test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly of Neverwinter

shepherdofmanshepherdofman Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So I've been playin since day 1 OBT. Been 60 for awhile ran T1's and T2's so whatever. I've pretty much done everything there is to do on this game currently. Which is fine, it's fresh OBT so there's not a lot of content.. But If you are checking forums to see if you should or should not play this game, or spend money on it, here are some compiled OPINIONS of mine on why you should, or should not, play Neverwinter.

The Good!

- Great Graphics
- Lots of Guild customization
- Tons of Dungeons and bosses which while may not all be unique, can still be pretty difficult.
- Pretty great Character Customization. One of the most diverse I've yet to see.
- Tons of quests and mini-games in every map. Relic finder, spy catcher, etc etc which give useful rewards
- While not every skill or feat is useful, there are tons of abilities to make your character exactly how you want it
- It is actually pretty easy to make Astral Diamonds in game, meaning with effort you can get whatever you want and never have to spend a dime on the game. If that's how you roll I mean.

The Bad!

- Tons of bugs.
- Almost daily or twice a day server maintenance or outage so expect being interrupted at random times
- Closed beta was a joke so they have a lot to fix, don't expect much content update for awhile
- Using the Queue system for most epic dungeons is almost guaranteed to end in failing the dungeon.
- Auction House filter hardly works at all
- A lot of the gear is repetitive. It looks the same or just crappy. While this changes at 60 and with dye options, expect to look like a **** for awhile.
- New game with tons of character options = not everyone knows what the heck they're doing. Expect noobs

The Ugly

- Cryptic/PWE are known for being incredibly greedy with cash shop and betas. PWI being perfect example of cash shop pay2win, and the fact that NW had a few lousey closed beta weekends for people to try things out on. You can see the fruit of their labor with all these constant down times we have. They rushed it so people would start spending money on the name D&D.

- The player base is horrible. There are some legit people don't get me wrong but there are lots of people who abuse the current system for their own personal gain, and or just to grief another player. Pvp AFK teams, Pvp Kickers, groups of muters, ninja looters, it just gets on your nerves eventually. Best to find a solid group of people by level 60 to run everything with.

- Never expect a ticket or GM request to be responded too any time soon. I once submitted a ticket to PWI, then eventually i quit the game and a month + later I got a response. Also ignore people on the NW Facebook/Twitter who praise them for keeping them updated when the servers go down.. They act like it's a godsend when they've never actually experienced a real customer service team in MMORPG's.
~They are Lions, and I am their Shepherd~
Post edited by shepherdofman on

Comments

• john242424john242424 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought Clint Eastwood was going to be in this thread? Dang!
    Frosted Lucky Charms are Magically Delicious!
  • tangmanpwnstangmanpwns Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nice summary
  • shepherdofmanshepherdofman Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I should of put up a picture of him dang..
  • yupp99yupp99 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    There are a lot of good things about the game.My biggest beef is the companions.The companions only level to what 15-30.To be honest D2/Lods were better because you could gear them up.Slap on some runeword gear and they were great.The AH is another thing.Setting the level.Hopefully it gets fixed.I know there are other problems such as you posted.The bottom line is the good out weights the bad.I think given time improvements will come about and the game will really shine.It is still a Beta even with a cash shop.
    edited May 2013
    I should of put up a picture of him dang..

Now I have that theme song stuck in my head. Thanks a lot...lol
  • thehuntress#2050 thehuntress Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
  • liontriadliontriad Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only gripe I have with the game atm is having to buy bags for zen. Dont get me wrong, I understand the game needs to make money. But bag space is kind of a sore spot to charge money for since its so essential to game play. Mounts and gear are one thing, bag space is almost like breathable air, its a requirement.
  • coryb77coryb77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The Bad!

- Closed beta was a joke so they have a lot to fix, don't expect much content update for awhile

You must not have played other cryptic games. Broken/unfinished content has never stopped them from releasing more newer broken/unfinished content. haha

Joking aside I feel confident that, like other Cryptic F2P games, I can run through the game and never have to drop a dime on it and still manage get a fulfilling experience from it. Sure the Zen store can be a cash grab but their model never stops you from enjoying the game on a broke man's budget. I don't feel limited when I play like I do when I play SWTOR or something.
  • freetosprayedfreetosprayed Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On the topic of arguing. I'm tired of getting a 24 hour silence because people don't like my opinion on certain aspects of the game. It's bull**** that a community can just silence someone because they don't like what they're saying. I understand why this mechanic is in the game. To keep chat spam to a minimum since every Instance of the same Zone shares the same chat!! To keep gold spammers from filling chat with useless information, but there's no reason to have this in the game to silence community players for saying what they want. There's an ignore function if you don't like what someone is saying.
  • coryb77coryb77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    liontriad wrote: »
    The only gripe I have with the game atm is having to buy bags for zen. Dont get me wrong, I understand the game needs to make money. But bag space is kind of a sore spot to charge money for since its so essential to game play. Mounts and gear are one thing, bag space is almost like breathable air, its a requirement.

