test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Protector Enclave Lag is TERRIBLE

russellgustorussellgusto Member Posts: 75 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Bug Reports (PC)
It was fine in closed beta but now anywhere around the AH or crier it's just a slide show for me. The other areas not that bad. Does anyone know if they are working on a fix for these areas?

Thanks!
Post edited by russellgusto on

Comments

• Options
    arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Get a better PC. It was like that for any MMORPG I played. In WoW, I get 60 FPS everywhere I go, but if I heart back to Stormwind, I drop to 25-30 because there's so many players on screen and the game is having trouble rendering so many different players with different armor and customization and stuff.

I even proved it's not the servers or internet connection because engineers can craft Gnomish X-Ray Goggles! Upon equipping these goggles, it undresses *ALL* players I see on screen! Yes! I see everyone in their underwear, it's hilarious, but whenever I do this, my FPS rises to 45-60 FPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it has to be the same thing for PE! I get 60 FPS everywhere in Neverwinter, but the moment I head back to PE and ride to an area with 10 to 30+ players on screen, I drop under 30 FPS!
  • Options
    rakkanothrakkanoth Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure you mean a drop in fps, same here.
    It's been reported several times, no lag though, just a huge drop in frames once in Protector's Enclave :(
    Hasn't been addressed or at acknowledged yet, afaik...hope the devs did notice.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    arcbladez wrote: »
    Get a better PC. It was like that for any MMORPG I played. In WoW, I get 60 FPS everywhere I go, but if I heart back to Stormwind, I drop to 25-30 because there's so many players on screen and the game is having trouble rendering so many different players with different armor and customization and stuff.

I even proved it's not the servers or internet connection because engineers can craft Gnomish X-Ray Goggles! Upon equipping these goggles, it undresses *ALL* players I see on screen! Yes! I see everyone in their underwear, it's hilarious, but whenever I do this, my FPS rises to 45-60 FPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it has to be the same thing for PE! I get 60 FPS everywhere in Neverwinter, but the moment I head back to PE and ride to an area with 10 to 30+ players on screen, I drop under 30 FPS!

While it is the obvious to upgrade the machine it does not seem quite true with Neverwinter.
    Sure lacking power can be the issue but once you can exclude hardware it most certainly is an issue with the software.

I'm on a high-end PC and so are others who reported framedrops down to 20fps or even lower in Protector's Enclave.
    Monitoring CPU and GPU load it barely touches 50%, something's not right.
    I even moved the client files to an SSD to exclude HDD I/O bottlenecks, still the same result.

Pretty sure the dev team will tweak performance down the road, just a question of when :(
  • Options
    mawaddah444mawaddah444 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same history lol.. better pc .. better pc
    And if it is not already seen the game ? I think it is normal the game is hosted in america
  • Options
    ninjajoeninjajoe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You should get a better pc or connection. The town is laggy on my 8800gtx laptop but is perfectly fine on my 460gtx desktop.
  • Options
    xen1912xen1912 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Best advice for this is to switch instances. you will auto be put in a instance with around 100-130 people in it. go down the list and there should be a lot less.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    ninjajoe wrote: »
    You should get a better pc or connection. The town is laggy on my 8800gtx laptop but is perfectly fine on my 460gtx desktop.

Are you running on an Intel machine, perhaps? I hear those with high-end Intel chips have less of an issue, though not completely smooth either.
  • Options
    lughlavadalughlavada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A lot of the problem with the frame rate has to do with the camera position. If you hit B and zoom in almost all the way to your character's back, you'll notice a sharp increase in your framerate (from about 25-35 to 75 in my particular case). In fact, even WITHOUT zooming in, you'll notice a small increase JUST by hitting B to remove the HUD (and it becomes more and more noticeable the closer you get to your character's back).

I don't know why this is, but it sucks. I'd like to make a thread suggesting that they allow us to scroll the camera in and out WITHOUT going into inspect mode, but at the moment it's impossible to suggest anything without it being buried under a wave of children crying about the high prices in the cash shop.

It will be nice when the casuals and kids finally get bored of the game and move onto something else, so the rest of us actually get our tone on the soapbox to discuss LEGITIMATE issues and offer productive feedback about changes we'd like to see that aren't "Please make the mount $5 or less, that's all my parents will let me charge on their credit card."

EDIT: Left a parenthesis open. Relevant XKCD.
  • Options
    john242424john242424 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i7 960 @ 4.2 ghz,3 gtx 580's tri sli, 12 gb ram...I'm getting this also so obviously it's not a pc specs issue.

