test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Top Tier is BoE

13»

Comments

• jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hats in TF2 can sell for upwards of $1,300, and the player who owns them can't even see them in game. In other words, these people are paying $1,300 to let OTHER people know that they own this hat.

Medic- Can you see my hat?
    Spy- Yeah....why?

Medic- I cant see it.
    Spy- Then why did you buy it?

Medic- So you can see it.
    Spy- But I dont want to see it.

Medic- Too bad, you gotta see it now LOOK AT IT!
  • bladethornebladethorne Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Plenty of games are successfully adopting the microtransaction model for cosmetics only.
    Biggest success is ofcourse League of legends. Path of Exile is another such example.

Convenience is not P2W. Personally, i prefer the GW1 model; buy the box to get everything. And pay microtransactions for convenience stuff (e.g. storage space, character slots, etc).

The reason NW is not doing anything wrong in my book, is because you CAN buy everything with Zen or AD if you want. It just takes time. The same way it takes a hell of a long time to unlock every single champion in a game like League of Legends.

NW's model (i guess Cryptic's model) is legit and works, if it didnt, their games would all be dead in the water. And if you dont like it; DONT PLAY IT. People complain way to easy these days... Guess it's just the next generation of kids thinking that they have to open their mouths about everything.
  • telmet1982telmet1982 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The best gear in the game is BoE. Rather than earning the gear, you can purchase anything you like for real money. I would love to hear others' thoughts on this matter.

What aggravates me is top tier and other tiers being BOE and other classes rolling need on them just to AH them and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> the people in the party that will actually use them.
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    telmet1982 wrote: »
    What aggravates me is top tier and other tiers being BOE and other classes rolling need on them just to AH them and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> the people in the party that will actually use them.

Bring a couple friends and roll for each other too. Hell, bring 4 friends and stop worrying about it at all :P
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • galdraegaldrae Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't really mind it, I don't particularly enjoy dungeons and am looking forward to get into the foundry quests a bit at 60 instead. So I got my gear of the AH already for when I turn 60. The only problem I think it's too cheap on the AH, it makes all the vendor sold items useless, who's going to buy a 2 million AD piece of blue armour when they can get something better on the auction house for ~20k
  • therealdestiantherealdestian Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    jedizalm wrote: »
    Medic- Can you see my hat?
    Spy- Yeah....why?

Medic- I cant see it.
    Spy- Then why did you buy it?

Medic- So you can see it.
    Spy- But I dont want to see it.

Medic- Too bad, you gotta see it now LOOK AT IT!

Exactly this.

I've no idea why the zen store only has a meager THREE costumes right now...
    edited May 2013
    galdrae wrote: »
    I don't really mind it, I don't particularly enjoy dungeons and am looking forward to get into the foundry quests a bit at 60 instead. So I got my gear of the AH already for when I turn 60. The only problem I think it's too cheap on the AH, it makes all the vendor sold items useless, who's going to buy a 2 million AD piece of blue armour when they can get something better on the auction house for ~20k

The 2 million AD vendor chest is an obscene joke and or Zen market ad. You can earn a comparable or better chest from seals or dungeons in a matter of hours. 2 million legit AD without using $ or selling other epics? That would take forever.

PS. I hope you don't put too much stock in Foundry being great at 60. It's designed to be completely unrewarding at the moment. The mobs are dangerous and the loot is terrible.
  • therealdestiantherealdestian Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    Plenty of games are successfully adopting the microtransaction model for cosmetics only.
    Biggest success is ofcourse League of legends. Path of Exile is another such example.

Convenience is not P2W. Personally, i prefer the GW1 model; buy the box to get everything. And pay microtransactions for convenience stuff (e.g. storage space, character slots, etc).

The reason NW is not doing anything wrong in my book, is because you CAN buy everything with Zen or AD if you want. It just takes time. The same way it takes a hell of a long time to unlock every single champion in a game like League of Legends.

NW's model (i guess Cryptic's model) is legit and works, if it didnt, their games would all be dead in the water. And if you dont like it; DONT PLAY IT. People complain way to easy these days... Guess it's just the next generation of kids thinking that they have to open their mouths about everything.

While I would agree to an extent, the issue here is that you're playing games and having fun unlocking champs in LoL.

In NW, the grind for the best enchants will be just that: a grind, and a horrible one at that. The grind could take roughly half the time and it would still be fine.

Very few players are going to stick around for that long of a grind. PWE would be making far more money if the items weren't hard to obtain in game and instead there was a huge list of cosmetics to buy.
    edited May 2013
    While I would agree to an extent, the issue here is that you're playing games and having fun unlocking champs in LoL.

