What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Take a stand against Cash Shop Prices

2»

Comments

• shattrnerdsshattrnerds Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    That golden era of MMOs is gone Im afraid. It was replaced with a marketing strategy of players rewarding the companies for designing enough irritation into the game to entice players to pay to circumvent said designed irritation.

People think p2w absolutely must mean that theres no other way of doing it then paying, but that definition hasnt fit the marketing bill for quite some time now. The more recent strategy is pay for convenience, knowing that the sheer level of inconveience that will be experienced by not paying is being avoided. This is why most 'quality of life" features are monetized - as not having any one of those features seems pretty trivial, but not having them all adds up to far more inconvenience in orders of magnitude, compared to those who paid to circumvent.

Timesync is avoided by moneysync. Im not saying I fully agree with it, but rather calling a spade a spade.

Well said Chai, I agree with 100%. I sincerely hope that I can find a new MMO that retains the core mechanisms that made the memorable MMO timesinks so...memorable :p. I feel like this p2w/p4convenience model truly hurts a game's development and is unsustainable to the genre. I am optimistic that someday there will be an MMO released that adheres to the morals and values of prior great titles and rekindles my passion for the genre.
  • zeuseason411zeuseason411 Member Posts: 107
    edited May 2013
    I won't be buying anything. I'll just quit playing in time.
  • psych0zerpsych0zer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I got a shop of my own and i been open for 5 years now, in those 5 years i learned that high prices give u less income then low prices. the best solution for the high prices in the cash shop is not to BUY anything and after a month or two Cryptic/PWE will realize there tactics are not working and will have to eventually lower the prices or give a better deal.

they dont force you to buy...
    :)
  • highlandglenhighlandglen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    I won't be buying anything. I'll just quit playing in time.

yep....ditto

They may not force us to buy, but they Want us to buy.
  • squeezoid13squeezoid13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i dont have problem with cash shops, i like them... in all the games i used to play and play right now i always buy things, mounts, costumes, its ok i like to get pretty things and support the game, but 60$ for a mount???????? dude thats a new game full price, or millions of gems in other games just for 1 item.... i dont care spend that much in diferent micro transactions, hell i probably end up paying more without even notice if the prices where low, 5$ for a mount and 10$ for an epic its perfect... see that way i want all the **** mounts.. so im gonna pay more than 60$ to catch em all....not 60$ for 1 and never spending 1cent on this..
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As far as I know the most expensive mounts are $40 not $60. Just to clarify. Which is still pricey but not as pricey.
  • tacowizardtacowizard Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The fact that everything is so expensive in general just turns me off from the cash shop all together. $10 per bag per character?! That's just insulting to me. I don't know where they got their pricing data from but it seems insanely high compared to other F2P games that I've tried. The fact that EVERYTHING costs money from changing your companions name to removing gems is annoying as well. I feel like every two seconds I'm being asked to spend some AD.

I will get as far as I can without spending any money and if I can still be competitive at end game then great but if not I will probably quit. This game desperately needs a monthly subscription option.
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cash shops are great, go get a job hippies !

Says the "druid"...I chuckled.
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can't sell goods at high prices and survive? Really?

Ferrari, Louis Vutton et al would like a word...

Yes, I know this game isn't a "luxury item", but most everything in the cash shop most certainly *is*. There is absolutely nothing there you need to drop cash on and still be able to enjoy *everything* the game offers - mounts can be bought with gold, you get a couple more bags via questing, you're given a companion....

It's not like you can spend $50 for a Sword of 10 Uberness, and have an edge on other players.

Also, seeing as this is not PWI's first F2P game, I would suspect that they've done a bit of market research into what they can charge for their product, and have plenty of data from other games to back up their pricing. Random users (even business owners) saying "The price is too **** high!" means nothing if their research says "Yes, you'll get plenty of people to drop $30 on a companion. The demand will certainly be there." The fact that I'm seeing people with those items indicates that PWI is correct - people will pay that much. Having the more expensive items also allows users to have that feeling of being special - and yes, some might like the attention they get from people gawking at their companion or mount. That feeling isn't there is *everyone* is spending $5 for the same.
  • petraabellipetraabelli Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cdnbison wrote: »
    You can't sell goods at high prices and survive? Really?

Ferrari, Louis Vutton et al would like a word...

