What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The difference between Open Beta & Launch

13»

Comments

• askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stonedbill wrote: »

Yeah you are hahahaha wow, if you are truly in the industry (which you aren't) then you should realize this scheme.

Do you really need to advertise that your a socially-challenged 12 year old? Wow.

FYI. Posting silly images of babies crying went out of style like 10 years ago, net newb.
  • dmz1969dmz1969 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is getting stupid. Wish I could close my own thread.
  • lhyeuzelhyeuze Member Posts: 71
    edited May 2013
    It is not an open-beta, hence they will wipe everything before releasing. How can they wipe out now that ppl have bought something with zen? Do you REALLY think they will refund stuff bought with zen?
  • nerbelethnerbeleth Member Posts: 362 Former Developer
    edited May 2013
    runicfi wrote: »
    I'm not making a point, because I don't need to, because I'm just stating something that is true for everyone else except you, in your little imaginary universe. And I'm good at Photoshop, sorry.

Enjoy the Open Beta, while debating the factual Open Beta isn't an Open Beta. Perhaps one day if you really focus your mind you can make others belive it's not Open Beta ( which it is. ) But thats only after Yoda teaches you mind tricks.

there is more people than me arguing that here brocookie, you, as the other dude that believes in fairy tales think it is an open beta just because PWE says it is (and they contradict themselves in their own home page, fact that you choose to ignore)

my universe is not little, and you actually suck at photoshop.

again, its not an OB
    Parity Tester
    sig2.png

I7 4770k OC////Asus formula VI extreme////seasonic platinum 1000w PSU////GTx 780TI SC////32 ghz ram kingston hyperX predators////NXZT phantom 820
  • watchyourbackwatchyourback Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    umbaglo wrote: »
    Week? That's not in the definition at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta

yup NONE of that mentioned anything about money transactions and beta....good point
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dmz1969 wrote: »
    Define "Open Beta".

The original meaning was the week long period before launch when the devs tested server capacity and stability. A peroid of months or years is just normal operations. I.E. Live.

Are they taking customers money right now? Yes. THEN IT IS A RELEASE. PERIOD.

When you charge someone for something that is called a product or service. The seller can call it dog poo, it doesn't matter. They sold you a product, hence, they "release" a product for general availability purchase.

Man what is so hard to understand about this. The gaming industry has really duped a lot of kids now days... and sucking their parent's wallets dry in the process.
  • mightyqu1nnmightyqu1nn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    stonedbill wrote: »
    You are incorrect.

vckQnJY.jpg

They are collecting money certainly, but only to those who choose to buy things on the zen market. Have they charged you or anyone else who didnt want to spend money on founders packs and the like to download and play the game at the moment?
    Do not interfere in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup...
  • runicfirunicfi Member Posts: 269 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I guess the "Launch" -people are just angry at different things in the game and want to believe/make others believe it's not an Open Beta ( which it still factually is and will be despite what they say ) so they can accuse the developers and the publisher for "hiding poor service by claiming it's an Open Beta."

:)

It's still Open Beta btw.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lynx1989lynx1989 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is not one week period before launching the game it can be 2 weeks and even more.Game can go offline for months, and come back with other Beta testing being processed.I am not sure but it is hard for me to imagine how they could tell actual release time if they
    do not know how much time it wil take them to fix problems wile they can get to new ones trying to fix existing ones!
    edited May 2013
    nerbeleth wrote: »
    there is more people than me arguing that here brocookie, you, as the other dude that believes in fairy tales think it is an open beta just because PWE says it is (and they contradict themselves in their own home page, fact that you choose to ignore)

my universe is not little, and you actually suck at photoshop.

again, its not an OB

It's Open Beta and you continously resulting to insults just shows you got nothing else to go on and I'm right. Which I ofcourse was from the beginning. Open Beta, still. :)

And no, I don't suck at Photoshop. My signature is cooler than yours, and I made it. You just cut stupid looking boxes off the top edge of yours, I faded mine. You suck at Photoshop.

I win, I'm better at Photoshop and I'm right, and it's Open Beta. <3

So yeah, I just crushed you on all 4 accounts. Loser. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dmz1969 wrote: »
    Define "Open Beta".

The original meaning was the week long period before launch when the devs tested server capacity and stability. A peroid of months or years is just normal operations. I.E. Live.

