Open world pvp

Comments

• plexs7plexs7 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes please!
  • c3zc3z Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    killz2many wrote: »
    There should be a PvP server or a zone for World PvP. The more freedom this game can give, the more it will tend to the needs of D&D players.

That'd be pretty cool, this way Lichlament can play by himself in the PvE server while everyone else plays on the Pvp one.
  • ascher11tascher11t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    firefly113 wrote: »
    It would be AoC all over again because there's no factions.

I don't remember Lineage 2 having any problems whatsoever with having OWPvP and no factions.

Also you can't really help others if you're a very AoE dependent class/build.

Don't run around alone?
    Do you know how many times I've seen someone jump in to help someone else only to KILL them in the process?

So...?
    Yeah, sounds like fun.

Yes, it is fun. But, of course, for cowards and shy people like you, it isn't.
    I've played on a WoW PvP server. Do you know how many times I got ganked by a ?? character?

Other games found ways how to deal with it. Lineage 2 had a karma system, where if you kill a person who doesn't fight back, you get karma, and get a % chance to drop items if you get killed.
    At least twice a day. At least twice a day.

Oh my goodness. You got killed twice a day! MADNESS! You poor baby! Do you need hot milk? Do you need a soft bed? awww.
    And camped at least once a week.

And even got camped... once a week! once a week, you say? How anyone could deal with that!!
    They could be right behind you, watching you.

And that is why OWPvP is fun.
    That guardian fighter might be ready to stab you at any moment. They're waiting for you to be vulnerable.

You kill him/her first.
    But if you KILL THEM first, then they can't hurt you.

Yes. What's the problem?
    PvP was optional.

This is an MMO. People like to PvP, whether you like it or not. Deal with it.
    PvPers got their cookie. Now please leave PvE alone.

Oh, right. Two maps, 1 mode. And you call it "PvP"? It's a disgrace.
    edited May 2013
    Sooo many debby downers here... but I think it can be done without interfering with these thick headed PvE'ers who dont know how to contribute to a discussion besides saying "No".
  • x0y1x0y1 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    c3z wrote: »
    THere better be more than one whole dungeon...

didnt you spent enough time grinding away in dungeons jsut so you could spend your endgame, well what do you know, IN A DUNGEON!?

Did you guys disable all your account mail system because when you hit lvl 60 you get this email
    Greetings, ......!

Congratulations on reaching level 60! Your continued victories have made you a hero of epic proportions!

As a reward for your heroic efforts, please accept the Epic Hero Reward Pack.

You can pick up your rewards in-game from the Postal Courier in Protector's Enclave the next time you return to Neverwinter.

In addition to the reward you have also earned:

A new Title: Epic Hero, A title used to show off your high level status.

An additional Profession Slot, 1 more Profession slot for you to craft more items simultaneously.

Your adventure doesn't end here! There's plenty of epic adventure still ahead of you!

Castle Never needs your strength. It is time for the final confrontation with Valindra Shadowmantle! Enter the ruins of Castle Never, fight your way through the hordes of monsters to fight Valindra's latest necromantic creation! Earn gear like the Ancient Spymaster's Elegant Dagger and the Ancient Grand Knight's Shield.

Gauntlgrym has been uncovered. The ancient ruins of Gauntlgrym have been found! It is time to prove your allegiance to the Delzoun Explorers faction or Luskan Corsairs faction. Enter the Iron Tabernacle and battle your way to victory in a massive conflict. Success unlocks a special PvP battleground known as The Armories of Moradin. The winner of the battleground opens faction access to the 5-person dungeon Fardelver Crypt or Crypt of the Dwarf King to earn items like the Gladiator Mage's Gloves, High Prophet's Helm and Vigilant Warlord's Scale.
    So yes some kind of open pvp map. From a interview it should be 20v20.........The question is it more like WoW Wintergrasp or more like DAoC Darkness Falls......
  • bman1978bman1978 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    pvp is fun and creates real life villains. it would be awesome to have a bounty system.
    valor.png
    Moonshadow Drow Cleric, Mr. Pickles Human Control Wizard, Ogre Hafling Guardian Fighter
    On Dragon Shard @bman78
  • aendaeronaendaeron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you are so addicted to PvP, why don't you try Eve Online? Oh? Yes, it is a sub based game and you are too cheap. Bad luck for you, bro.
    What about Runescape then? It even has Full Loot.
    Open PvP will just hurt DD:NW. D&D does not consider PvP, hence it's not balanced for PvP.
    edited May 2013
    aendaeron wrote: »
    If you are so addicted to PvP, why don't you try Eve Online?

