test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NEED a Role Play Server

killz2manykillz2many Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Can anyone explain why there is no role play server? So far the servers are flooded with mmo nerds who hop from one game to another. Grind, Grind, Farm, Farm. This game has a ton of potential for true nwn and d&d fans with the foundry and all.

When are you going to set a server aside for your true fans who will ultimately keep this game alive?
Killz2Many ~ Greatest Weapon Fighter ~ Dragon Shard
game-of-thrones-dani-burn-deal-with-it.gif
Post edited by killz2many on

Comments

• clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    There are a couple of RP guilds, none on Dragon that I know of (sigh). But the plan is to merge all three servers into one so an RP guild will be the only option.

Even if there was a dedicated RP server, you know that it would fill up with the same mmo nerds. Just ignore them and play the way you want.
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One server to rule them all !
  • gishankgishank Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How would an RP server 'work' exactly?
    69ngc6.png
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As mentioned, the RP designation on servers is usually ignored, and I'm sure it's far better for them to not have one rather than devote limited staff to enforcing one.

A lot of the RPers seem to have chosen Mindflayer. If you're looking for RP now, it may be best to make a character there. Or, you could always just wait until the server merger if you're already established in another server.
  • atlantix1atlantix1 Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2013
    RP in f2p mmo.. lol .. you guys made my day..

just because the game has d&d name doesnt mean its d&d mmo
    its PW f2p MMO
  • bluhmanbluhman Member Posts: 1,559 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As Knightfalz mentioned, Mindflayer's the unofficial 'rp' server around here right now. Though, after a while, it seems Cryptic's planning to merge the servers together.

At that point it'll just be a matter of finding what zones and instances people RP in.
    In the meantime, THOMAS WAS EVERYWHERE.

CoGQIYG.png
    Those bios are outdated. Have some steam guides:
    *CYBERMIND!*
    *FIRE AND NOT FIRE*
    edited May 2013
    gishank wrote: »

Characters have to have appropriate names for their characters according to established standards. There is usually some sort of penalty in place for those that try to disrupt role-play on RP servers, and so forth. Basically it is a server meant to provide a RP friendly environment for RPers.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gishank wrote: »

It would only be online when it was in character to be so.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • zagith312zagith312 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    killz2many wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why there is no role play server? So far the servers are flooded with mmo nerds who hop from one game to another. Grind, Grind, Farm, Farm. This game has a ton of potential for true nwn and d&d fans with the foundry and all.

When are you going to set a server aside for your true fans who will ultimately keep this game alive?

>Complain about 'MMO Nerds'
    >Want a server for Role Playing (Totally not for nerds at all)

There isn't a roleplay server because I would assume it is a safe assumption that anyone who wants to roleplay a D&D game would use D&D for that, and not a video game.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    Characters have to have appropriate names for their characters according to established standards. There is usually some sort of penalty in place for those that try to disrupt role-play on RP servers, and so forth. Basically it is a server meant to provide a RP friendly environment for RPers.

That is a significant amount of GM time. F2P MMOs generally have terrible GM:player ratios, so this is not really economically feasible.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • xanamorphinexanamorphine Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    funny you guys talk about the 'mmo nerds' yet you want a rp server
    edited May 2013
    zagith312 wrote: »
    >Complain about 'MMO Nerds'
    >Want a server for Role Playing (Totally not for nerds at all)

There isn't a roleplay server because I would assume it is a safe assumption that anyone who wants to roleplay a D&D game would use D&D for that, and not a video game.
    That assumption is far from safe, which is proven by looking through the guild section of this forum.
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    That is a significant amount of GM time. F2P MMOs generally have terrible GM:player ratios, so this is not really economically feasible.

Actually, many f2p games are quite profitable, so I doubt economics is the issue. Rather, the lack of a RP server is probably due to it being a major hassle to maintain a proper environment on a RP server, mainly due to those that make characters on them just to disrupt the enjoyment of RPers.
  • vortexasvortexas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 52
    edited May 2013
    WE already have a RP server.

It is Mind Flayer.
  • daxx360daxx360 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would love to see a dedicated RP "Shard". But I know it's not going to happen. No matter how many people vote yes, Cryptic will ignore it and do the one large shard for the entire world anyway. Such a shame because the RP potential of this game is quite grand, so sad to see it wasted with the layered map/one shard thing.
    edited May 2013
    Actually, many f2p games are quite profitable, so I doubt economics is the issue. Rather, the lack of a RP server is probably due to it being a major hassle to maintain a proper environment on a RP server, mainly due to those that make characters on them just to disrupt the enjoyment of RPers.

They are profitable in part because they don't spend the money to hire an army of GMs.
  • zagith312zagith312 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That assumption is far from safe, which is proven by looking through the guild section of this forum.

