test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GWF what it is, and how i feel should have been...

lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT DAMAGE, DPS, OR ANYTHING RELATED TO THE CLASSES PREFORMACNE! please please! stay on topic!

First let me get this out of the way! is not a complaint about the class balance, damage or anything is specifically focusing on the GWF and way it looks and feels, vs what you typically expect of two handed fighter classes. Now that is out of the way lets continue with the actual discussion!

Alright so as i have leveled up my GWF i am slowly starting to realize something about it, no not that its a tank, or that it a hybrid. I specifically noticing... that entire focus of the class seems to be on ultra high speed fast attacks. Its whole focus is on dealing as many blows as possible, even determination BOOSTS your attack speed up to super high levels, allowing you to get a large number of basic attacks in or fire off your encounters with a boost of damage.

Why does that stand out to me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98-YsgHQOQQ

This is the beserker of tera online, why i am showing this is because i want you to pay close attention to the " weight " behind each swing. How he has a recovery time do to his " massive " weapon. This is something i feel the GWF is just lacking entirely. Every swing is so fast, and recovery time is nearly instant, everything about the class focuses on high speed, sustained damage attacks. Getting as many blows in as you can.

This just seems so counter to what one would expect when they pick up a great weapon fighter. You expect slow, grueling attack swings, that hit with amazing force. You expect low mobility, with hard hitting attacks. You expect your great weapon fighter to be just that! a heavy tank of a class that relies on brute force to get the job done! Way this class plays is far closer to a dual weapon fighter, like the fury warrior of WoW, the warrior of Tera, ect ect ect. It doesnt feel or play like a real great weapon fighter at all...

It sort of slowly killing this class for me... i rolled it expecting to have this massive bruiser of a character and, its just not what it is... does this concern anyone else? what are your guys thoughts on the way the class feels vs what we normally get with these classes.
Post edited by lokaidraxmartis on

Comments

• Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pretty well made point that about sums up my own dissatisfaction with Neverwinter's GWF. Perhaps this is the way a DnD Great weapon fighter works ? Im not familiar with the dnd ways but as a fan of the 2h weapon/heavy armor fighter in any game, I expect power and I dont see it here. Back in time when CoX was still active there was this primary attack skill tree called super strength - it was a tank/brute specialty, slow but powerful. The dmg was not too high but it had great knockdown/knockback mechanics built in that made it fun and made your toon survivable even tho you were dealing less dmg and killing slower than others. Perhaps if Neverwinter's GWF could send his foes flying back a bit or knock 'em down regularly while fighting, it would serve as "fix" for the class. As it is now we basically knock foes only when their HP bar reaches 0 and it serves no purspose besides looking cool. Even if the dps remains as it is now the GFW would feel much better if such a form of control over the battle was implemented and its not far fetched either - I mean it makes sense for a massive weapon to knock you away if not sever you in two :)
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    jourmandirjourmandir Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So basically you want to play monster hunter?

K
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jourmandir wrote: »
    So basically you want to play monster hunter?

K

Ill quote Eminem on this one - "if you aint got nothing nice to say then don't say nothing "
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    aaeezzeeaaeezzee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I personally picked up the class under the assumption we would be a durable bruiser capable of unloading ungodly amounts of damage into both groups and single targets, while maintaining a few vital emergency defensive CDs. Behind TRs on single targets but ideal for multi-target situations(let's be honest.. There aren't many single target bosses in the current end game).

I got what I came for.

At max level, in close to ideal gear, I see very few ways the devs could fulfill my expectations any further.

And we have quite a few skills in our kit to knock down/knock back/stun/immobilize/snare. A quick browse through the powers tab would show you that.

I realize this got away from the original post, where your complaint was more focused on aesthetics, but I wanted to share my expectations as well :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    emilemo wrote: »
    Pretty well made point that about sums up my own dissatisfaction with Neverwinter's GWF. Perhaps this is the way a DnD Great weapon fighter works ? Im not familiar with the dnd ways but as a fan of the 2h weapon/heavy armor fighter in any game, I expect power and I dont see it here. Back in time when CoX was still active there was this primary attack skill tree called super strength - it was a tank/brute specialty, slow but powerful. The dmg was not too high but it had great knockdown/knockback mechanics built in that made it fun and made your toon survivable even tho you were dealing less dmg and killing slower than others. Perhaps if Neverwinter's GWF could send his foes flying back a bit or knock 'em down regularly while fighting, it would serve as "fix" for the class. As it is now we basically knock foes only when their HP bar reaches 0 and it serves no purspose besides looking cool. Even if the dps remains as it is now the GFW would feel much better if such a form of control over the battle was implemented and its not far fetched either - I mean it makes sense for a massive weapon to knock you away if not sever you in two :)

