test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

dungen queuing

layol692k7layol692k7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
First of all I am not sure where to put this so I will just post it in general.

Who has ever qued for an epic dungen went in and there was 5 dps no tank no healer? I have tried to complete the daily dungen dread vaults for like 3 days with no luck. I think this would be a great idea and make people stay online and play longer.

Make like a role requirement like say in WoW dungen finder there is always a tank a healer and 3 dps. I know it was bad to compare neverwinter with WoW but it is the only comparison I can think of atm.
Post edited by layol692k7 on

Comments

• dagurasudagurasu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A role check would be fantastic. You have the trinity, you have HM content which very clearly revolves around it(sans astral shield stacking, which is something else altogether), and yet you have a queue system in which it doesn't check whether or not the rolls have been met, so a fair bit of parties just fall apart right away because the content isn't doable because you just got paird with 4 other DPS, or no cleric / GF.
  • layol692k7layol692k7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dagurasu wrote: »
    A role check would be fantastic. You have the trinity, you have HM content which very clearly revolves around it(sans astral shield stacking, which is something else altogether), and yet you have a queue system in which it doesn't check whether or not the rolls have been met, so a fair bit of parties just fall apart right away because the content isn't doable because you just got paird with 4 other DPS, or no cleric / GF.

I get really frustrated with this since i decided not to pvp unless I decide to roll a rogue or cleric for obvious reasons. but yeah i kind of makes having a que points less and people send you nasty tells when you kick them. and if you kick enough people no one will que in lol
  • lechirolechiro Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I might be new to the game,
    But I see companions are able to take over some of the roles, I've tanked with 3 other ppl having tanking companions and in the end i was only doing damage and feeling useless :P
    I wonder if there was some way in the queue mechanic to arrange parties randomly and rely mostly on companions. the tanking one seems to hold threat very well :)
    but then, i am new and i dont know much in the game :)
    edited May 2013
    lechiro wrote: »
    I might be new to the game,
    But I see companions are able to take over some of the roles, I've tanked with 3 other ppl having tanking companions and in the end i was only doing damage and feeling useless :P
    I wonder if there was some way in the queue mechanic to arrange parties randomly and rely mostly on companions. the tanking one seems to hold threat very well :)
    but then, i am new and i dont know much in the game :)

The problem with this most companions that i have seen are not smart enough (aI) to move out a boss cleave or aoe spell!
  • jdnycjdnyc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What happens is that a defender and/or leader joins the party. One of them quits. Then the other quits cause the first quits. Then the strikers/controllers stay in the party while new members are grouped up. These new members are generally strikers/controllers again. The issue lies not with the first grouping, but with what happens after a leader/defender leaves the group.
    edited May 2013
    jdnyc wrote: »
    What happens is that a defender and/or leader joins the party. One of them quits. Then the other quits cause the first quits. Then the strikers/controllers stay in the party while new members are grouped up. These new members are generally strikers/controllers again. The issue lies not with the first grouping, but with what happens after a leader/defender leaves the group.
    The role check would kick in and automatically fill the role needed wether it be heals dps or a tank it can be done blizzard perfected this after a few patchesand prob a quite a few other games also. It would make life so much easier than have to get online when all of your guildes were on. to run dungens. and as far as people quiting,It would pass leadership to another person next in line that has been in the party the longest. Also you should be able to invite other friends into the dungen wether it be guidldes or just people on your friends list.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    layol692k7 wrote: »
    The role check would kick in and automatically fill the role needed wether it be heals dps or a tank it can be done blizzard perfected this after a few patchesand prob a quite a few other games also. It would make life so much easier than have to get online when all of your guildes were on. to run dungens.

I agree with you. I'm only being more specific about the issue in case someone from cryptic is looking into this and wondering what the exact issue is. The point is the initial grouping works as intended. It's when someone leaves that the role/grouping gets messed up.
    edited May 2013
    I agree with you. I'm only being more specific about the issue in case someone from cryptic is looking into this and wondering what the exact issue is. The point is the initial grouping works as intended. It's when someone leaves that the role/grouping gets messed up.
    I have had problems with even the initial grouping getting 5 dps or 2 healers and 3 dps or a tank and 4 dps happens to me all the the time. If i was able to at least kill one boss every que i join would be very nice. But most groups break up before the first trash pull at least all of the ones i have been in. in my own opinion I do not think it is meant for 2 clerics to double stack their shields to complete a dungen. or for control wizards to blow boss adds or boss over a ledge!
    edited May 2013
    Just another note till the pvp gets sorted out this is what i love to do when i log in run pve content!
    edited May 2013
    I have had problems with even the initial grouping getting 5 dps or 2 healers and 3 dps or a tank and 4 dps happens to me all the the time. If i was able to at least kill one boss every que i join would be very nice. But most groups break up before the first trash pull at least all of the ones i have been in. in my own opinion I do not think it is meant for 2 clerics to double stack their shields to complete a dungen. or for control wizards to blow boss adds or boss over a ledge!

