Install Arc
Options

The game seems awfully easy.

2»

Comments

• Options
    vectordeckvectordeck Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it depends on the class you use. I've tinkered with both Guardian Fighter, Trickster Rogue, and Great Weapon Fighter the most. To put this simply, playing a Trickster Rogue seems to put the game on easy mode. Then again, maybe it's just I've played with it the most and have learned to use it effectively. Guardian Fighter is pretty difficult to use in my opinion. I could see how the game would be much harder if you're playing it.

Even still... playing the Trickster Rogue has been pretty much like walking down easy street for me. I had more of a challenge in some of the Foundry Quests than I have with anything in Vanilla so far.
  • Options
    fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    theodrax wrote: »
    At least at low lvls. My highest character is a 24 cleric, and I'm yet to die. I don't feel like I've ever even been in major danger of death. I've quested, run skirmishes, and the first instance several times. I generally play paired with my wife's rogue character, and neither one of us has fallen in battle once.

I'm all for keeping the game accessible, but it seem like there's very little risk at all. Have I just gotten lucky, because I don't think it's raw skill? I'm not actually all that great a player.

The first and second instances are fairly easy. Doubt anyone dies in them unless they simply aren't paying attention. Level 30+ is where the group content gets harder. Skirmishes go up in relative difficulty. Dungeons can become an absolute nightmare least if you're trying to pug them.

There is a fairly good chance you're going to end up eating these words later on as others have pointed out least in relation to group content. Solo content is pretty easy across the board although people's experience can vary depending on the class they play I suppose. I find the solo content rather easy but I play a CW. Not sure I would have the same sentiment if I played a Guardian or GWF. Solo questing shouldn't be difficult as hell anyways due to varying classes and skill levels of players.
  • Options
    majeurevismajeurevis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've really just played my CW (54 right now) after the open beta release, and I have to agree that it's just too easy. I spank everything and even use a wizard companion so I just pot. I do take a lot of damage, but I've died maybe 20 times total from 1-54. I do have to agree that Mad Dragon is tough (well, the boss is. The dungeon was cake.) and that the mid 20s - mid 30's is pretty hard in comparison, but it's still too easy. I'm seeing achievements for elite dungeons, which I assume is for level 60s? Why aren't there difficulty levels for each dungeon that the party can set to get more/less experience? It'd solve everyone's problems, I think. Also, I started doing higher-level quests (54-55 mobs at level 50) with really no problem except that I ran out of quests because I was too low level. Difficulty-wise, though, was too easy.
    Artificer.jpg

Member of the Bring Gith and Artificers to Neverwinter Party.
  • Options
    flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At 34th level, all the solo content I've done has been relatively easy, with a few challenging fights. But Lair Of the Mad Dragon is no joke, & I suspect the OP will change his tune there.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well as a tank i fount the solo quest fairly easy till Mad Dragon, enjoyable till hotenow, and challenging till endgame... the party dungeons... ahem... if you dont have a good group can become excruciating and ridiculouslty impossible... and FFS! make taunting actually work! im a tank... i'm supposed to tank!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    majeurevis wrote: »
    I've really just played my CW (54 right now) after the open beta release, and I have to agree that it's just too easy. I spank everything and even use a wizard companion so I just pot. I do take a lot of damage, but I've died maybe 20 times total from 1-54. I do have to agree that Mad Dragon is tough (well, the boss is. The dungeon was cake.) and that the mid 20s - mid 30's is pretty hard in comparison, but it's still too easy. I'm seeing achievements for elite dungeons, which I assume is for level 60s? Why aren't there difficulty levels for each dungeon that the party can set to get more/less experience? It'd solve everyone's problems, I think. Also, I started doing higher-level quests (54-55 mobs at level 50) with really no problem except that I ran out of quests because I was too low level. Difficulty-wise, though, was too easy.

Eh...I think some of the later group content can be pretty tough as well. Those freaking shadow wolves in the Wolf Den are nasty as hell combined with the splat aoes if you aren't careful and people don't work together to take them out and avoid them. Like I said this all comes from experiencing content in pugs though. I'm not going to sit here and say this game takes a vast amount of skill but it has its difficulty. Same as with all mmos of this era.

Far as difficulty levels? Maybe for premades if they go to the entrance but you already have some balking about queue times and group compositions. That would only make those complaints' rage meter break off the scale.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    frarii wrote: »
    Well as a tank i fount the solo quest fairly easy till Mad Dragon, enjoyable till hotenow, and challenging till endgame... the party dungeons... ahem... if you dont have a good group can become excruciating and ridiculouslty impossible... and FFS! make taunting actually work! im a tank... i'm supposed to tank!

Silly Guardian...you didn't get the memo? Clerics are the tank of Neverwinter XD

Christ sometimes I feel like I am with these mobs. Although better on me than the cleric. Long as I can stay alive.
  • Options
    rick4003rick4003 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is a huge bump in difficulty in level 30's areas.
  • Options
    silver44swordsilver44sword Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All depends on whether you play solo or in a party. Did some foundry quests solo and got burned....it also depends on your playstyle too and whether you care or not. For the most part this game is easy, especially with certain classes and outfitted with effective equipment.
  • Options
    majeurevismajeurevis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fongador wrote: »
    Eh...I think some of the later group content can be pretty tough as well. Those freaking shadow wolves in the Wolf Den are nasty as hell combined with the splat aoes if you aren't careful and people don't work together to take them out and avoid them. Like I said this all comes from experiencing content in pugs though. I'm not going to sit here and say this game takes a vast amount of skill but it has its difficulty. Same as with all mmos of this era.

