test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Feedback] Suggestions What to Add/Change in the Foundry.

Comments

• Options
    xdcc321xdcc321 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is my idea to add to the list.

Be able change/add/remove environment effects and link them to the story. (ie. I made a scenario that requires the player to interact with a crystal and want to open a 'portal'. When I set the portal on the map, it stays visible even when you start it, I want it only visible after the crystal is used. (when I set an interact with object that I can hide , all the effects under 'effects' just are not what I am looking for. I want to use the graphics and abilities of the portal transition)

On top of that I would like to change the environment to 'sync' with the portal (I open the portal and the sky changes color and maybe add a thunder sound affect at that point) But I only want the effect to happen after the portal is open, not before.
  • Options
    nodensnttnodensntt Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The ability to use existing maps in the Foundry as templates. Right now if you want a custom map you have to make one from scratch. It would help productivity if you could edit an existing map that has similar layout for what you have in mind. Right now the only thing you can do with existing maps is add objects to them. You can not edit/remove existing objects and structure.

Implementation wise, the should be an option to "Create a new map from template". Then you could use an existing cavern map for example and edit it accordingly to fit your theme, tweaking its structure. This would halve the amount time you need to create a good custom map from scratch.
  • Options
    schidooshschidoosh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Excellent work so far, forien69!

Here are a few more I've noticed from some Foundry'ing, last night.

Portals

- The direction the portal faces in the editor should be the same direction the "front" side of the portal (not the edge) faces in the game.

- Either place the player in front of a portal exit in the direction its facing, or allow us to decouple the player's "arrival point" from the portal's rotation, within some distance from the portal.

- Add "appear/disappear" options to portals, with the option to apply it to one or both portals. A portal that does not have a visible portal exit cannot be used by the player until the portal exit becomes visible.

Doors

- When rooms are placed in custom maps allow authors to remove the "barrier" where the doors are supposed to go. This way we can add our own custom doors, rather than having to use the default doors (that may not match the style), or having the Foundry place the default transition door (that stone brick monstrosity) between two areas of differing styles, like the crypts and caves.

- Allow doors that aren't connecting two rooms to be interactable/opened. Maybe I want a door way into a black abyss? Or a custom hallway between two rooms?

Room Lighting

- Go through all the large cave rooms and increase the Y position of all the spellplague ground effects. They are buried in the ground and appear as blue glowing stone that is smoking. No spellplague cracks are visible for a lot of the rooms.

- Add blue crystal and spellplague lighting as options for all of the cave rooms.

- Add red crystal lighting (and detail assets) for all of the cave rooms, considering there is already a special large cave room that is composed of red crystals.

Text

- Allow us to change the colour of text in the dialogue windows without changing the font size, like with [MissionInfo]. Simple tags like [red]I could be evil text.[/red], [blue]I'm what ghosts say.[/blue], [green]I'm what an Ent would say.[/green], etc. So we can highlight certain information in the text, or simulate conversations between multiple NPCs using colour.
    [Click on the quest for additional information]
    (Q) Stronghold by the Sea
  • Options
    ferventfervent Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    Ok, so I do have a lot I would like to recommend, butmost of it has already been said. So here is my biggest issue: When making themaps everything has to be so linier because you can't have multiple transitionsfrom the same map. For example, I'm finishing a quest called "Shadow of a Minotaur",it'll still be a fun quest, but nothing compared to what it should have been.The quest was designed to comprise of 75 maps with an equal number oftransition doors so that even when going the "wrong way" over andover it didn't get boring, but it ended up with 9 maps and I had to useteleports around the same map in place of "incorrect" doors. I don'tknow how well I explained that, but I think you guys getit. It would also be nice to see the chestsat the end scale depending on difficulty and kill count.
  • Options
    nadaclosnadaclos Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Make the Foundry available OFFLINE, seriously, I often expend more time in the foundry than in the game itself, but when the server is down i cant do anything. Foundry offline should be the best way to expend time when the server is down
  • Options
    zaodanzaodan Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Need "Fog of War" for "searching" type maps.
  • Options
    aerroneaerrone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    first i want to say i love the foundry i'm working on my second build getting a bit moor creative this time

a few things i find annoying

one is if you build a floor or bridge if its off the ground you can not put any npc or port hole on it

it is not Sean as a solid object the only way to get a npc to walk on it is if it starts on ground lvl and add a patrol path

