test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Top Tier is BoE

Comments

• kethronkethron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd rather spend my time playing and having fun while earning Gold/Diamonds then buying the best gear, instead of spamming chat LFG and putting up with all this gear score <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> again :)
  • neyarineyari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are several key components to gear that seem to be BOP for the gearing up.

You can buy some of it, but not all of it. Rings, belts, (hats as far as the few i've found on my control wizard)
    The only ones i've seen for sell in mass are gloves, tops, bottoms, shoes.
  • aetherchargeaethercharge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 359 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jedizalm wrote: »
    If lazy people would rather powerlevel to 60, buy all their gear and be godly, let them....If they could do that in something more PvP oriented, I would be concerned.

There is absolutely no separation between PvE and PvP gear. There isn't even a PvP stat. Even so, that is a small part of the point here - end game gear is end game gear right now, and you can buy anything you want by pumping cash into it. There is absolutely to need to earn items through game play.
  • aetherchargeaethercharge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 359 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    neyari wrote: »
    There are several key components to gear that seem to be BOP for the gearing up.

You can buy some of it, but not all of it. Rings, belts, (hats as far as the few i've found on my control wizard)
    The only ones i've seen for sell in mass are gloves, tops, bottoms, shoes.

I'm not sure what you're looking at, but the end game items in these categories are BoE, including seal purchased gear.
  • jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is absolutely no separation between PvE and PvP gear. There isn't even a PvP stat. Even so, that is a small part of the point here - end game gear is end game gear right now, and you can buy anything you want by pumping cash into it. There is absolutely to need to earn items through game play.

You can either earn your own, or sell stuff you dont need. The problem with the claim that people can buy end game gear is that it has to come from somewhere. The game isnt creating items in the cash shop for you to buy, someone is out there farming for these items. If there was no need to farm the items, then none of these items would exist in the AH. This is of course dependent on the idea that cryptic of PWE isnt creating item and placing them on the AH. But that is speculation and tinfoil hat brigade kind of talk. Same with the AD to buy and sell from them. Now given, HotN member got 2mil, and people get over 24k AD per day, but the point still exists. The AD and the end game Items have to come from somewhere, so there are reasons to go do dungeons and get the gear.
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I find this a bit hypocrite, for a few reasons.

- You blame people for PtW because they're buying gear in the AH that mostly, freebie players are selling.

- This means that the freebies are making a profit out of PtW players, so they gain the revenue they need to "win" by their own.

This ends in everyone being equipped, some grinding a little to get what they want, while the lazy / busy playerbase can get what they want without grinding.

Then everyone's happy.

Also, you can't "buy" AD. You can buy Zen and try to exchange it for AD. And this means that someone who has farmed the AD before must be willing to pay for Zen. Anyone who has been checking the AD exchange rates has noticed how AD has become more and more expensive. Zen has half the value it had before (at launch it was 600 AD per Zen, now it's aroung 300), so you actually need to spend a lot more to get "free gear"...

Oh and I bought gear when I got to level 60, no "PtW", just the AD I farmed as I leveled. Some people may think it's super fun to grind the same dungeon over and over to get Unicorn Seals enough so you can buy new gear and upgrade your GS, but if I can ease the pain a bit by buying in the AH, I'll do it. After all, I enjoy the game in several other aspects: RP for instance, some PvP, questing...
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »

- You blame people for PtW because they're buying gear in the AH that mostly, freebie players are selling.

- This means that the freebies are making a profit out of PtW players, so they gain the revenue they need to "win" by their own.

This ends in everyone being equipped, some grinding a little to get what they want, while the lazy / busy playerbase can get what they want without grinding.

Then everyone's happy.

Also, you can't "buy" AD. You can buy Zen and try to exchange it for AD. And this means that someone who has farmed the AD before must be willing to pay for Zen. Anyone who has been checking the AD exchange rates has noticed how AD has become more and more expensive. Zen has half the value it had before (at launch it was 600 AD per Zen, now it's aroung 300), so you actually need to spend a lot more to get "free gear"...

Oh and I bought gear when I got to level 60, no "PtW", just the AD I farmed as I leveled. Some people may think it's super fun to grind the same dungeon over and over to get Unicorn Seals enough so you can buy new gear and upgrade your GS, but if I can ease the pain a bit by buying in the AH, I'll do it. After all, I enjoy the game in several other aspects: RP for instance, some PvP, questing...

