test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Zone Chat is Trade Chat until Official Channel is created.

ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Title.

Please can people stop complaining and reporting people for spam for trying to sell their items in Zone chat when there is no other official channel for merch's to use. I joined the custom Trade channel myself and it honestly takes like 20 minutes to even see any life in there. It's also a custom channel, we shouldn't be punished for trying to trade in the official channels.

I merch Gold:Diamonds and that's how I make my wealth, please don't tell me to go to the Auction House because I don't use it.

People are constantly using Zone chat for trading and personally I think that people being 24 hour muted for doing this is somewhat pathetic. New players have no idea where to trade and if they see floods of people in chat trading they're going to do it. Why should they risk being muted for 24 hours because players dislike seeing purple on their screen and would rather see nothing there.

If you're one of these people who ignore everyone who tries to trade in Zone chat, please stop. You're actually ruining the game for people for 24 hours because you expect people to use custom channels for everything.

If you dislike seeing trade in Zone, that's fine. Help us get an official Trade channel so we can do it elsewhere. The custom one isn't used, thus people aren't going to use it. People being soft-banned from being able to play because there isn't an official channel is stupid.

This thread acts as discussion on the system, not individual punishments.
Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
PvE Enthusiast.
mbre6g.jpg
Post edited by ashrox10 on

Comments

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    . . . . . . Unfortunately, this has become apparently true even though it isn't. We sorely need official Trade and LFG channels. An Official Guild Recruitment channel couldn't hurt either.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought the Auction House itself was the "Trade Channel". I refuse to buy anything advertised in the zone channel. And if someone spams it multiple times one after another I have no problems reporting it as spam.
    please don't tell me to go to the Auction House because I don't use it.

Maybe you should?
  • ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    I thought the Auction House itself was the "Trade Channel". I refuse to buy anything advertised in the zone channel. And if someone spams it multiple times one after another I have no problems reporting it as spam.

Maybe you should?

I merch gold to diamonds, I can't use the Auction House.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
    edited May 2013
    As I said I don't have much of a problem if people post it once. Pasting the same things 5 times in 1 second is really the definition of spam.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Then don't be surprised if you get chat banned by people who don't want to see that kind of stuff on Zone ever.

I don't mind either way - I turn off Zone in Cryptic's titles. Always.
  • stargeezertimstargeezertim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    Then don't be surprised if you get chat banned by people who don't want to see that kind of stuff on Zone ever.

I don't mind either way - I turn off Zone in Cryptic's titles. Always.

Pretty much this ^^
    hh_banner_small_revised_zps5bc02b95.jpg

Will /danceseductive for ZEN. :cool:
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the community has created a few trade channels. but we need more advertisement.

NWOTrade /channel_join NWOTrade is one of the ones i'm in.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One question who decides what is "allowed" and what "isn't allowed" in zone chat?

Mob rule ?

Cryptic just needs to make an official trade tab and get the grouping system working with some respectable features unlike it is now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pilf3r wrote: »
    One question who decides what is "allowed" and what "isn't allowed" in zone chat?

Mob rule ?

Cryptic just needs to make an official trade tab and get the grouping system working with some respectable features unlike it is now.

Yes, it is mob rule. There's absolutely nothing stopping say, 15 people from not wanting to see somebody to talk for whatever reason at all to put said person on ignore. Suddenly, POOF! instant 24 hour chat ban with no repercussions. And no solution for the banned person, too.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, it is mob rule. There's absolutely nothing stopping say, 15 people from not wanting to see somebody to talk for whatever reason at all to put said person on ignore. Suddenly, POOF! instant 24 hour chat ban with no repercussions. And no solution for the banned person, too.
    Assuming the banned person doesn't try to contact support...
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I don't doubt that this has happened sometimes. (this is the internet after all) But I wonder how many of the innocent are really that. It reminds me of a line from the Shawshank Redemption "We're all innocent in here" (paraphrasing from memory)

You may be right and it may be common, but I wish there was someway to get real statistics on it, it would be fascinating.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As I said I don't have much of a problem if people post it once. Pasting the same things 5 times in 1 second is really the definition of spam.

^^ This.

Trading is one thing. Being a broken down record is another.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    charononus wrote: »
    I don't doubt that this has happened sometimes. (this is the internet after all) But I wonder how many of the innocent are really that. It reminds me of a line from the Shawshank Redemption "We're all innocent in here" (paraphrasing from memory)

You may be right and it may be common, but I wish there was someway to get real statistics on it, it would be fascinating.

Check out the Champions Online Forum and search "Chat-Ban".
    I'm not being Snarky. This is a real suggestion. There are God alone knows how many posts on the subject. Enough to get a better understanding of the subject.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You do realize that the "Report Spam" function is there specifically to report gold/real money traders only. To use it to report/silence people that match your general definition of spam is actually against the ToS.

In fact, (not that they'll ever do it), but those who use the report spam feature on someone who isn't a RMT-er should get a warning, then a temporary, and finally a permanent ban...

