test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can you please make it so that only classes that can equip an item get to roll need?

lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Dungeons are devolving into nothing but roll-need-on-everything grindfests. People are now rolling Need on absolutely everything.

Very frustrating to run multiple dungeons, see 7 pieces of epic CW gear drop, only to have them ALL go to my non CW "groupmates" and be sold off; or better yet - offered to ME as the only CW in the group at a "discounted" AD price.

I can't bring myself to roll Need on an item that is not usable by my class because I know I will be skewing over someone on my team who can in fact use it... But apparently I am the only one that feels this way in a PUG.

It's getting ridiculous. The only time I will run a dungeon now is with friends/guild, or during a DD event so that at least the chest will hopefully give me something I can use.

Any chance of a hotfix to this roll system? It should not be that hard to add an "EquipPossible" tag to loot that will grey out the Need button for everyone that can't equip said item.
You should not be able to roll Need on something if your class can't actually use it.
Post edited by lexthegreat on

Comments

• Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hitting Shift 1 is just so much easier than Hitting Shift 2.

I have to move my hand on like a weird angle just the slightest bit to reach the 2 Key while holding shift. Its just not worth it.
  • Options
    bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd like a better, more mature, Need/Greed/Pass system. As it stands now I always Greed unless it's a blue I can use.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • Options
    arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Blizzard fixed the ninja looter problem a few years ago where if you roll Need, it automatically Character-binds the item to you! That way jerks won't just Need roll everything and then resell it once the dungeon is over or just leave the group after they ninjaed something and everyone is yelling at'em!

But how would that work in Neverwinter? All items are not identified!!! If we roll Need on an item, does it become character-bound even if it's not identified?

Or here's a better idea: GET RID OF ITEM IDENTIFICATION!!!!!!!

It's such a huge waste of time always identifying everything, restocking scrolls and it wastes precious bag space too! If all items were already identified, then players who roll Need on something they need will automatically bind it to their character! The only way you could win the item intact and unbound would be to roll Greed and if no one rolls Need, then highest Greed roller wins it and could sell it at the AH!
  • Options
    lordhordelordhorde Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    I feel exactly the same way you do man. You aren`t alone. 14 years ago or so people doing this kind of thing would be blacklisted on a server but now it seems to be the common thing to only give a **** about yourself and screw everyone else. I have heard every debate possible trying to justify the reasons they roll need on non class gear. It all comes down to people putting a pricetag on their time ingame. Of course nobody likes doing a dungeon for an hour and walking away nothing, it does suck. But to rob someone of something that they spent the same time in the same dungeon to get is pretty lame. So if a dungeon don`t drop loot for a certain player in a group, that player feels like he should walk away with at least something so he steals loot from groupmates. I`d like to email a punch in the crotch to every person I`ve seen do it.
  • Options
    morinoxmorinox Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    arcbladez wrote: »
    Blizzard fixed the ninja looter problem a few years ago where if you roll Need, it automatically Character-binds the item to you! That way jerks won't just Need roll everything and then resell it once the dungeon is over or just leave the group after they ninjaed something and everyone is yelling at'em!

But how would that work in Neverwinter? All items are not identified!!! If we roll Need on an item, does it become character-bound even if it's not identified?

Or here's a better idea: GET RID OF ITEM IDENTIFICATION!!!!!!!

It's such a huge waste of time always identifying everything, restocking scrolls and it wastes precious bag space too! If all items were already identified, then players who roll Need on something they need will automatically bind it to their character! The only way you could win the item intact and unbound would be to roll Greed and if no one rolls Need, then highest Greed roller wins it and could sell it at the AH!

Completely agree on the first part about using a somewhat similar system i.e Bind on Need. Sick and fed up with these kids hitting shift+1 on items they can't even use, making those in the group who can use them lose out on the item (In 99% of the cases anyways).

Second par,t about the identification system. I don't think they should remove it. What they could do is that they add a scroll to the game that identifies all unidentified items in your inventory in one click.
    "For in this modern world, the instruments of warfare are not solely for waging war. Far more importantly, they are the means for controlling peace..."

