test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cat vs Ioun Companion

seariouslyseariously Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I know the cat gives the bonus to whatever enchantment/gears it is using to the user, but so does the new cash shop Ioun Companion. The Cat's passive gives the user crit + recovery.

What does the Ioun Companion's passive do?

Is the Cat Companion better or the Ioun Companion?

For TR/GS/GR/CW/Cleric which one is better?
Post edited by seariously on

Comments

• Options
    seariouslyseariously Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    anyone know?
  • Options
    notdrizztnotdrizzt Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I have this exact question.

What would be better for a TR and a CW?
  • Options
    gambitclickgambitclick Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Cat is better. Cat gives +3% Crit. and +300 Recovery at lvl 25. Ioun doesn't.

However, Ioun uses an Icon slot so you can socket it with an Enchantment, but that still won't be enough to offset the +3% Crit. chance and +300 Recovery cat gives you.
  • Options
    chonir01chonir01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Aye I had exactly the same question, been wondering if I should buy the stone or cat ...

How would the Enchantment work on the stone? Its a weapon enchantment right? So you'd get an Icon with a socket and slot it with a weapon enchantment? What good is that? The stone does not attack right so why would you bother?

Although, a beta reviewer some time back mentioned that the stone *increases the damage done by magical attacks* ... was this removed? How much is the increase? I cant seem to find any solid info on teh augment pets online atm /sigh
  • Options
    frost168frost168 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Odd. everyone keeps saying the cat is better, but no one can state what the stats of the ioun stone are.

Anyone have the stats? and please don't post beta stats, things change. Confirmed in game stats of the newly listed blue stone please.

TY so much. and i can confirm, runestones with " % stats" socketed onto cats give you nothing. socketed a 7% rune and was a total waste. did nothing to my stats.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Odd. everyone keeps saying the cat is better, but no one can state what the stats of the ioun stone are.

I picked up the blue ioun last night before bed, and from what i saw, it's stats are what you put in there. So if/when you can get it purple, that's six more slots of bonuses for yourself. Just doing a foundry run after getting it, i was killing stuff much faster with it even just being level 1. (CW) I did notice it has hit points, so assuming it can actually be killed too, but a floating ball around your head probably only takes damage you do too. I'd check the gateway for in game stats, but it's down right now. :\
  • Options
    morvek01morvek01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ioun stone is better imo. I've been reading that cat dies from aoe. Dead cat = no stats.
    Stone of Might = Power/Recovery/Armor Pen/Deflect
    Stone of Allure = Power/Crit/Recovery
    If you can't be constructive in your criticism, go back to world-of-whiners.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    so Ioun is better than cat? for TR and CW?
  • Options
    vestige321vestige321 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Stone of Allure = Cat if you prefer power, go allure, if you want crit, go cat.

Might is weaker as it has one less slot (being green, max lvl 20)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    so Ioun stone of allure gives power? how much power? the cat gives like 300+ crit, is it like 300+ power or 100+ power?
    vestige321 wrote: »

• Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The cat does not die. I don't know where the 3% figure comes from, actually. It's 225 crit and recovery at rank 25, plus an extra x% with an Eldritch stone. The owner also gets the stats of the ring/belt/necklace that is given to the cat (this is not increased by the rune stone).
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    The cat does not die. I don't know where the 3% figure comes from, actually. It's 225 crit and recovery at rank 25, plus an extra x% with an Eldritch stone. The owner also gets the stats of the ring/belt/necklace that is given to the cat (this is not increased by the rune stone).

so are you suggesting the cat is better than the ioun? i am a TR which one is better?
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    No, I was just clarifying how the cat works. :) I don't have a stone, so no first hand information.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    edited May 2013

where does it say that stone of allure gives power? how much power?
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    seariously wrote: »
    where does it say that stone of allure gives power? how much power?

It gives its stats to the owner as a buff. At rank 1 it gives +10 Power/Crit/Recover, and I have no idea how much it gives at Rank 25.