I have run quite a few dungeons now. This is what I've seen. When dungeon delves event pops I queue up. I get a group with 57 min or so left on the timer. EVERY SINGLE TIME I get a group that has a healer and/or guardian fighter. If I queue up ten minutes later into the event, this is not the case. I have stayed in groups when we lose a healer/or defender and we always seem to get a control or striker in its place. The group might be initial join for you, but next time it happens ask the other members if they just got into that group. Something tells me they will say 'no.'
    edited May 2013
    I have run quite a few dungeons now. This is what I've seen. When dungeon delves event pops I queue up. I get a group with 57 min or so left on the timer. EVERY SINGLE TIME I get a group that has a healer and/or guardian fighter. If I queue up ten minutes later into the event, this is not the case. I have stayed in groups when we lose a healer/or defender and we always seem to get a control or striker in its place. The group might be initial join for you, but next time it happens ask the other members if they just got into that group. Something tells me they will say 'no.'
    Yeah its a rarirty for me but most of the time it is usally 5 dps or a healer and 4 dps. cyptic could code somthing in there where it always makes sure there is a specific role/ roles for all 5 party members to be met! I guess I played wow for like 7 years i took it for granted all mmo games did a role check for dungen ques guess not . I do hope a Dev reads this thread
    edited May 2013
    Yeah its a rarirty for me but most of the time it is usally 5 dps or a healer and 4 dps. cyptic could code somthing in there where it always makes sure there is a specific role/ roles for all 5 party members to be met! I guess I played wow for like 7 years i took it for granted all mmo games did a role check for dungen ques guess not . I do hope a Dev reads this thread

Agreed. GWF can be a defender. I just don't know how many of them actually spec into that build. I wonder how the queue system would even take that into effect.
  • stauchstauch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    Make like a role requirement like say in WoW dungen finder there is always a tank a healer and 3 dps. I know it was bad to compare neverwinter with WoW but it is the only comparison I can think of atm.
    They have said that they won't go full "trinity" this game, that is require certain roles in every group.

WoW is built around always having at least one tank and one healer while NW is not, and thus not a good example imho. The closest game to NW I can think of in terms of "class roles requirements" was CoH where no specific role was required but in most cases it was a significant advantage.

The bigger issue is that the majority of people tend to go damage dealing builds/classes since in most cases they are perceived to be easier to play. The danger with going back to a forced trinity model for group compositions is that queue times for "DPS" would increase radically while tanks and support (leadership role is more than just healing) will effectively have instant queues. Hopefully this will become better once they start adding in more classes.
    edited May 2013
    Agreed. GWF can be a defender. I just don't know how many of them actually spec into that build. I wonder how the queue system would even take that into effect.
    when the person ques they would have a check box for damage tank or heals
    edited May 2013

Gotcha. I see no problem having a Defender/Striker/Controller/Leadership option.

I'm hoping as we get more classes that this will be less of an issue as well.
    The 5 classes right now we have:
    One Main Defender
    One Main Leader
    One Main Striker
    Hybrid Controller/Striker
    Hybrid Defender/Controller (even though GWF can output a lot of damage as well.)

This issue lies in player tendency and available classes. If there was one or two more Defender/Leaders available, I think that would help. *hint* *hint* Cryptic. ;)
    edited May 2013
    But yet some dungens are impossible to do without the trinity the way it is laid outand i understand the que times for dps would drastically increase. Just tell me one thing Did devs mean for people to push boss adds over a ledge or the boss himself? If it was not meant for full trinity Could you complete the last boss in the epic ver of dread vault without any healers with those shields or if no healers could you imagine taking that boss down with 5 dps?
  • stauchstauch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    So then we get them ticking tank having a full DPS specc just so they can get ahead in the queue? No thanks.

The big problem with leaving it up to the players is that it will be abused. I rather see the content tuned a bit so you can do it with a 5 person DPS team, if they know how to play smart.

Haven't been in a pure DPS team but once was in a group 4 CW and 1 cleric for epic Cragsmire, "only" 4 attempts on the final boss before he went down.
    edited May 2013
    stauch wrote: »
    So then we get them ticking tank having a full DPS specc just so they can get ahead in the queue? No thanks.