Eve Online is a different genre, and has different mechanics.
  • firefly113firefly113 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited May 2013
    ascher11t wrote: »
    Oh my goodness. You got killed twice a day! MADNESS! You poor baby! Do you need hot milk? Do you need a soft bed? awww.

And even got camped... once a week! once a week, you say? How anyone could deal with that!!

You're being patronizing when you don't need to be. Grow up.

Anyhow, I'm all for their plans for PvP. I'm comfortable with it. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action. I just want it to remain as it's going to be, a voluntary system.
    edited May 2013

In this case, it was needed. It's just ridiculous that you complain that you got killed 2 times a day, and camped at least once a week, and couldn't deal with it.
  • ysuuranysuuran Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with c3z! It would be nice to have a pvp server/shard, I like to play feeling scary to explore too deep or too far, always keeping an eye on everyone, this is the emotion from a real RPG, you preserve party, you keep friends around and things like that. It wouldn't hurt to have a separate server for it.
  • firefly113firefly113 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited May 2013
    In this case, it was needed. It's just ridiculous that you complain that you got killed 2 times a day, and camped at least once a week, and couldn't deal with it.

Right, and it's a matter of preference. You may like to be ganked more than twice a day and camped more than once a week. I don't.

With their intended plans, we can both have the play style we enjoy.

You're locked inside a mindset that a person's pathetic if they don't like to be ganked/camped. Well, that's all you. I'm not judging you for your playstyle, I just don't want your playstyle to rub off on the game and transform it into something that's detrimental to my playstyle.

Understand?

Edit: A separate PvP server would work too. If you have open PvP on one server, you'll have the people who don't mind getting ganked doing world quests and everyone else doing foundry. The rewards would have to be changed to reflect the risks.
  • elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can't imagine it being that hard to create a work around to make every area PvP-able to those who choose to want to PvP, like a toggle switch if you will.

Arguments about what's fun for different folks, why folks play and so on all aside.

Fundamental game mechanics would have to change. Consideration to ALL implications would have to be considered. The analysis and design would not be trivial, coding and testing would be significant. Blindly putting in a 'work around' as you said, well, the consequences of doing that without doing all that analysis and design work up front would be catastrophic. Potentials for unexpected side effects , griefing (deliberate or otherwise) all have to be considered.

Let's try a few examples...

1. Assume 'dueling' was added in regular areas. Two people start a fight. One gets hit. The one that's hit now runs around town. A friendly PvE healer heals them. Does that open the healer up to being attacked by the other guy in the duel?

If not, then you simply bring a few cleric and wizard buddies along to buff and heal you while you lay the smack down on your opponent. Your opponent immediately jumps on the forums complaining about it.

If it *does* (which would be what your surprised opponent will be spamming the forums asking for), then it's open to griefing. That PvE healer gets ganked for trying to help someone they thought was in trouble.

2. AoE side effects. All non combatants need to be unaffected by Aoe's cast by combatants (and vice versa). Otherwise its' wide open to grief play again.

3. If it's more open, like guild v guild, then the chokepoints become a problem. Guild A simply camps the entrance portal to whatever zone and ganks incoming enemy guild members before their screen even refreshes. same thing if you can attack someone at a campsite. Camp that, gank them immediately they res. Aoe's here too. can yo have multiple overlappng AoE's? Keeping some up and running CONSTANTLY at those chokepoints effectively do all kinds of nasty things. Plus all the same problems as one v one regarding non combatants.

AFK folks are wide open, folks often go afk at campsites. So campsites would have to be tweaked for your PvP folks , otherwise the forums once again fill up with folks complaining that they got 'ganked' at them.

Gear. PvP gear and Pve gear are very different. Do you really want the 'fun' of being in the wrong set at the wrong time? I can think of several ways to train some mobs over to another player, especially if they've just cast some Aoe thing that will draw aggro. If they're in their PvP gear then those mobs could easily gank them. Much fun and hilarity ensues (with once again a forum meltdown).

Those are just a FEW things that spring to mind from previous experiences in open world pvp games. There are provably many many others. Keeping PvP isolated from everyone else means that none of the above is possible, let alone al the design, develpment and testing that has to go into it.
    edited May 2013
    bman1978 wrote: »
    pvp is fun and creates real life villains. it would be awesome to have a bounty system.
    Hell yes, you know where im coming from.
    edited May 2013
    aendaeron wrote: »
    If you are so addicted to PvP, why don't you try Eve Online? Oh? Yes, it is a sub based game and you are too cheap. Bad luck for you, bro.
    What about Runescape then? It even has Full Loot.
    Open PvP will just hurt DD:NW. D&D does not consider PvP, hence it's not balanced for PvP.

Yet it has PvP for some reason then? You're not making sense here.
  • breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Should there be open world PVP similar to PerfectWorld?

