What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The difference between Open Beta & Launch

Comments

• Options
    baburmisbaburmis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not even sure why do they have to keep the 'beta' tag. Its a new mmo, it had fantastic launch (compared to other mmos) and as every other mmo, bugs/patches/imbalances are part of it. But of course being new has its downfalls, and for a new mmo bugs are pretty much guaranteed, beta or not beta :P Naming it a beta just creates controversy, thats about it.

Even when it stops being so called beta, there will still be bugs, hotfixes, emergency maint, balance fixes, etc so not much will change :P
  • Options
    nerbelethnerbeleth Member Posts: 362 Former Developer
    edited May 2013
    Your claim is that the game isn't in open beta. Mind you a launched game can do all that as well but it is expected for changes to happen in open beta. I'm simply stating that since your claim is that the game isn't in open beta you must not be going to make any complaints when beta type changes do happen. Right?

i still dont understand what does that have to do with the discussion.
    complains change nothing in regards of the game's status, i dont get where are you going with your questions.
    quorforged wrote: »
    Whether it is a beta or not is solely at the discretion of the developers. It's a term for a stage of development. There is no other basis for calling it a beta or not other than how the developers decide to classify their software.

What you call "free thought" on this point is simple denial of reality.

yes, it is a term for a stage of development, no, this is not an open beta.

Im the one denying reality uh?

IMG%5D

notice the big green 'L' next to neverwinter? that 'L' stands for LIVE, which is not, as you may have guessed, an open beta status, and thats coming form PWE's own home page; but yeah, keep on believing everything you read.
    Parity Tester
    sig2.png

I7 4770k OC////Asus formula VI extreme////seasonic platinum 1000w PSU////GTx 780TI SC////32 ghz ram kingston hyperX predators////NXZT phantom 820
  • Options
    denverralphydenverralphy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ascher11t wrote: »
    Yes it's a beta. Learn what beta/open beta means in software development before you try to talk.

As someone who is in software development, I guess I'll talk...

Betas are development releases to be tested before releasing the product for general/public consumption. Betas utilize donated manpower to test for and find bugs. This allows the publisher to release the software/service to the general public with a reasonable assumption that what the general public sees upon release, is a stable product.

The term "Open Beta" in a product that starts to collect monetary payments and will not reset/wipe upon official launch, is a blanket disclaimer against accountability.

In a F2P game that will not see any wipes/resets, the only difference between "Open Beta" and "Official Launch" is that somebody changed the name.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Betas are development releases to be tested before releasing the product for general/public consumption. Betas utilize donated manpower to test for and find bugs. This allows the publisher to release the software/service to the general public with a reasonable assumption that what the general public sees as a stable product.

The term "Open Beta" in a product that starts to collect monetary payments and will not reset/wipe upon official launch, is a blanket disclaimer against accountability.

In a F2P game that will not see any wipes/resets, the only difference between "Open Beta" and "Official Launch" is that somebody changed the name.

thank you.
    Parity Tester
    sig2.png

I7 4770k OC////Asus formula VI extreme////seasonic platinum 1000w PSU////GTx 780TI SC////32 ghz ram kingston hyperX predators////NXZT phantom 820
  • Options
    runicfirunicfi Member Posts: 269 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    As someone who also works in software development, NWO is in Open Beta and will continue to be Open Beta despite what you claim. The previous "software developer" has his definition of Open Beta wrong.

I'm right, and will continue to be so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If a game is operating a real world cash shop then it's launched. You don't pay to test games. I've tested for over 20 years and been paid for doing so.
    If a game will not wipe at the end of its "beta" period then it's launched.

This is an opportunity to cash in on the game whilst it is unfinished. Making excused for it by persisting with the "it's beta" meme won't help the consumer nor the developer. They have done exactly the same with their previous releases.

If the game and all aspects of it were truly being tested, be that for load, stress or metrics then the shop would be operating with play money and there would be a full wipe prior to release.

