Install Arc
Options

Cat vs Ioun Companion

Comments

• Options
    sherkkkansherkkkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ceryndrion wrote: »
    Hmmm can write off the arguement about the stone being unkillable, it dies well enough.. squishy little floaty dot of dumb

Is this guy trolling or can the Ioun actually die? :(
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sherkkkan wrote: »
    Is this guy trolling or can the Ioun actually die? :(

Never heard anyone mention it before so ......
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My Ioun Stone of Allure doesn't even have a portrait or life bar, so I'm not sure I'd even be able to tell if it dies.
  • Options
    nulltimenulltime Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Which is better ioun stone of might or the Stone of Allure?
  • Options
    coldsoul69coldsoul69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It doesn't die, mines lvl 16.. I'd post stats but servers are down atm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sherkkkansherkkkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Allure.Cause blue can reach rank 25, and green only 20
  • Options
    soulwarrior78soulwarrior78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cat doesn't die, so I doubt the Ioun dies too. Even during that Kraken fight where the whole room takes aoe damage, it never even phased the cat, or during the ice boss in Frozen Heart the cat took a hit by the ground aoe and it still didn't phase it.
  • Options
    thewobeythewobey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    seltic212 wrote: »
    Cat gives 255 crit and 225 recovery at rank 25
    Ioun stone of allure gives 160 power/crit/recovery at rank 25

both pets give 480 total stats and the other difference is the cat uses a belt while the stone uses an icon :D

also both gives u all the stats of the gears u put on them except for hp it seems:D

You mean the stats of the purples you give them.

PSA, even if your character is level 1, you can give them level 60 epics and get all the stats from it, and the socket in the item. (also they can use class restricted gear no problem (IE, a guardian ring when yourself is a wizard)) companions do not have levels, so they can wear anything by default. It was mildly amusing having my low level cleric running around epiced out ioun stone.
  • Options
    purpleorbespurpleorbes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 186 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ok, this might be a dumb question but I'll ask anyways. If I bought and used the ioun stone, does this count as my companion or could I still have my panther with me??? Panther kinda sucks but if you use all the enchantment slots and equipment slots it helps a little. Only good thing about panther is it knocks them down on a regular basis and buys you time.
  • Options
    soulwarrior78soulwarrior78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok, this might be a dumb question but I'll ask anyways. If I bought and used the ioun stone, does this count as my companion or could I still have my panther with me??? Panther kinda sucks but if you use all the enchantment slots and equipment slots it helps a little. Only good thing about panther is it knocks them down on a regular basis and buys you time.

Both the cat or ioun count as companions. You can't have either of them and your panther at the same time.
  • Options
    seariouslyseariously Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So for the purpose of Min/Maxing Ioun Stone of Allure is better than the cat because it can use an Icon instead of belt?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    thewobey wrote: »
    PSA, even if your character is level 1, you can give them level 60 epics and get all the stats from it, and the socket in the item. (also they can use class restricted gear no problem (IE, a guardian ring when yourself is a wizard)) companions do not have levels, so they can wear anything by default.
    OMG, that's crazy! :eek:
  • Options
    volcxxxvolcxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ioun stone of allure: 160 power, 160 crit, 160 recovery, 2000 zen, tradeable (ring, neck, icon)
    cat: 255 crit, 225 recovery (neck, waist, ring)

you welcome :)
    5cm82e.jpg
    Old "Blood and Sand: Unchained" quest
    Played more than 100 000 times!
    > TRY IT NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ecy4o6JqLc
  • Options
    vaelosvaelos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So is the green ioun stone upgradeable to the blue or are they different in some other way?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    vaelos wrote: »
    So is the green ioun stone upgradeable to the blue or are they different in some other way?

Can't upgrade companions (yet). The upgrade books are marked as "coming soon". I like my cat, not only is he adorable, but he also gives me higher crit and recovery than the ioun.
  • Options
    vaelosvaelos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually it's "of Might" and has different item slots so I am going to assume it will probably just upgrade into a blue "of Might".
  • Options
    moriant42moriant42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Ioun Stone of Might gives 89 Power/ArmorPen/Recovery and 88 Deflect at its current max rank of 20 (green). Based on the numbers given for the Stone of Allure and Cat, the Might stone should have ~120 in each stat by rank 25.

Also note, all companions have a type (controller, defender, striker, etc). The Cat and Stones are 'Augment', so I think it is safe to assume that the cat is intended to transmit all of its stats to the owner even if it doesn't currently say that.
  • Options
    captncarnage25captncarnage25 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    Cat should have just been called a Familiar so people would have been less confused lol
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Remember the Cat & Ioun Stone of Allure can reach Rank 25 which unlocks all 3 gear slots. The Ioun Stone of Might only hits Lv20 and thus is 1 slot behind the other 2.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Cat should have just been called a Familiar so people would have been less confused lol
    It would be nice if they had different animals (familiars) to choose from, but upon reflection I honestly don't recall seeing much wildlife beyond the cat.

I want a little dooking ferret!
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I NEED a miniature giant space hamster named Boo !

" go for the eyes "
  • Options
    milquet0astmilquet0ast Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a side note: If the Ioun stone can use an icon that can be slotted with an enchantment and the cat cannot, couldn't the Ioun stone have equal or better stats?
    Great discussion here, thanks for the detailed info. The official wiki is disastrously lacking in this department.

One note: icons are off-hand, so they don't take weapon enchantments. DC main hands are called symbols.
  • Options
    swamprobswamprob Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I can't see how any guy would want a 'cute little kitten' at its side as a CW. Therefore, I am going to get an Ioun stone. I believe the stats, with the ability for the stone to slot an icon with an extra enchantment, are very similar in the long run. Also, my CW build actually avoids the Crit stat mainly in favor of power/recovery anyways.

I can see where girl gamers could like a cute little cat, but any guy with one just for the purpose of min/maxing I feel has traded in his manhood...lol

I'd happily wear a pink tutu with purple polka dot boots if it made my stats .001% higher. I couldn't possibly care any less how my character looks to others.
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Stone of Allure is better for GWF so thats what I went with. Power is King!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    Stone of Allure is better for GWF so thats what I went with. Power is King!

No it's not. Power is awful and has linear scaling; it's kind of awful until you hit the soft caps of both crit and recovery (3000 ish).
  • Options
    kimosami8kimosami8 Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    Stat for stat, the stone is stronger than the cat hands down.

You get an icon instead of a belt, which that alone makes it add more overall stats to you than the cat. Even though the cat adds more crit/recovery, having more of a balance weighs out better in the end for most classes.
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    My boyfriend bought me the Ioun Stone of Allure, and seeing how it was totally free to me, that infinitely makes it better ^.^
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    lariandesalverlariandesalver Member Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    Screw all the cats :P
  • Options
    robman1978robman1978 Member Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Cat. Mostly because you can buy one for less than 30 gold right now.
  • Options
    kinada350kinada350 Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    All the items they can equip can have enchantments in them, not sure what people think is special about some cleric offhand.