test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game is in beta - cash shop is a beta test

lollielollie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hearing a lot of people say "game is in beta" then going on to say how all the bugs/lag/server outages are therefore ok.

There is a cash shop in this game, it's not beta.

Unless they're saying we're beta testing the cash shop, and upon actual game release they will refund all the money we've spent while testing...this I can get behind.

Shouldn't this be so then if game is in beta? Cash shop must also be in beta, we must be beta testing the cash shop as well, so we will expect a full refund of the money we've spent beta testing these things once game goes live.

Admin Clarification from Dezstravus

Neverwinter is currently in Open Beta. During Open Beta you have the opportunity to pick up items from the cash shop that will persist through Open Beta and Launch. These are permanent purchases that you get to keep (aside from items that are consumed through use, of course). They are not removed from your account, nor are the purchases refunded.

We always welcome feedback regarding how the game should function during Alpha/Closed Beta/Open Beta/Launch, so please continue to share your feedback! However, please make sure this feedback is clearly posted as feedback, to ensure that other users who read your comments are given accurate information regarding the current functionality. Thank you!
Post edited by lollie on

Comments

• Options
    suslikwishsuslikwish Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People just don't look up the definition of beta test. Once it is commercially used its no longer a beta. Meaning the very second they charge money the beta has ended.
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    suslikwish wrote: »
    People just don't look up the definition of beta test. Once it is commercially used its no longer a beta. Meaning the very second they charge money the beta has ended.

Go tell that to every kickstarter in existence. Get on with the times.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I would think this as well. But if we're going to hear the game is in beta test excuse then those same people should expect and support our money being returned once game actually does go live.
  • Options
    bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013

Not necessarily true. Many companies want to test their cash shop in beta to see if it is functioning properly. In that case, refunds are usually given at the end of beta.

Neverwinter is in Open Beta, and will not be resetting again. Cash shop items will not be reset, nor will there be any refunds.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Go tell that to every kickstarter in existence. Get on with the times.

PWE is a billion dollar company, and requires no charity or kickstarter funds.
    Neverwinter is in Open Beta, and will not be resetting again. Cash shop items will not be reset, nor will there be any refunds.

If this is the case then the server instability should not be occurring, either that or they need to remove the cash shop.

The server is performing worse and worse, and is making it difficult to play. The expected service is no longer being provided.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lollie wrote: »
    PWE is a billion dollar company, and requires no charity or kickstarter funds.

Just because they require no kickstarter or charity doesn't mean they can't use it. Kickstarter greatly reduces the risk of spending more than what a game can make in profit, by locking them in before production. Any company can benefit from that.
  • Options
    bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    If this is the case then the server instability should not be occurring, either that or they need to remove the cash shop.

The server is performing worse and worse, and is making it difficult to play. The expected service is no longer being provided.

Which explains why the game is F2P. When you pay for something in the cash shop, you are doing just that, paying for the item, not the service. If the item is any less than advertised, then you have a reason to complain about it.
  • Options
    ikagawaikagawa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 106
    edited May 2013

This is going to be trite, but you sound like an online game virgin. All games played online have server instability to differing degrees. MMO's have it the worst because they are the most complicated.

Expecting 100% uptime is naive at best and delusional at worst.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Which explains why the game is F2P. When you pay for something in the cash shop, you are doing just that, paying for the item, not the service. If the item is any less than advertised, then you have a reason to complain about it.

Well going by this response looks like it's time to cut my losses. This is obviously not a good game company.
  • Options
    dezstravusdezstravus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter is currently in Open Beta. During Open Beta you have the opportunity to pick up items from the cash shop that will persist through Open Beta and Launch. These are permanent purchases that you get to keep (aside from items that are consumed, of course)! They are not removed from your account, nor are the purchases refunded.

We always welcome feedback regarding how the game should function during Alpha/Closed Beta/Open Beta/Launch, so please continue to share your feedback! However, please make sure this feedback is clearly posted as feedback, to ensure that other users who read your comments are given accurate information regarding the current functionality.

(editing thread title slightly to reduce potential confusion - thanks in advance for understanding!)

Thank you!
  • Options
    ikagawaikagawa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 106
    edited May 2013
    Well going by this response looks like it's time to cut my losses. This is obviously not a good game company.

Your assumptions and expectations do not define whether a company is good or not.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ikagawa wrote: »
    Your assumptions and expectations do not define whether a company is good or not.

My experiences do however.
  • Options
    rdykattenrdykatten Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My experiences do however.

Funny how experiences are subjective. I've had an entirely enjoyable experience with Neverwinter, despite the fact that this is Perfect World Entertainment. I believe it was entirely worth the $60 I paid for my Founder's. Since my experience has been good, that defines what a good job Cryptic and Perfect World Entertainment has done, right? (Hint: It doesn't. PWE sucks.)

