test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter summed up

ziliphadeziliphade Member Posts: 16 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So I am fairly new to the MMORPG style and I wanted to know what the veterans think of this game, since I started browsing the forums I see tons of complaints about bug, exploits, scams, and broken metagame.

And I didn't want to spend a lot of time on a game that will just flop, so are these just the kinds of things that happen in mmo betas or is it actually gonna be a big issue?
Post edited by ziliphade on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2013
    bumpity bump
  • Options
    omestesomestes Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It happens in all MMOs, both beta and for the first couple months after release. It generally stays an issue for the entire life of the game too. GW2 had a HUGE problem, until it receded to the background. WoW intermittently had big issues.

As for flopping... I have no clue is this game will. I'm of a very mixed opinion, this game is full of flaws, its business model annoys the hell out of me, it doesn't feel polished, the classes are somewhat dull... but... once I load it up I have a hard time quitting. It feels like WoW did in the early days, which is a feeling no MMO has really captured since. There are much better games out there (Guild Wars 2, especially), but this one has something "special" to it.
  • Options
    fullmetalpopefullmetalpope Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In my fourteen years of MMO experience I have never seen a game that has had more exploits and bugs then Neverwinter. It is not that the exploits are not known because they are. I think the hotfixes on these exploits like Idols, Leadership Packs, Zen Exchange, Pirate Lair and the list goes on are simply just to slow and is really hampering the integrity of Neverwinter.

I am really disappointed about the release thus far but I have not given up hope just yet.

You still have me Perfect World and others like me, but please fix these issues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jester3993jester3993 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not a D&D veteran, but I am an MMO veteran, and I will say this....

The only people that will still be playing this game in 6 months will be the die-hard fans. All the rest of us will look elsewhere due to the issues you named in your opening post.

MMO betas are typically going to have a few snags, a bit of server instability, possibly a few exploits. They should not, however, be charging insane amounts of money for something considered only mostly finished and should not be having so many exploits. These are complaints that are widely known and have yet to be addressed. Combine that with the frequent downtime and many players will turn elsewhere for their MMO entertainment.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Oh yeah thanks for reminding me jester, the whole 200$ for something that people say you will just get on release anyways seemed like a very slimy deal to me
  • Options
    psudejipsudeji Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's plenty of issues, but the game is extraordinarily fun and will suck you in regardless of them. Hopefully they'll get to fixing these problems (and concerns) in due time. Mechanics are solid and everything seems mostly balanced (unless you're a high level Defender.)
  • Options
    debarsdebars Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    Its a decent free to play mmo until elder scrolls or final fantasy 14 comes out. Thats about it.....
  • Options
    fullmetalpopefullmetalpope Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ziliphade wrote: »
    Oh yeah thanks for reminding me jester, the whole 200$ for something that people say you will just get on release anyways seemed like a very slimy deal to me

We'll see if the Panther and spider mount stay exclusive. There may be color variations to them available.

In all honesty, the zen store is a MASSIVE letdown. There is really nothing in it and it really empty and bland for a game that is supposed to generate they're revenue within this cash store. I think the E-Commerce department really dropped the ball on this. But hey, I am sure they are selling enough keys though to have already funded the game 100%, if not **** close.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pelarius2046pelarius2046 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    I obviously don't pay enough attention, I have no idea what any of these huge issues and exploits are.

I've been playing the game a lot since OB started and I'm having a great time, I say don't worry about all the forum drama and don't pay attention to all the nonsense chat in-game. Just play the game, it's good fun.

Honestly my biggest issue up to this point was the apparent lack of cloaks/capes in the game and yesterday I found out, they do indeed exist so - I'm happy, lol.
    Theohelm, Guardian of the Dalelands.
  • Options
    jim1771jim1771 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jester3993 wrote: »
    I'm not a D&D veteran, but I am an MMO veteran, and I will say this....

