test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The game seems awfully easy.

theodraxtheodrax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
At least at low lvls. My highest character is a 24 cleric, and I'm yet to die. I don't feel like I've ever even been in major danger of death. I've quested, run skirmishes, and the first instance several times. I generally play paired with my wife's rogue character, and neither one of us has fallen in battle once.

I'm all for keeping the game accessible, but it seem like there's very little risk at all. Have I just gotten lucky, because I don't think it's raw skill? I'm not actually all that great a player.
Post edited by theodrax on

Comments

• Options
    bel1eveeebel1eveee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    come back after 10 levels and mad dragon lair
  • Options
    infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bel1eveee wrote: »

deeees mon
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • Options
    steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The game itself tends to be either ridiculously easy or ridiculously hard, depending on whom you ask. For the most part it's because of the avoidance of standard cooldown-focused MMO combat in favor of a more active style which requires greater player skill, mainly in the form of reaction time.

For my part? The first MMO I design from the ground up will be in the same combat style as Neverwinter. Very aggressive and engaging.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • Options
    jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I'll agree with this...the game gets really hard later on, especially for a cleric. Your in for a long tough road ahead.
  • Options
    nymesis92nymesis92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    LOL you serious? Not even half way through the game and says this...wow.

Let's all use our thinking caps here and gather our thoughts together and see if we can determine which part of the game would be easier or harder. Early levels or later levels?

Think before posting...will save you a lot of embarrassment.

Edit : Read your post all the way through.....the reason you aren't having any trouble is because your questing with a Rogue, Early level Rogues kill EVERYTHING in a blink of an eye.
  • Options
    dominatetricksdominatetricks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you make it to 60 and start doing epics you will change your toon/tune ;)
  • Options
    solresolsolresol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just remember when you see a Foundry warning, stating Solo is hard once in 20's. Believe it

I got severely spanked last night in one as I guffawed with my 26 GF with Cleric Companion. I needed intravenous healing pots and couldn't get through it. The author was not kidding! I did the same one in my teens no issues.

If I could just remember the name of it now...
  • Options
    clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    theodrax wrote: »
    At least at low lvls. My highest character is a 24 cleric, and I'm yet to die. I don't feel like I've ever even been in major danger of death. I've quested, run skirmishes, and the first instance several times. I generally play paired with my wife's rogue character, and neither one of us has fallen in battle once.

I'm all for keeping the game accessible, but it seem like there's very little risk at all. Have I just gotten lucky, because I don't think it's raw skill? I'm not actually all that great a player.

Difficulty depends on which class you play, if you solo and if you play with companions. I solo a TR, with a Man-at-arms companion. Up to about level 35, my companion could tank just about everything. Now, at level 57 One hit from the bigger mobs and he's down. It's much more challenging to solo the quests.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I stopped taking posts like this seriously ever since Blizzard started calling out people who claimed something was too easy.

MOD: "Ummm...I'm looking at your account and it appears you never been to X dungeon, so how can you claim it's easy?"

Also just because it's too easy for you doesn't mean it's too easy period.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Once you hit about 30-40, the difficulty ramps up to almost stupid levels. Every boss consists of a caster with warrior defenses, that spams AOEs and perpetually summons larger and large clusters of mobs.

Most world mobs pulls are about the same.

The game is either really easy or really hard, and never seems to hit a happy medium.
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Past level 30, it may get awfully frustrating especially if you are not a solo class like the Trickster Rogue. The only zone you might be able to find easy after those levels would be Rothe Valley.

But, Chasm, Mt. Hotenow, I'm pretty sure you'll be trying to find a party as a cleric. :)
  • Options
    toyeverdaletoyeverdale Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    So far, as a GWF I am doing fine. I didn't min max, and I am liking the change in difficulty in Helms Hold. I could see it getting rough there if I mismanage the mobs. but so far, everything dies to me. I died once early on getting used tot he game and a few times from disconnects, but no other time. I am fine if it gets harder, but I like the difficulty so far.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So far, as a GWF I am doing fine. I didn't min max, and I am liking the change in difficulty in Helms Hold. I could see it getting rough there if I mismanage the mobs. but so far, everything dies to me. I died once early on getting used tot he game and a few times from disconnects, but no other time. I am fine if it gets harder, but I like the difficulty so far.

