test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mounts in PvP should go

rorschachousrorschachous Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Not only this is defeating the point of PvP (you know, "Player versus Player" as opposed to "Player is running away from another Player on a mount"), it is so pay-to-win, whoever thought it was great idea should be ashamed of themselves.
If you have superfast mount you have an unfair advantage, and it just isn't fair. And no, if the devs are true to what they keep saying about their game, you shouldn't be forced to pay money just to have advantage like this.
Cosmetic and stylish? Yes. Ruining PvP? No, thanks.
Besides, it just feels right when there are no mounts. Before level 20 it was really tactical and interesting to sneak up on enemy point, now it's just "rushing to your nodes lolololol".
Post edited by rorschachous on

Comments

• Options
    arsfarazonarsfarazon Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    +1 Completely agree, actually I was unpleasantly surprised when I found out that u can ride a mount on arena.
  • Options
    realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I sort of agree with this, I'm not against mounts in PvP since it'll allow for larger arenas with more action but mounting time should be increased and mount tiers should be ignored for speed and damaged needed to demount. Also demounting and getting demounted should give a debuff in PvP lowering Speeding, Defense and Offense for 5 seconds and 10 seconds respectively. As I said, not against mounts but they are a dominating feature in their current form in PvP.

Just to note, I have a tier 3 mount and so I'm not saying this because I am disadvantaged with a tier 1 mount or whatever but rather I'd prefer to play on a level playing field in PvP.
  • Options
    mreptmrept Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    +1. Riding in PvP is just silly.
  • Options
    urdefmadurdefmad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lol as much as i abuse this, indeed mounts in pvp is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and needs to be removed
  • Options
    arsfarazonarsfarazon Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I sort of agree with this, I'm not against mounts in PvP since it'll allow for larger arenas with more action but mounting time should be increased and mount tiers should be ignored for speed and damaged needed to demount. Also demounting and getting demounted should give a debuff in PvP lowering Speeding, Defense and Offense for 5 seconds and 10 seconds respectively. As I said, not against mounts but they are a dominating feature in their current form in PvP.

Just to note, I have a tier 3 mount and so I'm not saying this because I am disadvantaged with a tier 1 mount or whatever but rather I'd prefer to play on a level playing field in PvP.

Yeah, at least some debuffs to balance the mount's speed.
  • Options
    perfectindigoperfectindigo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mounts should either be removed or all move at the same speed in pvp.
    I am disappointed that this type of pay to win is allowed for pvp.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Nice idea, sir. Indeed, scaling of mounts would make perfect sense (like player scaling before 60, no matter if you pay or not, you have your char scaled to level *9, so this is logical for mounts, too). And while I don't agree that it would be better to have scaling mounts than not having them at all in PvP, I concur that it's much better to have them scale than not.
  • Options
    rogueisoprogueisop Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bump bump bump
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Nice idea, sir. Indeed, scaling of mounts would make perfect sense (like player scaling before 60, no matter if you pay or not, you have your char scaled to level *9, so this is logical for mounts, too). And while I don't agree that it would be better to have scaling mounts than not having them at all in PvP, I concur that it's much better to have them scale than not.

I'm not really bothered by which to be honest but as it currently stands it is a bit out of whack, I'd actually be for gear scaling too to be honest but that's naturally a lot harder to implement considering that people prefer different builds. I like the mounts simply for getting back to the action faster so a system where you can only mount at the spawn/campfire is also potentially possible.
  • Options
    naamapeikkonaamapeikko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can get a 110% mount without using any cash so I'm not sure how that's "pay-to-win". Also smashing things instead of running around the map on foot from node to node is at least in my opinion more entertaining.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, you can get a Tier 3 mount cash free for the price of 5 Gold and ~2 Million Rough Astral Diamonds... I'm doubting many people who had to settle on the 5 Gold mounts have saved up enough Astral Diamonds to do that yet and those joining the game will take a fair amount of time to reach that goal.
  • Options
    nemonusnemonus Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    You can get a 110% mount without using any cash so I'm not sure how that's "pay-to-win". Also smashing things instead of running around the map on foot from node to node is at least in my opinion more entertaining.