~Admiral Arleigh Burke~
  • Options
    jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They need to disable the need button for any item your class can't equip and automatically bind items won on need rolls

Why did they even make need and greed options in the current system? Was it really that hard to predict most people being completely selfish given how people act in general in online games?
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Always need on all and remind your group to do the same. It’s the only fair system. True its not very efficient for you individually and you will come away with other peoples stuff just as you watch them get yours but you can always trade or sell the stuff you cant use.

As long as there is even one loot ninja in the group, even one single greedy person, the greed button is just another pass button. If you are grouping with people you don’t know or people who are not close enough to throw something at. You throwing away your own chances by hitting anything but need.

And its not like hitting need gives you an advantage. It gives everyone an even chance at everything but that’s it, just an even chance. It also guarantees the loot ninja competition on every roll he or she wishes you would hit greed on.

This loot system doesn’t give you any good choices; you have to work with what you have. The best you can get is an even chance all around. Don’t feed the ninjas. Roll need on all. You can be a nice person; you can trade or give away anything you like. You can even see yourself as a defender of other classes by getting their loot and giving it to them.

But this loot system has two pass buttons and one of them is labeled greed. Don’t fall for it. Need on all, even the playing field and let the ninjas work for it like everyone else has to.
  • Options
    qaeroqaero Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is no need for a hotfix, because the current system isn't broken. Your play style isn't everyone else's play style, something many people need to understand. Anyone that spends 30-60 minutes clearing a dungeon has the loot rights to any piece that drops. Even if they can't equip it, they can use it to finance other purchases or an alt. You are not entitled to loot, just because your class can use it.

That said, I still only roll need on items I can use(unless everyone is rolling need), because that is my style of play. I neither try to enforce my style of play on others, or expect them to play the way I do.

Last night I was in a dungeon where everyone was rolling need on everything, so I followed suit. I needed and won a blue drop that only a cleric could use. The cleric in the group started complaining about losing the roll and that he should get it because only his class could use it. I inspected the cleric, and wouldn't you know it, he was already wearing the same piece of gear that just dropped. When I asked why he needed a 2nd one, he replied to sell it on the auction house, and it didn't matter he already had the item it was his because he was the only class that could use it. Wrong answer. The "abuse" of the need/greed system is done in more than one way.
  • Options
    jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    qaero wrote: »
    There is no need for a hotfix, because the current system isn't broken. Your play style isn't everyone else's play style, something many people need to understand. Anyone that spends 30-60 minutes clearing a dungeon has the loot rights to any piece that drops. Even if they can't equip it, they can use it to finance other purchases or an alt. You are not entitled to loot, just because your class can use it.

That said, I still only roll need on items I can use(unless everyone is rolling need), because that is my style of play. I neither try to enforce my style of play on others, or expect them to play the way I do.

Last night I was in a dungeon where everyone was rolling need on everything, so I followed suit. I needed and won a blue drop that only a cleric could use. The cleric in the group started complaining about losing the roll and that he should get it because only his class could use it. I inspected the cleric, and wouldn't you know it, he was already wearing the same piece of gear that just dropped. When I asked why he needed a 2nd one, he replied to sell it on the auction house, and it didn't matter he already had the item it was his because he was the only class that could use it. Wrong answer. The "abuse" of the need/greed system is done in more than one way.
    2 wrongs doesn't make a right and your reasoning is rubbish. I can only assume you're very new to mmos but at least your post shows exactly why a hotfix is indeed needed

Let me ask you this - if needing an item to sell it is ok then what is the greed button for?
  • Options
    h2orattyh2oratty Member, NW_CrypticDev, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is on a list of things to address.
  • Options
    unblessedhandunblessedhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    The system was clearly not set up by someone with a grasp of basic game theory and the Prisoner's Dilemma specifically. I would definitely support only allowing Greed and Pass on unusable items. That seems like a better solution than binding an item (especially when not identified) to a character any time they roll Need because you could still have someone trolling a group and taking all the loot they can just to annoy others.
  • Options
    lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    h2oratty wrote: »

I love you?
  • Options
    dreadlordmikeydreadlordmikey Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow. Forum totally borked this post. Trying again.
    "Over the course of my many years I have learned one thing: I don't know anything, I only think I do. And I'm not even sure about that." -- Rasgard the Wise
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    Always need on all and remind your group to do the same. It’s the only fair system. True its not very efficient for you individually and you will come away with other peoples stuff just as you watch them get yours but you can always trade or sell the stuff you cant use.