The industry calls this a "soft launch" but don't kid yourself that this game is in any way operating a beta test. It has launched.
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    freemind25freemind25 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 68
    edited May 2013

Betas are development releases to be tested before releasing the product for general/public consumption. Betas utilize donated manpower to test for and find bugs. This allows the publisher to release the software/service to the general public with a reasonable assumption that what the general public sees upon release, is a stable product.

Less emotional and yet more to the point then anything I could have written, +1.
  • Options
    olgar1olgar1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Open beta is launch? How can it be?!! When a game launches it is usual that the game stays that way! This game will shut down the servers and be unavailable for a while until it launches.....i fail to see how this open beta can be called launch. Or did i miss anything like maybe the game wont close down b4 launch or something?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Is Open Beta.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    runicfi wrote: »
    Is Open Beta.

you are dumb, i'm right, you're not.

it's not open beta.

this could be a fun passtime for whenever servers are down.
    Parity Tester
    sig2.png

• Options
    juravianjuravian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    In a way it is still an "Open Beta".

We were in closed beta for months. Then they opened it up for "Open Beta" and immediately found the overload issue with their network (which is what they just got the hardware for and are fixing now).

They found an exploit where people were running a quest and leveling from 10 to 60, and patched the servers today to fix that.

They will be introducing new character classes, more gear, and more content in June which will all need to be tested....in Beta.

So yes, we are still in Open Beta, but you can spend cash if you choose to, since they won't wipe the accounts anymore.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nerbeleth wrote: »
    you are dumb, i'm right, you're not.

it's not open beta.

this could be a fun passtime for whenever servers are down.

You are dumb, I'm right, you're not. Is still Open Beta despite what you say. I got a pic for you: http://imageshack.us/a/img203/4595/76872202.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is Open Beta.

You are incorrect.

vckQnJY.jpg
    1ovlbg9.png

Smoke@stonedbill - Mindflayer - 60 Rogue
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    stonedbill wrote: »
    You are incorrect.

vckQnJY.jpg

76872202.jpg

Nah I'm not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    juravian wrote: »
    In a way it is still an "Open Beta".

We were in closed beta for months. Then the opened it up for "Open Beta" and immediately found the overload issue with their network (which is what they just got the hardware for and are fixing now).

They found an exploiut where people were running a quest and leveling from 10 to 60, and patched the servers today to fix that.

They will be introoducing new character classes, more gear, and more content in June which will all need to be tested....in Beta.

So yes, we are still in Open Beta, but you can spend cash if you choose to, since they won't wipe the accounts anymore.

lol.
    by that definition any game with a scheduled maintenance and content updates is in open beta.

no.
    Parity Tester
    sig2.png

• Options
    lynx1989lynx1989 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Closed Beta- When chosen ones gets to test game.

(Wiped at the end)

Open Beta- When game is open for large groups of players.

(Wiped at the end)

Beta is a phase when they deal with main bugs of the game so if it is really Beta they will make wipe after some time period.
    If not then this can not be called Beta.
    In other games you can get banned for not telling about bugs and using it to gain advantage.In Beta you get large amount of changes in short period of time, which makes in unfair for future players so until the main problems are fixed and is ready for release there must be as many phases of Beta testing as needed.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Anyway, it's Open Beta, case closed.

I'm more interested what you're trying to achieve by trying to make it a not-open-beta ( which it factually is, ofcourse ) ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You are dumb, I'm right, you're not. Is still Open Beta despite what you say. I got a pic for you: http://imageshack.us/a/img203/4595/76872202.jpg

you still dont have a point, keep looking dumb and managed to prove that you suck at photoshop.

dumb, wrong and probably ugly.

its not an open beta.
    Parity Tester
    sig2.png

• Options
    stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    76872202.jpg

Nah I'm not.

IMG%5D

Yeah you are hahahaha wow, if you are truly in the industry (which you aren't) then you should realize this scheme.
    1ovlbg9.png

Smoke@stonedbill - Mindflayer - 60 Rogue
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dmz1969 wrote: »
    A great many people complain about downtime and patches and are answered by the ubiquitous "It's beta."

It's early in the game's run, so fixes will be common and downtime regular, but not because "It's beta."

In the era of Free-to-Play, the distinction between Open Beta and Launch has become very blurry. At least from the player's perspective.

