test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Group system is Major fail

debarsdebars Member Posts: 41
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Sadly the group system in this game has made me quit, at least till it is fixed. After 7 attempts of trying to get a group without all dps we finally get 1 healer. After being in the middle of a instance someone leaves or DCs not being able to replace them is beyond broken. After making it to a end of a instance and the person doesnt speak english so we cant explain a strat to him and we keep failing, but if we kick him we cant find someone new. Not to mention the random terrible players.

This all happened this sunday afternoon and about the 3rd day in a row i have experienced the same old BS.

Stay classy.
Post edited by debars on

Comments

• jazzneojazzneo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    i never have problem in dungeon with people im a tank
  • bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Correct me if I am mistaken, but this is still open beta?
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The grouping system needs some major work, I haven't had much problem with the queing for delves but then I haven't done any higher lvl ones as I have been smelling the roses a whole lot while soloing so far.

One thing I really dislike though is when doing regular quests I sometimes would like to group up or start a "pug" to use a term from DDO yet I don't seem to find any way I can put up a "lfm" like in DDO that allows me to set up what classes I want, the quest I am running and level range etc.

Somehow I out leveled Mad Dragon before I had a chance to try it and I don't relish spamming the zone chat to find a group.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It's at least Beta. Someone could make a decent argument (based on missing implementations and lack of full functionality) that it's actually in a late Alpha state.

But yep. It's Beta. And these sorts of problems are probably sitting on a checklist to be addressed once the items above them are handled.

I imagine at the top of that checklist is a bolded and underlined "Server Stability!!!" circled multiple times in multiple pen-colors.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • j0mberwakij0mberwaki Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 152 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I've never had problems in groups that I pre-make. PUGs are PUGs. It's random, sometimes it's crappy. You don't always get the golden glowing wizard that can fireball the whole room and send smiley face deathbeams all over the place.
    4895b885-3d65-48d2-9eb2-d940289d7be4_zps8e4ae678.jpg
    WTB Big-Giant Robot Camels, tbh...
  • scalretdoomscalretdoom Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013

So, I guess being beta can excuse all problems in the game. I never knew that.
  • mountain45mountain45 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, I guess being beta can excuse all problems in the game. I never knew that.

no it doesnt but it means send feedback so they can look at itand get it towork right . that is what beta is for
  • debarsdebars Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013

Core content is group based. Group finding is a new concept and there are no mmos out there that do it right. Correct me if i am mistaken.
    edited May 2013
    Here's some feedback IN a grouping system for this game.

I want to be able to put up a lfm showing:

*what quest I want to do ( I want to see the quest name in the lfm), I want to be able to select if it is a regular quest, a delve or epic dungeon
    *what classes I want joining
    *level range I am looking for
    * a small comments line
    * I want the ability to put the lfm back up even if I am inside a quest that way if someone drops or w/e they can be replaced
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • letsgohomeletsgohome Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    debars wrote: »
    Core content is group based. Group finding is a new concept and there are no mmos out there that do it right. Correct me if i am mistaken.

World of Warcraft?
  • kaelspriestkaelspriest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mountain45 wrote: »
    no it doesnt but it means send feedback so they can look at itand get it towork right . that is what beta is for
    And...here's some feedback. Right here in this thread. Game is in beta, people are posting feedback about the beta. Not sure what your problem is.
  • herrschnabeltierherrschnabeltier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pilf3r wrote: »
    The grouping system needs some major work, I haven't had much problem with the queing for delves but then I haven't done any higher lvl ones as I have been smelling the roses a whole lot while soloing so far.

One thing I really dislike though is when doing regular quests I sometimes would like to group up or start a "pug" to use a term from DDO yet I don't seem to find any way I can put up a "lfm" like in DDO that allows me to set up what classes I want, the quest I am running and level range etc.

Somehow I out leveled Mad Dragon before I had a chance to try it and I don't relish spamming the zone chat to find a group.

this feature actually is in-game. press o and then click the tab "join party". there you go!
  • jcfisher3rdjcfisher3rd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    New rule no one is allowed to call this open beta, no character wipes + cash shop = full release.
  • steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    New rule no one is allowed to call this open beta, no character wipes + cash shop = full release.