Frame rates will jump from 150 to 13...lol

Everybody always thinks issues like this are because the person has a crappy pc, 95% of the time that's not the case. The game just isn't optimized.
    Frosted Lucky Charms are Magically Delicious!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    john242424 wrote: »
    i7 960 @ 4.2 ghz,3 gtx 580's tri sli, 12 gb ram...I'm getting this also so obviously it's not a pc specs issue.

Everybody always thinks issues like this are because the person has a crappy pc, 95% of the time that's not the case.

It does have to do with the quality of their PCs in many instances. I'd say 95% of the time it is the case. Most people aren't running Tri SLI (or even SLI or Crossfire at ALL), most people don't have an overclocked i7 (they don't make one that's 4.2ghz stock) either because they don't realize how easy overclocking is now or they're worried about longterm cpu damage. Most people still have 4-8gb of ram. I bet you didn't list it but I can see from your PC's parts you're a bit of an aficionado, so you probably have a RAID controller and at least a pair of hard drives running in array (possibly even solid state depending on how recently you did your build), most people don't have that either.

My PC's about on par with yours (though a smidge less beefy), i5 3750(3750K I think) @ 4ghz, Radeon 7950 x2 in Crossfire, 8gb of ram (clocked at 2333mhz), 4 SATA drives in array (I have a good raid controller with its own processor too, none of that on-board software RAID garbage), and my experience is about the same as yours, the frame rate jumps between 20-75 (75hz is the highest refresh rate available on my monitor so that's where I have the framelimit set).

So yeah, you're right, it's not because our PCs aren't good enough.

But you SHOULD know that most people don't have PCs like these two. :P Even people who do self-build systems usually tend to buy "budget" parts (Radeon HD7750 instead of 7950, lol, I'll never understand it as long as I live).
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Everybody always thinks issues like this are because the person has a crappy pc, 95% of the time that's not the case. The game just isn't optimized.

The game just isn't optimized. << This.
  • Options
    shodans2shodans2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't get terrible lag in town, but it's noticeably more difficult to run just because there are so many people running around. Pretty standard for MMOs, honestly.
  • Options
    miothemadmiothemad Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    auto dismiss companions in town, will reduce the amount of active objects to be tracked.
  • Options
    dragon47dragon47 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Athlon II @ 3GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX560 video card w/ 1 GB RAM, Win7 64-bit... 50-60 fps outside of PE, 30-40 at the altar or AH...It's not only the game.
  • Options
    redshift2k5redshift2k5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 241 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Switch to a low-population instance
  • Options
    tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not noticing any big drops in framerate or increases in lag.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Switch to a low-population instance

Not a fix. Performance issues remain for high end PC users whether the instance has 2 people or 200.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah they should ban companions in town. Also it's not my pc. Why do I know this? My PC is over $2,500 and can run any game out there atm...but I get lag near the AH in Neverwinter and it's my pc? Please children...please just leave. The amount of kids in this game is making it almost unbearable (WORSE then the lag actually).
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I run a significantly worse system (hp pavilion g6) and I get very low lag in pe. It makes me wonder if there is a piece of code that doesn't play nice with post processing effects. I turned all my settings down for performance. Now you guys with good computers shouldn't have to do that which is why I wonder if something isn't playing well with an effect.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tharkan wrote: »
    I'm not noticing any big drops in framerate or increases in lag.

Many people can't see the difference between 30fps and 60fps (or can barely see one). Perhaps you fall into that category.

Personally I can see a difference between 60 and 75fps, and can sure as hell notice a difference between 25 and 60-75.

If you want to see your framerate so you can see what we're talking about, type /fpsgraph 1 ingame to see a graphical representation of your FPS over time. This will make it highly noticeable the difference between Protector's Enclave and literally every other zone in the game.

The problem lies within the optimization of the game's code. There's something about PE that causes it to render in a highly ineffective manner compared to the rest of the zones (has something to do with the amount of buildings/trees/objects in the FOV, as I explained earlier, the issue will stop if you zoom the camera all the way to your back, effectively decreasing the number of things that are "in view" and therefore rendered).
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Just tried inspect mode, indeed easily 10-20fps more on average.

Btw we should probably compare our in-game video settings.

I've maxed out everything, except 4x AA (didn't see much of a visual difference going higher) and running on DX 11 beta. Its default settings are running on DX 9, however the game is running a lot smoother (and looks more appealing too) in DX 11 beta.
  • Options
    mmoplaya1971mmoplaya1971 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Always smooth for me. 2 year old PC with a newer video card. Cant remember the make\model. $250ish so mid line.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rakkanoth wrote: »
    Just tried inspect mode, indeed easily 10-20fps more on average.