As long as there is even one loot ninja in the group, even one single greedy person, the greed button is just another pass button. If you are grouping with people you don’t know or people who are not close enough to throw something at. You throwing away your own chances by hitting anything but need.

And its not like hitting need gives you an advantage. It gives everyone an even chance at everything but that’s it, just an even chance. It also guarantees the loot ninja competition on every roll he or she wishes you would hit greed on.

This loot system doesn’t give you any good choices; you have to work with what you have. The best you can get is an even chance all around. Don’t feed the ninjas. Roll need on all. You can be a nice person; you can trade or give away anything you like. You can even see yourself as a defender of other classes by getting their loot and giving it to them.

But this loot system has two pass buttons and one of them is labeled greed. Don’t fall for it. Need on all, even the playing field and let the ninjas work for it like everyone else has to.

As uncomfortable as it makes me, I must admit that you raise some valid points.

In my own personal experience, the key binds for need/greed/pass are very unwieldy. If they won't discard the loot system in favor of something else, I hope they will at least allow us to rebind those keys to something we can get to more easily.
    "Over the course of my many years I have learned one thing: I don't know anything, I only think I do. And I'm not even sure about that." -- Rasgard the Wise
  • Options
    ashikuroashikuro Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I hope this is soon. I absolutely hate doing dungeons right now because of this issue. With the cash shop being such a big deal, people will do anything for diamonds. And since dungeon drops are bind on equip, they just need them and sell on the AH and then convert them to Zen to buy what they really want. It's really sad. I'm kind of shocked this lasted this far into testing.

The easiest short term fix would just to make all blue+ items from dungeon bosses bind on pickup. This isn't ideal either. Some people would probably still ninja loot just to vendor for a couple of silver but I bet it would cut down on the problem by 90%+. The real fix is to make it so only classes that can use the item can roll, but as a software engineer I understand from a coding perspective that this will take more time. You can do the BoP change today if you really wanted to though, it's quite easy.
  • Options
    qaeroqaero Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jn2002dk1 wrote: »
    2 wrongs doesn't make a right and your reasoning is rubbish. I can only assume you're very new to mmos but at least your post shows exactly why a hotfix is indeed needed

Let me ask you this - if needing an item to sell it is ok then what is the greed button for?

Yeah I'm pretty new to MMOs, only playing them since Ultima Online. Though as I stated, and you obviously chose to ignore, I only roll need on items I can use, unless everyone is rolling need, then I do as well.

The greed button is good when grouped with friends and guild mates. Oddly enough, the cleric in my story above had no problem needing on rogue gear the first half of the dungeon (as everyone was needing everything)...it was only when he lost a roll did he suddenly have an issue. Funny how that works. Regardless, you are not entitled to an item just because your class can use it and thinking you can force your style of play on random folks in a PUG is immature at best. Hell, I've went many dungeons hitting only greed and pass....only to finally see a piece drop I could use and losing it to a class that couldn't use it. Unlike many gamers though, I didn't rage quit, I simply moved on to the next mob...since in an hour I'm going to be 2 levels higher and finding better gear anyway in this game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ashikuro wrote: »
    ...You can do the BoP change today if you really wanted to though, it's quite easy.

That's debatable. It depends on where the bindability information for an item is stored. If it's in the code, they can change the algorithm, and it's a relatively small change. If it's in resource files, it's a lot more work. If it's in a database, they have to run a SQL script, and make sure they haven't touched anything they shouldn't have.