New rule: No.

Wait. That's not a rule.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • zepheazephea Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this feature actually is in-game. press o and then click the tab "join party". there you go!

Oh awesome. Thanks for that.

I would have missed K for queuing too if a friend hadn't told me about it. It's just so different from what I'm used to and I'm trying to learn many things at once that I miss things from time to time.

From what I've seen a lot of people are forming from zone so I suspect I'm not the only one.
    ~*~ Sparkles! ~*~

The MMO may change but the inventory tetris stays the same.
    edited May 2013

I explained further what I wanted and meant in my 2nd post , there you go!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    biggest issue I have with grouping atm is the game's inability to automatically fill an empty spot. Perhaps someone DCs and you can't get them back or you had to kick and unruly player.....whatever the reason, afterwards you're stuck four manning it.

Keep in mind this game has a soft trinity going for it. A healer technically isn't required for the lower level dungeons nor the higher dungeons but keep in mind as well into the later levels, as with most MMOs, trying to pug those and then their epic counterparts is an exercise in frustration and one you really shouldn't subject yourself to.
    "If you're going through Hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cikala78cikala78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I am so sick of seeing this excuse, and to have it come from a Mod is just too much. The fact is, the ONLY difference between an 'open beta' and launch for a F2P MMO is the excuse. Open beta means the game is nearly ready to go, and just needs to be populated by a larger number of people at once than alpha or closed beta allows to expose bugs that a small population won't find. Having the group finder not assemble proper groups with the proper classes is NOT such a bug. Nor is the auction house ignoring the filters you set and not sorting when headings are clicked. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this game very much so far, but some of these larger 'bugs' are inexcusable for a game in the open beta stage. Is there even a release date set? A true open beta typically only lasts a couple weeks, not indefinitely, and are completely free. Open betas like this? They're just an excuse as to why things don't work right while still taking the player's money.
  • isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's a problem in pvp as well. Already done a bunch of 4v5. I really don't know why they didn't implement a way to fill in missing members.
  • glantorxglantorx Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The one problem I have with grouping is the inability of the game to keep everyone consistently in the same instance, having to transfer all the time is silly at best. In Group - automatically arrive in same instance not just in dungeons, the group should always arrive in same instance as leader no mater were the come from. And a better LFG as in DDO would be better...
  • supersaiyansonsupersaiyanson Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013

If it's beta then can we get a free respec because of how many broken skills there are? I'm stuck with a bunch of skills I put points in and they don't do a **** thing. Also no word on when all the broken mechanics of the game will be fixed and what the devs are working on besides counting the money. Looks like the game is released with a open beta name covering it.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oreoz2573 wrote: »
    biggest issue I have with grouping atm is the game's inability to automatically fill an empty spot. Perhaps someone DCs and you can't get them back or you had to kick and unruly player.....whatever the reason, afterwards you're stuck four manning it.

It's not consistent. Tonight I had to kick a player from the party and the game immediately ( < 5 seconds ) autofilled the empty spot with a new player. Maybe it depends on how far you're in to the instance?
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You are mistaken.

Cryptic and PWE have labeled it "Open Beta," however, in doing so they have redefined accepted usage. They may not be the first to attempt this, but the fact remains that many features of the current state of NW are *not* characteristic of Open Betas.

These include:

* Real, non-refundable transactions.
    * Bans for exploits.
    * Emergency patches.
    * No character wipes.
    * Gold-sellers :)

Certainly Cryptic and PWE are entitled to call it what they want, but redefining accepted usage only makes them a laughingstock. Kind of like the reception Smart would get calling the SmartCar a luxury SUV.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • castertroyt79castertroyt79 Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    Group problem like this exist in all MMO...once you're in a dungeon or a raid, it is very hard to change the composition. This game provides you with a landing page where you can queue without needing to put effort into creating a party. This convenience comes at a cost that op mentions. I personally don't think there exist an fix for people who leaves early.