The only people that will still be playing this game in 6 months will be the die-hard fans. All the rest of us will look elsewhere due to the issues you named in your opening post.

MMO betas are typically going to have a few snags, a bit of server instability, possibly a few exploits. They should not, however, be charging insane amounts of money for something considered only mostly finished and should not be having so many exploits. These are complaints that are widely known and have yet to be addressed. Combine that with the frequent downtime and many players will turn elsewhere for their MMO entertainment.
    What charge the game is F2P and if you use the exchange function you dont have to pay for zen.
  • Options
    jim1771jim1771 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We'll see if the Panther and spider mount stay exclusive. There may be color variations to them available.

In all honesty, the zen store is a MASSIVE letdown. There is really nothing in it and it really empty and bland for a game that is supposed to generate they're revenue within this cash store. I think the E-Commerce department really dropped the ball on this. But hey, I am sure they are selling enough keys though to have already funded the game 100%, if not **** close.
    Would you rather the game be pay to win?
  • Options
    kyaaakyaaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just wait until The Elder Scrolls Online comes out.
  • Options
    galdraegaldrae Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ziliphade wrote: »

I think it's pretty much the same as other games have collectors editions 200$ is a bit steep in my opinion but it's a bit like the super collectors edition.

As for whether it will be around long or not, who knows. It will be around as long as it is profitable, launches always have a lot of bugs and exploits and so on, and a lot of other people with doomsday like predictions that the game is ruined because of this and that. In my opinion I think this one will be around for a while.
  • Options
    rycegamingrycegaming Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    If you want to play for fun, sure. For legit competition for PVE/PVP, nope, not in this game. Your not going to beat the already exploited players. Not to mention this game is P2W. 1% enchantment success, but if you buy an item from cash shop, it becomes 100%, wtf?
  • Options
    djleberdjleber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i agree there are bugs and exploits that need to be sorted. the cash shop is overpriced but i still genuinely believe u can make enough diamonds in game to fund anything you need right now. so far ive earnt over 1m in diamonds from farming and selling on the AH or flipping stuff

right now thats equiv to roughly $25 - $30 of zen so im not really bothered. as time goes on and more things become cheaper to get (mainly enchants and gear on AH) the prices of them will drop meaning there will be less reason to buy zen. look at a long term goal on the cash shop not how the current exchange rate is.

Some of the most annoying things is PVP afkers or spawncamping from other teams in domination but this is something that every MMO can suffer from it just needs the right tweaks to add penaltys/instadeath depending on the situation. Class balance is out of whack a bit depending how stringent u are on every class being completely balanced but that will never ever happen. there is always a flavour of the month

PvE in my opinion is really fun. im running high tier dungeons with friends and there are some real challenges and some are easier but part of the fun is being able to overcome the challenge of a hard dungeon (just ask anyone who killed mad dragon at lv 35) and with the dungeon delves buff it really makes it worth completing the challenge (dungeon delves buff is guaranteed class item at end of dungeon - may not be useful to u but it means everyone gets something regardless)

My overall feeling right now with the game is im enjoying the hell out of it with my guildies and simply if it becomes boring ill stop playing - for a FREE game really u cant go wrong if u dont invest money into it what have u lost? nothing other than time really and theres no other MMO's worth playing out right now in my opinion to waste time on this over another game
  • Options
    djleberdjleber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rycegaming wrote: »
    If you want to play for fun, sure. For legit competition for PVE/PVP, nope, not in this game. Your not going to beat the already exploited players. Not to mention this game is P2W. 1% enchantment success, but if you buy an item from cash shop, it becomes 100%, wtf?

Dude are u serious? why do people keep bringing that up. a blue ward can be obtained from praying for 7 days then getting a augmentation coffer (chance of blue ward) or selling things on the AH and actually buying one with ingame currency for roughly 120k AD right now. Stop being lazy expecting to be able to get some of the best enchantments in the game in under a few days. work for it cos theyre worth it, and there is no need to pay zen for it. ive made over 1m AD in 3 days playing the AH and selling enchants/gear i find
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jim1771 wrote: »
    What charge the game is F2P and if you use the exchange function you dont have to pay for zen.