It's rather unfortunate in my opinion so many people would like to roleplay in a game based off of a game that is commonly criticized for reducing the opportunity for quality roleplay, instead of them playing that game. I can definitely understand the appeal of an RP server in a game that doesn't have it's own roleplaying system, but it's kind of an alien concept for me for people to want to RP using the game (Which is fast paced, and doesn't really allow you to spend time to roleplay without everyone being on a VoIP server or something) instead of taking the hour or two it'd take to learn any of the myriad of pen and paper systems to get their roleplay fix. Maybe I'm just being silly, but as someone who regularly plays RPGs it just seems odd.
  • lucidp2klucidp2k Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Yes, people like you will keep this game alive. Personally, I am all for having a separate shard for Role Players, less I will have to hear in public chat about your furry fantasy garbage.
    gwhEUci.png
    Spend less time complaining about shop prices and more time improving your salary.
  • lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    atlantix1 wrote: »
    RP in f2p mmo.. lol .. you guys made my day..

just because the game has d&d name doesnt mean its d&d mmo
    its PW f2p MMO

Champions online
    SWTOR
    DDO
    DCUO
    EQ2
    Vangaurd
    Tera online

Few f2p mmo's off the top of my head that have rp servers, and or an rp community. I know for a fact that mindflayer has been designated as unoffical rp server for the moment, but if a merge happens it will be up to the rpers to form a community and band together. What we do need is an rp forum, and a place to share event times and the like,
  • elitexenoelitexeno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The "Unofficial" RP server is Mindflayer.
  • rekia3rekia3 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, I don't care for RP, and most of the RP I've encountered in my MMO experiences has lead to me being VERY uncomfortable around them, but I'd rather risk playing on an RP server than have to deal with all the spam and terrible character names. I prefer "in character" names instead of "leetsniper420" or "XXXPredatorXXX".
  • dreadlordmikeydreadlordmikey Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Champions online
    SWTOR
    DDO
    DCUO
    EQ2
    Vangaurd
    Tera online

Few f2p mmo's off the top of my head that have rp servers, and or an rp community. I know for a fact that mindflayer has been designated as unoffical rp server for the moment, but if a merge happens it will be up to the rpers to form a community and band together. What we do need is an rp forum, and a place to share event times and the like,

Add COH to that list. :) Long live Virtue!
    "Over the course of my many years I have learned one thing: I don't know anything, I only think I do. And I'm not even sure about that." -- Rasgard the Wise
    edited May 2013
    Champions online
    SWTOR
    DDO
    DCUO
    EQ2
    Vangaurd
    Tera online

To my knowledge, in none of those is RP enforced. LOTRO has a somewhat enforced RP server.

Anyway, since Cryptic is single-server architecture, this is going to be moot anyway.

CoH is dead, or hadn't you heard?
  • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited May 2013

While i agree with your idea in principle i would have to argue that any roleplaying in this game is severely limited due to rigged ability rolls, the unlimited race/class choice and lack of variety in weapons/armours.

Meaning that theres only so far roleplaying could help with the fact that EVERY fighter has a sword, or that EVERY mage has a tennisball floating round her head.

In an effort to balance everything they have created a bland world where every street corner stand 10 characters all looking the same..
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe just a Roleplay channel you can subscribe to and block non-rping chatter from the rest of the crowd?

And who knows, if your RP is strong enough, you might even make some sense of "ibest93" :p
  • tipsyjasontipsyjason Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would say yes, but only if it comes with FREE server transfers. I sure as hell wont be paying to transfer this long after release.
  • arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If a server is labelled as: "RP/Roleplaying", it means that roleplaying is encouraged and other players can get suspended from the server if they disrupt anyone who does it!

Since there is no official RP server, any immature kid can walk up to a group of roleplayers, write: "RP IS GHEY DOODZ! LOLlololz!!1111one" and they will get away with it! Or maybe they can be suspended for harassment, I dunno.

But if they wrote the same thing on a RP server, it's an automatic suspension!

(edit) Another thing I also like about RP servers is that the community is a lot more mature! Since immature players are immediately banned for making fun of other roleplayers, they tend to stay away from that server so only the mature and fun loving RPers remain! I don't RP, but just playing on a RP server felt like a breath of fresh air! :)
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Amen brother.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • gruntpyregruntpyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You should do RP'ing in guild, using DnD rulebooks etc to supplement your game experience. This never works online because there are too many uncontrollable variables (Trolling for one). Voice coms outside of game, guild forums, are great ways to supplement. Its a waste of time to ask PWE to do this honestly.
  • nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zagith312 wrote: »
    It's rather unfortunate in my opinion so many people would like to roleplay in a game based off of a game that is commonly criticized for reducing the opportunity for quality roleplay, instead of them playing that game. I can definitely understand the appeal of an RP server in a game that doesn't have it's own roleplaying system, but it's kind of an alien concept for me for people to want to RP using the game (Which is fast paced, and doesn't really allow you to spend time to roleplay without everyone being on a VoIP server or something) instead of taking the hour or two it'd take to learn any of the myriad of pen and paper systems to get their roleplay fix. Maybe I'm just being silly, but as someone who regularly plays RPGs it just seems odd.

I think that core of the concept is that these people don’t have your ready access to either the materials or the other people with which to role-play offline. Not to mention that online existence is the oncoming paradigm. Sites have cropped up that provide virtual tabletops and cam/voice access to bring together diverse people for material gaming experiences.

The game provides a prefabricated framework in which to role-play and the role-play doesn’t take place at the speed of a dungeon crawl, it is a distinctly separate experience wherein the players show off their creativity chops through the chat system. A lot of it will happen in a tavern or meeting hall. Where you will usually not find RP is in the middle of a delve or combat.

And its perfectly legitimate so far as it goes. Beware of getting chat banned though. That would end your RP pretty quick.