test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Desired Companions.

evilkinglarryevilkinglarry Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
What companion would you really want added into Neverwinter? I personally REALLY want a Rust Monster. I have always loved the Rust Monster and would end up buying one on the first day of release.
Post edited by evilkinglarry on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Overall, I'd love to see some controls provided for our companions - such as "stay further back" or "don't get too close to enemies". As for specific ones, I'd like:

1. A buffing wizard - a caster that buffs you with things like magic armor, magic shield, magic weapon, etc.
    2. A melee cleric/paladin who can do some tanking and close-range healing.
    3. An archer
    4. You mount as a companion that can fight - horses can kick & stomp, others can claw swipe & bite.
    5. A shadow of you as a fighting companion
    6. A skeletal animal
    7. A rogue who tries to flank and backstab the enemy
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Overall, I'd love to see some controls provided for our companions - such as "stay further back" or "don't get too close to enemies". As for specific ones, I'd like:

1. A buffing wizard - a caster that buffs you with things like magic armor, magic shield, magic weapon, etc.
    2. A melee cleric/paladin who can do some tanking and close-range healing.
    3. An archer
    4. You mount as a companion that can fight - horses can kick & stomp, others can claw swipe & bite.
    5. A shadow of you as a fighting companion
    6. A skeletal animal
    7. A rogue who tries to flank and backstab the enemy

Isn't the kobold a rogue, and the acolyte a buffer?
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A warlock Dragonborn.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Isn't the kobold a rogue, and the acolyte a buffer?

I don't know if the Kobold can stealth & backstab, and IIRC the Acolyte mainly debuffs enemies so you lifesteal them w/ your attacks.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know if the Kobold can stealth & backstab, and IIRC the Acolyte mainly debuffs enemies so you lifesteal them w/ your attacks.

The abilities are written on the mouseovers.. Kobold doesn't stealth, but does dual-wield and occasionally roots targets. Acolyte gives allies a lifesteal buff, and a shield (10% damage reduction) buff. Of course, I am assuming the ability descriptions are accurate..
  • Options
    evilkinglarryevilkinglarry Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Gelatinous cube.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there were Drow who would coat themselves in some oil and ride inside Gelatinous Cubes.

And I suppose if for some reason if they decide Rust Monsters wouldn't make for a cool companion a Pseudodragon will do.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Member Posts: 6,694 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Brawny Orc Woman. To make bearsteaksandwiches and to ride into the glory of battle! With a huge spiked club to smash my enemies and driven their women before me.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    morbidthought666morbidthought666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    A pet basilisk as DPS/CC companion would be fun.

A dual wielding drow fighter as a striker.

An Ogre Mercenary to play meat shield/aoe GWF

One could go on for ages.
  • Options
    nismunismu Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    descendand/follower of deekin (kobold bard)
    tiefling warlock.
    beholder
    erinye
    list is endless to be honest.
  • Options
    josh0lanternjosh0lantern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Rust Monster tops my list... they are too **** cute. After that a Bard the sings my praise... or if the let me be a Bard, DUAL BARDS!!! Get a whole band together!
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Any reason at all to use any Companion other than a Cleric.

I find it funny when I go into a Dungeon or Skirmish or whatever and all I see are Clerics.
  • Options
    karazukikagekarazukikage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Brawny Orc Woman. To make bearsteaksandwiches and to ride into the glory of battle! With a huge spiked club to smash my enemies and driven their women before me.
    Don't you mean?...
    His instructor: "Conan! What is best in life?"
    Conan: "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"

Which is technically (as I've read) a modified quote from a Genghis Kahn book.

I also like this one :)

Conan: "Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"

Happy slaying/gaming!!!
  • Options
    kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Eagle/Falcon (bonus to stat Maybe Str/Dex or even better a range increasing buff for your attacks/lets you see further away)
    Spider (some form of AOE root/CC)
    Dragon Wyrmling (AOE damage based on dragon type)
    Imp/Quasit (bonus to stat Maybe Int/Wis)
    Displacer Beast (stealthing Combat Advantage attacker)
    Warlock/Sorc (DoT hexer type)
    Human Ranger (single target DPS maybe have some form of resource node tracking ability)

to name just a few. Could use nearly any wizard/ranger familiar/companion really.

