test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Math on Tenebrous Enchantment?

someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Anyone have this available? There was a few small topics, but I was wondering if this is still BIS in all slots (even at 1%), or if we should be stacking crit/arp/power. Nothing seems to be confirmed yet >.>
Post edited by someoneod on

Comments

• fcrowlesfcrowles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What I do is use the 2% in a ring slot. I only use one. It procs very often for around 300-400 damage. I'm not sure if they stack, not willing to give up a rank 7 rune to check it out.
  • synozeersynozeer Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I run 5 Greater Tenebrous Enchantments and it adds a lot of damage. I use Greater Plague Fire for my weapon enchant, and the fire DoT also can proc Tenebrous so I usually get a couple to several procs per hit. Additionally when you Threatening Rush with Plague Fire, anything marked gets affected by the fire DoT and that can trigger Tenebrous as well.
    Guild: Chocolate Stand | Main: Hzarn (GF)/Danteel (HR) | Watch PvP Videos
  • forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1/15 normal teneberous for one enchant

stacks multiplicatively from what i remember. 5 enchants gives me an average of 7 procs/wms with a plaguefire weapon
  • someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    synozeer wrote: »
    I run 5 Greater Tenebrous Enchantments and it adds a lot of damage. I use Greater Plague Fire for my weapon enchant, and the fire DoT also can proc Tenebrous so I usually get a couple to several procs per hit. Additionally when you Threatening Rush with Plague Fire, anything marked gets affected by the fire DoT and that can trigger Tenebrous as well.

6 greater enchantments already; like pissing away money :/

As for everyone... I know that they are good, and I know they are additive, and I know they proc often. I was just hoping someone actually did a direct mathematical comparison of them, compared to power/crit etc.
  • forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    they are mutiplicative

the more you get the more you benefit
  • gerok1gerok1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tenebrous does not have a flat proc chance. it has a short internal cooldown. example if i walk up to dummy i hit once all 5 of mine go off wait about 6 sec hit again they all go off. however if you chain attack they do not proc every swing. i have parsed logs for this. i did a full dungeon run where i had 120,000 total htis from all things. 833 of those were tenebrous enchants. i have done some shorter tests also and can confirm it is an internal cooldown not a proc chance.
  • sanctumlolsanctumlol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 382 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Tenebrous is bad. It has an ICD. You swing, tenebrous procs, now it can't proc again for 2-4 secs. It'll only end up doing 3% of your dmg.

Edit: Gerok beat me to it.
    edited May 2013
    it might have an internal cooldown but the fact that it procs off DoTs makes up for that.

A single Weapon masters strike gives me up to 7 procs of this enchant with 5 enchants on a plaguefire weapon
  • someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sanctumlol wrote: »
    Tenebrous is bad. It has an ICD. You swing, tenebrous procs, now it can't proc again for 2-4 secs. It'll only end up doing 3% of your dmg.

Edit: Gerok beat me to it.

So essentially it looks really good initially, but doesn't pan out in terms of encounters lasting a few minutes. Any ideas on what amount of stats you would require to outdo this? Certain rank? Numbers on ICD, etc.

It seemed too good to be true given the proc rate.
    edited May 2013
    it might have an internal cooldown but the fact that it procs off DoTs makes up for that.

A single Weapon masters strike gives me up to 7 procs of this enchant with 5 enchants on a plaguefire weapon

No because the dots aren't proccing it. Like I said, it has an ICD. You proc it 7x once then you don't proc anything for a while.
    edited May 2013
    someoneod wrote: »
    So essentially it looks really good initially, but doesn't pan out in terms of encounters lasting a few minutes. Any ideas on what amount of stats you would require to outdo this? Certain rank? Numbers on ICD, etc.

It seemed too good to be true given the proc rate.