This is pretty much waht I said, only well organized and properly worded and explained. GG
    edited May 2013
    The problem with the claim that people can buy end game gear is that it has to come from somewhere. The game isnt creating items in the cash shop for you to buy, someone is out there farming for these items.

Yes, but for a large portion of the MMO community the entire point is risk vs reward. Anything available on the auction house is, logistically, rather easy to obtain. If you don't have to defeat difficult content in order to obtain the best rewards, there isn't much reason to even attempt it.
    edited May 2013
    Yes, but for a large portion of the MMO community the entire point is risk vs reward. Anything available on the auction house is, logistically, rather easy to obtain. If you don't have to defeat difficult content in order to obtain the best rewards, there isn't much reason to even attempt it.

The that lies with the devs creating either better gear at the end of the hardest content, or making the content harder. The first option seems best, as the second only makes it harder to find more gear when half the populace is already outfitted to be godly. Its not an issue of P2W, its an issue of content difficulty or gearing levels.
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Of course there is...

PvP gear is a start for PvE, as you need to have a good gear to be able to even play in some epic dungeons. It's not the best, but a good start. And sure, you can buy PvP items, but SOMEONE has to actually grind Glory in the first place... If it's not you, it's someone else.

What's the matter if someone else does it for you and you get it without working? That's something called the "service sector" in economy. Do you hunt your own food? Do you grow your vegetables? Or do you purchase them in your local convenience store, that has purchased these items from a provider? This is the same thing.

WoW has the same issues: the difference is that the gold farmers make revenue out of Blizzard's game, while PWE allows for a "legal system" of commerce between currencies. You want to get easy AD? Well, trade your Zen for it. Everybody wins, free players can actually get a chance of purchasing in the Zen store. Most games DON'T HAVE THIS OPTION. In League of Legends, you can't get skins for free - there is no way to earn Riot Points ingame, you can't trade Riot points between players. Just thank the fact that the possibility exists here, so you can play without spending a dime.
    Characters:

edited May 2013

You're severely misusing this term.

- This means that the freebies are making a profit out of PtW players, so they gain the revenue they need to "win" by their own

The terms "PtW" and "win" are yours, not mine. You're injecting your own pre-conceived opinions here.
    Also, you can't "buy" AD.

Yes, you can, and its very easy. What are you talking about?
    Oh and I bought gear when I got to level 60

And you've proven my point directly.
  • remilieveremilieve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    There will always be players who buy gears through using real money. It happens to all kinds of games. You can't stop people who are willing to spend to be slightly better can you?
    Would you sacrifice your past for the future?

Rose - Control Wizard
    Dragon
    edited May 2013
    remilieve wrote: »
    There will always be players who buy gears through using real money. It happens to all kinds of games. You can't stop people who are willing to spend to be slightly better can you?

As per the name of the thread, the point is that the BEST gear is not, in any way, restricted. It is very easy to purchase the very top tier of gear without any in-game effort whatsoever post-60.
  • sadmummysadmummy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The best gear in the game is BoE. Rather than earning the gear, you can purchase anything you like for real money. I would love to hear others' thoughts on this matter.

It breaks the game.
    I'm enjoying it a lot right now. But I'm just leveling. An endgame where the best gear can be bought won't last long since it takes the progression away from the game
    edited May 2013
    You're severely misusing this term.

The terms "PtW" and "win" are yours, not mine. You're injecting your own pre-conceived opinions here.

Yes, you can, and its very easy. What are you talking about?

And you've proven my point directly.

Hypocrisy is a well used term in this argument. The same people who are complaining from "this broken system" are the same who're grinding to sell in the AH. Let's not be blind to the fact. There is a PART of the playerbase that benefits from buying gear, but this means that there is another part who benefits from SELLING it.

BoE and PtW are basically the same thing, it's the same complaint. Icecream of different flavors is still icecream in the end.

You can't "buy" AD in the sense that it hasn't a fixed value, it's something that the playerbase will decide, you can't buy it from Cryptic. And the fact is that it's expensive. 300 k AD is 10 euros (it used to be 5 at launch), and it doesn't pay for the best pieces of endgame gear.

