test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Top Tier is BoE

aetherchargeaethercharge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 359 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
The best gear in the game is BoE. Rather than earning the gear, you can purchase anything you like for real money. I would love to hear others' thoughts on this matter.
Post edited by aethercharge on

Comments

• jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont remember the Zen store allowing you to buy top rated gear. Which tab is that under?
  • aullah12aullah12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This game wont last long with this stupid thin. People will get enough of this BS and will leave. They need to change this asap.
  • aetherchargeaethercharge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 359 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jedizalm wrote: »
    I dont remember the Zen store allowing you to buy top rated gear. Which tab is that under?

"Astral Diamond Exchange"
  • sanitypandasanitypanda Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    If it weren't, non.paying players would have no actually good means of farming AD besides of 24k/day daylies. It would then take us years of playing just to get a few enchantments (400 days or something, as i recall reading on a post).
  • moobepoe1moobepoe1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

What he means that all the gear that drops in dungeons is BoE. Meaning everything gets dumped on the AH for Astral Diamonds. Seeing you can exchange Zen for diamonds you can quite literally buy a full set of gear with real money.
  • lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013

No but can purchase AD from the store...

Step 1: purchase AD
    Step 2: go to the AH
    Step 3: scroll down to epic 1337 gearz
    step 4: purchase gear
    step 5: enchant gear with more AD purchases
    Step 6:???
    Step 7: own face with your toon has been lvl 60 a whole 15 mins.

As has been said before... some dont consider this to be p2w... personally i equate p2w and buying power to be the same thing. While you might disagree that buying power is p2w, what i think most of us WILL agree on is that making max rank enchants 1% or less success rate, forcing us to buy wards is. With out wards you will never see max rank enchants, and those are stupidly over priced... someone i think said costs around 160 dollars to buy enough wards to enchant every socket of your armor. So basically...

Anyway you swing it because gear is BoE it allows players to buy power, its bad if you ask me and i'm against it...
  • fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It doesn't bother me within itself to be honest. If some want to trade zen for diamonds so they can get this gear off the AH then all the more power to them. Not something I would personally do but whatever floats their boat. What does irritate me is that due to how the current loot system is designed this is why many roll need on items that are not usuable by their class because they want the diamonds for selling it on the AH.
  • urdefmadurdefmad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    pvp = p2w then. just buy the best weapon in the game and you're good
  • morinoxmorinox Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Step 1: purchase AD
    Step 2: go to the AH
    Step 3: scroll down to epic 1337 gearz
    step 4: purchase gear
    step 5: enchant gear with more AD purchases
    Step 6:???
    Step 7: own face with your toon has been lvl 60 a whole 15 mins.

As has been said before... some dont consider this to be p2w... personally i equate p2w and buying power to be the same thing. While you might disagree that buying power is p2w, what i think most of us WILL agree on is that making max rank enchants 1% or less success rate, forcing us to buy wards is. With out wards you will never see max rank enchants, and those are stupidly over priced... someone i think said costs around 160 dollars to buy enough wards to enchant every socket of your armor. So basically...

Anyway you swing it because gear is BoE it allows players to buy power, its bad if you ask me and i'm against it...

Sure, if you only do PVP, i'd agree that it's P2W, but this game is not at all PVP focused. You don't win over someone else in PVE. "Player versus Enviroment", hello?
    "For in this modern world, the instruments of warfare are not solely for waging war. Far more importantly, they are the means for controlling peace..."

~Admiral Arleigh Burke~
  • dragonbournedragonbourne Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fongador wrote: »
    It doesn't bother me within itself to be honest. If some want to trade zen for diamonds so they can get this gear off the AH then all the more power to them. Not something I would personally do but whatever floats their boat. What does irritate me is that due to how the current loot system is designed this is why many roll need on items that are not usuable by their class because they want the diamonds for selling it on the AH.

I agree totally with this. It doesn't hurt my experience in any way, shape or form. Then again, I don't PvP much, but even so, I don't think it would get to me. I'm not adverse to losing.
    edited May 2013
    moobepoe1 wrote: »
    What he means that all the gear that drops in dungeons is BoE. Meaning everything gets dumped on the AH for Astral Diamonds. Seeing you can exchange Zen for diamonds you can quite literally buy a full set of gear with real money.
    "Astral Diamond Exchange"

