test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Take a stand against Cash Shop Prices

lorenzomaltalorenzomalta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 30 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I got a shop of my own and i been open for 5 years now, in those 5 years i learned that high prices give u less income then low prices. the best solution for the high prices in the cash shop is not to BUY anything and after a month or two Cryptic/PWE will realize there tactics are not working and will have to eventually lower the prices or give a better deal.
Post edited by lorenzomalta on

Comments

• Options
    drzeyusdrzeyus Banned Users Posts: 87
    edited May 2013
    I know this is great i already have been doing this. I wont spend a dime on this game. Which sucks cause the people that go ahead and do are now way better and have a huge advantage against others who dont spend the HUGE amount of cash needed to get a top tier character.

So much for not being a pay to win game
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why should I be inconvenienced just because other people think some items are overpriced?

In all fairness I also think some items are overpriced. Those items I just wont buy. That doesn't mean I will boycott the whole thing entirely.
  • Options
    shiroiojikashiroiojika Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cash shops are great, go get a job hippies !
    Druid.jpg
  • Options
    dadeleviathandadeleviathan Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    drzeyus wrote: »
    I know this is great i already have been doing this. I wont spend a dime on this game. Which sucks cause the people that go ahead and do are now way better and have a huge advantage against others who dont spend the HUGE amount of cash needed to get a top tier character.

To be honest, I'm not too broken up about it, since the only facet that is pay-to-win is PvP, and PvP currently sucks in this game.

Vote with your wallet, and hopefully PWE will come around. Better prices are conductive to a better community, which will be conductive to a better game, which in turn will make PWE more money in the long run.

The upside is that this game is very much F2P. They have the philosophy of micro-transactions down, for the most part, its their pricing that they are stumbling on.
  • Options
    bcrlariasbcrlarias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Take a stand!

Wait, seriously? You get worked up about a ****ing video game but you don't know who the Secretary of State is? (For US people)
  • Options
    solresolsolresol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Someone needs to open a Walmart Zen store!

I do agree, the inflation with AD prices is outright ridiculous, the Zen? Meh, I only buy keys now and then anyhow
  • Options
    jozzan66jozzan66 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well. I just bought founders pack, but im no whining spoiled kid so..
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    Why should I be inconvenienced just because other people think some items are overpriced?

In all fairness I also think some items are overpriced. Those items I just wont buy. That doesn't mean I will boycott the whole thing entirely.

wait. How are you being inconvenienced because some people are choosing not to buy something? Are you inconvenienced because I don't eat at Arby's?
  • Options
    edited May 2013

What a ridiculous statement. Yeah that bag someone buys gives them a HUGE advantage against others...
  • Options
    wildheart18wildheart18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I got a shop of my own and i been open for 5 years now, in those 5 years i learned that high prices give u less income then low prices. the best solution for the high prices in the cash shop is not to BUY anything and after a month or two Cryptic/PWE will realize there tactics are not working and will have to eventually lower the prices or give a better deal.

Believe it or not...PWE / Cryptic Tactics with prices are working very well.
    All there games have high prices in the zen market or what it is called for each game

The Departement in the US has only existed in 5-6 years, and they has already bought the first company Cryptic Studios cause the income from there online games is high...yes they are greedy but its working
  • Options
    lorenzomaltalorenzomalta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Btw don't feed the trolls like this guy not worth the time :)
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    income does not equal profit . A business can have a high income and still go bankrupt .
    What will carry this game is the ' keys ' just like STO . The rest they don't really care if they sell or not .
  • Options
    xxviimbxxviimb Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not pay to win.....but I do agree the prices could come down a smidgen.
    "You have a wife and kids? If so, what would happen, if we called you in at 1am, everytime something went wrong!
    Be respectful, remember, you PLAY the game at your convenience, they WORK at no ones."
  • Options
    clurdgeclurdge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Btw don't feed the trolls like this guy not worth the time :)

Ironically you are the only one so far to reply to him.....guess it was worth your time......
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wait. How are you being inconvenienced because some people are choosing not to buy something? Are you inconvenienced because I don't eat at Arby's?

Did you even read the original post?
    the best solution for the high prices in the cash shop is not to BUY anything and after a month or two Cryptic/PWE will realize there tactics are not working and will have to eventually lower the prices or give a better deal.

The poster is suggesting that nobody, and not just "some people", should buy anything from the store. As some items make life easier by suggesting I don't buy them that is suggesting an inconvenience to me. Its simple if you find an item overpriced don't buy it. But to suggest everyone boycott the store is silly.
  • Options
    shattrnerdsshattrnerds Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Achieving goals and progressing your characters are traditionally meant to be earned via gametime investment. MMORPG's are timesinks. They were never meant to be profit vehicles for impatient players that choose not to earn their achievements like the majority. If you do not have the time, patience or skill to endure an MMORPG's time requirements to achieve your goals...I feel like you are playing the wrong game.

That being said, I have no issue with the monetization of cosmetic/vanity items. I do, however, believe that charging $$ for items that give players an advantage over others is flawed at the core. All items that directly increase a player's efficiency, power, leveling speed, survivability, etc should ALL be obtained via playing the game/earning them.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    income does not equal profit . A business can have a high income and still go bankrupt .
    What will carry this game is the ' keys ' just like STO . The rest they don't really care if they sell or not .