That said, the entire "definition" of "beta" which people are "arguing" over regarding whether or not the game is legitimately in beta is rather vague and can be drastically different from source to source. The closest I have officially found supporting the idea that Neverwinter is no longer in beta is that a beta is the stage before commercial release - and the definition of "commercial release" is pretty vague and undefined. Technically speaking, the Founder's packs were commercial...

Realistically speaking, this is truly a beta - it is the second stage where the product and/or service is released to a group of subjects that would otherwise be consumers. Regardless of the fact that we are simultaneously consumers, under development definitions, we are in beta. A commercial beta, but nonetheless.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There has been a lengthy Alpha phase and closed beta phase. It is true there was a beta phase for the Z-Store (I participated and enjoyed it) and it is correct that our money spent was refunded. it was also made very clear from the outset at the time that all purchases would be temporary, that all characters would be "wiped out" and all monies spent (real and virtual) would be refunded once the game opened-up to the public. That once opened to the public all purchases from that time onward would be the "real deal" with no refunds of real and virtual currencies spent.

Open beta is called "open" because it is now "open" to the public. The Z-Store beta period and test phase has completed so the Z-Store is no longer in beta. It is the real deal. As for the rest of the game, meaning items used in-game themselves or the services of hosting the game and the client application - well, those are still in beta testing phase. There will be glitches and bugs and hiccups.

As for the Z-Store itself: it functions reliably as intended. Items are displayed and available for purchase, and on purchase are delivered to you in world. Full stop. As for any item bugs, that's a separate "component" of the whole.

Furthermore, if you have made a purchase in the Z-Store and it is not delivered - surely Cryptic Support will make it right by either force-delivering (for lack of a better description) or refunding your purchase in that regard. if it was an account service (such as a respec or extra character slots, etc) - then it will be fixed.

I understand the OP was frustrated, angry, miffed, choose your description. But like drinking and driving, it sometimes is best to withhold forum posts until you "sober up" a bit. Hell, I'm guilty of this infraction myself!

Let's just tone-down the self-entitlement demands a notch, okay?
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is a shift in f2p games from not charging anything until the game is out of beta to offering items for sale during what is called an open beta by the company. As such, we are in a period of transition where there is a difference in opinion as to what constitutes beta and release, and at what point that transition occurs, which leads to plenty of disagreement.

I believe, before long, this is how the majority of , if not all, open betas will function, and the definition of beta will change out of necessity for those clinging to the old definition of the word, as no payment option betas eventually become extinct.
  • Options
    bajaresident#3792 bajaresident Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why do you think they have an F rating on BBB?
  • Options
    krenkren Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Reguardless of what Cryptic or the Devs or anyone associated with the company wants to spin this as. If you asked the general gaming populace those of us that have been around basicly since Mmo's started. The majority will tell you 9 out of 10 times that this is what every other gaming company calls release. In the passed 15 years I've only once paid anything to any company during a propsed actual beta and that was SWG to recieve the install disk. Every other beta I have ever been in including current games in open beta have never called there games a open beta yet charged or gone to any F2P model. If thats how Cryptic/PWE want to try and redifine the term thats fine, though they will be the extreme outlier in this circumstance as the term has a diffrent well defined meaning.
  • Options
    emaloreemalore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    Why do you think they have an F rating on BBB?
    The BBB lost all credibility it might have had a long time ago.
  • Options
    riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kren wrote: »
    Reguardless of what Cryptic or the Devs or anyone associated with the company wants to spin this as. If you asked the general gaming populace those of us that have been around basicly since Mmo's started. The majority will tell you 9 out of 10 times that this is what every other gaming company calls release. In the passed 15 years I've only once paid anything to any company during a propsed actual beta and that was SWG to recieve the install disk. Every other beta I have ever been in including current games in open beta have never called there games a open beta yet charged or gone to any F2P model. If thats how Cryptic/PWE want to try and redifine the term thats fine, though they will be the extreme outlier in this circumstance as the term has a diffrent well defined meaning.

Um, I hate to break it to ya, but things change. Really. Sorry to burst your bubble. Like it or not, what PWE is doing here is not unique. An example of another game which does the exact same thing is Path of Exile. Officially in open beta, but everything is live & permanent, including the cash shop. I'm sure others can name mote titles.

Oh and, when you say "the term has a diffrent [sic] well defined meaning", you are patently wrong, regardless of whether you are referring to 'release' or 'open beta'. Both of these terms have meanings in today's world that are most certainly not, or no longer, set in stone. Fact, please don't even try to debate this lest you make yourself look like a fool.
  • Options
    datemperdatemper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I disagree with original poster.

Been alpha,closed and open beta testing for over twenty years now.I for one am happy to contribute early to the development of games that I would like to see succeed.