Do keep in mind that you can still ignore someone you don't want to hear - you won't have to see what they're shouting and they should still be able to chat.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited May 2013
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Check out the Champions Online Forum and search "Chat-Ban".
    I'm not being Snarky. This is a real suggestion. There are God alone knows how many posts on the subject. Enough to get a better understanding of the subject.
    I'll do that, I find the whole subject fascinating as a case of a good idea in theory being ruined by the social anonymity of the internet. I didn't find your post snarky at all.
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The problem with traders in Zone chat is that there are so many posting multiple times that it scrolls by incredibly quickly, it's almost impossible to read a normal post. The other issue I have with trading in chat is what is the point of having an Auction House then?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Separately, there should be some way to cancel spam reporting. I know I've accidentally reported someone for spam because the person copied a spam tell asking if that's spam.

On a related note, please do NOT copy spam posts.
  • pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why did they copy an old design that didn't have one?
    edited May 2013
    All the devs need to do is create official Trade, LFG, and perhaps Guild Recruitment channels, and everything will be resolved. They've made the same oversight in CO and STO, and it still boggles my mind to this day...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    edited May 2013
    The problem with traders in Zone chat is that there are so many posting multiple times that it scrolls by incredibly quickly, it's almost impossible to read a normal post. The other issue I have with trading in chat is what is the point of having an Auction House then?
    AH only deals with one type of trading. There's also trade of equals (trading item of one class/type for another item of a different class/type of equal value), trade of non-AH currency (gold), and some items are just too expensive to use the AH on (like if/when people start selling R9/R10 enhancements/runes..). Not to mention the whole brokenness of the AH filter anyway, rendering it unreliable.
    edited May 2013
    Interesting, just read some of the CO forums as suggested. It really does seem like this is a good idea that well failed because of internet people and could use some tweaking. Maybe something like when the chatban would normally hit atm it instead blocks zone chat, tells, and composing mail while a cs person looks at the logs. If there was spam, or some form of obscene behavior a heavier chat ban of all chat functions kicks in for somewhere between 3-7 days.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    You do realize that the "Report Spam" function is there specifically to report gold/real money traders only. To use it to report/silence people that match your general definition of spam is actually against the ToS.

Spam is spam. Doesn't matter if its a gold seller or a legit merchant. The button is called report 'spam'. If they want it to be used for something else (like only reporting gold sellers) they should specify that openly. Specific official channels would help I'm sure, but you'd still have people who want to advertise to a broader audience across all channels.

Personally unless they are being overly dumb I usually just ignore the ones that annoy me that aren't gold sellers. But there are some claiming that even with enough ignores people still get chat banned. No clue if its true.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • shepherdofmanshepherdofman Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    As far as I know same chat system in all their games and they'll never be fixed. Even players with the ability to mute will not be punished.
    ~They are Lions, and I am their Shepherd~
  • fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jetah wrote: »
    the community has created a few trade channels. but we need more advertisement.

NWOTrade /channel_join NWOTrade is one of the ones i'm in.

So what's the O supposed to stand for? NWTrade I could understand but NWO??
    edited May 2013
    fotzik wrote: »
    So what's the O supposed to stand for? NWTrade I could understand but NWO??
    Online I assume.
    edited May 2013

In fact, (not that they'll ever do it), but those who use the report spam feature on someone who isn't a RMT-er should get a warning, then a temporary, and finally a permanent ban...

Do keep in mind that you can still ignore someone you don't want to hear - you won't have to see what they're shouting and they should still be able to chat.

Repeating the same line 5 times in 1 second is definitely spam. I'm not sure what your definition of it is. If you want to sell in zone chat don't do that and you wont annoy 75% of the people in the zone and more than likely wont be silenced, it's simple.
  • ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All the devs need to do is create official Trade, LFG, and perhaps Guild Recruitment channels, and everything will be resolved. They've made the same oversight in CO and STO, and it still boggles my mind to this day...

This.

/10char
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Online I assume.

Okay, strange.. The games not named that but whatever..
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    fotzik wrote: »
    Okay, strange.. The games not named that but whatever..
    . . . . . It's name is indeed Neverwinter but it is a solely online game. NWO was adopted early on as an acronym by many Community Members and has stuck. The Online part has been ushered in mainly by the Community when chatting about the game to make the distinction between Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Online, for the two games are not of the same franchise. They share a City Name and a Campaign Setting. There was a time when the forums were flooded with the misconceptions about NWO being a sequel to NWN2. The addition of the Online and NWO Acronym were the Community's answer. It didn't happen over night and not with the intent, but through conversations and just by it being used to so much, it stuck.

. . . . . Sorry, it is late and I fear I rambled a bit.
    edited May 2013
    Repeating the same line 5 times in 1 second is definitely spam. I'm not sure what your definition of it is. If you want to sell in zone chat don't do that and you wont annoy 75% of the people in the zone and more than likely wont be silenced, it's simple.

That may be YOUR definition of spam, or it may even be the generally accepted definition, but in the context of games that use the Cryptic Engine, 'Report Spam' is STRICTLY for reporting real money traders/sellers. It may not be enforced, but to use it otherwise is incorrect.