All I know is that Crity/Recovery > Power > Tenebrous on GWFs

Their scaling on abilities is horrible (so power isn't that great) and tenebrous is deceptively weak.
    edited May 2013
    No because the dots aren't proccing it. Like I said, it has an ICD. You proc it 7x once then you don't proc anything for a while.

no. dots do proc it

i hit wms i get 5 procs. then after a bunch of plaguefire procs and no direct damage i get another 2-4 procs
    edited May 2013
    All I know is that Crity/Recovery > Power > Tenebrous on GWFs

Their scaling on abilities is horrible (so power isn't that great) and tenebrous is deceptively weak.

theorycraft all you want if i am getting 7-9 procs with 5 tenebrous enchants off a single WMS on a single target i am keeping it. way more damage than power would have given me

i have enough recovery at about 3.3k recovery
    edited May 2013
    theorycraft all you want if i am getting 7-9 procs with 5 tenebrous enchants off a single WMS on a single target i am keeping it. way more damage than power would have given me

i have enough recovery at about 3.3k recovery

you're not reading what we're typing
  • maligkn0maligkn0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i only have 1 question where does the tenebrous enchantment and plague fire enchantment drops?

:D
    edited May 2013
    someoneod wrote: »
    you're not reading what we're typing

your saying it doesnt proc off dots. it does

your saying it has a limit to how many times it can proc in a time frame. i am saying the timeframe isnt that big a deal as dots and bleeds proc it any way. I am saying that i dont care what gross numbers or software says, i read my logs in the trade of blades and I get 7-9 procs with wms on a single target with 5 enchants. thats more than enough damage for me to like it
    edited May 2013
    your saying it doesnt proc off dots. it does

your saying it has a limit to how many times it can proc in a time frame. i am saying the timeframe isnt that big a deal as dots and bleeds proc it any way. I am saying that i dont care what gross numbers or software says, i read my logs in the trade of blades and I get 7-9 procs with wms on a single target with 5 enchants. thats more than enough damage for me to like it

Actually they were saying that it does indeed proc off dots, however analyzing a 1 second combat log fragment does not tell you anything about actual proc rate or internal cooldown times.
  • gerok1gerok1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have parsed entire dungeon runs and have 5 tenebrous enchantments add up to a total of 4% of my damage. depending on how high your stats are tene can be good or bad. at low gear level you could get more than 5% dps increase in those slots at realy high dr values possibly not.
  • nowwithlimenowwithlime Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What would be a better option then for the offense slot then? If GWF doesn't scale well with power then would Recovery/Crit still be better in those slots?
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What would be a better option then for the offense slot then? If GWF doesn't scale well with power then would Recovery/Crit still be better in those slots?

Actually, I would assume that in higher level dungeon runs, armor penetration would work better, if only because there's no such thing as unarmoured there. (I think)
  • securussecurus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In general the only one who wants tenebrous is the tank for the initial agro grab, they actually have probably the worst actual increase, the difference is when you have 4 of them and plaguefire and they all proc off your threatening rush at will it gives GF's a huge boost in initial aoe agro when combined with the mark, thats why GF's use them not for the damage as much as they are great agro generators.

In general you would get much better stats from a rank 7 or higher regular enchantment.

As far as what increases damage in general recover until 3k then after that its power>crit>anything else. There is an exception for rogues who have a vorpal enchant though, for them its actually crit>recovery>power because they actually get more than 100% damage bonus on crits.

Armor pen is actually kinda worthless because it has so little value against low armor targets and the same amount of power would do the same as armor pen against an armored target. Its not that having some armor pen isnt bad, its just that its weighted the same as power and critical strike so there is no reason to get it when power has the same increase as AP but AP only helps on high armor targets.
  • maligkn0maligkn0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Where does tenebrous and plaguefire drops?
  • scatheukscatheuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    Did anyone work out what's really going on with Tenebrous enchants?

Under my testing (GWF) I am only seeing maximum number of procs as number of enchants I have equipped (currenlty 3x) and there is an internal CD of 3-4 secs before they go off again.

However, having spoken to a TR and CW I know, they are not seeing any internal CDs. In fact they are seeing more Tenebrous procs off one attack than actual Tenebrous enchants equipped.

So either there is some class mechanic impacting this, or a bugged way in equipped or combination of skills. Or, maybe the ones I have equipped are bugged in some way and not performing as intended ;p
  • jwiechersjwiechers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scatheuk wrote: »
    Did anyone work out what's really going on with Tenebrous enchants?

Under my testing (GWF) I am only seeing maximum number of procs as number of enchants I have equipped (currenlty 3x) and there is an internal CD of 3-4 secs before they go off again.