Helms old is fairly early game as of yet....wait till right after that. It gets really nasty. Also depends on if you did any dungeons yet. Mad Dragona and Grey Wolves should be around the helms hold level.
  • Options
    orangerascalorangerascal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would probably gain a few more levels before calling the content easy.
  • Options
    nismunismu Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    It gets harder but nothing little tactical adjustmenting wouldn't handle.
  • Options
    lordquncagelordquncage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What everyones stating is true, above level 30 it becomes harder, and especially in the dungeons to come. I have yet to complete Lair of the Mad Dragon.
  • Options
    lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Haha, yeah I was unexpectedly surprised how much the game's difficulty jumped all of a sudden.

Maybe we should have better difficulty progression other than easy-easy-easy-ZOMGWTHJUSTHAPPENED-RageQuit.

My group fell apart multiple times before we were able to clear that dungeon lol.
  • Options
    wartimeraiderwartimeraider Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Did lair of mad dragon.. Not that bad, leave 2 people on fulltime add defense.

However if you want problems.. Try Den of the Grey Wolf with random people.. God thats a pain. The boss just keeps healing and summoning more wolves till eventually there will be 50 wolves on everyone XD
    timeraiderlogo2smaller.gif

Elf Control Wizard - Dragon
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    clannamuir wrote: »
    Difficulty depends on which class you play, if you solo and if you play with companions. I solo a TR, with a Man-at-arms companion. Up to about level 35, my companion could tank just about everything. Now, at level 57 One hit from the bigger mobs and he's down. It's much more challenging to solo the quests.

That would be because at the moment (without tomes) your companion cannot go over lvl 15, that is the equivalent of a lvl 30 player. Lvl 57 mobs should kill him quite quickly, I'd imagine
  • Options
    thehadrielthehadriel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lair of the Mad Dragon is the easy part. Wait until you get to level 40....
  • Options
    adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a rogue i was effectively able to solo til lvl 57. That being said If I had not run low on gold to keep me with plenty of the healing pots I could have soloed til 60.

There was nothing even remotely challenging enough to warrant a fear repsonse in my game.

The game is rather easy in regards to soloing the storyline as a rogue. As a Tank I have have had little issues as of yet (lvl 46).

As a cleric I am yet to feel the sting of diffuclty (lvl 49)

Not yet tried a wizard or a great weapons tank

As to diffuculties in Queu's content or group content mostlly that is due to PUGS and lack of experience with each other.

The dragon is cake...it is just long and boring..the DRAGON never changes tactics.....it boils down to the basics of the game with bosses.....Fight them for a bit...kill theoir adds....fight them some more...they spawn more adds...kill those...yawn.

I would pay real money for some darn variety in the tactics needed to slay me some bosses.
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • Options
    gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Level 42 as a Cleric. Only died once and that was because the server went down two days ago while fighting one of those demon shocktroopers. If it wasn't for that he wouldn't have come close to killing me. For those that talk about casters and big aoes.. they're probably the easiest opponents to kill. Just step out/dodge away from the red circles. They summon minions? A divine powered aoe instantly drops the entire pack. Warrior opponents? The only damaging attacks they make are these big slow windups that give you plenty of time to get out of the way.

You shouldn't be struggling solo.
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The hard part about dungeons is getting a team together that actually have a brain between them.

Seriously. A group of even halfway lucid players shouldn't have trouble in any of the fights. That's true in any MMO, of course, but in a game with 8 abilities on your bar it becomes pretty obvious pretty fast.

The only time's a dungeon fight seems hard are when your team mates aren't team mates, just people that happen to be in the same dungeon instance as you.