Then, of course, it has to be internally tested before it's released to the Beta masses. (If that's their plan.)
  • Options
    zieglerzzieglerz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 197 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

I'm sorry...
    You dont have a special colored name. A special signature or anything else that denotes you as an official of Cryptic...

Why should I care one flying flumph what you say or take it as anything other than a complete stranger on the internet spouting bovine scatology?
  • Options
    lisau1974lisau1974 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    zieglerz wrote: »
    I'm sorry...
    You dont have a special colored name. A special signature or anything else that denotes you as an official of Cryptic...

Why should I care one flying flumph what you say or take it as anything other than a complete stranger on the internet spouting bovine scatology?

The red PW should give you a clue.

Good to know you guys agree this is a problem. I only run dungeons with my guild because of this.
  • Options
    beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I'm pretty new to MMOs, only playing them since Ultima Online. Though as I stated, and you obviously chose to ignore, I only roll need on items I can use, unless everyone is rolling need, then I do as well.

The greed button is good when grouped with friends and guild mates. Oddly enough, the cleric in my story above had no problem needing on rogue gear the first half of the dungeon (as everyone was needing everything)...it was only when he lost a roll did he suddenly have an issue. Funny how that works. Regardless, you are not entitled to an item just because your class can use it and thinking you can force your style of play on random folks in a PUG is immature at best. Hell, I've went many dungeons hitting only greed and pass....only to finally see a piece drop I could use and losing it to a class that couldn't use it. Unlike many gamers though, I didn't rage quit, I simply moved on to the next mob...since in an hour I'm going to be 2 levels higher and finding better gear anyway in this game.

yeah it's easy to have that attitude when you're not 60 and didn't wait all day to get in a certain dungeon, work your *** off to kill a certain boss, just to get one item that you can use and need and it goes to someone to put on the auction. I've played since UO as well and that has no bearing on this topic. It's not about forcing a play style on others, it's about decency and if the devs do change it then it will be forced on those needing all the time so you will be incorrect on that.
  • Options
    sindofinsindofin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    glannigan wrote: »
    Hitting Shift 1 is just so much easier than Hitting Shift 2.

I have to move my hand on like a weird angle just the slightest bit to reach the 2 Key while holding shift. Its just not worth it.

Even better to bind one option to mouse wheel up, the other to mouse wheel down.
  • Options
    drtasslehoffdrtasslehoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I honestly haven't run into this issue more than once. the solution? Just remove the ninja from the group.
  • Options
    zieglerzzieglerz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 197 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lisau1974 wrote: »
    The red PW should give you a clue.

The PW on the thread list? ......that is why I came in here looking for the dev post....but all dev posts I have seen have had a special signature or a Blue/purple name.
  • Options
    beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry...

that's funny.
  • Options
    riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    morinox wrote: »
    Completely agree on the first part about using a somewhat similar system i.e Bind on Need. Sick and fed up with these kids hitting shift+1 on items they can't even use, making those in the group who can use them lose out on the item (In 99% of the cases anyways).

Second par,t about the identification system. I don't think they should remove it. What they could do is that they add a scroll to the game that identifies all unidentified items in your inventory in one click.

Um, that's not the problem. You can't know that you need an item when you can't see its properties.
  • Options
    lisau1974lisau1974 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    The PW on the thread list? ......that is why I came in here looking for the dev post....but all dev posts I have seen have had a special signature or a Blue/purple name.

Look at post 11. Right next to that number actually.
  • Options
    riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If we all just start needing everything, it all balances out :)
  • Options
    therealdestiantherealdestian Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry...

It says "PW" in the upper right hand corner of his post, though the red PW does blend into the background.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I only need on items I can use and never greed and pass on items I can't use. Really like others have said they should make it so need only works if your the right class for the item.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I simply moved on to the next mob...since in an hour I'm going to be 2 levels higher and finding better gear anyway in this game.

How can you level past the level cap? I would really like to know :confused:
    riven84 wrote: »
    If we all just start needing everything, it all balances out :)

How? I only have two level 60's. One of them is already geared out and the only items I need are for the CW. What good would it be if I get TR or GF epics? I don't need them...