However, having spoken to a TR and CW I know, they are not seeing any internal CDs. In fact they are seeing more Tenebrous procs off one attack than actual Tenebrous enchants equipped.

So either there is some class mechanic impacting this, or a bugged way in equipped or combination of skills. Or, maybe the ones I have equipped are bugged in some way and not performing as intended ;p

I now have the exact same pattern with TR. (4x Tenebrous, Plaguefire): the four tenebrous enchantments go off and deal ~ 500 damage each, around 5% of the time. They almost always go off at the same time and they have a cool down. They went off 547 times over the course of a little over 10.000 Sly Flourishs, dealing roughly 6% of total damage, Plaguefire dealt 4%, in other words, they trigger after every 16-20 Sly Flourishs. If you wait roughly seven seconds between strikes, they trigger immediately on first strike. They no longer trigger from Plague Fire.
  • scatheukscatheuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    I'm not sure they have been patched. The internal CD has been there for some time for me, I think there is something else going on.
  • kondesitokondesito Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bump for moar info!
  • mortmagemortmage Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I did some testing with my CW using 3 x 2% Tenebrous enchants with the practice dummies and loaded the Combat Log for the session with the practice dummies into Excel. Just prior to the test session, I cleared out the existing Combat Log, so the calculations are based solely on the Combat Log output of the test session.

Here's the damage summary:

combatlogsummary.png

As you can see, the total damage provided by the Tenebrous enchants, after applying target dummy defense (or whatever is causing the net damage applied to the dummies to be less than the gross damage), is exactly zero. Gross damage might as well be zero as well.

My practice dummy session was conducted over about two minutes on the center dummy in a row of three (so I was damaging all three with the Encounter spells and only the center dummy with At Will). I used Steal Time, Icy Terrain, and Entangling Force as soon as they completed CD and used Magic Missile the rest of the time.

I'm hoping someone can point out what I did wrong since, in this test at least, Tenebrous added nothing to my damage.

Here are my Char and Comp Sheets for reference:

yasesril60.png

iounstoneallure.png
  • vivaisthebestvivaisthebest Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Where exactly can you find / get Tenebrous enchants?
  • l3l3l3l3l3l3l3l3 Member Posts: 73
    edited June 2013
    Where exactly can you find / get Tenebrous enchants?

In your wallet.
    edited June 2013
    securus wrote: »
    In general the only one who wants tenebrous is the tank for the initial agro grab, they actually have probably the worst actual increase, the difference is when you have 4 of them and plaguefire and they all proc off your threatening rush at will it gives GF's a huge boost in initial aoe agro when combined with the mark, thats why GF's use them not for the damage as much as they are great agro generators.

In general you would get much better stats from a rank 7 or higher regular enchantment.

As far as what increases damage in general recover until 3k then after that its power>crit>anything else. There is an exception for rogues who have a vorpal enchant though, for them its actually crit>recovery>power because they actually get more than 100% damage bonus on crits.

Armor pen is actually kinda worthless because it has so little value against low armor targets and the same amount of power would do the same as armor pen against an armored target. Its not that having some armor pen isnt bad, its just that its weighted the same as power and critical strike so there is no reason to get it when power has the same increase as AP but AP only helps on high armor targets.

ArP is the most valuable stat, by far, until you get 24%. 1/(1-ArP%*.01) = Increase in dmg from ArP. For example, 24% ArP gives you a 31.6% damage increase. Most CN mobs have between 15-22% DR and bosses are at 24%.

You're correct that AFTER ArP comes recovery to roughly 3k and crit to roughly 2k. If you get 100% more crit multiplier then crit goes up to roughly 3k. For DPS GFs, because of doubled power, it's ArP>Recovery to 1800>Crit to 200>Power.

GFs don't get tenebrous because they want to aggro, that's some BS thing you invented. GFs aggro just fine, not to mention, GFs aren't brought to parties because of their "tankability" they are brought because of their insane dps.

ON TOPIC: Tenebrous are ****. They butcher your AoE dps damage and don't give you any increase in single target either. Think about it like this: You do 400 dps with Tenebrous. Now you put on normal enchants and do 400 dps per target hit. That's pretty much how it goes.

The reason why they are so insane in PvP, along with crit and crit multiplier, is because PvP is ALL about burst.