test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Heya, just wondering if there was an RP community here!

dometorresdometorres Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
The title kinda says it all, heh. I got into RP late in my WoW days, and I was thinking this game would be perfect for it... But like most mmos there is no dedicated RP haven, and the community seems small and scattered.

I haven't given up quite yet, and I was hoping there were some people somewhere on Beholder that enjoyed a bit of role play.

Any word?
Post edited by dometorres on

Comments

• nysa0709nysa0709 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I play on Dragon server and I am wondering the same thing, I went to the Moonstone Mask and it was full of people with highly offensive names I can't even type here. Along with .. the cybercrowd out to get their jollies, where is the real RP?
  • fickles2fickles2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been looking forward for it too, and while I've really enjoyed the game and will for some time I believe part of the set up for the game has taken that RP element away. For instance, what purpose is their of a thieves guild if you cant pick pockets, or assassins if you cant walk up to a mark and do them in. The game is heavily geared for PVE and as a result RP is to a large part not played. I also imagine that a large part of the community have no idea about D&D lore or previous games and wont know the RP even if it hit in the face with a brick.
  • rodginkrodgink Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    There is an RP crowd on the Mindflayer Shard, and being a stickler for RP myself (and ussually dissapointed by most MMOs) I've actually been suprised by the quality and quantity of RPers here.

Gameplay doesn't allow for great RP, but if you're willing to step out into one of the taverns for a bit on Mindflayer, you'll find someone.
  • imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here are some valuable links for anyone curious about RP in Neverwinter.

- http://www.neverwinter-rp.com
    - http://www.neverwinter-rp.com/home/m/12531279/article/1436954

The most valuable thing to keep in mind about finding RP in MMORPGs in general--and especially newer games where groups are just becoming established--is that finding good RP, and RP groups, is usually a matter of luck and patience and timing. Being in the right place at the right time. Good RP groups, even when they're not cliquish at all, will develop some degree of insularity, in the sense that there are going to be many nights when friends are off in instanced adventures together, ya'know, RPing, and nowhere to be found by curious newbies in search of RP. As one of those newbies, you'd be fooling yourself if you translated this into "there are no RPers in this game!".

There's also the golden RP rule, birds of a feather flock together. Most of the RPers I've befriended in games, I befriended them because I was RPing my character. Don't be shy about it; it's the Internet and you're totally anonymous! Be your character. This won't guarantee success on your first night in the game, but it sure will make you easier to spot.

When I first started playing a previous MMO, City of Heroes, I was lucky enough to bump into some RPers right out of the character editor, but they weren't always around. One thing I did to find RPers was stand on the big hill on Talos Island every weekend and organize "RP PUGS" (RP pick up groups). Players got used to this after several weekends, and I started getting a lot of repeat joiners.

After a while I had a healthy global list of RP friends, and we all started getting to know each other. We weren't bound by any super group, and there weren't any stuffy recruitment barriers to get through. Pretty much anyone was invited, as long as they were friendly (OOC at least). Some people weren't even RPers, they just liked to come along and listen to the rest of us, and I welcomed them with open arms; several of those folks eventually started RPing. A couple of them are still friends and we keep in touch.

Four years after I started playing, by the time City of Heroes closed, my friends list was so packed full of RPers, I was guaranteed to see ten or twenty of them online at any given time, and I only ever organized PUGs in Atlas Park just to give newbies a warm welcome to the game, straight out of the character editor.

I chuckled to myself every time I heard someone exclaim in broadcast, "There isn't any RP in this game! RP here is dead!"
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    impervium pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Mindflayer was chose as the 'unofficial' RP shard by many of the RP guilds prior to launch.

Us roleplayers are a tiny minority (gut feel, much less than 5% of players). Taverns in Protectors Enclave are the most likely place to find other roleplayers when they aren't out adventuring.

Quick suggestion, hit 'inspect' and look for character backgrounds on folks if you 'suspect' they might be a roleplayer.
  • elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    Ah great, Mindflayer is the RP server and I'm on Dragon. :(

Servers will eventually merge.

Same locations on Dragon tho, and likely RP folks there too.
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    elawyn wrote: »
    Servers will eventually merge.

Same locations on Dragon tho, and likely RP folks there too.
    Why do you say servers will merge? To me, it looks like the game is doing really great, and it's still just in open beta. I dare hope we'll need even more servers down the line, not less.

Anyway, about RP. When I first started with MMOs, I was really looking forward to the RP-stuff, and I always picked the RP-servers in whatever MMO I was playing. The sad thing is that after ten years of looking for fun RP, I have only found it once. And I don't even mean a single game, but a single occasion. This was back in Rift, shortly after launch. I met two female character who were clearly in-character, so I joined them and stayed in-character the whole time while we were questing. I never met them after that one time, but it was still something I foundly look back at now.