It is F2P, but in the most annoying sense. To the point where it hampers game play a bit. It isn't like GW2, where the game currency is worth something, and thus worth gems (actual money), gold in this game is worthless, and the only "real" currency is limited. Prices are ridiculous, even with exchange. $40 for a mount is an insult, and sure, you can buy it with game money but it would take a forever to get it. Same for profession boosting items. The business model is the biggest problem with this game, it is downright exploitive.

I'm comparing it to GW2, which is pretty much the gold standard (pun unintended) of cash shops, you can get boosts, you can get vanity, but you can't buy anything that gives you an actual advantage. This game is too close to P2W, you actually get a leg up by spending cash, and with the exchange rates, you really can't match it with AD, especially with caps.

To be honest, this is a game I will play until cap, and then uninstall. At cap, its either a complete grind, or expensive as hell.

Not to say I won't enjoy the hell out of myself until I quit, but I will quit. This isn't WoW or GW2, there is no reason to stick around. If they offered a straight up purchase (for less than $200), or a sub option, I might take them up. But as it stands, there is no point.

It is odd to say, that even Tera has done F2P better.
  • Options
    rycegamingrycegaming Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    djleber wrote: »
    Dude are u serious? why do people keep bringing that up. a blue ward can be obtained from praying for 7 days then getting a augmentation coffer (chance of blue ward) or selling things on the AH and actually buying one with ingame currency for roughly 120k AD right now. Stop being lazy expecting to be able to get some of the best enchantments in the game in under a few days. work for it cos theyre worth it, and there is no need to pay zen for it. ive made over 1m AD in 3 days playing the AH and selling enchants/gear i find

And it was during the exploit sessions.
  • Options
    spikespirespikespire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a huge MMORPG player for the past 10 years of my life, and have been a heavy D&D Player for 6. Neverwinter kinda fills in most of the voids of a game that I've been looking for.

From what I've seen of it, I find it VERY impressive. It just lacks content and needs some minor tweaks here and there to make it run a bit better or to just make it more enjoyable. Mind you this is from a "Casual" type of point of view, and I think this type of game should be enjoy like a fine dessert. You can take small bites and enjoy and savor the moment you are in and really enjoy yourself, OR you can just be a pig and shove it down your face hole without even taking the time to even SAVOR the deliciousness that is this fine and neatly present piece of dessert like the mannerless swine you are, *AHEM* Got a bit ragey there, sorry.

Anyway point being, I enjoy this game and I truly believe there is REAL potential behind this and I'll keep saying it unless proven otherwise. Right now to ME as my personal opinion, which I am sure a lot will agree with me on this, that it just needs more content but seeing that this just went Open Beta as of...almost a month ago? I can overlook the content issue and wait patiently.
    NWsig_zps2f8df234.png
    ZRcH2.gif .gif .gif
    "You know you wanna fondle my dragons."
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rycegaming wrote: »
    And it was during the exploit sessions.

wtf are u talking about. i made 500k of it last night by finding shards and getting a blue ward out of a coffer - ur <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> honestly
  • Options
    zinszins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    peeps will always find things to complain about in any game... this is a decent game..really good for a f2p game imo.. as for gw2 that some one posted about meh totally NOT worth the purchase price imo .. i do have have it and have 8 yes 8 level 80 toons there, it'enjoyable but i seriously regret buying it to be honest(gw2) they broke me from ever buying anything else before i play it lol or know someone with my taste in gaming who has played it
  • Options
    sadmummysadmummy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Every mmo forum is full of complains. Still, that doesn't mean many of them aren't justified.
    The game is very good, but it still has some serious issues. The worst of them, the cashing system, is here by design, so it won't be "fixed". The rest of the issues will be fixed sooner or later.
  • Options
    probywanprobywan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    leveling is very enjoyable and fun, and the combat is great. that's about all i can say O.o
  • Options
    xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    debars wrote: »
    Its a decent free to play mmo until elder scrolls or final fantasy 14 comes out. Thats about it.....