GWF in D&D actually high damage single target damage dealers... great sword deals 2d6 damage great axe 1d12, and add your strength mode +1/2 (so a 4 would be a 6). Basically a GWF hits almost twice as hard as GF and generally harder then almost anyone else in the game for quite a while. So as far as D&D goes this is sort of a step away from them as well.
    aaeezzee wrote: »
    I personally picked up the class under the assumption we would be a durable bruiser capable of unloading ungodly amounts of damage into both groups and single targets, while maintaining a few vital emergency defensive CDs. Behind TRs on single targets but ideal for multi-target situations(let's be honest.. There aren't many single target bosses in the current end game).

I got what I came for.

At max level, in close to ideal gear, I see very few ways the devs could fulfill my expectations any further.

And we have quite a few skills in our kit to knock down/knock back/stun/immobilize/snare. A quick browse through the powers tab would show you that.

I realize this got away from the original post, where your complaint was more focused on aesthetics, but I wanted to share my expectations as well :)

Again i was never talking about damage, or effective combat...we are sheerly talking about the look and feel of the class...which is not like any other great weapon fighting class in most games. This class is far closer to a two weapon fighter, someone that dual wields rather then a great sword.
  • Options
    daedracdaedrac Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Yea I was more expecting slower, extremely heavy hitting attacks but those aren't an issue to me as much as I was expecting a true D&D experience and having a 2H fighter wearing heavy armor.. but the new version of D&D they modeled after completely removes any and all amazing aspects of the table-top. They should have stopped ****ing with it after 3.5
  • Options
    jaer44jaer44 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Since you showed Tera, think of the GWF as more like a Slayer, Huge sword, faster attack speed and more mobile than a zerk.
  • Options
    forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if your not 60 and in t2 dont talk
  • Options
    swedishtrexswedishtrex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013

yes because the game is only about being lvl 60 after 2 weeks and in second tier epic armor...oh wait stfu with this reasoning.
  • Options
    tobascodagamatobascodagama Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daedrac wrote: »
    Yea I was more expecting slower, extremely heavy hitting attacks but those aren't an issue to me as much as I was expecting a true D&D experience and having a 2H fighter wearing heavy armor.. but the new version of D&D they modeled after completely removes any and all amazing aspects of the table-top. They should have stopped ****ing with it after 3.5

Don't blame this on 4e. Neverwinter follows 4e very loosely. Mostly, it just copied names of things and invented totally new mechanics around those names.
  • Options
    talvos38talvos38 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    4E still sucks imho.
  • Options
    forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes because the game is only about being lvl 60 after 2 weeks and in second tier epic armor...oh wait stfu with this reasoning.

the game is what it wants to be

leveling is leveling

you know that champion in dota that requires gear to do well? or the one that requires levels? Or the one that everyone says is trash but a couple of players dominate - hard with? Know that champion that is incredibly hard to play but does well end game

wake the **** up the internet is not linear much unlike what you seem to want. Mmorpgs are an extension of internet lifestyle and cater to reality. they are not a dumbed down version of life for people that cant hack it irl to get into.
  • Options
    ryftlordryftlord Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I seem to be in the minority on this, but I find the GWF to be a very good tank. Given, I only play PvE, but I have good survivability and can take the aggro off the clerics/rogues in the 5 man dungeons, which is all I really care about.
    Ja'kreen - "The Laughing Vulcan"
    Mirror Ja'kreen
    X'Tem
    Active RPer
  • Options
    yamface9yamface9 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98-YsgHQOQQ

This is the beserker of tera online, why i am showing this is because i want you to pay close attention to the " weight " behind each swing. How he has a recovery time do to his " massive " weapon. This is something i feel the GWF is just lacking entirely. Every swing is so fast, and recovery time is nearly instant, everything about the class focuses on high speed, sustained damage attacks. Getting as many blows in as you can.

This just seems so counter to what one would expect when they pick up a great weapon fighter. You expect slow, grueling attack swings, that hit with amazing force. You expect low mobility, with hard hitting attacks. You expect your great weapon fighter to be just that! a heavy tank of a class that relies on brute force to get the job done! Way this class plays is far closer to a dual weapon fighter, like the fury warrior of WoW, the warrior of Tera, ect ect ect. It doesnt feel or play like a real great weapon fighter at all...