The problem is every other RP I've done, from a guild-meeting IC in World of Warcraft, to taverns in Lord of the Rings Online, to getting drunk in the cantina in Star Wars: The Old Republic, to a bunch of other games, the whole RP comes down to the exact same thing: We all stand around in one place, talking in-character. That's it. That's all everyone has ever done, other than those two ladies I met in Rift. What's so fun about that? The worst part is I've tried discussing it with people in several games, and the answer is always the same: "What else can we do?" Well, you can quest, craft, travel around to see the world and countless other things, just like you do when you are playing normally. Ever tried doing a dungeon and staying in-character the whole time? I tried it once. I had some fun, but none in my group was in-character, and they all thought I was annoying.

I guess that's the point here. Why does RP always come down to standing in a circle saying "lol, I'm a dwarf."?
    edited May 2013
    ladymythos wrote: »
    I guess that's the point here. Why does RP always come down to standing in a circle saying "lol, I'm a dwarf."?

It doesn't. You just need someone to kick it off. I spent years in UO playing only in character (same in SWG) with only a small amount of that just sitting in taverns.

Try different things, like kicking off a scavenger hunt for random stuff that most folks likely would not already be carrying, roleplay it by pretending it's a secret recipe your aunt wants to try out but can't find the ingredients (some of the crafting stuff might work for that). I know there's not much in game 'junk' but there is some.

(as for server merge, they've said that all along, just one world. it's coming at some point. Right now the servers are separated purely for 'load balancing' and to at lest keep some up and running if one goes down)
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Try different things, like kicking off a scavenger hunt for random stuff that most folks likely would not already be carrying, roleplay it by pretending it's a secret recipe your aunt wants to try out but can't find the ingredients (some of the crafting stuff might work for that). I know there's not much in game 'junk' but there is some.
    No offense, but what you're suggesting sounds very scripted to me. Where's the fun in that? I'm talking about doing what we usually do, just in-character. Try questing, or simply exploring. It's your character's first trip into a new area, so act like it. Don't charge straight to the quest givers just because it's on the map, but let your characters look for it. When you find enemies, act like they are dangerous, despite being low-level enemies. Have your characters talk about the boss like it's something dangerous, and don't just fight it in silence. That stuff. Even use your voice, and not the keyboard, if that helps. :)
    edited May 2013
    ladymythos wrote: »
    No offense, but what you're suggesting sounds very scripted to me. Where's the fun in that? I'm talking about doing what we usually do, just in-character. Try questing, or simply exploring. It's your character's first trip into a new area, so act like it. Don't charge straight to the quest givers just because it's on the map, but let your characters look for it. When you find enemies, act like they are dangerous, despite being low-level enemies. Have your characters talk about the boss like it's something dangerous, and don't just fight it in silence. That stuff. Even use your voice, and not the keyboard, if that helps. :)

I hear ya. I do that when I'm with other roleplayers too. In UO, my main character had a deathly fear of spiders of any kind and the moment we ran into any, she would yell 'EEEK SPIDERS!" (typed in all caps) and immediately run in the opposite direction. GOT her killed a number of times because she ran into something far nastier than spiders! Different game mechanics tho, the body would stay there with the items on it and the character became a 'ghost', visible to other players only when talking an even then they needed a character skill ('spirit speak') in order to be able to read what I'd typed. Then they have to come resurrect my corpse.

Different mechanics here tho, and you need to be with a group that doesn't mind taking their time. Had one experience like that this week with the guildies already. party or guild chat channels make that much more possible.
  • hycinthushycinthus Member Posts: 158 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    They have stated the servers will end up joined to be one humongous server with different subsections. So eventually we will all be together but who knows how "soon" this is. Anyway Mindflayer is the RP server at this moment.
  • tyrant1944tyrant1944 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I find myself wondering how the RP community would go on reorganizing when the inevitable shard-merging occurs. Already the Mask is looking silly here in the Dragon Shard...but then again there is instancing
    Tyranus@MrHaw - 60 GWF - Dragon
    whatcolor_iswhite.jpg
  • toughtony91toughtony91 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm wondering as well. I don't know /anything/ about D&D! I just want to observe and see if I can grasp the way of roleplaying here. Plus, there are no RP guides as to how you RP a race. Btw, do we RP by -classes- as well? Or simply 'commoners' because idk if Wizards are acceptable RPers, they can turn you into frogs or throw you across the ceiling!
  • tyrant1944tyrant1944 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm wondering as well. I don't know /anything/ about D&D! I just want to observe and see if I can grasp the way of roleplaying here. Plus, there are no RP guides as to how you RP a race. Btw, do we RP by -classes- as well? Or simply 'commoners' because idk if Wizards are acceptable RPers, they can turn you into frogs or throw you across the ceiling!