Well only defenders would be able to have that option. So GF and GWF will be able to choose that. You could tag the option to be available based on the number of feats in the paragon tree the GWF spends as well I suppose.
    edited May 2013
    But yet some dungens are impossible to do without the trinity the way it is laid outand i understand the que times for dps would drastically increase. Just tell me one thing Did devs mean for people to push boss adds over a ledge or the boss himself? If it was not meant for full trinity Could you complete the last boss in the epic ver of dread vault without any healers with those shields or if no healers could you imagine taking that boss down with 5 dps?
    At present no I don't think so, but as I said I rather see them tune the dungeons so it becomes possible rather than forcing back the trinity model.
    edited May 2013

The big problem with leaving it up to the players is that it will be abused. I rather see the content tuned a bit so you can do it with a 5 person DPS team, if they know how to play smart.

Haven't been in a pure DPS team but once was in a group 4 CW and 1 cleric for epic Cragsmire, "only" 4 attempts on the final boss before he went down.

No more than dungens are abused now blowing boss adds off a ledge or not to mention the boss itself!
    edited May 2013
    Well only defenders would be able to have that option. So GF and GWF will be able to choose that. You could tag the option to be available based on the number of feats in the paragon tree the GWF spends as well I suppose.
    It's not just feats and paragon path (once more are added) but also the basic stats. Cryptic would have to make quite a complex checker to see if ones character was "tanking capable" or not, and then extend it for any future classes that may hybridize in the same way but for other roles (primarily leadership here).

Personally I think it will do more harm than good if they bring back the trinity model, compared to just tuning the dungeons.
    edited May 2013
    No more than dungens are abused now blowing boss adds off a ledge or not to mention the boss itself!
    But that is a design flaw in that dungeon, not a flaw with the grouping system. Even if they switch to a "full" trinity model that kind a abuse will still exist, it won't do them any good by adding in another one.
    edited May 2013

Personally I think it will do more harm than good if they bring back the trinity model, compared to just tuning the dungeons.

Well I refute the trinity model concept with this game because there's four roles. But I get what you're saying:)
    Controller is VERY important in this game...vital actually. I like it that way. Something I wish more games would bring back.
    edited May 2013
    It's not just feats and paragon path (once more are added) but also the basic stats. Cryptic would have to make quite a complex checker to see if ones character was "tanking capable" or not, and then extend it for any future classes that may hybridize in the same way but for other roles (primarily leadership here).

So what most of you are saying when it comes time to que into a dungen solo by yourself and you get a 5 dps or or w/e you would rather sit there and wipe all day that have a proper group with at least one healer and one tank? Not me that is not my idea of fun. because as it stands now you can not invite people into dungens you qued for.
    edited May 2013
    But that is a design flaw in that dungeon, not a flaw with the grouping system. Even if they switch to a "full" trinity model that kind a abuse will still exist, it won't do them any good by adding in another one.

not if the devs made boss and adds where they could not be blowed off the ledge I know cryptic can if blizzard can with thier almost 10 year old game engine This game engine is alot newer and more capable of editing content than engines that are old as my grand parents lol.
    edited May 2013
    if not a trinity system why not some kind of quad system where you have control tank heals and dps that will be required to complete a dungen. control should be optional in my opinion but it seems the mass do not want trinity Idk why not it has been proven it works great. you do not have to gimp a game down to have this. I do know one thing if when the game goes final and the same problem exists I will not play it and I know it will chase a big number of people away!
    edited May 2013
    Well I refute the trinity model concept with this game because there's four roles. But I get what you're saying:)
    Controller is VERY important in this game...vital actually. I like it that way. Something I wish more games would bring back.
    From what I have read in other threads here during beta the original "Holy Trinity" came from Everquest and consisted of tank healer and controller, damage dealers where never a real part of the trinity since everyone brought at least some damage. It got warped to tank healer DPS when the control aspect got largely taken out (I guess WoW) in later years.

There is also another part to the trinity concept that would clash with the leadership role in D&D, all healers are of the leadership role but not all who has leadership as primary role are healers. So if they bring back the trinity concept then they have to make a big decision in choosing leadership or healers for the last slot (we already established tank and controller from original concept).
    edited May 2013
    not if the devs made boss and adds where they could not be blowed off the ledge I know cryptic can if blizzard can with thier almost 10 year old game engine This game engine is alot newer and more capable of editing content than engines that are old as my grand parents lol.
    I think you missed my point, those two forms of abuse are completely separate from each other and fixing one won't do anything to remedy the other.
    edited May 2013
    there is always gonna be abuse/exploits/botters/hacks but it can be cut down to a certain degree with good programing
  • grimnosh82grimnosh82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    something seriously needs to be done though, I've queued up 10 times and 9 of the times I've gotten into the dungeon... there's been 5 dps'ers. And the T1 Epic dungeons aren't really doable with 5 dps, need atleast a healer to have the slightest shot at it.
    loving the game to bits, but standing in the Enclave and spamming chat to try to get a group (which may take hours) kinda kills the fun for me. so please please.. figure out something to deal with this.