Yes, I know this game isn't a "luxury item", but most everything in the cash shop most certainly *is*. There is absolutely nothing there you need to drop cash on and still be able to enjoy *everything* the game offers - mounts can be bought with gold, you get a couple more bags via questing, you're given a companion....

It's not like you can spend $50 for a Sword of 10 Uberness, and have an edge on other players.

Also, seeing as this is not PWI's first F2P game, I would suspect that they've done a bit of market research into what they can charge for their product, and have plenty of data from other games to back up their pricing. Random users (even business owners) saying "The price is too **** high!" means nothing if their research says "Yes, you'll get plenty of people to drop $30 on a companion. The demand will certainly be there." The fact that I'm seeing people with those items indicates that PWI is correct - people will pay that much. Having the more expensive items also allows users to have that feeling of being special - and yes, some might like the attention they get from people gawking at their companion or mount. That feeling isn't there is *everyone* is spending $5 for the same.

Luxury goods cater to a small consumer base, that's not a good model for a MMO for obvious reasons. This just pushes away the playerbase and is why people call this type of system a cash grab. The game will be healthy for a few months then the people who aren't going to pay that premium are going to leave and it'll end up being just like all those other dead MMOs, with the exception of a really neat foundry system.
  • tacowizardtacowizard Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cdnbison wrote: »

Also, seeing as this is not PWI's first F2P game, I would suspect that they've done a bit of market research into what they can charge for their product, and have plenty of data from other games to back up their pricing. Random users (even business owners) saying "The price is too **** high!" means nothing if their research says "Yes, you'll get plenty of people to drop $30 on a companion. The demand will certainly be there." The fact that I'm seeing people with those items indicates that PWI is correct - people will pay that much.

One guy buys your pixels for $50. 50 guys buy your pixels for $10. Which is better?

PWE doesn't exactly have a stellar track record for F2P MMO's so maybe they shouldn't be relying so much on their "research".
  • oioleihihuoioleihihu Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    I got a shop of my own and i been open for 5 years now, in those 5 years i learned that high prices give u less income then low prices. the best solution for the high prices in the cash shop is not to BUY anything and after a month or two Cryptic/PWE will realize there tactics are not working and will have to eventually lower the prices or give a better deal.

Kudos
    drzeyus wrote: »
    I know this is great i already have been doing this. I wont spend a dime on this game. Which sucks cause the people that go ahead and do are now way better and have a huge advantage against others who dont spend the HUGE amount of cash needed to get a top tier character.

So much for not being a pay to win game

Yeah, I fell ya, kudos.
    rapticor wrote: »
    Why should I be inconvenienced just because other people think some items are overpriced?

In all fairness I also think some items are overpriced. Those items I just wont buy. That doesn't mean I will boycott the whole thing entirely.

Your "guild" is a sad excuse of unskilled fan-boys with no regard for money whatsoever that want this game to be pay 2 win so you can feel kind of a pro super skilled player, I don't like you at all... And your argument is invalid
    so much for so little, the world has too many dumb people, but wth? That's how they make money!
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tacowizard wrote: »
    One guy buys your pixels for $50. 50 guys buy your pixels for $10. Which is better?

Or only 4 people end up buying those pixels for $10. In that case which is better?
  • glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I got a shop of my own and i been open for 5 years now, in those 5 years i learned that high prices give u less income then low prices.

Sure you do, and I am a Swedish Super Model.

Is your shop Free 2 Play or do I actually have to buy stuff? Cause if everything's not free than your shop sucks. I hate it and you are greedy and we should all boycott it.
  • lucidp2klucidp2k Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a shop of my own and I have been open for 5 years now, in those 5 years I've learned that high prices give you less income as compared to low prices. The best solution for the high prices in the cash shop is not to BUY anything and after a month or two Cryptic/PWE will realize their tactics are not working and will have to eventually lower the prices or give a better deal.

If you're going to attempt to convince people you're a business owner, invest in Hooked on Phonics before speaking next time.
    gwhEUci.png
    Spend less time complaining about shop prices and more time improving your salary.
  • sata77sata77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lucidp2k wrote: »
    If you're going to attempt to convince people you're a business owner, invest in Hooked on Phonics before speaking next time.

Plenty of individuals run successful operations without the need for impeccable English skills. I'm sure this fact rustles your jimmies but alas it's a reality.