test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where's the Sun?

thehadrielthehadriel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
In most areas of the game, I don't see the sun. There's completely no sun in the Protractor's Enclave, for example. In Founder missions, the sun either doesn't appear or appears black, like this. Why is this happening?

My system specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium SP2 64-bit
Intel Core™ i5-2430M CPU @ 3.0GHz
Intel HD Graphics Family (AMD Radeon™ HD 6650M, 2 GB VRAM)
3.86 GB RAM
1600x900 Resolution
Post edited by thehadriel on

Comments

• crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You say, "...appears black like this" and yet your screenshot doesn't look black to me. It looks normal.
  • thehadrielthehadriel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    crok2 wrote: »
    You say, "...appears black like this" and yet your screenshot doesn't look black to me. It looks normal.
    Is that how the sun is suppose to look like? A black cheese ball? I don't see that kind of sun anyway in normal areas of the game, only Foundry areas.
  • naeron1966naeron1966 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    thehadriel wrote: »
    Is that how the sun is suppose to look like? A black cheese ball? I don't see that kind of sun anyway in normal areas of the game, only Foundry areas.

Looking at the image you linked the sun appears normal to me, no black ball at all. Its a light source just like a normal sun. That would seem to indicate that it could be a graphics driver issue.
  • crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

hehe, sounds like you need to upgrade your video driver. There is no black in that shot to me. Someone else look and respond so I don't sounds crazy. :P

edit: kk Naeron1966 and I agree :)
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When you normally look at the sun IRL, do you see a black ball in the middle of all that light? I know I don't. Yet I see it in the screenshot. I guess it must be a graphics thing though.

And before anyone asks, yes. I've actually took a direct look at the sun, and not just for a few seconds. Heck... I could see the sunspots on it. I guess that's why I wear glasses now...
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • anashimanashim Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The picture of the example you gave seems fine to me. The color of the sun is slightly (slightly) more orange than the gold-white background, but it looks great to me.

If for the same picture, I see it fine but you dont, probably theres a difficulty with your system.

Regarding the absence of the sun generally. Now that you mention it, I dont recall seeing the sun while in the Enclave.
    edited May 2013
    So no one else sees this?
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That screenshot looks totally normal, I don't see any black ball.

I think someone is pulling our legs.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, seriously, dont really directly at the sun. It really can permanently damage eyesight.
    edited May 2013

What "this" looks like is a red circle drawn on a gold-white background.
  • naeron1966naeron1966 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013

Well sort of, the sun itself is faintly visible as a pale yellow circle.
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    anashim wrote: »
    Yeah, seriously, dont really directly at the sun. It really can permanently damage eyesight.

I was a pretty daring (or is that dumb?) kid at the time. And curious too. Hence why I did look directly at it (more than once). It can damage your eyesight by burning out your retinas, so follow the above advice and use indirect means to look at the sun... like that one method involving a tube and a sheet of white paper that I don't quite remember...
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
    edited May 2013
    What "this" looks like is a red circle drawn on a gold-white background.

How? There's obviously a dark circle in the middle of the red circle I drew.

If the case is that the image on my computer looks different on other computers, then how can I fix this? And what non-Foundry maps have the sun? I'm level 31 and haven't seen it yet.
  • wednesdaywoe13wednesdaywoe13 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013

If the case is that the image on my computer looks different on other computers, then how can I fix this? And what non-Foundry maps have the sun? I'm level 31 and haven't seen it yet.

The problem is the language you're using. You keep describing it as being "black", but what you're trying to describe is the fact that the sun is slightly darker than the light bloom surrounding it. The sky/bloom appears white, while the sun is a pale orange-yellow. It's not that the sun is missing or anything, it's just a minor render artifact. You are correct, however, that the sun should have the lightest value.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I want day/night effects and random weather...is that so wrong?
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This just in…

BRIGHT YELLOW IS THE NEW BLACK
  • theaszuretheaszure Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    somewhere it doesnt shine ;)
    [XBOX] - Malvious - Oathbound Paladin
  • aeldiraaeldira Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 29
    edited May 2013

Mhmm... it's not the ultimate sun, but it looks alright to me..... Do you maybe have your monitor set to low brightness or something like that?
  • nemonusnemonus Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    lonnehart wrote: »
    I was a pretty daring (or is that dumb?) kid at the time. And curious too. Hence why I did look directly at it (more than once). It can damage your eyesight by burning out your retinas, so follow the above advice and use indirect means to look at the sun... like that one method involving a tube and a sheet of white paper that I don't quite remember...

I did this too. My eyesight is really bad and I have burn spots on both my eyes.

The eyesight may be partially because of staring at computer screens my whole life though.
  • glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Sweet Jesus mother Mary are we actually complaining about the Sun now?

Go outside and stare at the real Sun for about 15 minutes, It will fix any and all graphical problems you are having.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Blinded by the light
    Revved up like a deuce
    Another runner in the night.
    edited May 2013
    aeldira wrote: »
    Mhmm... it's not the ultimate sun, but it looks alright to me..... Do you maybe have your monitor set to low brightness or something like that?

No, my brightness is set all the way up.

I just entered Helm's Hold and I do see a sun there. It's not black, but it doesn't look very nice at all and I can see the sun through objects.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That linked image looks like a normal sun. What on Faer

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Deuce huh? Is that what he is saying?.......Wrapped up like a....
    edited May 2013

No really, the sun looks fine. Theres no black.

If I had to guess, theres a disconnect between the number of colors your monitor displays (16-bit, 32-bit, etcetera). So, it happens to be unable to display this particular combination of pixel color, and so shows up as black. It probably affects other things you look at, but dont notice it. The sun being different is more obvious.

If you are using Microsoft Windows, you might want to doublecheck the monitor settings.
    edited May 2013
    No really, the sun looks fine. Theres no black.

If I had to guess, theres a disconnect between the number of colors your monitor displays (16-bit, 32-bit, etcetera). So, it happens to be unable to display this particular combination of pixel color, and so shows up as black. It probably affects other things you look at, but dont notice it. The sun being different is more obvious.

If you are using Microsoft Windows, you might want to doublecheck the monitor settings.
    I've never had this issue with images before. It's set to True Color 32-bit in my monitor settings.
  • gyloirgyloir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not your computer, the other posters in this thread just don't understand what you are talking about.

The sun shouldn't be "darker" then the light around it, as the sun itself is the source of light and thus it shouldn't be a darker area in the middle like it is.

Just some minor graphical error by the rendering/artists.
  • ozhozh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont see anything wrong in that picture. I guess you played the game too much and need fresh air :)
  • truegamer0truegamer0 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Looking closely I can see it but I would hardly classify it as black.
  • square0square0 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    as I understand it in order for something to be emitting that much light and still display as that color it would have to be black or some other dark shade