Pretty much every F2P games charges for extra inventory space. At least they give you a bank and a separate crafting item section. Would be nice to have a high level craftable bag that you can only equip one of so there is a bit of a middle ground though.
  • myth1184myth1184 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to agree, customer service in this game is a joke...if it even exist
    edited May 2013
    Oh yeah. Not a single dime was given. Money is not necessary for this game unless you're just a lazy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and buy all your T2+ gear from other people.. Even Bags.. Don't need em at 60. If I pick it up it either goes on AH or NPC. Even a lot of purples i treat that way. I use PvP gear cause the T1 sucks and T2 gear doesn't seem better. What's the point of getting more Power if I lose Armor Penetration. I won't hit harder that way :\
    edited May 2013
    Fact. A guild of players could mute every single person who uses zone chat thus effectively making the game unplayable since no one can communicate. I'd have my guild do it, but chances are PWE would just ban us then go about their daily not giving a hoot while others abuse it to a smaller scale.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    - Pretty great Character Customization. One of the most diverse I've yet to see.

The character customization, at least for a Cryptic game, is horrid. Seriously, fire up CO or STO. Once you pick your jaw off the ground and have wasted several hours making a single character. Come back here and tell me NW isnt a disappointment.
  • xydrelxydrel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    The character customization, at least for a Cryptic game, is horrid. Seriously, fire up CO or STO. Once you pick your jaw off the ground and have wasted several hours making a single character. Come back here and tell me NW isnt a disappointment.

100% agree. This doesn't come close to STO's char creation system.
  • oddwin1oddwin1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know what you are saying as far as tickets go..

I bought 20x Nightmare keys, Opened 20x Boxes.

Listed about 500k+ AD worth of items on the AH.

Game patched..

All Auctions are gone, No mail.

I lost $25 to PWE.

It was a struggle to spend money on this game in the first place. But I felt like I couldn't do a full review of the game if I didn't at least see if the Nightmare chest stuff was worth it. (I am here to tell you .. it's NOT.)

Anyways. I have filed a report at the better business bureau and they have informed me that they are starting to get a huge influx of complaints about services NOT rendered by the company. (I would suggest that ANYONE struggling to get anywhere with PWE file an official complaint. with the BBB. If they are going to dodge about and ignore customer complaints, and or blatantly steal our money .. they WILL be shut down.) I have used the BBB in the past and although I will NOT get into details .. I will say that the outcome was VERY beneficial.. AND .. as a company .. you DO NOT want an official investigation from the BBB on your record.

I guess I will have to wait a month of 2 for PWE to tell me they can't do anything about it..

(I would like to at least get my Zen refunded. Or something.. (You can't tell me they don't keep records of what sells on AH...)

For those of you who would like to file an official complaint you can get started here.

http://www.bbb.org/

*Edit* This post has been documented AND included as a follow up to my current complaint through the BBB in the event that PWE/Cryptic attempt to "disappear" this post.. as they tend to do with anyone who stands up for their rights as a consumer.
    edited May 2013
    ^ like a boss. I completely agree. Good luck with all that too ya know I really hope things start changing. PWE is a business and they have tens of thousands of customers, even if they don't pay into the game. Still a customer. Customer's have rights and there are laws protecting our rights.
  • hardway01hardway01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    BBB can't shutdown a company. In fact all they can really do is throw support behind people who have problems with "bad" companies. However the support is far from anything that will "shutdown" a company. Its more of just a warning/approval system for companies who choose to associate with the BBB. Its more finger waging then anything else.