Oh....so you CANT buy top tiered items from the store, you have to instead buy AD from people and use that to buy the items, which in turn is guilt by association. I understand what you're getting at. Now realize one thing....this is a PWE game, and EVERY PWE game allows for this. I will give you all the benefit of the doubt that you didnt know, and most people dont research games too thuroughly, but as a PWE gamer for about 2 years now, and playing at least 3 of their games, I can attest that EVERY PWE GAME ALLOWS YOU TO BUY IN GAME ITEMS FOR REAL MONEY. I'm not yelling at anyone, I just wanted to make sure that point stood out. Coming to the forums and complaining about it wont change anything. It always has been, and always will be allowed. Its been on their flagship game since Day 1 as far as I know. I dont see their recipe for success changing anytime soon. And yes, all these games also offer PvP where you can buy and save time and thus win sooner.
  • aetherchargeaethercharge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 359 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Oh....so you CANT buy top tiered items from the store, you have to instead buy AD from people and use that to buy the items, which in turn is guilt by association. I understand what you're getting at. Now realize one thing....this is a PWE game, and EVERY PWE game allows for this. I will give you all the benefit of the doubt that you didnt know, and most people dont research games too thuroughly, but as a PWE gamer for about 2 years now, and playing at least 3 of their games, I can attest that EVERY PWE GAME ALLOWS YOU TO BUY IN GAME ITEMS FOR REAL MONEY. I'm not yelling at anyone, I just wanted to make sure that point stood out. Coming to the forums and complaining about it wont change anything. It always has been, and always will be allowed. Its been on their flagship game since Day 1 as far as I know. I dont see their recipe for success changing anytime soon. And yes, all these games also offer PvP where you can buy and save time and thus win sooner.

I understand fully what you're saying here and respect it. However, the fact that other games have gone down this road is not a justification of any kind. We should discuss the merits of this design model independently.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    and on what should they earn $ ? ppl dont care about cosmetic none buys it and end game gear is easy to farm and there isnt big use of gems to crtic strike gems give low crtic chance and power gems give u 5 damage
    edited May 2013
    warpet wrote: »
    ppl dont care about cosmetic none buys it

I really have no idea what you're talking about here. Cosmetics are huge business for all games even resembling a "f2p" model. Just look at Dota 2 and Path of Exile - both games are *thriving* on cosmetic-only items.
  • yupp99yupp99 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    Yeh and they need to check everyones lunches also!They could have a Twinkie in it!Thank the Great Pumpkin that there are folks worried about other folks.Who cares.It is a game period.
  • fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I understand fully what you're saying here and respect it. However, the fact that other games have gone down this road is not a justification of any kind. We should discuss the merits of this design model independently.

Well it is a f2p game so they need reasons for people to want to spend zen. If this game was sub based and these items were BOE I would have a different take on the matter but it isn't. Personally, I think a fair compromise would be have the items as BOE but class specific items should only be rolled for need by players of the specific class in question.
  • vitadrink469vitadrink469 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know its kind of stupid to assume the content we have is the "top tier" content. I'm 100% sure there is higher content then what we have, and to even assume that items dropped from there will be BoE is beyond seeing the future as an ignorant old man.
    From what i know these are just dungeons, maybe Cryptic wants everything to be BoE so people with a lot of AD (players with a lot of Alts, or played a lot) can quicky gear their new character (alts) to join in on the fun right away.
    Ex. Instead of doing the tedious WoW dungeon tier gearing slowly, now you can quickly buy it all off AH, to join the legit "top tier" content right off the bat because you can afford the gears.
    *Shrugs* just my two cent... that might happen yeah?
    edited May 2013
    You know its kind of stupid to assume the content we have is the "top tier" content. I'm 100% sure there is higher content then what we have, and to even assume that items dropped from there will be BoE is beyond seeing the future as an ignorant old man.
    From what i know these are just dungeons, maybe Cryptic wants everything to be BoE so people with a lot of AD (players with a lot of Alts, or played a lot) can quicky gear their new character (alts) to join in on the fun right away.
    Ex. Instead of doing the tedious WoW dungeon tier gearing slowly, now you can quickly buy it all off AH, to join the legit "top tier" content right off the bat because you can afford the gears.
    *Shrugs* just my two cent... that might happen yeah?

I partially agree with you. However, this is a part of the purpose of this thread. Feedback is the name of the game - and if the devs are watching feedback we want them to know that the community desires a BoP tier at the top.
    edited May 2013

This is true. We should look at this game as a stand alone product. But realistically, why? We dont look at cars by themselves. We look at the manufacturer. We dont look at a computer as a stand alone product, we see who its made by to judge it on its merits and flaws. I cant remember the last time I looked at a new Soda and didnt think of the brand first. So why should we do it with games? This game is Made by cryptic, who has other games that use a similar infrastucture for their gaming currencies. This game is published by PWE, who uses a similar gaming economy. I dont know about everyone else, but 2+2 does not equal Cats.
    edited May 2013
    This is true. We should look at this game as a stand alone product. But realistically, why? We dont look at cars by themselves. We look at the manufacturer. We dont look at a computer as a stand alone product, we see who its made by to judge it on its merits and flaws. I cant remember the last time I looked at a new Soda and didnt think of the brand first. So why should we do it with games? This game is Made by cryptic, who has other games that use a similar infrastucture for their gaming currencies. This game is published by PWE, who uses a similar gaming economy. I dont know about everyone else, but 2+2 does not equal Cats.

Sure, but the argument of precedent is based upon merit. If we're saying "this is good because it's been done before," it implies that it was a good thing the first time it happened.
  • kaasdoekkaasdoek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The best gear in the game is BoE. Rather than earning the gear, you can purchase anything you like for real money. I would love to hear others' thoughts on this matter.

People with spare time like me earn their gear. People that work and have no time buy their gear. it comes down to the same thing.