Maybe even have per cosmetic companions of various types for low gold purchases (RP/foundry story purpose). Would be cool to be able to add companions to unique mobs/nps in the foundry for story telling purposes.
  • Options
    kevlintallfellowkevlintallfellow Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Until they let us start playing "evil" characters (necromancers, warlocks, assassins, etc.), I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that they won't be adding any "evil" companions, like Devils, unless it's something silly like an imp "on holiday"...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Until they let us start playing "evil" characters (necromancers, warlocks, assassins, etc.), I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that they won't be adding any "evil" companions, like Devils, unless it's something silly like an imp "on holiday"...

I too figured they'd stay away from evil companions. But then I remembered they have three evil mounts already. The Nightmare, Worg and the Howler.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I too figured they'd stay away from evil companions. But then I remembered they have three evil mounts already. The Nightmare, Worg and the Howler.

For the love of all things holy please leave the evil out. I know it's a person to person thing but I'm so sick to death of dark edgy characters in my D&D games... I don't need Darth Wolverine cropping up here too.
  • Options
    abradaxabradax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 64
    edited May 2013
    A Drider

/10 chars
    Lieutenant Johnathan "Seven" Abradax
    Liberated Borg -Captain USS Solstice
    Member of Starfleet Borg Task Force - Tactical Unit
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You know what would be awesome? A Grey Render!
  • Options
    janetsnakeholejanetsnakehole Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd just like to see them fix the Companions AI, mine is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, it can't decide what it wants to do then it runs off and dies.
  • Options
    wolfel1wolfel1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A dragon wyrmling... that grows up to become a flying mount over the course of one year in real life time.
  • Options
    istianisistianis Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2013
    I love the idea of new companions , hell i would love a ****load of them , but i would prefer them to first unlock the manuals so we can get our current companions to 'max' level.

I would also love them to be a bit smarter like avoiding the big hit attacks by jumping out of the areas.

Personally i would have made the companion part of the game very different , more customizable , like actually creating a companion by choosing sex and race , class , and like it is now 3 slots for skill.

But if i hace to choose for a companion , i would love a werewolf or vampire :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wolfel1 wrote: »
    A dragon wyrmling... that grows up to become a flying mount over the course of one year in real life time.

I LOVE the idea. Just not to sure how flying mounts would really work out in a game like this.

Another Companion I'd like is Blink Dog.

Edit: oooh. Or maybe an Invisible Stalker lol.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    oooh. Or maybe an Invisible Stalker lol.

I know just what I'd want that too look like!
    http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Invisible_Stalker.jpg
  • Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A kobold bard, a miniature giant space hamster, a halfling thief who runs around picking up minor treasures for you (coin drops)
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    chuckwolf wrote: »
    a halfling thief who runs around picking up minor treasures for you (coin drops)

This would be soooo handy XD
  • Options
    harye84harye84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A cleric with a regen aura.

Sound like the cleric companion we have now with only a minor tweak? Yeah it is. I don't care if the effect is the same, I'd like a non derpy companion whose AI doesn't suck.

Since obviously the AI is an issue without an answer right now, an Aura of regen is the best answer I can think of.

Id also much prefer more companions (with more methods to earn them in game), that buff DIFFERENT stats on you when summoned. Things without abilities per se, but buffs around them.
  • Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This would be soooo handy XD

It's actually a reference to the original Neverwinter Nights, Tomi Undergallows AI had a setting where you could set him to do just this. It would also pick up more valuable treasures, but this wouldn't work in a group dynamic.
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    harye84harye84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Speaking of Tomi Undergallows.

A companion with a stun that only fires when an enemy does a glowing red ground attack. Make the recharge long, 1 minute. But every minute he interrupts a big attack.

Primary attack, a poison/debuff that lowers enemy defense by 1% per 5 companion ranks and applies a DoT effect

Secondary attack, cloud that dazes and makes the companion stealth.

His purpose is to live, move about and intterupt things while making it easier for you to murder them.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Oh, one of 3 bards.

Each buffs either defense/regen, crit/recovery or power/arm pen

And all three talk badly of the other two. If you have all 3 you can listen to a story they tell given enough time to hear the whole thing.