With that being said PWE has a history of pissing off their own customers so good luck in your endeavors.
    edited May 2013
    They do it cause people take it. Look at PWI. Rank gear should of never happened it's completely ridiculous but people bought into it like wildfire. PWI has made them so much money and let PWE know they don't have to listen to others cause there's stupid ****s who will take their BS
  • lordgrimmwoodlordgrimmwood Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tumblr_lumsbefXlQ1qm1975o1_500.gif
    there...now he's here! :D
    tumblr_mm7g22WQog1spm248o1_1280.png

My first Foundry mission, The Valley of Darkness NW-DG9DOTZLU
    edited May 2013
    Ah I love you.
  • oddwin1oddwin1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hardway01 wrote: »
    BBB can't shutdown a company. In fact all they can really do is throw support behind people who have problems with "bad" companies. However the support is far from anything that will "shutdown" a company. Its more of just a warning/approval system for companies who choose to associate with the BBB. Its more finger waging then anything else.

With that being said PWE has a history of pissing off their own customers so good luck in your endeavors.

I am sorry friend but you are wrong. The BBB will do 2 things for you.

a) They will document all of the complaints.

b) If there are enough complaints they will help to organize and execute an audit and if the company is found guilty a law suit. I know this because of the Class Action lawsuit I was involved with. (We did VERY well. I have a brand new car, and a 5k computer because I followed through on this.)

People don't think the BBB can do anything because they never follow through. You HAVE to be persistent... Just as the person above you said there is a reason the BBB exists. Learn to use it. (I would say the same about learning how to use your local News media, MLA, and Ombudsmen. They are there to help protect you, and prevent huge corporations from criminal activity and being able to just sweep it under the rug.)
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So you are complaining to an organization steeped in scandal and questionable ethics about another companies business practices.

Let me know how that works out for you.

:rolleyes:

oddwin1 wrote: »
    I know what you are saying as far as tickets go..

I bought 20x Nightmare keys, Opened 20x Boxes.

Listed about 500k+ AD worth of items on the AH.

Game patched..

All Auctions are gone, No mail.

I lost $25 to PWE.

It was a struggle to spend money on this game in the first place. But I felt like I couldn't do a full review of the game if I didn't at least see if the Nightmare chest stuff was worth it. (I am here to tell you .. it's NOT.)

Anyways. I have filed a report at the better business bureau and they have informed me that they are starting to get a huge influx of complaints about services NOT rendered by the company. (I would suggest that ANYONE struggling to get anywhere with PWE file an official complaint. with the BBB. If they are going to dodge about and ignore customer complaints, and or blatantly steal our money .. they WILL be shut down.) I have used the BBB in the past and although I will NOT get into details .. I will say that the outcome was VERY beneficial.. AND .. as a company .. you DO NOT want an official investigation from the BBB on your record.

I guess I will have to wait a month of 2 for PWE to tell me they can't do anything about it..

(I would like to at least get my Zen refunded. Or something.. (You can't tell me they don't keep records of what sells on AH...)

For those of you who would like to file an official complaint you can get started here.

http://www.bbb.org/

*Edit* This post has been documented AND included as a follow up to my current complaint through the BBB in the event that PWE/Cryptic attempt to "disappear" this post.. as they tend to do with anyone who stands up for their rights as a consumer.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited May 2013

YES!!!!! It's on now!!!!:)
  • wolfel1wolfel1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On the topic of arguing. I'm tired of getting a 24 hour silence because people don't like my opinion on certain aspects of the game. It's bull**** that a community can just silence someone because they don't like what they're saying. I understand why this mechanic is in the game.

Indeed. Any system that allows players to punish other players with no GM intervention is, without exception, going to be abused.
    edited May 2013
    wolfel1 wrote: »
    Indeed. Any system that allows players to punish other players with no GM intervention is, without exception, going to be abused.

Ding ding ding
  • freetosprayedfreetosprayed Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wolfel1 wrote: »

Yes, and it happens on a daily basis. That's why I'm here on the forums. Just because I've got some negative things to say about PWE doesn't mean I should be silenced.

Look I know 20$ isn't THAT much, but it's my money. I want my founders pack that I've sent PWE 4 e-mails explaining to them that I don't have. Yet they insist that it's attatched to my account and that I've received the items I had bought. I'll tell you right now that I haven't. Even items in-game that are sold and purchased through the AH get lost. PWE's only excuse is they haven't written any code to prevent items from being deleted when your bags are full. WHAT DA FUQ?!
  • screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Meh, just not as cool without the empty chair. :/
  • lordgrimmwoodlordgrimmwood Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How we see it:
    5cc4c_anigif_enhanced-buzz-30782-1346384989-2.gif

How he see's it:
    Y6AJQ-1.gif
    tumblr_mm7g22WQog1spm248o1_1280.png