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com

Enjoy :)
    Tyranus@MrHaw - 60 GWF - Dragon
    whatcolor_iswhite.jpg
  • rodginkrodgink Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    I would say that you are who you are, and you bring your skills and profession to the table as well, even as a person.

This thread was really encouraging. I've been a little down due to my lack of RP interaction over the last week, but maybe I just need to have a little more patience.
    edited May 2013

There are some basic thoughts (including some I wrote many many years ago) at http://uo.stratics.com/content/rp101/lesson1.shtml

Although they are geared towards UO (links to the others at the top of each page) a lot applies regardless of game, genre or milieu.

There's really only two rules.

1. Be the character, not the player. (Which means you don't know that other players name unless you've been introduced, nor do yo know all their background even if it is posted on their profile in game. Profiles can be useful to identify other roleplayers, or to describe something not visually obvious in game)

2. Don't *assume* other characters actions for them.

For 1, that means avoiding talking about real world things or game mechanics as much as possible, if you do have to talk as the player, put brackets () around that chat. Other conventions include NOT asking someone what level they are (it's on their character sheet from the F command) since that's a game mechanic thing. Unless it's obvious from their armor and/or weaponry you would *not* even know their profession, let alone their level.

For 2. Careful use of emotes. The /em or * prefix denotes a character taking an action. Try to avoid things that aren't' physically possible or are 'thoughts' rather than actions.

Examples:-

*Elawyn thinks the dwarf standing next to her at the bar looks grumpy*

How can anyone *possibly* know what another character is thinking.

*Elawyn picks up her bottle of wine, smacks the dwarf over the head and he falls to the ground, stunned*

This is called 'god moding', it *assumes* way too much and doesn't give that dwarf any choice of action. Folks who do this type of emote tend to get onto everyone's ignore list.

Better ways might be something like:-

*Elawyn looks at the dwarf next to her and asks "Why the grumpy face?"*

Gives that player an opportunity to tell a story or respond directly. Or for others to start making comments.

*Elawyn picks up the wine bottle and swings it at the dwarfs head*

Gives that player a chance to decide his/her next action.

Think of RP as improv theater (or improv comedy sometimes!). Watch a few episodes of "What's my line?" for examples of folks playing a character.
  • masterawolmasterawol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have a character on Dragon and I've managed to find some roleplaying but its been rare. Sounds like we exist on Dragon we just need to be around at the same time and then we can wait until the servers merge.
  • redallexyeahredallexyeah Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I find it rather odd that more people don't roleplay in a Dungeons and Dragons game. I myself don't roleplay, but I do not mind when others do at all. I think it's pretty interesting to see how in-character people get.

I'm also on Dragon, by the way. I've yet to see any roleplaying, sad to say. Like you said; you'd have to be in the right place at the right time. Maybe you can find a good guild to roleplay with, however? There're plenty of guilds around - I'm sure some of them are dedicated to roleplaying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Through wisdom, people find strength. Through strength, power. Through power, truth of character.

Such is the cycle, and so it shall remain.
  • fewzzfewzz Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wish they would tweak the game and have a seperate RP server, game as it is isnt ideal for a RP world, we need it like NWN PW Worlds.

Ive seen other MMO's tag a server as RP, PVe , PVP etc, i want to log in and see everyone RP'ing, the whole server im on just like in NWN Servers.
  • masterawolmasterawol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well if they made it so more than 5 can enter a foundry quest we could have a more of a NWN PW feel to the game. Sadly we must make do with what we have.
  • killz2manykillz2many Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If only RPers remembered what RP was 10-25 years ago. You truly have to use some imagination to get the most out of a RP experience. I really think that with the Foundry we have a nice little sandbox to RP D&D style campaigns.

1. Have someone in your party be the dungeon master (Reads dialog, rolls die if needed, etc)
    2. Insert variables in Foundry campaigns to allow for RP. (Put in some thievery or athletic checks in order to move past a certain door)
    3. Start fresh characters through a group and only run through foundry campaigns. When someone dies, they re-roll.

The possibilities roll on and on my friends. I'm hoping to start orginizing a few RP runs soon here so if anyone wants to join hit me up. (Killz2Many@Killz2Many) oh and before anyone says anything about my characters name.. He does have a full legit biography in game :P

Kills too Many

I'm also on the Dragon server. So I'd say we're on the right track for a RP server.
    Killz2Many ~ Greatest Weapon Fighter ~ Dragon Shard
    game-of-thrones-dani-burn-deal-with-it.gif
  • imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tyrant1944 wrote: »

Thanks for dropping that link! Stuck it in my sig along with the newly Official Neverwinter Wiki. :)

Cryptic has partnered with Curse for that, in case you haven't heard.
    There are some basic thoughts (including some I wrote many many years ago) at http://uo.stratics.com/content/rp101/lesson1.shtml

I spent many years perusing Stratics for tips and advice! I was already a reader back when they were only just "UO Stratics". :cool:

What was your name around there? I was Hannes-Erich on Great Lakes.

