard, technically speaking. All you have to do is set everyone's AD balance to zero, reset the Founder's packs, and set everyone's Zen to the total of however much they transferred into the game from PWE - they have to have logs for that.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    valvexenvalvexen Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »

If you can keep your current character as is with no wipe, you can get your char to MAX level, everyone person in the world has access to the game, you can spend money in the game, sounds like a launch to me, they can play word games and legalisms and semantics all they want, but if the only thing seperating the beta and the launch is the actual words themselves........................