In NW, the grind for the best enchants will be just that: a grind, and a horrible one at that. The grind could take roughly half the time and it would still be fine.

Very few players are going to stick around for that long of a grind. PWE would be making far more money if the items weren't hard to obtain in game and instead there was a huge list of cosmetics to buy.

I wonder how many angel pets will ever be received in NW. My guess is double digits :P
  • jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Exactly this.

I've no idea why the zen store only has a meager THREE costumes right now...

Still really early in the games life. They will bring more as time progresses.
  • nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I will admit to a deep sense of schadenfreude in this issue. The plain and simple truth is that anything in the game is for sale, including your next build. You can buy the zen to make into AD to purchase whatever you want. Someone is grinding out these items and making them available. Well yes that’s true and this early into beta I think it is easy enough to brand some of them as the same sort of power-gamers that are looking to buy. But this will become less apparent (though no less true) as time goes on.

The place where this becomes vulgar is when player compete with each other. PVP is just the most obvious example but also when assessing gearscore or even just comparing Epeens. What PWE has managed here is a way for the moneyed to have a significant advantage in conflicts with other players.

I do not care much for PVP because of this very sort of issue. The need to pummel another sentient in order to feel good seems like the very alchemy of disaster. But its is the hot craze now with all the various generations from old-school to whippersnapper lining up to cross swords. Thus PWE wants to monetize that desire. Fair enough.

But what they fail to fully comprehend is that those who engage in PVP expect a contest of skill. What they are getting here is a contest of wallets. Making a buck off of endgame elitism is also a stroke of genius. Cash for gearscore. It’s like a raiding tax. The fellow you beat yesterday had dropped a load of cash and his gear is much better than yours today, sorry fellow, your good time is at an end. Your raiding slot is only secure so long as you keep up with the latest fashions in enchantments and epics. Buy like a champion.

As for me, I plan to roleplay, bypassing both the expensive raiding scene and the deep pocket pvp game. In some ways I do feel for those who have made these cash pits their worldviews. But you wanted to compete, and in the end; PWE pwned j00.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The best gear in the game is BoE. Rather than earning the gear, you can purchase anything you like for real money. I would love to hear others' thoughts on this matter.

I hate it. Not necessarily that it's BoE, but that the auction house runs on an effectively real-money currency.

Neverwinter is clearly a pay-to-win game (i.e., a game where paying cash buys significant in-game advantage). That's been settled. So at this point, I've generally stopped posting about it. I'd hoped it wouldn't be the case, but here we are.

But I've been having fun with the game, so I'll keep playing it. Doesn't mean I'll pay anything, though. I'm still not convinced I'll be able to viably play end-game long-term without paying for power.
    edited May 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    I hate it. Not necessarily that it's BoE, but that the auction house runs on an effectively real-money currency.

Neverwinter is clearly a pay-to-win game (i.e., a game where paying cash buys significant in-game advantage). That's been settled. So at this point, I've generally stopped posting about it. I'd hoped it wouldn't be the case, but here we are.

But I've been having fun with the game, so I'll keep playing it. Doesn't mean I'll pay anything, though. I'm still not convinced I'll be able to viably play end-game long-term without paying for power.

Beating NW is actually centered on finding ways to acquire all the best gear as fast as you can without spending any $ :D
    edited May 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    I wonder how many angel pets will ever be received in NW. My guess is double digits :P

You know the coins to buy the angel don't go away, right? The Celestial coins are the ones that disappear. I expect most that play for a year or so will get the Angel.

Or maybe you were just making a dig at how many will be playing in a year?
    edited May 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    Beating NW is actually centered on finding ways to acquire all the best gear as fast as you can without spending any $ :D

Sure, but the problem is one of the best ways to do that is to roll Need on all the purples, and sell them on the AH. So to play the game to the best of your ability, you have to be a jerk...
    edited May 2013
    You know the coins to buy the angel don't go away, right? The Celestial coins are the ones that disappear. I expect most that play for a year or so will get the Angel.

Or maybe you were just making a dig at how many will be playing in a year?

Actually what I'm expecting is fewer people logging in every day for an entire year. Personally, I'll probably get my angel pet sometime in 2015.
    edited May 2013
    Sure, but the problem is one of the best ways to do that is to roll Need on all the purples, and sell them on the AH. So to play the game to the best of your ability, you have to be a jerk...

No, that's beating other people. The meta game is played against Cryptic's pricing model :D