Ahahah, you haven't played them then I take it?

Wildstar is your best bet. Neverwinter kicks the **** out of the other two.
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    really hope eso can actually stand up to all the hype given on these forums and elsewhere lol.

As to the issues, the biggest ones are to do with pvp which were present as of beta weekend 3 thats plenty of time to fix but they still seem to be there or atleast slight variations.
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    zarkheszarkhes Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    There are people who complain about P2W

Its not P2W, its more like P to have fun, or have your brain melted by endless grind untill you gave up and buy our imaginnary **** in our half-baked game

There are people who complains about gameplay, glitches bugs

Its not beta.They taking money, they advertise this game as a Live, ****, they even force you to buy a respec token when you have bugged skills!

And then there are people like me who complain about Lore (whitch there are 5)

This game has nothing to do with D&D.There is no point to pick your deity, background or anything related to your character.You never hear from it in an actual game.There is no alignment system.No chaotic vs Lawful, no Good vs Evil.There are no conversation in a main quest (aparently we got a foundry for it...i gues).
    Neverwinter, IWD of BD are about make an uniqe character as much as you can.Instead we got bunch of kids ,,PWNing us,, and 60 leves all gear up in epics...but none of them has ANY entry in character biography...

Bugs you can fix, price you can change...But the spirit of D&D you cant just pump up in a game...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    zarkhes wrote: »
    Bugs you can fix, price you can change...But the spirit of D&D you cant just pump up in a game...

Unless its DDO, of course. Sadly, like Neverwinter, DDO doesn't feel polished, and it feels like the market takes the forefront to gameplay, which pretty much kills games for me.
  • Options
    aftershafteraftershafter Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You will have to go a *long* way to find an MMO that doesn't have similar issues at launch. What's more, the crowd that does most of the complaining will move on in a few months and you'll find a community that actually likes the game for what it is and not for what they want it to be after that, and the community will be a heck of a lot better.

This game will be around for a few years, I suspect. Play it for a few weeks and if you don't like it, move on. It's free, and it's highly unlikely it's going anywhere.
  • Options
    iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    These are some of the worst exploits I've ever seen- and if you are legit, you will get to max level and prices will be so inflated by then, that you won't be able to afford anything good, while anything you find will be so farmed up you won't be able to sell it for anything. That is the cost that people defending exploiters do not understand.

Worst part is, nothing is being done about it- and most of these were preventable. AFK pvp farming for example- every mmo has afk votekick, afk kick if you don't get into combat in x seconds, and afk kick if you stay in the starting area too long... this game only has leader kick privs- and you're SOL if the leader is afk. All endgame pvp and pve gear being BoE adds to the problem heavily, since without that there would really be nothing to farm and sell for AD- that alone has made this game an exploiters paradise.

This might not matter much if 'basic' things were easily obtainable in game- but since you will need to use the auction house, or farm literally hours a day for months- to get bags, mounts, companions, afford respecs, etc.... anything that effects the economy like this is going to hurt low budget players who don't live in the game the most, since they will almost never be able to afford these things unless they spend real money. And the costs for items with real money is insanely expensive.

When you think about it- that might have been their plan all along, if average players feel they need to pay cash to get basics. Sure, some will leave in disgust, but some will also cough up the dough. I was wondering how a company who not only has previous mmos, but has dealt with THESE VERY EXPLOITS before could let them happen again- but if it's part of their cash making strategy, suddenly it's not so much of a surprise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This game has had a good and a rough start. But for me personally it has the Forgotten Realms IP and no amount of haters, bugs, exploits will drive me away. I will endure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]