I blame the remarkably easy leveling and the dungeon queue for this. People try a dungeon thinking it'll be just like solo'ing, then are shocked to discover they actually need to work together. That, or they just invite someone to the team that's ten levels or more above the dungeon to steam roll it. I've seen that happening more and more often the higher level I get, actually. At level 60 i'll at least be able to know that it's only level 60 people, which might make it more of a challenge. Hopefully.

Then again, my GWF is only level 43. The 'boss' fights at the end of a story chain are tough when you run out of healing potions. Then you remember to buy some more, and go beat the boss. It's been that easy up until 43, hopefully it changes post 45.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    gaerolth wrote: »
    Level 42 as a Cleric. Only died once and that was because the server went down two days ago while fighting one of those demon shocktroopers. If it wasn't for that he wouldn't have come close to killing me. For those that talk about casters and big aoes.. they're probably the easiest opponents to kill. Just step out/dodge away from the red circles. They summon minions? A divine powered aoe instantly drops the entire pack. Warrior opponents? The only damaging attacks they make are these big slow windups that give you plenty of time to get out of the way.

You shouldn't be struggling solo.

the instant killing of mobs only applies to world mobs, not dungeons mobs, who usually have 3-4 times the health of the world mobs. I have yet to see anyone one hit a mob in a dungeon, except when we had a level 52 rogue running a level 20 dungeon...
  • Options
    gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jedizalm wrote: »
    the instant killing of mobs only applies to world mobs, not dungeons mobs, who usually have 3-4 times the health of the world mobs. I have yet to see anyone one hit a mob in a dungeon, except when we had a level 52 rogue running a level 20 dungeon...

I was talking about the solo aspect as some people here are saying that higher levels = Harder. The dungeons aren't really difficult either. The only trick is to have half competent people. Trust me, there's many mmo's out there with much harder dungeons. That being said, I'm not complaining. I don't play hardcore mmos as much as I've used to. I like the more casual feel to this one.
  • Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    The hard part about dungeons is getting a team together that actually have a brain between them.

So, you are saying the only hard thing about the dungeons is getting a group together that is coordinated, knowledgeable, and skilled enough to easily defeat the dungeon.

Ok.

If it was easy anyone could do it.

It clearly is not easy.
  • Options
    bropinebropine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nymesis92 wrote: »

Let's all use our thinking caps here and gather our thoughts together and see if we can determine which part of the game would be easier or harder. Early levels or later levels?

Edit : Read your post all the way through.....the reason you aren't having any trouble is because your questing with a Rogue, Early level Rogues kill EVERYTHING in a blink of an eye.

OMG!!! You are so right! The OP is such an idiot! And I bet he feels soooooooooo embarrased! The great condescending "Forum Axxhole" said it, so it must be so! And in yellow font, too. :cool:
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You know the state of the dungeon finder when after one wipe everyone in the group complains that they're out of injury kits and need to wait by the fire for six minutes.

I mean really, you entered a level 40+ dungeon without ten injury kits at least and were playing the whole time with a minor injury? What are you spending your money on? You didn't mention this before we got to the end boss? Ugh. No accounting for learning curves in new games though. I've leveled so fast I haven't been able to get in more than two runs at any dungeon before I can't queue for it anymore, so maybe that's the reason. By the time you know the dungeon, you're out of it and into the next one.

EDIT to Xhrit:

No, the 'difficulty' is finding team mates that aren't ten years old or video game illiterate. If it was easy enough for 'anyone' to beat it, it would be Tetris with all long blocks.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    mikehamikeha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nymesis92 wrote: »

Think the mental level of this poster is reletivly low, the guy asked about further levels to get a general feel for what to expect in the game, and your post about rogues killing everything shows your complete lack of knowledge in the game. Further more insulting people over the internet shows that you lack any kind of courage what so ever please provide actual input instead of yellow lettered nonsense and by the way congrats on being able to change font color i am so unimpressed
  • Options
    cetra07cetra07 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

What to do u expect? Dark Soul online?? Lvl24 and u want to die already? Dont worry you have plenty of chance to pull yr hair out starting at Mad dragon.