If you want a quality group, put in the effort to shouting LFG/LFM in the zone chat, or be social and join a guild.
  • cetra07cetra07 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No beta price for a beta game? Love the $10 respec when the power/feats are bugged.
    edited May 2013
    Group problem like this exist in all MMO...once you're in a dungeon or a raid, it is very hard to change the composition. This game provides you with a landing page where you can queue without needing to put effort into creating a party. This convenience comes at a cost that op mentions. I personally don't think there exist an fix for people who leaves early.

If you want a quality group, put in the effort to shouting LFG/LFM in the zone chat, or be social and join a guild.

There is no reason it has to be like this, seriously go try out DDO's lfm panel. As to this comment here, "If you want a quality group, put in the effort to shouting LFG/LFM in the zone chat, or be social and join a guild." what lmao?

Having to shout out and spam the zone chat to get a "quality group" really defeats the whole purpose of a lfm system. Also whether you auto queue or shout out in zone if you accept random peeps you don't know or have run with before the quality of the group will be much like in any pug in DDO ;)

I am sorry but saying the grouping system as it is now is acceptable is like telling an alcoholic relative that it's okay to have a couple beers....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • morinoxmorinox Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    You are mistaken.

Cryptic and PWE have labeled it "Open Beta," however, in doing so they have redefined accepted usage. They may not be the first to attempt this, but the fact remains that many features of the current state of NW are *not* characteristic of Open Betas.

These include:

Certainly Cryptic and PWE are entitled to call it what they want, but redefining accepted usage only makes them a laughingstock. Kind of like the reception Smart would get calling the SmartCar a luxury SUV.

Clearly you have not played a lot of betas.

* Real, non-refundable transactions.

That's because they kill two birds in one stone. 1: They can test the cash shop's functionality. 2: They can make money from stupid people that actually can't wait to empty their pockets into the cash shop.
    * Bans for exploits.

Bans for exploits happens in all stages, closed beta or open beta. There's no rule stating that you can't ban someone in a beta, and there's no developer out there who'd let people exploit bugs in their game, regardless of the beta stages. You agree to an EULA and TOS which specifically states that your account can be terminated if you're caught cheating/exploiting. Get your head on straight.
    * Emergency patches.

This is probably the thing that gives you away in terms of being ignorant and clueless when it comes to how alpha/betas work and why developers even do alpha and beta tests.

During any beta phase, the developers can choose to take down the servers to do emergency maintenance as well as other maintenance whenever they see fit, as that's standard procedure for developers when their game is in a closed or open beta phase. In fact, they can do so without even giving you a heads up about it. If you've played other betas, then that is something that you agreed to when you sign up for the beta. Report bugs, and other issues, so that the full release has less of it.
    * No character wipes.

No character wipes is standard procedure for F2P mmorpgs in open betas. It's different for P2P mmorpg's since they do a 100% wipe before going into the launch phase.
    * Gold-sellers :)

There were gold sellers in every mmorpg beta i've been beta testing, even in closed betas. You will never get an mmorpg free of them, regardless of which stage the game is in after alpha.
    "For in this modern world, the instruments of warfare are not solely for waging war. Far more importantly, they are the means for controlling peace..."

~Admiral Arleigh Burke~
    edited May 2013
    morinox wrote: »
    Clearly you have not played a lot of betas.

Clearly you don't know me at all. I've probably conducted more betas than you've played.
    That's because they kill two birds in one stone. 1: They can test the cash shop's functionality. 2: They can make money from stupid people that actually can't wait to empty their pockets into the cash shop.

"Stupid people." Hmm.

You don't get to redefine industry terms just because you might make money off of people thereby.
    Bans for exploits happens in all stages, closed beta or open beta. There's no rule stating that you can't ban someone in a beta, and there's no developer out there who'd let people exploit bugs in their game, regardless of the beta stages. You agree to an EULA and TOS which specifically states that your account can be terminated if you're caught cheating/exploiting. Get your head on straight.

Wrong. Unless it's something like account hacking, there's no reason to ban someone for exploiting in beta. One of the major points of closed and open betas is to find bugs and exploits. If someone exploits, who cares. Give them a cookie for finding the exploit and put the fix in for the next cycle.
    This is probably the thing that gives you away in terms of being ignorant and clueless when it comes to how alpha/betas work and why developers even do alpha and beta tests.

