test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Boss fights are boring and repetitive

furah37furah37 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited April 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello,

TLDR: With very few exceptions the boss fights in this game boil down to one big monster and lots of waves of adds. This is boring after the nth time and should be addressed.

I am writing out of concern for the boss fights in this game. I am a fairly new lvl 60 Trickster Rogue. Up to my level I have seen the same pattern repeated over and over with boss fights: One big boss with a lot of health, copious amounts of AoE attacks and waves of additional critters summoned by the boss. It is pretty repetitive and after a while it gets to be boring.

I know that the folks at Cryptic can do better. Of all the forgettable and mindless bosses that I have killed up to this point only the Fire Eye from the Chasm stands out due to its unique mechanics - well, as unique as they get in Neverwinter.

Overall I enjoy the dungeon delves quite a bit but the bosses leave a lot to be desired in my opinion! What do you think?
Post edited by furah37 on

Comments

• Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I thought the spell plague shrinking platform was kinda cool :P
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes - the spell plague fight was certainly one of the fights that stands out from the rest.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree. Need more disintegration and save vs death, and less adds :)
  • Options
    jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fancy polls and lots of complaints are nice and all, but what do you suggest they do with the limited AI? I mean, its not like every fight can be some crazy epic Dark Sould styled fight. Or a huge, expansive puzzle fight like Shadow of the Colossus.
  • Options
    spazzenspazzen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jedizalm wrote: »
    Fancy polls and lots of complaints are nice and all, but what do you suggest they do with the limited AI? I mean, its not like every fight can be some crazy epic Dark Sould styled fight. Or a huge, expansive puzzle fight like Shadow of the Colossus.

Maybe do something else then throwing zergs of adds at us over and over and over, causeing the cleric to get all aggro all the ****ing time+ Not that hard
  • Options
    xxxretsopmixxxretsopmi Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They can't do anything that hasn't already been done in some other MMO.
  • Options
    vestige321vestige321 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well they can add more adds...that would be something no MMO has done, 100+ Adds!
  • Options
    therealdestiantherealdestian Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    Even DnD campaigns often have tactics beyond tank'n'spank.

I'd like to see more tactics used.
  • Options
    rosselohrosseloh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    I agree. Need more disintegration and save vs death, and less adds :)
    Also, don't make them 100% immune to my control effects. I can understand making a boss immune to a stun or root, but please let me apply my stacks of chill.......it's pretty much everything my build is based on.
    Turn - Dwarf Wizard
    Turniwen - Half-orc GWF
    Turnholm Twofoot
    - Halfling Cleric of Kelemvor
    Errol Lackelir - Half-elf Rogue
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    spazzen wrote: »
    Maybe do something else then throwing zergs of adds at us over and over and over, causeing the cleric to get all aggro all the ****ing time+ Not that hard

Well....I guess simply removing the adds is a suggestion. Something every one is fond of. But then it becomes a simple team bashing a boss. I think there posters are looking for epic, fantastic boss fights, memorable for months, mayhaps even years later, but they arent getting that here, so they are calling for improvments of the bad boss system we have now without adding into the pot themselves.

You cant eat the soup and expect it to be lobster without putting the lobster in the pot first. At least suggest where to get the lobster.
  • Options
    yukishiro3yukishiro3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    They should take this mechanic to its logical conclusion. Have a boss where YOU spawn the adds and you have to keep them ALIVE or else the boss does "a deep breath" and wipes everyone. That way we can all shout "NEED MOAR ADDS!"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The point is not to re-invent the wheel. Only to make things a bit more interesting. We are in an open beta stage, allegedly preparing for the real release of the game. It would be a shame if a game as well put together as Neverwinter had a low mark in what is a staple of MMORPGs and Dungeons and Dragons tabletop.
  • Options
    john242424john242424 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vestige321 wrote: »
    Well they can add more adds...that would be something no MMO has done, 100+ Adds!

I don't think it is actually possible for them to add anymore.

1. No more will fit on your screen.
    2. I don't think developers have come up with a code yet to have more than they already do.
    3. More people will give up on the Cleric class than already have.
    4. LMFAO
    Frosted Lucky Charms are Magically Delicious!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jedizalm wrote: »
    Well....I guess simply removing the adds is a suggestion. Something every one is fond of. But then it becomes a simple team bashing a boss. I think there posters are looking for epic, fantastic boss fights, memorable for months, mayhaps even years later, but they arent getting that here, so they are calling for improvments of the bad boss system we have now without adding into the pot themselves.

You cant eat the soup and expect it to be lobster without putting the lobster in the pot first. At least suggest where to get the lobster.

I will let the designers of the game come up with ideas to keep us entertained. I don't think anyone expects Cryptic to re-invent the wheel; only to add some more variety to the fights that we have in the game.
  • Options
    clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    And yet, if Cryptic did change the boss fights, players would scream about that.

My suggestion for a boss, one that teleports in the dungeon and the players need to find and hit the boss within a time limit.
  • Options
    herakleiaherakleia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    As a long time City of Heroes player, I have heartily enjoyed all of the group instances I've seen already. (level 28 currently). All of the group dungeons have been highly enjoyable zergfests. Nothing required 'explanation'. No one suggested resorting to Ventrilo or Teamspeak.

Please make the whole rest of the game play like this all the way to the endgame and through it too.
  • Options
    nvmbanelingsnvmbanelings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    herakleia wrote: »
    As a long time City of Heroes player, I have heartily enjoyed all of the group instances I've seen already. (level 28 currently). All of the group dungeons have been highly enjoyable zergfests. Nothing required 'explanation'. No one suggested resorting to Ventrilo or Teamspeak.