No that is a fairly recent [last 4 - 5 years] creation of the marketing departments. In the old days open betas could run months and months before the launch.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dmz1969dmz1969 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Children, please keep it civil or I will withhold all cookies.
    edited May 2013
    Runicfi, define open beta plz, and prove it to us that this is an open beta
  • nerbelethnerbeleth Member Posts: 362 Former Developer
    edited May 2013
    It's Open Beta and you continously resulting to insults just shows you got nothing else to go on and I'm right. Which I ofcourse was from the beginning. Open Beta, still. :)

And no, I don't suck at Photoshop. My signature is cooler than yours, and I made it.

wait, what insults? im just following the conversation in the tone you started it.
    even if i want to insult you, that doenst change the fact that you are not right.

yes you suck at photoshop.
    Parity Tester
    sig2.png

I7 4770k OC////Asus formula VI extreme////seasonic platinum 1000w PSU////GTx 780TI SC////32 ghz ram kingston hyperX predators////NXZT phantom 820
    edited May 2013
    lhyeuze wrote: »
    Runicfi, define open beta plz, and prove it to us that this is an open beta

Prove it to me it isn't an Open Beta, and define it not being an Open Beta. Plz.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • syllphsyllph Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Easy test:

What would happen if they did a character wipe?
    It's beta right?
    So beta is not final product.
    Then wipe all the characters, reset everyone back to level 1, nobody will mind: it's just beta....\
    Just for fun PW could state ALL PLAYERS WILL BE RESET EFFECTIVE JUNE 1ST. what do you think would happen? People would flip out, the threads would be filled with hate --- because they do not feel they are in beta, they feel they are live and nobody gets wiped live.

Oh wait, lots of people will mind - lots of people see beta and ignore it completely and play as if it's live.

Devs have said they won't do character wipes, so people continue playing like it's live.

Test fails.
    It's not beta.
    People play like it's live because it -is- live.

Anyone who disagrees - please post a proper explanation of how this specific MMO will be different from beta - live. Not other MMOs, not some theoretical model of how beta should be - how NWO specifically will differ after "launch". Fixing bugs does not count as an argument because bug fixes are done year-round after live production.
    edited May 2013
    nerbeleth wrote: »
    wait, what insults? im just following the conversation in the tone you started it.
    even if i want to insult you, that doenst change the fact that you are not right.

yes you suck at photoshop.

"Dumb" "Ugly" - those aren't insults in your book? Shame, you're more braindamaged than I thought. :/ Anyway, still better than you in Photoshop, and Open Beta. <3 I'm also right forever despite you don't like it.

Anyways, I didn't prove my point, so I won't say I proved my point. I just stated a fact you're all desperately fighting so you can blame PWE/Cryptic for a marketing scheme/reason to hide behind "bad service."

Still, it's Open Beta, sorry. Enjoy the Open Beta. Bye!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    syllph wrote: »
    Easy test:

What would happen if they did a character wipe?
    It's beta right?
    So beta is not final product.
    Then wipe all the characters, reset everyone back to level 1, nobody will mind: it's just beta....

Oh wait, lots of people will mind - lots of people see beta and ignore it completely and play as if it's live.

Devs have said they won't do character wipes, so people continue playing like it's live.

Test fails.
    It's not beta.
    People play like it's live because it -is- live.

Anyone who disagrees - please post a proper explanation of how this specific MMO will be different from beta - live. Not other MMOs, not some theoretical model of how beta should be - how NWO specifically will differ after "launch". Fixing bugs does not count as an argument because bug fixes are done year-round after live production.

A wipe is not an automatic thing between a beta and launch. So not having a wipe doesn't actually prove anything.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    "Dumb" "Ugly" - those aren't insults in your book? Shame, you're more braindamaged than I thought. :/ Anyway, still better than you in Photoshop, and Open Beta. <3 I'm also right forever despite you don't like it.

oh that is alright Nerbeleth already implied that I needed psychoactive drugs to function. It telling that he/she/it falls back on this kind of argument.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • watchyourbackwatchyourback Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    charging people for ingame content at this current so called beta phase is unethical. selling there products at full price when they claim they are still in a testing phase is just plain greedy. if its beta then please remove the zen market and ask for donations till release. dont charge people money to test your content. if you decide to pay for unfinsihed work then dont complain about missing zeen/AD that you should have gotten with your test pack. you lost that money for good now live with it because its beta and this beta you pay
    edited May 2013
    I can't fully test the game, because I have to pay to respec to do so, OR I can reroll, but I have to pay "again" to have more character slots, for instance.

And there will be no wipe, no wipe= release.

And honestly, no wipe means that ppl that have been playing it for a long time have a huge advantage.

But it is still a realease, no matter you say. Stop being a fanboy plz
  • jjb828jjb828 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Open Beta, in my eyes, is JUST like Launch, just with more bugs.
    Check out the Neverwinter/ESO guild Rogue's Gallery! While you're at our forums, submit an application and join our glorious regime!
  • stoermcstoermc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 162 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hey everyone,

I just want to remind everyone that there is no need to discuss wether the game is in Open Beta or in Launch state, yet. PWE has clearly states several times that the game is in fact in Open Beta, which means that bugs can occur, Server downtimes can happen (sometimes often) and stuff might not work as it is intended to.

If you encounter any bugs along the way, feel free to report them via the ingame tool. Apart of that, I want to remind everyone here that spreading false information (e.g. saying that the game is not in beta while it is in fact in Open Beta) is not only against our rules of conduct. Even worse, it creates false expectations about the state of the game. And thats something that helps none of us.

In order to keep the flaming down, I will close this thread.

- stoermc
    Neverwinter Community Moderator

Code of Conduct - Extended FAQ - PM me
This discussion has been closed.