i think this could be easier to deal with if you could move npc encounter port holes or any thing when you r playing in 3d editing mode

also when you walking if you target that block you will fall threw it tell you reset 3d mode someone advised

som kind of fly option for editing i think this would be good idea

i also have noticed dungeons with multiple levels is a problem same problem cant put things up there

i also do agree that hard option for encounters just is not enough we need bigger badder bosses please add a boss list or a way to create a custom boss and Moor adjustable difficulty and some special attacks or somthing

o also the final chest reward you cant make it appear when a boss is beat just lame to me that its always visible
    i think the option for visibility should apply to all objects including portholes i really wish i could make a port open up after killing a boss

levers need to be ad ed but i did find you can use items like chains and have them act like a lever that's cool

i really wish any npc could be made to be aggressive and fight i mean why can i create a special looking encounter he shows up as custom but when i want to use it again i have to recreate it

because npc is only for interacting with and cant make them fight

i have had the foundry freeze many times lose courser and have to force a hole computer restart

o ya i almost forgot sometimes when building a custom map you can not line the doors up properly i'm not shuersher if its possible but may be if you could change the size of the room would help or if map poesies over lapped it dint mater and just placed the door there

yes defintly need to be able to retuern to a map if you want
  • Options
    passivchickenpassivchicken Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Greetings, all!

First and foremost, I would like to be able to better customize encounters, or at least have a 'boss' box that I could click to make an enemy stronger than they otherwise would be. Specific stat changes would be very much appreciated - the toolset could simply not allow their health to fall below a certain point, so the only direction to take them is up. I cannot see any way for folks to abuse this, unless they want to make the enemies so powerful that no one ever plays their maps.

Second, I would love to see dragons, beholders and other high-level foes available for use in the Foundry. I have written out a very detailed story that involves dragons, so much so that I cannot create it without them. I understand that there is a threat of people abusing this for experience, but here is my answer to it: missions go through a 'test' period after being published where no experience is gained for it (besides completion and the reward at the end) and players can just roll through to see how it is and give feedback, flagging it if it is obviously made solely to exploit. If someone is caught trying to exploit the system they are, after all, ruining it for everyone else, and they can be banned from releasing Foundry missions for a time. My second idea is this: have a Foundry tier system. Once the user has been known to make reliable missions with no exploits, they are allowed access to these more fantastic creatures, namely, wyrms and beholders. This would take more time to script out this system, however, and I am unsure if Cryptic wants to invest any time into the Foundry. As it is one of the game's major selling points, I honestly hope that they take the wise choice to pay it some heed.

Finally, I think that we would all like to see some more actual role-playing options. For conversation options in "if-then" situations, why not have Ability, Race, Gender, Prestige Class and Background checks as well?

If the player is an Elf, they receive this response from the NPC, or If your charisma is this high, you can say this, etc. This should go without saying. This is a Dungeons&Dragons title (or, at least, is a distant relative). As we are upon the subject, why not address the issue of Skill checks? I thoroughly understand that giving Foundry creators free reign over treasure in missions will surely end in tears, but finding random bags on the floor or boxes that you can only open when you have this Skill, it feels fantastic and lets the players feel like their choice to be a class meant something. Yes, it is loot, but you could enable only a certain amount of these to be placed per zone. Or even more simply, sit back and allow the players to do it for you in the flagging system described previously.

These handful of changes I am convinced will improve the Foundry exponentially.

With much respect,

Passive Chicken
    "Goodnight, sweet prince, and flights of angels see thee to thy rest."
  • Options
    idbrainidbrain Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would like to see a way top make optional type objectives that only become active when you do something (similar to the visible options most items have). It would be a way for us to implement pseudo sub quests in the UGC.
    The Wondering Minstrel - Short Code: NW-DHUX5C7GC
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    We should be able to manipulate traps with the 3D editor this would make placement of traps so much easier. Unless I'm missing something I never get the boxes on traps or doors only detail objects.
  • Options
    slapthathogslapthathog Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    aerrone wrote: »
    one is if you build a floor or bridge if its off the ground you can not put any npc or port hole on it

it is not Sean as a solid object the only way to get a npc to walk on it is if it starts on ground lvl and add a patrol path

This is interesting. Because of the way the foundry loads NPCs and objects, you have to set your Y axis to approx 1 foot above floating objects like bridges and (you mentioned 2nd level of multi level caves and such). So go to your 2nd level cave drop an object, check it's properties and look at the Y axis, then you know how high the floor is in that spot. Place your NPC 1 foot above that and it will drop right where you want it. Yes it might be annoying to manually edit the location of objects and NPCs on the Y axis but it is doable.