What will carry this game is the ' whales ' just like all other games with social game monetization strategies. The rest they don't really care if they pay or not.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    Did you even read the original post?

The poster is suggesting that nobody, and not just "some people", should buy anything from the store. As some items make life easier by suggesting I don't buy them that is suggesting an inconvenience to me. Its simple if you find an item overpriced don't buy it. But to suggest everyone boycott the store is silly.

I apologize. I didn't realize he was holding a gun to your head and forcing you to not buy anything. My mistake.

It's quite simple: If you don't want to stop buying things from the cash shop... THEN DON'T.

OH GOD THAT WAS SO EASY HOW COME NOBODY TOLD YOU ABOUT THAT SOONER?!
  • Options
    candiflavorcandiflavor Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont think cashshop give you any big advantages, all it does is makes it more convenience for you and easier to level, quest etc... the BAG is a big factor :p. hate having to throw away items cuz not enough room. If i were to complaint about this game it would be the BANK. its very stupid, so little space for a bank, worse of all you can't even deposite your gold or AD to transfer between your char. What kind of bank that doesn't let you deposite or withraw money????
  • Options
    banicksbanicks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited May 2013

This I don't get, pay to win what exactly?

There are no fancy armour sets or swords that you will never achieve by playing the game without spending a cent on zen.

So again, how is it pay to win?

Let's say you want to take the argument as, selling zen on the exchange gets you AD. Ok, and with that AD you can get some half decent blue gear from the AD saleslady. But, that gear isn't the best. It's on par with greens at level 60, let alone blues and purples from epic dungeons.

Let's go ahead and look at professions then, yea it's nice to RNG profession items. Then perhaps sell them, trade them, for what you are after, but it doesn't power level you, it will at best decrease your profession time by 25% and give you a few advantages to create items for which you still have to spend the time to level the profession to access and make.

There is quite literally no pay to win in this game. Only pay to access features, vanity items or perhaps lets say get a headstart on professions. Other than that, there is no pay to win.

So would everyone please stop ranting off on a P2W stint when you're just crying you can't be a special snowflake with a fancy mount.
    Oceanic Neverwinter Online Guild: http://19thbattalion.com/
  • Options
    wctp0wackowctp0wacko Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shrug, if people have the money... let them buy whatever they want... supply and demand. if you don't like it, don't buy it.
  • Options
    mikael74mikael74 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Says the one with a druid in his sig. :rolleyes:
    I play as a control wizard and when it comes down to it... it's all about the freeze.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's quite simple: If you don't want to stop buying things from the cash shop... THEN DON'T.

Thank you for giving me your permission. That's all I needed. I'm off for now.. Going to buy some stuff from the Zen tore that gives me a HUGE advantage over everyone else. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    gralgrathorgralgrathor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/11/meet-the-whales/

They don't need a lot of people buying $1 stuff, whales are the ones that bring in the profits. They have zero reason to charge reasonable prices.
    “A whale is a player that is willing to invest a significant amount of money in your game,” said Jared Psigoda, CEO of the browser game publisher Reality Squared Games, at Game Developers Conference Europe in August. “For most publishers out there … a handful of players make up a significant percentage of revenue, specifically once you get into the mid-hard-core, free-to-play type model.”
  • Options
    kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm off to go spend 100$ in the cash shop now. That bear looks cool, and I think I might try to win me a Nightmare tonight
  • Options
    mofugli1mofugli1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    Anyone that is smart enough to benefit from the floating virtual currency exchange will never have to put a dime into this game.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Achieving goals and progressing your characters are traditionally meant to be earned via gametime investment. MMORPG's are timesinks. They were never meant to be profit vehicles for impatient players that choose not to earn their achievements like the majority. If you do not have the time, patience or skill to endure an MMORPG's time requirements to achieve your goals...I feel like you are playing the wrong game.

That golden era of MMOs is gone Im afraid. It was replaced with a marketing strategy of players rewarding the companies for designing enough irritation into the game to entice players to pay to circumvent said designed irritation.

People think p2w absolutely must mean that theres no other way of doing it then paying, but that definition hasnt fit the marketing bill for quite some time now. The more recent strategy is pay for convenience, knowing that the sheer level of inconveience that will be experienced by not paying is being avoided. This is why most 'quality of life" features are monetized - as not having any one of those features seems pretty trivial, but not having them all adds up to far more inconvenience in orders of magnitude, compared to those who paid to circumvent.

Timesync is avoided by moneysync. Im not saying I fully agree with it, but rather calling a spade a spade.
  • Options
    stringsestringse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    The cash shop is fine to me. It should stay the same with minor changes.
  • Options
    peterfspeterfs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    What will carry this game is the ' whales ' just like all other games with social game monetization strategies. The rest they don't really care if they pay or not.

This whale is ready to take a HARD and DEEP bilking.
  • Options
    gurankoguranko Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    in the games current state it can look like a pay to win game but once other items that are not in game come to the game it will even things out. here is a list of current things that make this look like a pay 2 win:
    companions from the shop can achieve higher lvls then ingame bought or quest given ones... Fix for it will be when they instate the books to upgrade companions.
    rank 5-6 runes.... fix try your luck on fusing them you can make it to lvl 4-5 ones with little to no breaking
    outside of these I personally see as pay to win. These do have fixes coming soon we just have to wait for them. outside of that this is a great f2p game and I will be anjoying it a lot.