test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GWF what it is, and how i feel should have been...

2»

Comments

• Options
    seryiyirisseryiyiris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if your sword is made out of foam maybe

real two handers can weigh up to 90 lbs easily

u dont know what you are talking about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claymore

The average claymore ran about 140 cm (55 in) in overall length, with a 33 cm (13 in) grip, 107 cm (42 in) blade, and a weight of approximately 5.5 lb (2.5 kg). You're the one who doesn't have a clue what you're talking about.

Again, the only swords you're wielding that are 90 lbs are made of lead, or are helicopter blades.
  • Options
    vaaso189vaaso189 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only fast attack is Sure Strike. Reaping strike is near useless and is the closest thing to what you want, I guess?
    There is of course the Indomitable Strike which is certainly a heavy hit. Many powers like Flourish and Crescendo, even the At-Will Weapon Master's Strike uses projections of yourself.

Is that the GWF being fast or just magic?

Feels like im just rambling but I usually dont make it out of red circles due to the recovery time of the swing. I use Wicked Strike.

Good night.
    He said my story was cool. And he called me bro.
  • Options
    solthusx2solthusx2 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On the subject of how much real life 2-handed swords weighed:

http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html

vaaso189 wrote: »
    The only fast attack is Sure Strike. Reaping strike is near useless and is the closest thing to what you want, I guess?
    There is of course the Indomitable Strike which is certainly a heavy hit. Many powers like Flourish and Crescendo, even the At-Will Weapon Master's Strike uses projections of yourself.

Is that the GWF being fast or just magic?

Feels like im just rambling but I usually dont make it out of red circles due to the recovery time of the swing. I use Wicked Strike.

Good night.

The description of flourish does seem to indicate that the projections are a result of being fast. Also, going by 4e DnD, the GWF is a martial class (no magic); so this looks like a case of Charles Atlas Superpower (Warning: Link to TvTropes, click at your own risk:cool:)
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT DAMAGE, DPS, OR ANYTHING RELATED TO THE CLASSES PREFORMACNE! please please! stay on topic!

First let me get this out of the way! is not a complaint about the class balance, damage or anything is specifically focusing on the GWF and way it looks and feels, vs what you typically expect of two handed fighter classes. Now that is out of the way lets continue with the actual discussion!

Alright so as i have leveled up my GWF i am slowly starting to realize something about it, no not that its a tank, or that it a hybrid. I specifically noticing... that entire focus of the class seems to be on ultra high speed fast attacks. Its whole focus is on dealing as many blows as possible, even determination BOOSTS your attack speed up to super high levels, allowing you to get a large number of basic attacks in or fire off your encounters with a boost of damage.

Why does that stand out to me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98-YsgHQOQQ

This is the beserker of tera online, why i am showing this is because i want you to pay close attention to the " weight " behind each swing. How he has a recovery time do to his " massive " weapon. This is something i feel the GWF is just lacking entirely. Every swing is so fast, and recovery time is nearly instant, everything about the class focuses on high speed, sustained damage attacks. Getting as many blows in as you can.

This just seems so counter to what one would expect when they pick up a great weapon fighter. You expect slow, grueling attack swings, that hit with amazing force. You expect low mobility, with hard hitting attacks. You expect your great weapon fighter to be just that! a heavy tank of a class that relies on brute force to get the job done! Way this class plays is far closer to a dual weapon fighter, like the fury warrior of WoW, the warrior of Tera, ect ect ect. It doesnt feel or play like a real great weapon fighter at all...

It sort of slowly killing this class for me... i rolled it expecting to have this massive bruiser of a character and, its just not what it is... does this concern anyone else? what are your guys thoughts on the way the class feels vs what we normally get with these classes.

No offense but if you enjoy swinging slow then pause between each attack.

FFS I hated Tera's combat but love Neverwinter's and it wasn't until someone mentioned many months ago that thedifference is the speed in attacks. Where Tera's takes 1.25 sec minimum to fire off and Neverwinter's take .5 sec to fire off. to me I'll take NWO's any day of the week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    solthusx2solthusx2 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you look at the animations and descriptions of the GWF's weapon-based powers, only a few look like slow, brute force attacks (Indomitable, Reaping Strike). Heck the swordmaster powers are almost the complete opposite of that, emphasizing speed and technique instead.

The GWF is not designed as the slow swinging brute force attacker; the Barbarian is closer to that archetype, but they aren't exactly slow either.