Usually a bad idea. I like the way pvp is set up in this game. It is a separate element. If you want to pvp you can, if not its out of your area.
    edited May 2013

Anyhow, I'm all for their plans for PvP. I'm comfortable with it. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action. I just want it to remain as it's going to be, a voluntary system.

I dont see how these PvE'ers could disagree with toggable PvP so that they can stay out of it while the PvP'ers have their fun.
    In essence, thats voluntary and still open world PvP.
  • uberguberuberguber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Open world PvP would be difficult to implement in this game. The world is too instanced and linear. Entrances/exits to regions too easily controlled. I am not against OPvP. I played TERA and Aion. I think the 20v20 Gauntlgrym is as close as we are going to get.
    Noli sinere te ab improbis opprimi
  • vissaraavissaraa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Open world pvp ? No !!! God Save Us ...
  • elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hell yes, you know where im coming from.

Those who fail to learn from the mistakes of history are destined to repeat them.

UO had this at one point. The idea was that PK's would become wanted and 'good' players would for a posse and go after them.

In actuality, once a PK had a large enough bounty he'd log onto a second account, kill his PK character and collect the bounty himself (or have a buddy do it).

Final result was that most of us would simply put one single copper coin (or equivalent thereof) as the bounty when we got ganked.

This is the problem when folks are simply throwing out ideas here. It might sound cool, it might be something you think you would enjoy. No thought is given to how it turns out. (See the meltdown on foundry abuse).

There might be thousands of folks that would enjoy a particular feature, but if it can be abused, there are hundreds who will do so.
    edited May 2013

Cool it, he's expressing his concerns of how PvP can be annoying to those who dont want to participate, and this I think is the key to making it work. Nobody wants to get jumped or camped and all that, its annoying. If there was a way to cater to both sides then I think it can be done right.

Toggle switch I think would be the best solution to make all adventure areas PvP'able whilst leaving the PvE'ers out of the picture.
  • dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Should there be open world PVP similar to PerfectWorld?

There would have to be an open world first I would think. The game is all instanced, and there already is instanced pvp so...
    edited May 2013
    ysuuran wrote: »
    I agree with c3z! It would be nice to have a pvp server/shard, I like to play feeling scary to explore too deep or too far, always keeping an eye on everyone, this is the emotion from a real RPG, you preserve party, you keep friends around and things like that. It wouldn't hurt to have a separate server for it.

Yes, exaclty, its like really role playing and emotions do get involved, people get mad at eachother and create frienemies. Factions will stick out more, the stronger ones will own the weaker ones, the weaker ones will merge with the stronger ones, so much can happen if there was a way to keep the PvE players happy and out of the picture while sharing the same world.
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    braxzana wrote: »
    No, not "no" but HELLS no.
    This. Expand on teamfight skirmishes(but NEVER do just deathmatches, its worst kind of PvP MMO can have) with objectives.

The only exception I could agree would be to mimic the wows alterac valley of old times.
    edited May 2013
    Right, and it's a matter of preference. You may like to be ganked more than twice a day and camped more than once a week. I don't.

With their intended plans, we can both have the play style we enjoy.

You're locked inside a mindset that a person's pathetic if they don't like to be ganked/camped. Well, that's all you. I'm not judging you for your playstyle, I just don't want your playstyle to rub off on the game and transform it into something that's detrimental to my playstyle.

Understand?

Edit: A separate PvP server would work too. If you have open PvP on one server, you'll have the people who don't mind getting ganked doing world quests and everyone else doing foundry. The rewards would have to be changed to reflect the risks.

Seperate server, or a toggle switch for PvP/PvE mode would make this a dream come true and would attract all players. More players potentially means more money for NW.

So seperate server PvP or Toggable PvP seems to be like the only way to make this open world PvP concept close to feasible.
    edited May 2013
    So seperate server PvP or Toggable PvP seems to be like the only way to make this open world PvP concept close to feasible.

The economics are not there for a separate server (keep in mind that with the exceptions of mounts, cash shop items aren't' PvP, they're PvE only). 'sides which, all servers are going to be merged in the future.

I've pointed out a slew of things about toggle switches. It all come down to a cost versus profit question. Development costs are tremendous for little to no return.
  • santentsantent Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Any kind of PvP is wanted. Just make it an instanced PvP Battleground that you que for.
    [SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
    || Guild Recruitment Thread || Guild Web Site ||
  • pantamimepantamime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9MDyYeIKTww#t=195s

Just watch how dodgy his answers to the open world pvp question is. "In a way .... yes. I'm gonna put it that way." This interview was done before BW4, and we all know there is no form, what so ever, of open world pvp.

So in what way did he mean yes? Hell even Guantlgrym isn't available yet.

