test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to pronounce the last name Klahn?

lilura138lilura138 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Off Topic
Having a debate with a friend on how to pronounce the last name Klahn. He thinks its how it looks and would be claw'n and I think its clay'n. What do you think?
Post edited by lilura138 on

Comments

• Options
    elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can't help but think of Jim Kirk yelling 'Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan', but with a little 'l' at the beginning. :)
  • Options
    abezethibou1abezethibou1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lilura138 wrote: »
    Having a debate with a friend on how to pronounce the last name Klahn. He thinks its how it looks and would be claw'n and I think its clay'n. What do you think?

I think I'm going to have to agree with you Lilura; I believe that it's pronounced "clay'n" as well.
  • Options
    blupa2010blupa2010 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    another vote for clay'n.
    ~ Neverwinter Fan Site~ Builds-Guides+More!!
  • Options
    serina313serina313 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd pronounce it Claw-n. Like the character from "Kentucky fried Movie" , "Dr. Klahn" (I know, the character pronounces it "Dr. KRAWN")
    Sontar-HA! Sontar-HA!
  • Options
    lordtureilimlordtureilim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    I'm stuck in between pronouncing it like "Clan" and another like Claw-n.

-head explodes-
    "The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time. "
    What better happen when Paladins are introduced someday...A glorious union it shall be.
  • Options
    hallreaverhallreaver Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd say it sounds more like "Klarn"
  • Options
    rraglerragle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    According to the Internet you are both wrong and its
    Klairn.
    My view would be klarn.
  • Options
    suishokotakasuishokotaka Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Kaun would be my guess.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    . . . . . I'd almost hazard to guess that the K is silent and it would be "Lah-n" - but if not, then I would pronounce it "Cla-en," with a silent H as in "en" simply because "ahn" by itself is pronounced "en." However, that is the trick of names. Names are not subject to proper pronunciation dictations( or spelling when compared to other similar words, Rayne for example sounds like Rain but is spelled Rayne).
  • Options
    thlaylirahthlaylirah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It looks a lot like the name Kahlan from the Sword of Truth series and I forever pronounced it Kah-lan and then found out it is pronounced Kay-len so I'm going to assume that you are correct on your pronunciation but my initial thought would have been the same as your friend's.
    .gif.gif.gif.gif
  • Options
    electrinoelectrino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    [k l a: n]