I'll drop in later to spout some more thoughts on RP, regarding some of the new posts here. But for now, sorry chums, I just want to get in and play!
    _

"YES, PLEASE"
    edited May 2013
    impervium wrote: »
    I spent many years perusing Stratics for tips and advice! I was already a reader back when they were only just "UO Stratics". :cool:

What was your name around there? I was Hannes-Erich on Great Lakes.

Elawyn of Yew on Chesapeake here. That last (and rather wordy) article on 'Character Progression' is something I wrote over a decade ago.
    edited May 2013
    Elawyn of Yew on Chesapeake here. That last (and rather wordy) article on 'Character Progression' is something I wrote over a decade ago.

Ah, and your name was right there--sorry, I just wanted to get in and play last night, so I didn't look at all those guides. Funny though, those guides looked vaguely familiar to me: a hint that at some point in the murky past, I sat there and read all of that as a fledgling role-player. So I guess a well over-due thanks is in order. Thank you! :)
    shahualing wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone remembers Archmage and his girlfriend on Catskills, or Bagook tribe.

There was later an Archmage in Earth and Beyond; who knows if it was the same guy from UO though. The only person I knew from Catskills was that guy who used to do the "UO: Ghost Reporter" stories. He'd go around invisible (as a ghost), and eavesdrop on PK guilds and weird conversations in the pits of dungeons and such, basically wherever people were taking their supposed privacy for granted.

I still want to reply to some of the things earlier in the thread, but...can't...resist...urge to...log in and play!
    _

"YES, PLEASE"
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    . . . . . Many members of the Neverwinter Knights guild (Mindflayer) often go to the Moonstone Mask and role-play. I am sure this is also used by other Role-players too, so I would go check out the Moonstone Mask. Some members of the Neverwinter Roleplayers of Commnity RP Guilds may also have some insight for you. You might want to join channel NTS (Chat command: /channel_join NTS ) as well (Neverwinter Test Server) as it is used among several RP Guilds and independent users to communicate between Guilds.
  • whisperofthemoonwhisperofthemoon Member Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    About a week ago i got message that guy with name Cadderly bought by item on the auction (images clickable):
    ca.1368516596.jpg
    What's the point, you asking? Just look at my name and you will understand. So, i wrote him a mail:
    ca1.1368516605.jpg
    Sadly, he do not respond on that one ^_^

Also, there are a lot more random role play encounters, but i will share then as soon as i can post new threads.
    edited May 2013
    @Zebular thank you for the tips, I'll look for folks at the Mask. The Knights have a seriously cool website!
    _

"YES, PLEASE"
  • melsbethmelsbeth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Modest amounts of RP happening in the Mask and similar places. But this is an action MMO and currently functioning thoroughly as one. I've "inspected" over 300 players with interesting names, found 3 who filled out their character bios, and of those, zero were actually character bios--just inane joke one-liners. The game is DDINO--D&D in name(s) only.
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    melsbeth wrote: »
    Modest amounts of RP happening in the Mask and similar places. But this is an action MMO and currently functioning thoroughly as one. I've "inspected" over 300 players with interesting names, found 3 who filled out their character bios, and of those, zero were actually character bios--just inane joke one-liners. The game is DDINO--D&D in name(s) only.

I've been doing the same and its been pretty much the same results. In the Moonstone Mask you see more actual character bios (mindflayer) Though through my experience, not many people I've encountered there are interested in doing much but some idle boring (sorry if it offends anyone) Rp conversation that comes about a bit too humorly serious. I can understand its how some characters are as traits but it kind of loses is appeal when every one does it.
    The other half are.. well what kind of people you'd expect of what an action mmo would bring in.

And it seems a good deal of people are a bit..not so much as hostile. But dont pay much mind to you other than a few lines unless your character is female.

Im always free for all types of Rping. Anything in the game I can do in Rp, Rp adventures, quests, foundaries, pvp. dungeons (though how dungeons is designed in this game, thats the most difficult to do ). But very few seem to show interest in that.

And from talking to some people, some wait until they are max level really roleplay.

These are observations I've made since playing over a couple of weeks on multiple characters.
  • vheraunvheraun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Actually, in the Moonstone Mask there is quite a number of roleplayers, at least here in Mindflayer, myself included. There is some serious RP going on, though that depends on the occasion. The Mask might be full with RPers at some point, then some idiot come over and decided to try to "break character". Anyway, visit the Mask often, and don't hesitate to start conversations on your own. We may meet there sometime :)
This discussion has been closed.