Btw we should probably compare our in-game video settings.

I've maxed out everything, except 4x AA (didn't see much of a visual difference going higher) and running on DX 11 beta. Its default settings are running on DX 9, however the game is running a lot smoother (and looks more appealing too) in DX 11 beta.

Almost exact settings but run in Full Screen Mode
  • Options
    onegeckoonegecko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm curious as to whether it is my PC. I'm running an AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.6 GHz. I've got 8 GB of RAM, and my video card is an NVidia GeForce GTX Ti. I'm getting 3 - 5 FPS in Protector's Enclave, and maybe three times that in the field. Family members have newer PCs and don't go through what I'm going through (though we're all on AMD chips).

Is it time to put this PC to pasture? Thoughts?
  • Options
    quickness87quickness87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Switch instance would be the best solution here. The other long term solution would be upgrade your PC, IF your PC is mediocre, I haven't had any FPS issue, occasionally server cause delay, but that's rare, hasn't impacted my gameplay.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lughlavada wrote: »
    Not a fix. Performance issues remain for high end PC users whether the instance has 2 people or 200.

It seems to help most. Those that still have a problem may very well have a different issue. Any 'lag' I experience is fixed by changing to a low pop instance. There are obvious issues with instances that have over 140 players. For one thing there is the bug that leaves dozens of companions sitting at each exit. And that is from players that aren't even in the town instance anymore. Add to the ones that are.

To me its a minor issue though. I don't seem to have any lag at all unless their is at least 100 players in the zone. As for now there are tons of low pop instances to switch to. Hoping they get it sorted out before they combine the servers though.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    There is certainly something not right with the Protector's Enclave. I don't think it has anything to do with the number of characters in the area. I can go through Ebon Downs with all of it's mobs and a large number of characters without an issue. Once I hit PE, the lag sets in, followed by the inevitable crash. I've this happen when I was the only one talking to Sgt. Knox, and when there where only about 10 characters in Seven Suns Coster Market. Edit: The error I get from my system after a PE crash is a TLS error.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some advice about lag and latency: Your computer itself should be fine. Yes because of the number of players and npcs in Protector's Enclave it is a little slower than the other areas graphically, as low as 20 fps sometimes on my 4870 where other areas run at ~50 fps (not bad for a 4 year old videocard). But back to the issue.

Latency overall is caused by something you might not expect, most would assume that download bandwidth determines ping time and while this is partially true the biggest cause of it is not enough upload bandwidth, or rather upload bandwidth being used by something else on the system/network at the player's end. The reason for this is simple.

When you play, the game sends your computer messages, that asks "is it OK to send more data", your computer then sends a message back that says "yes send more", this keeps going on and on. well problem is if something is slowing that message exchange down then the transfer stops, and it's usually on the client's end because the game server is most likely on a huge internet pipe and not subject to much lag.

For those with limited upstream bandwidth there are things you can do to minimize this, mainly disable and background or active programs that use upload bandwidth, file sharing, certain chat clients etc. that will maximize your available bandwidth at any one time. The other solution unfortunately isn't available to all, and that's get more upload bandwidth from your own or a different provider, but sometimes that costs money.
    I used to have lag when playing the other cryptic games while I was on the local cable company's internet with a 1.5 Mbps upload, and since I have 3 roommates each with their own computer system gaming was lagged because well sometimes more than 1 were gaming at a time, not good with limited bandwidth. Luckily we contacted the local fiber optic provider and got a 25 Mbps upload bandwidth for the same price as we were paying for the 1.5 from cable. long story short, haven't experienced any lag since then even though one roommate actually runs a website server from the home.

Also in if this is not an option there is one thing in the game settings you can do to minimize lag. Well actually it's in the launcher under options check the "disable on-demand patching" this will keep the game from trying to download new content in the background while playing and only do so when you use the launcher.
    Hope this advice helps
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    dernervdernerv Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2013

yeah, its not the PC , I too have a high-end laptop and the connection was fine until the recent major patch, my ping rate was just on 50-100 then it went to 400-2000...i hope they fix it soon or devs should just put up another server.
  • Options
    thesipeliusthesipelius Member Posts: 95
    edited July 2013
    Anyone else got this after the patch that was out a week ago? I have no problems with performance anywhere else but my FPS drops all the way to 0 in Protector's Enclave. I didn't have this problem before the patch.
This discussion has been closed.