Yes, technically you can get everything in the game for free. That isn't really the point. Those high cost mounts are simply inaccessible for most people, and I don't want to hear any anecdotal stories about how easily this guy you know farmed 5 billion AD his first day. Tired of it.
  • Options
    nemonusnemonus Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013

Yes, technically you can get everything in the game for free. That isn't really the point. Those high cost mounts are simply inaccessible for most people, and I don't want to hear any anecdotal stories about how easily this guy you know farmed 5 billion AD his first day. Tired of it.
  • Options
    naamapeikkonaamapeikko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If playing a game for a couple of weeks and selling everything you find in AH to afford a mount is somehow too hard I think games from other genres than MMORPG might suit you better.

The only somewhat useful item in the founder's pack is the mount. If you take that away they might feel a bit ripped off?

Whole idea here is that you either pay for stuff or play enough to get them for free.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The only somewhat useful item in the founder's pack is the mount. If you take that away they might feel a bit ripped off?

In PvP only? I really don't see how people could feel ripped off because of scaling in PvP to even out the battlefield. That's kinda like saying that a football team should get the advantage of tilting the football pitch to one side since their football pitch cost more than the other teams football pitch did.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If playing a game for a couple of weeks and selling everything you find in AH to afford a mount is somehow too hard I think games from other genres than MMORPG might suit you better.

Whole idea here is that you either pay for stuff or play enough to get them for free.

Technically, it will take a month (!) worth of playing to get it. Which isn't that exciting, is it?

Besides. Nobody suggested taking them away from founders and such. The suggestion was either no mounts in PvP or mount scaling in PvP.
  • Options
    erdokanerdokan Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Disagreed with removing, somewhat agreed with pay2win. Get a fastest speed mount or deal with it tbh, it's what I did (bought Founder's pack with spider in it). Couple of days of working at Mcdonalds and voila, !get Spider mount. Anyone can do it, just don't be lazy ;). Oh and, players can't run away if you freeze/stun/do enough damage to them - they will fall on the floor when mounted, which gives you a chance to get some easy damage in.
    David Valtiere, Lvl 70 TR with perfect Lvl 60 gear which I don't want to replace cause nostalgia yo ;_;
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Like I said being able to move fast around the PvP field makes it more interesting to me. And scaling(or removing) my mount to something lower when I have earned it by either paying or playing just gives the advantage to those who haven't.

At lvl60 there's no reason to leave the bazaar area in the city so that leaves PvP areas the only places where mount matters. So yes, it would mean taking the mounts away.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    At lvl60 there's no reason to leave the bazaar area in the city so that leaves PvP areas the only places where mount matters. So yes, it would mean taking the mounts away.

What about Foundry Quests? Or are you saying that's pointless. Pretty sure you can use mounts in outside areas in those. As I said before, what you are saying is basically you are going to tilt the football field so the ball rolls down hill towards the other team's side simply because you paid more.
  • Options
    teptepteptep Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Either remove mounts or balance them.
    They need to all move at a same %, and you should not be able to re mount as fast as you can. I can literally tab away from anyone mount and run away, its pretty hard to die unless you run into 3-5 people.
    Do that or remove them completely
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And you're saying people shouldn't be allowed to use what they have earned. This isn't going anywhere so I'll just leave it here.

So, mounts make PvP faster and make some new tactical moves possible.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And you're saying people shouldn't be allowed to use what they have earned. This isn't going anywhere so I'll just leave it here.

So, mounts make PvP faster and make some new tactical moves possible.

Okay, let's have companions there too. You know, you can buy them too. It'd be so exciting to run around with your pocket healer. Same logic.

Yes. New moves like exploiting "capping all the way" mechanic. It's not really fun for me (maybe for someone, I understand that appeal) to ride from point to point not even getting caught in action. You can do it with either mount really, of course there's obvious advantages with tier 3, but I digress, simply going from point to point, capping infinitely, rarely engaging enemies. I tried it. It's no fun. And say what you will, a lot of people exploiting it.
  • Options
    maebeknotmaebeknot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not really bothered by which to be honest but as it currently stands it is a bit out of whack, I'd actually be for gear scaling too to be honest but that's naturally a lot harder to implement considering that people prefer different builds. I like the mounts simply for getting back to the action faster so a system where you can only mount at the spawn/campfire is also potentially possible.

You might be surprised how easy scaling gear would be to code. One method (block of code) could be ran on all stats for each piece of gear to bump it to the higher level. It would be very similar to how they code the stats for gear already in the game. Yet I couldn't get on board with that since it would take out incentive to make sure you have good gear. Instead of just getting some low level gear, power leveling then being on scale with others in power that put extra time in getting good gear.
  • Options
    maebeknotmaebeknot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    erdokan wrote: »
    Disagreed with removing, somewhat agreed with pay2win. Get a fastest speed mount or deal with it tbh, it's what I did (bought Founder's pack with spider in it). Couple of days of working at Mcdonalds and voila, !get Spider mount. Anyone can do it, just don't be lazy ;). Oh and, players can't run away if you freeze/stun/do enough damage to them - they will fall on the floor when mounted, which gives you a chance to get some easy damage in.