Most recently I've invested to alpha Kenshi,beta Path of Exile,Mechwarrior online and feel it's all been money well spent.

I usually do leave the games not long after open beta begins and the entitled F2P crowd show up.It really makes me wish some of the developers would consider subscription models again.
  • Options
    karmeliakarmelia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To the best of my knowledge, Perfect World International (the game), is still in "Open Beta" since it was launched in 2008. I don,t remember any mention of the game going out of the beta stage.

It may happen with NW too.

In my book, no more wipes and an opened Cash Shop, means the game is not in Beta anymore, no matter what the game company pretends. I would rather say it was released in an unfinished state in order to allow the company to get the money to finish it.

It's happening more and more in the gaming industry these days.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Put simply, it is a marketing ploy. They are admitting that the game is in a playable state. But not in a complete state. This is simply insurance from technical "oopies" and lack of fully fleshed out content. IE full classes and end game. That might adversely effect reviews and press.

You can take it for what it is and be annoyed by it. Or you can simply enjoy the fact that we get to play it at all. I'm sure there are many that see the bumps in the road as minor as long as they don't have to wait for the game to be officially "compete" to play it. Either way its a personal choice.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not sure why some people have a big problem with the "open beta" designation. Cryptic calls it an open beta if you disagree than don't bother playing it until they officially "release" it. Oh hey that was hard... It's either that or they could have kept it in "closed beta" and a lot of people couldn't even have the opportunity now to play it at all.

If you don't want to play a 'beta' don't. But don't sit there and complain that it's not a beta because you just end up looking like a doofus.
  • Options
    krenkren Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    riven84 wrote: »
    Um, I hate to break it to ya, but things change. Really. Sorry to burst your bubble. Like it or not, what PWE is doing here is not unique. An example of another game which does the exact same thing is Path of Exile. Officially in open beta, but everything is live & permanent, including the cash shop. I'm sure others can name mote titles.

Oh and, when you say "the term has a diffrent [sic] well defined meaning", you are patently wrong, regardless of whether you are referring to 'release' or 'open beta'. Both of these terms have meanings in today's world that are most certainly not, or no longer, set in stone. Fact, please don't even try to debate this lest you make yourself look like a fool.

Just lol bro Open beta's have had a very specific meaning for the better part of 15 years nothings changeing except one outlier company fudgeing what it means. When companies like Sony,Blizzard,EA, Microsoft, etc etc.. start doing the same then I'll go along with it. Hate to break it to you bro, but your wrong. This would be like a company coming along and trying to reinvent the wheel except they make it round again and call it Vulcanizing. The only thing not set in stone here is the younger crowd not understanding that there has been a long standing tradition as to what a Open Beta actualy is educated yourself before posting take a few mins step up your google fu then get back to me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kren wrote: »
    Just lol bro Open beta's have had a very specific meaning for the better part of 15 years nothings changeing except one outlier company fudgeing what it means. When companies like Sony,Blizzard,EA, Microsoft, etc etc.. start doing the same then I'll go along with it. Hate to break it to you bro, but your wrong. This would be like a company coming along and trying to reinvent the wheel except they make it round again and call it Vulcanizing. The only thing not set in stone here is the younger crowd not understanding that there has been a long standing tradition as to what a Open Beta actualy is educated yourself before posting take a few mins step up your google fu then get back to me.
    Almost everything of Google is Beta.
  • Options
    pilotmikepilotmike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How can you have a live beta and a cash store? If there isn't going to be a character wipe, then the game is live. Adding beta just gives the developer a shltty excuse to release garbage and still have their cash store open. "Oh, it's in beta so there will be bugs." What a load of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah I agree.

Taking money for simple respecs during their socalled "beta" is a scandal. Scam!
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • Options
    coryb77coryb77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They need more people to test things, keeping the characters when the games releases adds an incentive for people to play deep in the game. Some people who want to play deep into the game want access to the Zen store stuff so that they can have the things they want for the characters they're going to pour hundreds of hours into. Makes sense to me.
  • Options
    alex3omgalex3omg Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    coryb77 wrote: »
    They need more people to test things, keeping the characters when the games releases adds an incentive for people to play deep in the game. Some people who want to play deep into the game want access to the Zen store stuff so that they can have the things they want for the characters they're going to pour hundreds of hours into. Makes sense to me.

Personally I was waiting for the game to be released live before starting, because I didn't want to play in the beta and lose my character. I was never aware that they wouldn't wipe it. But I also wanted to be on even footing with the other players- start at about the same time. Now I feel like I've wasted my time. :O
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its pretty much released.
    Beta is just excuse for bugs and missing content and features.

Stop being tools who think mmo open beta that lasts longer then 3 days is actual beta.