The problem is there is no pvp balance, there is lag, there are no fun pvp objectives maps, no open pvp, no raid zones to use this gear. This is why this game will never be a great success story. Elder Scrolls Online and Everquest Next are coming and many players will go there anyway. This is just a fun quick filler.
  • czeslawczadczeslawczad Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    kaasdoek wrote: »
    People with spare time like me earn their gear. People that work and have no time buy their gear. it comes down to the same thing.

The problem is there is no pvp balance, there is lag, there are no fun pvp objectives maps, no open pvp, no raid zones to use this gear. This is why this game will never be a great success story. Elder Scrolls Online and Everquest Next are coming and many players will go there anyway. This is just a fun quick filler.

This.

Also I just dinged 60 like 3 minutes ago. I already bought the +5 lvl 60 purple PvP weapon, no problem. My dmg went up by half. I just tested my daily AoE and it killed the dummies in the Trade of Blades headquarters. I'm still like whaaaat? Isn't that a tad too much? Anyway you can get most of ur purples before you even ding 60 if you PvP a lot... so there's no need to buy them. You level a lot as well. The only problem I see is the **** repetitivness of the PvP. Oh, dominion again? Who would have guessed...?

Best regards,
    Kalantris
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kaasdoek wrote: »

^ give this guy a medal.
  • natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Its actually quite sad. This is leading to heavy ninja looting from players who participated in the run and earned that gear, just to have it ripped away from them by some ****** who wants to make a profit for himself. Just a matter of time, this loot system will be getting changed as more and more people start complaining about it.
    ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro Gen3 mobo, Intel i7 2600k, 32gb DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws, 500gb SSD, 2TB HDD, Geforce GTX 690 x2 Sli, 1200 watt Thermaltake modular PS, Thermaltake gaming tower.
    edited May 2013
    Sure, but the argument of precedent is based upon merit. If we're saying "this is good because it's been done before," it implies that it was a good thing the first time it happened.

As far as cryptic and PWE are concerned, this is a good way to make money, and successful, otherwise they would not have done it. I dont like it, but then again, this is kinda some PvP things, because as said earlier, in PvE, you dont really win against other players. And honestly, I dont care for PvP in a PvE dominant game.
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    As far as cryptic and PWE are concerned, this is a good way to make money, and successful, otherwise they would not have done it. I dont like it, but then again, this is kinda some PvP things, because as said earlier, in PvE, you dont really win against other players. And honestly, I dont care for PvP in a PvE dominant game.

In otherwords, as always the answer boils down to the obvious and endlessly repeated one

"If you don't like what they're doing, don't expect them to change it when they'd rather shut the servers down and sunset the game than change the monetization, your option is to simply vote with your wallet and/or your feet"
  • realpureshadowrealpureshadow Member Posts: 90
    edited May 2013
    Top tier should be BOP. Tier 1 i wouldn't mind being boe. If they just added new gear down the road, than the old gear tier 2 could be BOE.

I just think there should be a line at least. Everything shouldn't be BOE. It helps make bad players where you will get a tank with the best gear but not even know how to play. I think having things BOP it means they atleast know strat and earned it.

The other problem is people buy group rez scrolls to down things. So then we have that problem to where bad players are just buying victory. I don't know, at this rate dedicated pve and pvpers wont last long, servers will be left with the minority of rich bad players.
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    In otherwords, as always the answer boils down to the obvious and endlessly repeated one

"If you don't like what they're doing, don't expect them to change it when they'd rather shut the servers down and sunset the game than change the monetization, your option is to simply vote with your wallet and/or your feet"

It sucks...I know. But some companies are greedy like that. I dont approve of their tactic either, but if you like the game, you bear with it. Otherwise, you play until you find something else to play. Ignore the dedicated crowd, they dont concern you. They plan to stay here for a few months, if not a few years anyway.
    edited May 2013

Ok but we are, in part, discussing the value of investing in this game from the point of view of the player. As far as PVE vs PVP - portions of the player base care about both sections of the game. To say "you cant win in PvE" is to make the value assessment that somehow PvP is intrinsically superior to PvE. A significant portion of the player base would disagree with that assertion.
    edited May 2013
    Ok but we are, in part, discussing the value of investing in this game from the point of view of the player. As far as PVE vs PVP - portions of the player base care about both sections of the game. To say "you cant win in PvE" is to make the value assessment that somehow PvP is intrinsically superior to PvE. A significant portion of the player base would disagree with that assertion.

PvP isnt supeior. Its broken and unbalanced, and thats because the game is made and balanced for PvE, not PvP. And honestly, no one players wins in PvE is what I mean, you either win as a team, or lose as a team. In PvP, one team loses, another one wins.

Whole point is, the idea of buying items is more of a lazy mans thing, or a PvP thing. Lazy Man has nothing to do with my game play, and the game wasnt designed for PvP anyway. If lazy people would rather powerlevel to 60, buy all their gear and be godly, let them. Its not ruining my game in any way. If they could do that in something more PvP oriented, I would be concerned. But then again, I prolly wont be playing a PvP dominant game. It breeds my already high contempt for the human race as is.