Yes because people that work at Mcdonalds have no bills at all and aren't worried about paying rent/bills/food. Just because you have no bills and can spend all your hard earned burger dollars on video games doesn't mean everyone can. A LOT of people that play free to play games can't afford to spend money on a monthly fee. They often will support the game when they can but they can't afford another monthly bill.

Your post makes it obvious that your either a kid or one of the most clueless adults I've had the "joy" or hearing from. Let me rush to my local McDonald's and get a second job on top of my schooling. I'll make sure to tell them in the interview that I'm only going to work for a couple days so I can go and buy the founder pack for Neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    funny how it says "your companions can't help you here" at teh beginning of match, they should add "but your mounts can!" lol
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    maebeknot wrote: »
    Yes because people that work at Mcdonalds have no bills at all and aren't worried about paying rent/bills/food. Just because you have no bills and can spend all your hard earned burger dollars on video games doesn't mean everyone can. A LOT of people that play free to play games can't afford to spend money on a monthly fee. They often will support the game when they can but they can't afford another monthly bill.

Your post makes it obvious that your either a kid or one of the most clueless adults I've had the "joy" or hearing from. Let me rush to my local McDonald's and get a second job on top of my schooling. I'll make sure to tell them in the interview that I'm only going to work for a couple days so I can go and buy the founder pack for Neverwinter.

+1 hehehehe
  • Options
    ijw473ijw473 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agree totally.

One quick question - do purple mounts take more hits to bounce off the rider? I thought they do in PvE, but I am not sure for PvP.
  • Options
    ehgriezaehgrieza Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't really care if I have no mount and someone else has a 300% speed mount. This should be the last thing looked at in PvP IMO.

How about they balance classes, add in DR's, kick the AFKers, and tweak some other things first before this even becomes an issue.

The only time I have seen the mount speeds even become close to an "OP/unfair issue" is at the very start. Once everyone gets to their location it is all good. The 110 mounts can be dismounted very quick. If you have a wiz in your group that mounted player will be walking quickly.

The arenas are very small as it is. That 110% speed will get you there is about 2-3 seconds faster. whoohoo. If you play as a team you will be running in together on **** anyways and not 1v4 all the time.

Removing mounts entirely from PVP is just stupid. Balancing speeds is ok, but if you have any prior MMO history you will know different mount speed in PvP are common. Once you get a 110 mount you will see how non-P2W they it actually is. Take vanilla wow for instance...you had different speeds at 60. Even wow now at non-mount levels...you have classes with travel form being able to run faster than others...that isn't game breaking. I could throw out other examples but I figure those 2 will be the ones people can relate too.

If you take equal geared and skilled teams one with 50% and one with 110% the mounts wont be the deciding factor on who wins. it may decide who get to position 2 first, but you still have to kill everyone there to take it over.

It is just odd that out of all the issues with PvP more people are complaining about players who decided to pay 59.99+ and getting a faster mount more than anything else.
    Dragon Shard
    Ethica - 60 - Human Guardian Fighter
    Ehgrieza - 40 - Halfling Trickster Rogue
    Windowpane - 30 - Tiefling Control Wizard
  • Options
    wozuiquanwozuiquan Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2013
    In the game I mainly play the only time you can mount in PvP is during a 16v16 guild rumble, you get knocked off your mount the moment you're hit, was pretty chocked to see people ignoring hits on mounts here.

+1 to removing them or making them 1 hit demount.
  • Options
    travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'd certainly prefer they be removed. It all depends on what the devs want PvP to be. The fastest mounts in the game definitely unbalance PvP, so keeping them means the difference between PvP potentially turning into something competitive, or staying a casual and shallow mini-game.

Kind of sucks that this casual mini-game is the only form of PvP in the game, but I doubt anything will change. Players are spending Zen on mounts, so good luck getting the devs to remove a part of mount functionality from the game, even if it would help improve the game's design.

The real shame is that class balance is really, really good. I've never seen class balance done this well. Unfortunately, it all goes downhill once you start factoring in 2x run speed mounts and PvP/rejuvenation potions.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.