During any beta phase, the developers can choose to take down the servers to do emergency maintenance as well as other maintenance whenever they see fit, as that's standard procedure for developers when their game is in a closed or open beta phase. In fact, they can do so without even giving you a heads up about it. If you've played other betas, then that is something that you agreed to when you sign up for the beta. Report bugs, and other issues, so that the full release has less of it.

And you think I don't know anything about betas? In a beta, you don't do emergency maintenance for exploits, because exploits don't matter. You only do them for server stability issues, and possibly not even then. You're doing beta to fix as many bugs as you can pre-launch, as expeditiously as possible. Having an emergency patch to fix balance/exploit issues disrupts the team and is *not* in the best interests of beta, which is why companies avoid doing them in real betas.
    No character wipes is standard procedure for F2P mmorpgs in open betas. It's different for P2P mmorpg's since they do a 100% wipe before going into the launch phase.

Thus reversing the order of the cart and horse. F2P MMORPG don't get to redefine "open beta." That's the point. Beta is a testing phase. Character wipes are implied.
    There were gold sellers in every mmorpg beta i've been beta testing, even in closed betas. You will never get an mmorpg free of them, regardless of which stage the game is in after alpha.

Really. Because there weren't in this one.

I've done you the courtesy of responding civilly even though you decided to insult me three times. If you can't do the same, just ignore me, as I assure you I'll be doing the same to you.
  • morinoxmorinox Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Clearly you don't know me at all. I've probably conducted more betas than you've played.

Highly doubt you have, unless you've played betas since 1999.

"Stupid people." Hmm.

You don't get to redefine industry terms just because you might make money off of people thereby.

Noone's redefining any industry term.

Wrong. Unless it's something like account hacking, there's no reason to ban someone for exploiting in beta. One of the major points of closed and open betas is to find bugs and exploits. If someone exploits, who cares. Give them a cookie for finding the exploit and put the fix in for the next cycle.

Phew, i thought you were smart, but i guess the light was only flickering before dying out.
    And you think I don't know anything about betas? In a beta, you don't do emergency maintenance for exploits, because exploits don't matter. You only do them for server stability issues, and possibly not even then. You're doing beta to fix as many bugs as you can pre-launch, as expeditiously as possible. Having an emergency patch to fix balance/exploit issues disrupts the team and is *not* in the best interests of beta, which is why companies avoid doing them in real betas.

One of the major points of closed and open betas is to find bugs and exploits
    ->

<-
    because exploits don't matter
    ->

<-
    You're doing beta to fix as many bugs as you can pre-launch
    ->

<-
    And you think I don't know anything about betas?

Contradict much? No, in fact you only strengthened by believe that you don't know anything about betas.
    Thus reversing the order of the cart and horse. F2P MMORPG don't get to redefine "open beta." That's the point. Beta is a testing phase. Character wipes are implied.

Yes, if the game was a P2P mmorpg, character wipes are implied, in fact hey state it on their forums for the clueless. This is not a P2P mmorpg, and as they conduct cash shop testing as well, trying to see the spendingwill of the players prior to launch, they can't do character wipes as that would be considered scamming. I know they could've done things a bit differently with the cash shop, i.e provided us with unlimited supply of AD and beta ZEN to test their store, thus enabling them to do a full wipe before transitioning into full release and re-send the founder packs upon release. But they didn't, and you're in no position to tell a developer how to run their beta phases.

I've done you the courtesy of responding civilly even though you decided to insult me three times. If you can't do the same, just ignore me, as I assure you I'll be doing the same to you.

I reply in a civil manner in most cases, but tell me, where did i insult you? By disagreeing with you? If that's what you meant, then i've probably insulted you more times than i can count on both hands.
    "For in this modern world, the instruments of warfare are not solely for waging war. Far more importantly, they are the means for controlling peace..."

~Admiral Arleigh Burke~
  • trylleskoventrylleskoven Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Really sorry to say it morinox... but you dont look to smart in your posts in this tread.