Options

Game is in beta - cash shop is a beta test

1235»

Comments

• Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    suslikwish wrote: »
    People just don't look up the definition of beta test. Once it is commercially used its no longer a beta. Meaning the very second they charge money the beta has ended.

Exactly. If they are taking people's money in any way, shape or form it is a RELEASE. Its a product they have made available to the general public for a monetary cost. Period.

They can call it beta. They can call it alpha. They can call it zeta. It doesn't matter. In the eyes of our justice system and under our consumer protection laws what they call it is irrelevant. If they take your money they are selling you a product or service.

Man its mind boggling how easily duped this warcraft generation is. Hell they've got kids paying them money to debug and beta test their own games.
  • Options
    steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    You say beta, I say soft launch/release/money grab. I agree to disagree. Do you?

No. I don't. Because I understand what a Beta is. It has nothing to do with the end-user or money and everything to do with implementation.

If you want to call it a money grab -in- beta, feel free. Or an unethical business practice: Sure. But words mean things, and Beta has a very specific definition in this case, and that definition is what the game company has been using.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • Options
    rdykattenrdykatten Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They can call it beta. They can call it alpha. They can call it zeta. It doesn't matter. In the eyes of our justice system and under our consumer protection laws what they call it is irrelevant. If they take your money they are selling you a product or service.

I've remained undecided on this entire issue overall, because there's one thing that not a single person has ever answered - I'll try asking it now: What does it even matter what it's called? Regardless of what state it is in, regardless of if I have paid money for it, I have received a service that I have enjoyed. I bought the Guardian Founder's pack and I received that, therefore I paid for goods and received it. I have bought a mild amount of ZEN and have also received that, therefore I paid for goods and received it.

You might say how mind-boggling this "Warcraft generation" is, but let me tell you, you guys who argue that this is not a beta are the obnoxious ones here. I have legitimately changed Zones and switched to my Global Chat tab to see someone randomly state that this is not a beta without any sort of apparent discussion beforehand that might warrant such a comment. Just, out of nowhere, "THIS ISN'T A BETA, YOU GUYS ARE DUMB." And more commonly than not, the people that do argue this is not a beta do it at incredibly inopportune moments. I can't count how many times I've seen a conversation go like this:

[Zone] Dood1: Will there be a character wipe?
    [Zone] Dood2: No, this is open beta, and will have no more wipes.
    [Zone] Dood3: This isn't beta, this is launch. Don't be stupid.

So really.. what's your point and why should I give a **** about what dumb term we're calling it? I'm receiving a service & am greatly enjoying it.

(As a side note, you can't really expect the ability to play an online game as a service with how companies lay out their Terms of Service these days. It's just logical for them, and I don't blame them, but basically we own absolutely zero digital goods. More commonly, we're renting the capabilities to use an account. Technically, you can't complain if they drastically change something, because it's in the ToS.)
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    steampunky wrote: »
    No. I don't. Because I understand what a Beta is. It has nothing to do with the end-user or money and everything to do with implementation.

If you want to call it a money grab -in- beta, feel free. Or an unethical business practice: Sure. But words mean things, and Beta has a very specific definition in this case, and that definition is what the game company has been using.

-Rachel-

Okay...going with you for just a minute.....if Beta is a code state.....what's going to change about the code when it launches?

Think very carefully. Live games make updates to code all the time. They're called patches and/or hotfixes and/or updates.

Kinda like what's going on now. So, two things will change about the code when it launches. Jack and sheet. Except Jack's left town.

Not to mention Cryptic has been taking money for goods purchased for ingame use. When the game is down, one cannot use said products. Therefore, the company is denying service while retaining money. Please tell me what other industry takes customer money for incomplete or still in testing products? Not a single one.

I'm calling it for what it is. Cryptic has applied the label "Open Beta" to this game to add plausible deniability to any lawsuits that might crop up. Basically, covering their keysters.

And for the record, it really doesn't matter what it's called, as long as it's truth. And that's the real issue here. There are some customers that feel as if they are being lied to about the actual state of the game. THAT is what is under debate. (In my opinion.)

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.