It sort of slowly killing this class for me... i rolled it expecting to have this massive bruiser of a character and, its just not what it is... does this concern anyone else? what are your guys thoughts on the way the class feels vs what we normally get with these classes.

Just pointing this out here that tera berserkers are the lowest dps class in the game... slayers hit for barely less than zerker nukes except they swing for 3x faster. Anyways I'm not sure why you think classes like this have to be sluggish and hard hitting. The first impression that came to mind when I heard of a gwf or tera's zerker was some super unstoppable force that just pounds on you relentlessly, instead what I got in tera was a joke class that got kicked on sight for just being a zerker, but for gwf in this game fits that kind of superman description probably the best out of anything I've seen lately.
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yamface9 wrote: »
    Just pointing this out here that tera berserkers are the lowest dps class in the game... slayers hit for barely less than zerker nukes except they swing for 3x faster. Anyways I'm not sure why you think classes like this have to be sluggish and hard hitting. The first impression that came to mind when I heard of a gwf or tera's zerker was some super unstoppable force that just pounds on you relentlessly, instead what I got in tera was a joke class that got kicked on sight for just being a zerker, but for gwf in this game fits that kind of superman description probably the best out of anything I've seen lately.
    Well, kinda. GF also has a daily similar to unstoppable (villain's menace: AoE damage on use, grants massive damage buff and immunity to knockback and controls), but admittedly unstoppable is probably more often available.
  • Options
    haarkon1haarkon1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the game is what it wants to be

leveling is leveling

you know that champion in dota that requires gear to do well? or the one that requires levels? Or the one that everyone says is trash but a couple of players dominate - hard with? Know that champion that is incredibly hard to play but does well end game

wake the **** up the internet is not linear much unlike what you seem to want. Mmorpgs are an extension of internet lifestyle and cater to reality. they are not a dumbed down version of life for people that cant hack it irl to get into.

I have this image of you sitting in a basement with a red bull and microwave burrito while typing out that rant.

As for the OP I agree that the play style isn't what I expected, but I'm still enjoying playing my GWF with my pocket healer/wife. In the end that's what matters to me.
  • Options
    ryftlordryftlord Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    haarkon1 wrote: »
    I have this image of you sitting in a basement with a red bull and microwave burrito while typing out that rant.

As for the OP I agree that the play style isn't what I expected, but I'm still enjoying playing my GWF with my pocket healer/wife. In the end that's what matters to me.

Exactly, I have fun playing the game, which is the whole point of a GAME.
    Ja'kreen - "The Laughing Vulcan"
    Mirror Ja'kreen
    X'Tem
    Active RPer
  • Options
    marc54marc54 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 69
    edited May 2013
    Ill quote Eminem on this one - "if you aint got nothing nice to say then don't say nothing "
    \

My god the world is doomed.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ryftlord wrote: »
    Exactly, I have fun playing the game, which is the whole point of a GAME.

keep saying what you want people live on this 'game'
  • Options
    edited May 2013

or maybe you should read we arent nor were even discussing dps... again this is all feel and look of the class not dps
    yamface9 wrote: »

yes they are, but again you are missing the point of this post... not about damage, or preformance but the feel of the animations, weight behind every swing
    jaer44 wrote: »
    Since you showed Tera, think of the GWF as more like a Slayer, Huge sword, faster attack speed and more mobile than a zerk.

even the slayer has huge weighty swings, when the slayers sword hits the ground you feel it...when he smashes you, stuff falls down, the slayers mobility comes from his movement when he attacks and his dodge skill. His actual attacks are still very heavy... something this class lacks!

Please remember this entire topic is about animations, feel and design of the class NOT its performance! i am well aware it excels at end game! my concern is that it feels like a fury based dual wielding warrior not a great sword swinging <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Animations are pretty good imo.
    For instance, charging Reaping Strike looks awesome, first time I saw it I was like "omg that looks like Conan sneaking on victims before unleashing the pain".
    Avalanche of Steel turns you into the Hulk, Takedown feels like you broke someone's skull, etc.
    Then at level 35ish you get all these ghosts attack, like you're Polnareff from Capcom's Jojo Adventures.