On your floor and bridge issues make sure you know what the settings are on both NPC and the bridge. Example: if i have the NPC set to spawn immediately and start a patrol, and the bridge only pops when a marker is reached, the NPC will never land on the bridge :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jiving too!"

Dungeon: Power of the Loc-Nar
    Author: @Merryblues
    Short Code: NW-DCPWC4FTI
    Average Duration: 23 min
    Forum Link: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?282392-Power-of-the-Loc-Nar
  • Options
    lordkinyonlordkinyon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Group creation/editing of quest. Have a friend help you decorate/create the adventures.
  • Options
    powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fix the end user search
    Fix reporting so that you have to say why you quit rather than completed the quest
    Fix the search so that you can find quest that meet your choices, and haven't played yet
    Fix the sound
    Fix the maps so that they show more than rock on rock or gloom on gloom...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Would also be nice to give the ability for player to submit quest bugs as the find them instead of relying on them to remember when they leave a review if they do leave one and don't bail out of the quest early. I would add a button to the mini map beside the exit area button.
  • Options
    geopenguingeopenguin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    Methinks there should be an abort at the spawn point. I just went into someone's quest and it was a trap. Loaded with monsters in the first room.
    Also, there should be a way to review these items, because you cannot finish them off (no god mode in real time).
    Last, give us a notification when our quests are live so that we can try them out live (is not the same as debug mode), and allows us to see if everything really works.
    Quest: KLUDO
    Author: @GEOPENGUIN
    Short Code: NW-DAX6SQH8U
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    We also could use a summon custom item in preview mode so we don't have to go through the whole quest every time to test one little thing.
  • Options
    ixsparixspar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't have changes to offer up for the Foundry itself at the moment since I'm just beginning. However, the foundry forums need some serious love. Sections for mapping, encounters, dialogues, items, and npc's would be a great start. The way it is set up now is pretty chaotic.

Currently, the best way to find something is to use the search feature, and that's great when I'm looking for a specific thing. But when I'm looking to see the various solutions presented for maps, perusing all the pages is a bit tedious. It would be much more useful to have separate sub-forums for each of these areas.
  • Options
    moristinmoristin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know it's already listed in the OP, but being able to add a chest and kits ( I think 1 chest and 2 kits would be fair for most adventures) would help with exploration. The chance that there might be a chest at the end of a path would encourage adventurers to go off the beaten path. "The quest says go this way, but whats down that path? Perhaps some loot?" Right now you can create a side path, but without a reason to go there some players may just ignore it and others get frustrated thinking they wasted time for nothing.
  • Options
    moristinmoristin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    geopenguin wrote: »
    Last, give us a notification when our quests are live so that we can try them out live (is not the same as debug mode), and allows us to see if everything really works.

Just wanted to say that I've gotten an in game mail anytime my quest goes live after I publish it. Even tells you how long it took to publish and includes all the information, code/name.
  • Options
    austinacxaustinacx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    3D Editing

Allow us to move around objects while inspect mode. (default hotkey B)
  • Options
    maxwelsilvermaxwelsilver Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 48
    edited May 2013
    Add mimics, with customizable behavior, so I can make sure my party stays in shape. (like the ones in Cragmire crypt, which don't give a clue as to what they really are) Opps! that would be obvious, (being the only chest that's open able) mean adding chests as well, (formula is: chest = 10ft within attack radius of a Boss mob (above hard) someone else suggested) make it a sticky, with no blockages allowed (walls, doors, etc) to prevent exploiting. Make it a package deal, so if you place a boss, you get a chest to place as well. (similar to the multi-shot dart traps) I would like to see traps do a whole lot more damage as well. A really powerful triggered trap should damage a party member, or a group for over half their hit points, or cause conditions which can't be healed easily. (minor/major injuries) IMHO.

Give us the tools to make epic adventures!!!

Oh, and slideable walls, movable rocks, and the like (animation for secret rooms) would be a boon as well. I have one dungeon with an epic battle between guards and encounters which the party helps to turn the tide, and could find no sound object for the sounds of sword clashing battle which would have been nice for the storyline.