Far as difficulty levels? Maybe for premades if they go to the entrance but you already have some balking about queue times and group compositions. That would only make those complaints' rage meter break off the scale.

Ah yeah, I forgot about the shadow wolves. That was tough. I was just expecting... MORE. It seemed like one minute I was level 40 and the next 55! Of course, I just spent a full day playing, but still.

That's a very reasonable solution, or the queue takes you to the entrance instead of inside, where the team leader can set the difficulty level (or a team vote).
    Artificer.jpg

• Options
    karzak851karzak851 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is this you peoples first f2p mmo?
    This is common practice in f2p mmos. Its super easy in the beginning so they hook the players and then BAM it gets hard so that they drive you to spend money in the store to make it easier.
  • Options
    yarknarfyarknarf Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought the same thing.

I'm 50 now on my highest level and it gets much harder.

I like the fact that, for me at least soloing, defense moves are what win the day.

I find I do much better soloing these boss fights with all the respawn trash to slow down and dodge a lot and be careful.

So yeah, it get's tougher.

The frost doggie (Mitehound...Butthound? something like that) was the first boss that killed me multiple times before I figured out how to work him.

But you are right, until 30 it's just cruise control with the top down.
  • Options
    kharnzorkharnzor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the only real prob. i have is that it is way way way too easy to lvl. Cutting all xp by half would be a good start.
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hmm I'm the complete opposite, I'm finding the game incredibly hard (in fact I just made a thread about it before I saw yours).

I'm playing a Guardian Fighter solo, so that might have something to do with it. By all accounts the GF is one of the hardest classes to play solo (sigh* now they tell me!).

Anyway, you say that you and your wife are playing a Cleric and a Rogue, which are supposed to be the two best classes in the game. So maybe, just for fun, you could try rolling a Guardian Fighter and a Great Weapon Fighter just to liven things up a bit and add some challenge.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    sadmummysadmummy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It gets harder. I'm 50 and have to drink healing potions each pull in foundry quests.

Agree about the too easy to level. They should decrease regular quest xp, not killing xp tho
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    klixan wrote: »
    Hmm I'm the complete opposite, I'm finding the game incredibly hard (in fact I just made a thread about it before I saw yours).

I'm playing a Guardian Fighter solo, so that might have something to do with it. By all accounts the GF is one of the hardest classes to play solo (sigh* now they tell me!).

Anyway, you say that you and your wife are playing a Cleric and a Rogue, which are supposed to be the two best classes in the game. So maybe, just for fun, you could try rolling a Guardian Fighter and a Great Weapon Fighter just to liven things up a bit and add some challenge.

Best of luck.

I play a GF with a cleric companion and not having big problems, quite the opposite. It can be slow at times, when you have mobs with huge HP pools (because of lower DPS than say TR or CW) but it's very easy to play (while I have quite a few problems with my GWF).
    It helps that I am going for a DPS build as I have no interest in running dungeons outside of small group content.
    In very complicated fights I buckle down in guard and whittle down the mobs till I have enough 'charge' to use my dailies and clean up. But if you want a class that can solo almost to the top and races through the first 20-30 levels, definitely go for TR
  • Options
    kyouapple24kyouapple24 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you are a cleric, you heal yourself

go play a... GWF. then try again
  • Options
    theodraxtheodrax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the input all, both the constructive and the...not so. I'll just enjoy the easy going for now and see how it ramps up when it tops thirty. On the plus side I'll pretty much always have my wife's character with me. We tend to duo almost exclusively. I know it seems funny complaining about not dying. I'm just comparing it to previous MMO's I've played where I've usually at least had a few deaths, often due to my own stupidity, by the time I've hit lvl 20.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm trying an Elf GWF who's currently level 7, and I have to agree that it seems harder. I think this character will be a lot more enjoyable to play since the difficulty increase. Maybe they did that on purpose, though, since I've read several reports of the GWF being super-powerful end-game? I've had a few in my party that just annihilated everyone in DPS.

Another thing is that I went at level 5 to fight the orcs (level 10 quests) and got my party to share them with me. I assumed that this would be a faster way to level up, but I was wrong. I ended up receving around half the XP I would have received from doing Blacklake missions. I was getting 140 XP for the "Kill 25 Orcs" and "Rescue 5 soldiers" quests, when I got 320 XP for doing the "collect 3 pieces of evidence" and "recover 5 stolen goods" quests. This really doesn't seem fair. I mean, it does keep you from power leveling (probably the whole reason) but I think the XP should at least be equal in case you want to level.
    Artificer.jpg

• Options
    trocan678trocan678 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 65
    edited May 2013
    solresol wrote: »
    Just remember when you see a Foundry warning, stating Solo is hard once in 20's. Believe it

I got severely spanked last night in one as I guffawed with my 26 GF with Cleric Companion. I needed intravenous healing pots and couldn't get through it. The author was not kidding! I did the same one in my teens no issues.

If I could just remember the name of it now...

I can't really count a foundry quest in the same category as the game's PVE quests. While I like the idea and the foundry seems neat, it also seems like a way (just like in STO) for the devs to keep people occupied while they work on official content. Now, I've never actually made a foundry mission, but I have played them. Anyone could put 30 beholders in a room and call it "difficult". Not saying your quest did, but that I think the game may be lacking difficulty if the first rough half of the game is a walkthrough. Most people lose interest within the first ten levels if they're not engaged, so 25 is plenty enough to expect some challenge.