I just don't think this game is set up for OWPvP. It isn't like EQ, ShadowBane, DAoC etc..

On top of all the different issues and complications elawyn has pointed out, the zones themselves don't hold enough players. I know what kind of feeling you guys are talking about with OWPvP, I played for a long time on EQ Sullon Zek server which was a Diety based faction pvp type. And it was awesome. This game just could't ever give that same kind of feeling due to barely any open world travel time, no factions what so ever, no reall reason for people to be pvping.

Those other games had an underlying reason behind the conflict. I think the best we can hope for is more PvP modes but they will all be voluntary and separate from the main zones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PVPer rocking it Solo queue style since the dawn of Neverwinter
  • akostisakostis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    @'s It ends up pushing away prospective new players...

Regards
    edited May 2013
    elawyn wrote: »
    Arguments about what's fun for different folks, why folks play and so on all aside.

Fundamental game mechanics would have to change. Consideration to ALL implications would have to be considered. The analysis and design would not be trivial, coding and testing would be significant. Blindly putting in a 'work around' as you said, well, the consequences of doing that without doing all that analysis and design work up front would be catastrophic. Potentials for unexpected side effects , griefing (deliberate or otherwise) all have to be considered.

Let's try a few examples...

1. Assume 'dueling' was added in regular areas. Two people start a fight. One gets hit. The one that's hit now runs around town. A friendly PvE healer heals them. Does that open the healer up to being attacked by the other guy in the duel?

Duels in every other MMO never seemed to have this problem, duels are just duels, friendly duels. In PW I was able to be healed by a cleric even if I was in a duel, but its not like you gain or lose anything from a duel, its just an option like every other MMO. As noticed in other MMO's, NO, the healer wouldn't be targeted b/c tradition duel systems are one on one, no matter who gets involved with healing. Dont overthink whats already been done a thousand times. It sucks when such an expected feature isnt in the game. And jsut for the record, play any other MMO, you can duel ANYWHERE, its strictly right then and then, usualy on a countdown from 3, and you get nothing from it besides bragging rights, big whoop if a healer heals you in a duel, go duel in private if you want to "seriously" duel.

2. AoE side effects. All non combatants need to be unaffected by Aoe's cast by combatants (and vice versa). Otherwise its' wide open to grief play again.

Already been done before in other MMO's. THey have toggles for that. Some based on unseen variables some based on things like name color. Toggles that omit friendly or unhostile creatures from AoE Damage and omits hostile creatures from healing.

3. If it's more open, like guild v guild, then the chokepoints become a problem. Guild A simply camps the entrance portal to whatever zone and ganks incoming enemy guild members before their screen even refreshes. same thing if you can attack someone at a campsite. Camp that, gank them immediately they res. Aoe's here too. can yo have multiple overlappng AoE's? Keeping some up and running CONSTANTLY at those chokepoints effectively do all kinds of nasty things. Plus all the same problems as one v one regarding non combatants.

Teleport scrolls fix the problem. Selectable respawns/checkpoints could fix the problem. No PvP near campfires or at campsites fixes the problem.

AFK folks are wide open, folks often go afk at campsites. So campsites would have to be tweaked for your PvP folks , otherwise the forums once again fill up with folks complaining that they got 'ganked' at them.

No PvP near a campfire could fix it.

Gear. PvP gear and Pve gear are very different. Do you really want the 'fun' of being in the wrong set at the wrong time? I can think of several ways to train some mobs over to another player, especially if they've just cast some Aoe thing that will draw aggro. If they're in their PvP gear then those mobs could easily gank them. Much fun and hilarity ensues (with once again a forum meltdown).

If thats how you would want to PvP then go ahead. WRong set, wrong time though is a good point, thats why it would come down to how they would choose to incorporate the PvP/PvE..

I think the only way to blend it would be to give the PvE people the option to exclude themselves from the PvP players.
    Just like a PvP: On/Off.
    PvE'ers are happy, PvP'ers are happy.

Making a server seperate for PvP and PvE is another way but thats probably a more drastic step.
    If they will be able to mix PvP/PvE with the endgame dungeon,
    then they might be able to do it for the other adventure zones.

Those are just a FEW things that spring to mind from previous experiences in open world pvp games. There are provably many many others. Keeping PvP isolated from everyone else means that none of the above is possible, let alone al the design, develpment and testing that has to go into it.

Thats not to say it can't be done though.
    They can utilize the the same codes they already have,
    the whole friendly/hostile faction thing going on.
    Even throughout quests it can toggle NPC's from friendly, hostile, then back to friendly.
    I figure you can use the same functionality somehow to make this PvP/PvE community co-exist without interfering with eachother.