I played and enjoyed Tera, and I'm glad the GWF has its own feeling and animations. I'd be disappointed if it looked like a ripoff straight from another mmo.
  • Options
    jaer44jaer44 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, I won't get into a huge discussion on another game, but after leveling a zerk and slayer to max level etc..etc.. the slayers attack, while still slower than a GWF, is still considerably faster than you may think/remember. I was able to do full combo rotations with no pause in animation (around 1.0 or less atk speed).

Either way, I understand your point, you expected something with a large heavy swing, with larger impact, and that's understandable. But given the combat system that this game has, I don't think it would be a good idea (low HP mobs other than bosses die far too fast).
  • Options
    yamface9yamface9 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes they are, but again you are missing the point of this post... not about damage, or preformance but the feel of the animations, weight behind every swing

even the slayer has huge weighty swings, when the slayers sword hits the ground you feel it...when he smashes you, stuff falls down, the slayers mobility comes from his movement when he attacks and his dodge skill. His actual attacks are still very heavy... something this class lacks!

Slayer swings are not sluggish or weighty in any way lol. Every move has a follow up move that removes the lag animation. Also I -did- include what I thought a gwf looked like in my first post.. and again I'm not sure why you think gwf had a slow + hard hitting behemoth in mind but I always thought the class like that and tera zerkers would be some fast hard hitting tank that is unstoppable. Going berserk for me --> last thing that would come to mind is a slowpoke.
  • Options
    coramac9799coramac9799 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yea... Berserkers compete with Sorcerors for top DPS in Tera. Slayers not so much.

I'm sure it does change like people say, but right now, my GWF (level 16) is a total scrub. I have a GF, TR, and DC I've leveled up all around 12. It's shameful the difference between ease of classes at least at this point in time.
  • Options
    zenraijzenraij Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Broadsword/DA. That is slow and powerful.
  • Options
    daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I love how this is the answer for everything. Guess what I'll be level 60 and in tier 2 and I'll still say the first 59 level were <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for the GWF.

As for the feel of the class, I prefer something faster, it he was slow I'm not sure I would play it. However if he was slow and hit very hard I may.....If you read the description when you pick GWF though it makes it seem like its a fast striking class though....

I don't remember exactly what was said, but it was like you wield a two handed sword and have trained with it to the point where your a master, you forgo the shield because it slows you down...etc etc....
  • Options
    daedracdaedrac Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    daradal wrote: »
    I love how this is the answer for everything. Guess what I'll be level 60 and in tier 2 and I'll still say the first 59 level were <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for the GWF.

As for the feel of the class, I prefer something faster, it he was slow I'm not sure I would play it. However if he was slow and hit very hard I may.....If you read the description when you pick GWF though it makes it seem like its a fast striking class though....

I don't remember exactly what was said, but it was like you wield a two handed sword and have trained with it to the point where your a master, you forgo the shield because it slows you down...etc etc....

First 30-40 levels were easy. But once the content started out-leveling the cleric companion you get shat on because that cleric get's glanced at and dies.
  • Options
    seryiyirisseryiyiris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like the GWF as it is currently. The idea of taking forever to swing a sword, even if it's two-handed, is laughable.

The average weight of a two-handed sword is around 5-6 lbs generally. You don't swing a sword that slowly unless your sword happens to be made out of lead.

The GWF reflects this, which is part of why I love the class. I also love the mobility of it. Don't touch my precious Fighter.
  • Options
    daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daedrac wrote: »
    First 30-40 levels were easy. But once the content started out-leveling the cleric companion you get shat on because that cleric get's glanced at and dies.

Not for me. The first 30 levels have been a grind. After 20 I was confident I could solo without dying, not I'm 34 and its becoming a problem again. Everything seems 2 levels above me, my cleric is becoming more and more useless in healing and Im starting to die again. I died three times doing one of the missions in Helms Hold.....the one that spawns a ton of adds and the boss will teleport to there every you are so you cant even run away...I cant remember the name, but it was annoying....
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    seryiyiris wrote: »
    I like the GWF as it is currently. The idea of taking forever to swing a sword, even if it's two-handed, is laughable.

The average weight of a two-handed sword is around 5-6 lbs generally. You don't swing a sword that slowly unless your sword happens to be made out of lead.

The GWF reflects this, which is part of why I love the class. I also love the mobility of it. Don't touch my precious Fighter.

if your sword is made out of foam maybe

real two handers can weigh up to 90 lbs easily

u dont know what you are talking about