Please make the whole rest of the game play like this all the way to the endgame and through it too.

are you serious?

**** no.

i don't want them to make the fights end-game WoW raid complicated, but, look at WoW dungeons. none of those fights are complicated in the least and i can't think of one off the top of my head that involves swarms upon swarms of adds.

all the 5-man content in WoW is self-explanatory. i know people even HATE when WoW is mentioned in a sentence, but, the one thing they do above all else well is PVE content.
  • Options
    fearthemajorfearthemajor Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well they get to be just plain annoying spamming knock backs and knock downs Ad nauseam. it would be great if we could see some more varied fights.

Actually I am begging you Cryptic, for the love of god please enough of the knock backs!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    clannamuir wrote: »
    And yet, if Cryptic did change the boss fights, players would scream about that.

My suggestion for a boss, one that teleports in the dungeon and the players need to find and hit the boss within a time limit.

A suggestion, with a unique idea that doesnt require too much working on a new AI or scripted fights that would get old really quick. Something that could be random...This is somthing I support.
  • Options
    bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    herakleia wrote: »

I agree. It's so nice to play an MMO again without some idiot screeching orders, or trying to keep the "perfect" rotation while jumping electric wires and other junk. "Your DPS dropped 4.2%!" *kick*

Every other MMO out there has ridiculous jumping puzzles and enrage timers etc, play it there if you like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mrchinomrchino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bcvapor wrote: »
    I agree. It's so nice to play an MMO again without some idiot screeching orders, or trying to keep the "perfect" rotation while jumping electric wires and other junk. "Your DPS dropped 4.2%!" *kick*

Every other MMO out there has ridiculous jumping puzzles and enrage timers etc, play it there if you like it.

I agree about they're sometimes requiring too much in terms of perfection for boss fights in other MMOs. However I also very strongly agree that every fight can't just be boss with huge amounts of HP and loads of adds to the point where every dungeon give or take one or two requires the same thing.

OK - so they can't copy other MMOs.. big whoop, they have an imagination, it's what they're paid to do. There's plenty of ways they can make it more interesting by providing some personality to boss fights without making it an incredibly intense elitist jerk fight from another game.

Me and my guildies were talking about this, there's absolutely ZERO confirmation from Cryptic that they're agreeing, understanding, looking to change ANY of the things people have been bringing up. It's their way of saying "we are here for the influx of money and when it dies down we'll bring out an expansion and make more money.." until then they probably won't change this and a LOAD of things that clearly need tweaking before it becomes a highly rated MMO game.

Anyways without this becoming a rant... (any more than it already has).. with repetition comes boredom and it lacks imagination. Games today demand more to gain the respect of the gaming community.
  • Options
    vestige321vestige321 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I think bosses should summons bosses instead of adds. That would be interesting...
  • Options
    bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I certainly agree that every boss fight being a "weak mob with a zillion HP with waves of adds" is not very exciting, I prefer that to line-dancing, clicking glowies doing your taxes and keeping a tank alive all at the same time as some games start to feel.

A middle ground would be nice. TBH, I think the Arch Villain fights in CoX were perfectly tuned. They had the CC on bosses down to a science, and it was fun. If anything, they should remove some adds, and buff the remaining maybe.

I feel like if agro was corrected, these dungeons wouldn't be so bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    teldarateldara Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    3ud4e5.jpg
  • Options
    kelanatorkelanator Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bcvapor wrote: »
    I feel like if agro was corrected, these dungeons wouldn't be so bad.
    Yup that would go a long ways to helping the situation, the aggro is broke, plain and simple to anyone who is a tank or cleric.
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    environment effects would be nice like using a group to bring a wall down on a boss to hit him for a fair chunk of damage and whilst trying that you could have some adds come to make it difficult to achieve if necasary just really need more tactics in the boss fights and an ocastional buff to the players would hurt say if a whole team got wiped several times to give people a chance
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    yukishiro3yukishiro3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    I know: tokens in the Zen store that when used kill all the adds currently spawned! That's the ticket!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    'Aggro Magnet' - 1000 Zen, increases aggro generated from abilities by 300%. Lasts 3600 Sec. Persists through death.
    'Add Repel-ant' - 1000 Zen, reduces aggro generated from abilities by 300%. Lasts 3600 Sec. Persists through death.

The Persist through death might be very generous. Knowing PWE, it would last 360 sec...
  • Options
    nahimengnahimeng Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's an Idea...

Lets have a boss that's stationary with 3 buff zones. Lets color these zones Red, White and Blue (murrica colors). White zone is for 1 player only(Tank), and it will be in front of the boss. If more than 1 player are in that white zone they will receive high amount of damage and 1 player has be in that zone at all time or boss will go berserk mode. Red/Blue zones are for the Healers and DPS. Lets have Red zone be magic defense, meaning if the boss changes into his spell form everyone has to jump into that zone before he cast his spells, if the players who are not in that zone he/she will receive high amount of damage. Players will also receive damage while in the zones, but it won't be a astronomical. Blue zone will be for physical damage. This is when he summons his mobs (we all know cryptic loves their waves of mobs), player who are not in this zone will also receive high amount of damage from these mobs.

Just a small idea i had while reading this thread. You guys fill in the rest!
  • Options
    mrchinomrchino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bwuahahaha. Cryptic, because you have refused to reply or respond to these queries, you have already started to become a joke. Answer your gaming community who put time and effort into playing your game, not to mention money.