In the "Old Days", open betas were a chance for the player base to try out the game before shelling out their hard earned cash, but that no longer applies. The money we spend in the cash shop is just as real now as it will be after "Launch".

Thus, from the players' perspective, there is zero difference between the two.

In this day and age, "Open Beta" IS launch.

They are calling this open beta, because as you can see there are a lot of bugs/problems.. HOWEVER, they can't take your money with these ridiculous prices if they are calling this "release". I'm willing to be their business plan all along was to suck as much cash out of people's wallets in the first 90 days before everyone realizes what this game is about.
  • Options
    umbagloumbaglo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lol.
    by that definition any game with a scheduled maintenance and content updates is in open beta.

no.

They actually are, if they decide to use the term Open Beta. If they want to use the term Launch, then they are in their rights to do that as well.
  • Options
    watchyourbackwatchyourback Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    How is this not an open beta where you can try out the game before shelling out cash?

If you choose to pay for a game in beta (or rather, virtual goods inside the game), that's your choice and you get what you pay for. I have not chosen to pay anything.

Yes, the line between "launch" and "open beta" is thin; but for a purely F2P game like this one, it doesn't actually matter.

what you have defined here sir is called a "Demo"
  • Options
    mightyqu1nnmightyqu1nn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    Software vs game is way different when it comes to versions and betas, do YOUR research before you decide to be a ******

Out of curiosity, have you ever worked for a developer or publisher? I have and while you are correct in stating that the non-gaming software and gaming software are different processes. It is the shear size and massive amounts of variables in gaming software that require a "soft launch" or "open beta" regardless of what you choose to call it. In regard to MMO's anyway.

Perhaps the reason gaming companies have begun to use such terms is because of people who want it now, want it fast and want it easy are the ones who seem to be the most vocal and detrimental to the community. They chose to use the term open beta, what that means is they know there will be many issues and they will be doing frequent maintenance all in an effort to make the game better for you. Trust me when I tell you you would much rather they do it this way than release a patch that not only doesn't fix things they wanted but adds another series of issues and variables over and over again which would compound any problems they may have had on an order of magnitude.

But hey what do I know....
    Do not interfere in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup...
  • Options
    scruffycavetrollscruffycavetroll Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    anyone else here play MWO?

they did the same thing
  • Options
    dmz1969dmz1969 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyway, it's Open Beta, case closed.

I'm more interested what you're trying to achieve by trying to make it a not-open-beta ( which it factually is, ofcourse ) ?

Define "Open Beta".

The original meaning was the week long period before launch when the devs tested server capacity and stability. A peroid of months or years is just normal operations. I.E. Live.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    you still dont have a point, keep looking dumb and managed to prove that you suck at photoshop.

dumb, wrong and probably ugly.

its not an open beta.

I'm not making a point, because I don't need to, because I'm just stating something that is true for everyone else except you, in your little imaginary universe. And I'm good at Photoshop, sorry.

Enjoy the Open Beta, while debating the factual Open Beta isn't an Open Beta. Perhaps one day if you really focus your mind you can make others belive it's not Open Beta ( which it is. ) But thats only after Yoda teaches you mind tricks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's Open Beta everybody, how are you enjoying it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    stonedbill wrote: »
    IMG%5D

Yeah you are hahahaha wow, if you are truly in the industry (which you aren't) then you should realize this scheme.

Hmm, but I am. Sorry. I'm right once again. Still Open Beta, b(eta)y the way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    umbagloumbaglo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Define "Open Beta".

The original meaning was the week long period before launch when the devs tested server capacity and stability. A peroid of months or years is just normal operations. I.E. Live.

Week? That's not in the definition at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta
    Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues and may still cause crashes or data loss. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing.
    Developers release either a closed beta or an open beta; closed beta versions are released to a restricted group of individuals for a user test by invitation, while open beta testers are from a larger group, or anyone interested. The testers report any bugs that they find, and sometimes suggest additional features they think should be available in the final version.
  • Options
    watchyourbackwatchyourback Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Define "Open Beta".

this guy is gullible...i bet he believed and voted for obama...
This discussion has been closed.