And what did I prove? That for many people, convenience isn't a sin? Sue me, then. :P
    Characters:

edited May 2013
    Hypocrisy is a well used term in this argument. The same people who are complaining from "this broken system" are the same who're grinding to sell in the AH. Let's not be blind to the fact. There is a PART of the playerbase that benefits from buying gear, but this means that there is another part who benefits from SELLING it.

BoE and PtW are basically the same thing, it's the same complaint. Icecream of different flavors is still icecream in the end.

You can't "buy" AD in the sense that it hasn't a fixed value, it's something that the playerbase will decide, you can't buy it from Cryptic. And the fact is that it's expensive. 300 k AD is 10 euros (it used to be 5 at launch), and it doesn't pay for the best pieces of endgame gear.

And what did I prove? That for many people, convenience isn't a sin? Sue me, then. :P

You seem to either be intentionally ignoring the point or assuming the point of this thread is the same as another you read yesterday. Take a step back and stop assuming people are making the same points as the last thread you read. There are extremely important differences between whats being discussed here and your run-of-the-mill "P2W" thread. The only person who's mentioned the whole "P2W" thing here is you.
    edited May 2013
    You seem to either be intentionally ignoring the point or assuming the point of this thread is the same as another you read yesterday. Take a step back and stop assuming people are making the same points as the last thread you read. There are extremely important differences between whats being discussed here and your run-of-the-mill "P2W" thread. The only person who's mentioned the whole "P2W" thing here is you.

Sorry, I'm not trying to call you a hypocrite - if that's what you're complaning about. I mean that I no see a problem about the issue you're adressing to, and that some people see BoE as PtW. Actually, I was answering to some posts I read in this thread, more than yours, hence probably the confusion is there.

I can see why you think BoE endgame gear is bad: if it was BoP, you'd need to grind it. The problem is that you need some endgame gear to get into epic dungeons, so... what do we do there? Go back to the WoW paradox (I need GS to get into the raid, but I need to do the raid to equip myself and get the GS) all over again?

Your opinion is repectable and I see your points, though I mostly dissagree. That is all.
    Characters:

• bladethornebladethorne Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People seem to have forgotten what Pay 2 Win is;

Pay 2 Win = by spending real money obtaining an advantage that is no other way obtainable.

This is NOT the case in Neverwinter! Everything that you can buy with Zen can be bought with AD if you use the exchange, same the other way around. EVERYTHING in this game can be obtained by playing.

Games with a "pay 2 win" store, are stores where you need to spend currency that in no other way is obtainable. Which means all items in that store are exclusive to people who use real money.

So there is no Pay 2 Win. There is however a shortcut to getting good loot and i do agree with most (if not all) items being Bind on Equip, it overflows the market instantly. As a result the economy crashes and no items are worth anything.

People also seem to not know what a beta is for. Many people keep using the excuse "beta is a way to launch a game in a bad state". Sure, some companies might do that if they would otherwise not be able to launch the game at all. Typically, open beta is used to A) stress test servers and B) to obtain a vast amount of data and bug reports to iron out as many issues as possible before the game goes live (a good indicator of a "true" open beta is a wipe before the game releases).

So yeah, you run into bugs, glitches, imbalance and outright broken stuff. That is what a beta is for.

Getting into closed beta or playing open beta doesnt mean the game is finished or that everything should function.

I nearly unsubbed to kripparian when he raged when his instance wouldnt reset; YOU RUN INTO A BUG DURING BETA, HOLY ****! The whole point of you playing BETA is to find there bugs BEFORE official release. If you don't report bugs, you should NOT be playing a game that is beta.
    edited May 2013
    People seem to have forgotten what Pay 2 Win is

Not sure where you're getting this from, but this is not another "P2W" thread.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would love to hear others' thoughts on this matter.

Don't care. But, then, I've never been one of those hyper-competitive raider types who cares what equipment other people are wearing.

(You know, the type who, when WoW made a tier of raid gear somewhat easier to get, moaned that "My gear is now useless/meaningless/garbage!" because horror of horrors, more people might be able to have it. /facepalm)
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Don't care. But, then, I've never been one of those hyper-competitive raider types who cares what equipment other people are wearing.

(You know, the type who, when WoW made a tier of raid gear somewhat easier to get, moaned that "My gear is now useless/meaningless/garbage!" because horror of horrors, more people might be able to have it. /facepalm)

Would this be a defense of LFR?