Oh, and please make a toggle for being able to turn on/off view for maps! I don't want my victims... I mean party members to know what's coming! I want them to be in the dark, and have to use their wits!

Thanks, and great job!
  • Options
    mangofoxmangofox Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I support all of your ideas.
    I am in love with the foundry but at times it has me wanting to throw my computer out the window.
    Some things I have noticed are:

The tavern 'room' has some random lighting that has no source when the lighting is set to 'windows'.
    I will occasionally get random crashing quickly requiring file verification.
    The tavern 'room' has no 'no lighting' option.
    Some of the other 'rooms' still have remnants of props that can not be moved or removed.
    The 2-D map tends to be blurry and it is hard to distinguish windows, doors, and other such things.

Some ideas I had were:

Give us more features revolving around visiblity, perhaps optional colour coding and overlapping grid for those who enjoy working on a grid without any snaps.

Choice to set light radius and radius/spread

(Already stated) Give us skill nodes!
  • Options
    toolboxclerictoolboxcleric Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So am I understanding this right that you can't have a map with multiple exits to other maps? This needs to be changed. How is linear any fun?
  • Options
    sierrebrarcsierrebrarc Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nvm I found the solution.
  • Options
    thesabotenderthesabotender Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh, and slideable walls, movable rocks, and the like (animation for secret rooms) would be a boon as well.
    I want this too! Like the Cragmire Crypts dungeon and the Wolf Den dungeon, with the bridges that move into place.
    Also on that note, the "invisible" walls from Cragmire, that fade when you get close :D
    Oh, and please make a toggle for being able to turn on/off view for maps! I don't want my victims... I mean party members to know what's coming! I want them to be in the dark, and have to use their wits!
    I havent tried, but I noticed that "Depthfade Black" is visible on my map... you could try having them placed above the ceiling to conceal the room on your map...
  • Options
    gemstrikegemstrike Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The ability to respond to comments. There's several rather misinformed comments that I would like to respond to, and a few insightful ones that I'd like to be able to say thanks to as well.

Foundry Author! Check out @gemstrike to see my quests :)
    Want to make your own? Then watch my videos.
    New Videos
    Old Videos
  • Options
    andysdead1andysdead1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm highly disappointed with the encounter options. I'm trying to make a campaign that culminates in a fight with a dragon, and of course, much to my dismay, there is no dragon available!

So, I concur with those who've suggested single monster boss encounters with epic enemies such as dragons. I mean, come on! It's Dungeons & DRAGONS, after all!
  • Options
    coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The ability to create a "torch" object, so that you can create a true "dark dungeon" for the player to wander within that makes the player their own light source. This way they have the light of a dynamic torch that already exists, it's attached to an item you can have them interact to receive, and it moves with the player.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • Options
    thesabotenderthesabotender Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Something i just realised would be great.

Destroyable objects
    Basicly select any "detail" object, and let it be destroyed, i.e. have a health bar.
    No loot (except optional quest item), no xp. Can be used as an objective (or not)
    Also have a similar to "component complete" so we can have things happen once it is destroyed.

Perhaps do this as an encounter that lets you select object instead of costume
    (as "component complete" trigger allready works on encounters)
  • Options
    mahado2mahado2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Idea to improve loot and difficulty of Foundry:

*Difficulty gauge that changes according to the changes that player modify his NPC*

Gauge would consist of creature hp/spells + how strong spells and if it has adds spawning during the fight( they could be linked to boss unit ). If health is too low then the gauge will not go above a certain point nor if spells are too weak, or if adds are too weak or if there isn't enough adds. In order to reach RED gauge, you would have to create unit equal to boss within dungeons. Of course there is differences within RED gauge too, lowest RED gauge point would be way different from highest RED gauge point.

[GRAY] [GREEN] [RED]
    Simple looking gauge: I
    I
    I--->--I (arrow is the point where I set difficulty in this "example")

Of course if this was implemented, Neverwinter staff would have to think realistic standards for each gauge point and allow players to modify creature health to certain degree at least (note, that you can't cap this gauge with health alone). In order to reach RED gauge, you would have to create creature that has pretty high hp and certain amount of spells that deal considerable amount of damage. Also, if adds could be linked to boss units, they would increase its gauge level.

And what is best about this: You would get better loot according to gauge point.