Edit: At Rank 5 it gives +26 to Power, +26 Critical Strike, and +26 Recovery.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    It gives its stats to the owner as a buff. At rank 1 it gives +10 Power/Crit/Recover, and I have no idea how much it gives at Rank 25.
    thank you for clarifying, so the ioun gives +10 power +10 crit +10 recovery at rank1?

and cat gives +? crit +?recovery per rank?

they both max at rank 25?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    anyone know the numerical values?
  • Options
    vestige321vestige321 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    the green one gives 160 power, recov, crit and armor pen. I believe the allure gives about 210 each? I have yet to max him but looks like it. The cat basically gives the lowest base stats but the highest of any single stat value.
  • Options
    astralforgeastralforge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    Bump, hopefully someone comes along with numbers and not guesses.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    the green one gives 160 power, recov, crit and armor pen. I believe the allure gives about 210 each? I have yet to max him but looks like it. The cat basically gives the lowest base stats but the highest of any single stat value.

does the cat's rank max at 25 too? the cat gives lowest base stats? what does that mean? cat only gives 2 stats? i think +300 crit and +200 recovery or something like that? max rank for cat is?
  • Options
    astralforgeastralforge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    Bump again, in the hopes some factual numbers are found rather than guesses.
  • Options
    seltic212seltic212 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cat gives 255 crit and 225 recovery at rank 25
    Ioun stone of allure gives 160 power/crit/recovery at rank 25

both pets give 480 total stats and the other difference is the cat uses a belt while the stone uses an icon :D

also both gives u all the stats of the gears u put on them except for hp it seems:D
  • Options
    agrias34agrias34 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 71
    edited May 2013
    The cat companion isn't supposed to be giving you stats based on the gear you give it. I'm pretty sure its a bug right now so don't expect it to last forever. In the long run, the Ioun stone will be better because it specifically says it gives you stats from the gear you equip it with.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    agrias34 wrote: »
    The cat companion isn't supposed to be giving you stats based on the gear you give it. I'm pretty sure its a bug right now so don't expect it to last forever. In the long run, the Ioun stone will be better because it specifically says it gives you stats from the gear you equip it with.

I thought the cat did no damage, and is (almost always) untargetable In this case what purpose would a slot on it be if not to transfer the stats to the player?
  • Options
    themangroththemangroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    frost168 wrote: »
    TY so much. and i can confirm, runestones with " % stats" socketed onto cats give you nothing. socketed a 7% rune and was a total waste. did nothing to my stats.

It's there's it just doesn't show up on the cat's character sheet. Check your buffs, you'll notice 2 different icons and your stats on your character sheet will be increased.

Edit: also, cat wins due to superior adoreable-ness :D
    When idle he will sit there and groom himself, and watching him jump up crates and barrels to catch up to you is hilarious.
  • Options
    ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmmm can write off the arguement about the stone being unkillable, it dies well enough.. squishy little floaty dot of dumb
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    seltic212 wrote: »
    Cat gives 255 crit and 225 recovery at rank 25
    Ioun stone of allure gives 160 power/crit/recovery at rank 25

both pets give 480 total stats and the other difference is the cat uses a belt while the stone uses an icon :D

also both gives u all the stats of the gears u put on them except for hp it seems:D

Thanks a lot for some solid numbers to go by. I am curious as to where the numbers came from but nonetheless I am thankful.

As a side note: If the Ioun stone can use an icon that can be slotted with an enchantment and the cat cannot, couldn't the Ioun stone have equal or better stats?
  • Options
    lisau1974lisau1974 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013

As a side note: If the Ioun stone can use an icon that can be slotted with an enchantment and the cat cannot, couldn't the Ioun stone have equal or better stats?

Oh good point!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I can't see how any guy would want a 'cute little kitten' at its side as a CW. Therefore, I am going to get an Ioun stone. I believe the stats, with the ability for the stone to slot an icon with an extra enchantment, are very similar in the long run. Also, my CW build actually avoids the Crit stat mainly in favor of power/recovery anyways.

I can see where girl gamers could like a cute little cat, but any guy with one just for the purpose of min/maxing I feel has traded in his manhood...lol
  • Options
    sherkkkansherkkkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can't see how any guy would want a 'cute little kitten' at its side as a CW. Therefore, I am going to get an Ioun stone. I believe the stats, with the ability for the stone to slot an icon with an extra enchantment, are very similar in the long run. Also, my CW build actually avoids the Crit stat mainly in favor of power/recovery anyways.

I can see where girl gamers could like a cute little cat, but any guy with one just for the purpose of min/maxing I feel has traded in his manhood...lol

Yes because a GWF with a blue ball around his head is so much better:/. Wtb manly stats companion!