Cos that system took a needed step in towards fixing gear progression in WoW, and created one that was FUBAR.
  • bladethornebladethorne Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not sure where you're getting this from, but this is not another "P2W" thread.

"The best gear in the game is BoE. Rather than earning the gear, you can purchase anything you like for real money. I would love to hear others' thoughts on this matter."

Sounds like a pay2win thread to me.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    Would this be a defense of LFR?

Cos that system took a needed step in towards fixing gear progression in WoW, and created one that was FUBAR.

Nah, arguments like that have been happening since at least Burning Crusade. Any time anything happened that made it "easier" to get epics.
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Nah, arguments like that have been happening since at least Burning Crusade. Any time anything happened that made it "easier" to get epics.

Wasn't a matter of "easier" it was a matter of it being so rewarding that people stopped running normal 10 man even, why go through something that takes effort, when you can do LFR and roll the dice vs all the ninja's and roll face til you get the ending?

"but you can do normal 10 man's for the fun of it"

Was all that was spewed on the matter from players that supported it, repeatedly. Not even skipping a breath it's easy to realize that their flaw was simply that "fun" is subjective, and "progression" and "acquisition" are not.

Also, separate lockout to normal and heroic raids?

<insert genius meme here>
  • lhyeuzelhyeuze Member Posts: 71
    edited May 2013
    People seem to have forgotten what Pay 2 Win is;

Pay 2 Win = by spending real money obtaining an advantage that is no other way obtainable.

This is NOT the case in Neverwinter! Everything that you can buy with Zen can be bought with AD if you use the exchange, same the other way around. EVERYTHING in this game can be obtained by playing.

Games with a "pay 2 win" store, are stores where you need to spend currency that in no other way is obtainable. Which means all items in that store are exclusive to people who use real money.

So there is no Pay 2 Win. There is however a shortcut to getting good loot and i do agree with most (if not all) items being Bind on Equip, it overflows the market instantly. As a result the economy crashes and no items are worth anything.

People also seem to not know what a beta is for. Many people keep using the excuse "beta is a way to launch a game in a bad state". Sure, some companies might do that if they would otherwise not be able to launch the game at all. Typically, open beta is used to A) stress test servers and B) to obtain a vast amount of data and bug reports to iron out as many issues as possible before the game goes live (a good indicator of a "true" open beta is a wipe before the game releases).

So yeah, you run into bugs, glitches, imbalance and outright broken stuff. That is what a beta is for.

Getting into closed beta or playing open beta doesnt mean the game is finished or that everything should function.

I nearly unsubbed to kripparian when he raged when his instance wouldnt reset; YOU RUN INTO A BUG DURING BETA, HOLY ****! The whole point of you playing BETA is to find there bugs BEFORE official release. If you don't report bugs, you should NOT be playing a game that is beta.

No wipe = release
    edited May 2013
    lhyeuze wrote: »
    No wipe = release

Full content = release.
  • gohlargohlar Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2013
    Full content = release.

So mmos don't release until their last content patch?

"Open beta" is launch for F2P games.
  • munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If someone really wants to spend $160 on max lvl enchants then more power to'em. Its not game changing nor breaking. There "are" plenty of people out there right now, doing full clear on Castle Never, that dont have max lvl enchants. People are doing just fine with the grinded out gear they have earned in dungeons.

Yes, technically you can buy all top tier armor with $$, and have a lvl 60 character that you know nothing about, that has bad *** gear. Thankfully, in this game, its Skill >gear. The people that exploited, and bought there way to 60 with awesome l33t stuff, 99% of the time are going to be terrible at there class. In a very short time, those people running around with a cheated, $400 character wont be able to find a group, cuz everyone will know they suck.

That being said, whats the problem?
    edited May 2013
    gohlar wrote: »
    So mmos don't release until their last content patch?

"Open beta" is launch for F2P games.

No, they just dont have things like (coming soon) on their character creation screen at full launch.
  • therealdestiantherealdestian Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    warpet wrote: »
    and on what should they earn $ ? ppl dont care about cosmetic none buys it

Let me stop you right there, sparky...

People pay more for cosmetics in games than anything else.

Hats in TF2 can sell for upwards of $1,300, and the player who owns them can't even see them in game. In other words, these people are paying $1,300 to let OTHER people know that they own this hat.

This game could make millions on selling cosmetic items alone without needing to selling power at all.