test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dungeons: Too Many Adds

reskalreskal Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in PvE Discussion
Okay. Let me preface this by saying I do not feel that dungeons need to be easier, or simpler.
I also believe that adds with some bosses certainly have their place. But there are too many.

There are a lot of bosses in this game that have fantastic abilities. Dodging Chartifilax's poison sprays, explosions, and zones all the while being snared by little imp adds was hectic and fantastic. Some of the bosses in the Hotenow area are great -- dropping those AoE meteors in the correct position, and finding a proper place to stand to avoid cc shooting out of the ground is all a lot of fun.

So my question is: Why do these boss fights need adds as well? Boss mechanics are what give a MMO a change of pace. My experience has been that bosses themselves aren't the real threat. For example, fighting Idris was entertaining for the most part -- positioning to avoid being dazed and trying to maintain maximum uptime on the boss was fun. But Idris wasn't the threat in this boss fight. Her adds were.

Why can't the boss mechanics be more dangerous, and slim down the number of adds a boss will spawn? The damage of boss mechanics can be tuned upwards to keep the overall difficulty of the encounter the same.
Post edited by reskal on

Comments

• Options
    r3djayr3djay Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah. I wish there was a class designed to control the boss' minions. Maybe some sort of a caster, with arcane and frost magic. That would be great.
  • Options
    abradaxabradax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 64
    edited May 2013
    The bigger problem is the people that ignore them because killing them doesnt make the boss health bar drop so they don't matter.
    Lieutenant Johnathan "Seven" Abradax
    Liberated Borg -Captain USS Solstice
    Member of Starfleet Borg Task Force - Tactical Unit
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    r3djay wrote: »
    Yeah. I wish there was a class designed to control the boss' minions. Maybe some sort of a caster, with arcane and frost magic. That would be great.

Yeah, or that other guy he is designed to team up with to kill the minions; you know the guy with the huge sword...
  • Options
    warbossenfowarbossenfo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Make sure you do not bring a guardian - as they just are a blatant detriment to any group t2+ as compared to all the other classes.

2-3 clerics, and 1-2 rogue/wiz/weapon fighter is all you need.

If you have a guardian in your group and you wipe - the fault is on you for allowing them to stay.
  • Options
    symonhumbleuksymonhumbleuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    It would be much better if they simply fixed the tanks aggro so they can "tank" properly.
    At the moment, tanking is not how you know it.

Even if you gain the mobs attention 2 things happen, a cleric casts a heal and pull everything in a radius of 1000 miles, or a wizard decided to knock them everywhere, making tanking even harder.

We should be able to pull adds/mobs etc etc, and keep them intrested in us.
    I think a daily power should of been to suck the mobs towards the tank, and hold that aggro, but that's not how it is.
    My Web: http://www.symonator.net
    Toons:
    New: CW Level 60
    GF = Level 60
    DC = Level 60
    TR = Level 60
  • Options
    katszckatszc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    meh, I've yet to fight a fun boss other than the bigger mobs in the outside world.
    I've done a few bosses and the mechanics of all bosses have been, honestly, too easy to figure the boss out, I can pretty much pre-determine what the boss is gonna do the most, know what? Exactly, spawn mobs, it's so overused in this game lol.

The difficulty of what I've done so far is pretty much based on how many adds there are, the skills the bosses I've done so far use are too easy to figure out, huge red bloody circles/cones saying don't stand here or you'll take some damage.
    Rest is, adds, adds, adds, and more bloody adds.

Overused mechanic is overused.
    Remove red circles from anything that can be seen on boss movements, for example if he's about to attack with some kind of breath attack, remove that dumb cone of red.
    Lessen the amount of adds drastically due it's just plain boring, add more skill to bosses, where you actually have to pay attention.
    "Oh, some red stuff is on the ground, I better move"

lol.

Luckily I'm more for PvP, but I do like some PvE, but what I've seen so far is too predictable, and the adds are just overused.
  • Options
    warbossenfowarbossenfo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    katszc wrote: »
    meh, I've yet to fight a fun boss other than the bigger mobs in the outside world.
    I've done a few bosses and the mechanics of all bosses have been, honestly, too easy to figure the boss out, I can pretty much pre-determine what the boss is gonna do the most, know what? Exactly, spawn mobs, it's so overused in this game lol.

The difficulty of what I've done so far is pretty much based on how many adds there are, the skills the bosses I've done so far use are too easy to figure out, huge red bloody circles/cones saying don't stand here or you'll take some damage.
    Rest is, adds, adds, adds, and more bloody adds.

Overused mechanic is overused.
    Remove red circles from anything that can be seen on boss movements, for example if he's about to attack with some kind of breath attack, remove that dumb cone of red.
    Lessen the amount of adds drastically due it's just plain boring, add more skill to bosses, where you actually have to pay attention.
    "Oh, some red stuff is on the ground, I better move"

lol.

Luckily I'm more for PvP, but I do like some PvE, but what I've seen so far is too predictable, and the adds are just overused.

To many people still get hit standing in the red circles and PWE needs their money.

Red circles/lines/cones stay.
  • Options
    lpsxlpsx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    are Bosses going 2start too drop Gems? or is that after L60?
  • Options
    lordhordelordhorde Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    Whenever I que up for a dungeon I know it`s going to be the same thing no matter which I que for. Endboss with a ton of hp and spawns never ending adds. I can accept that the developers choice for increasing difficulty was to go this crappy route but the thing that effects me the most is my framerate drops a lot during some of these fights because of all the mobs. Combined with all the spells and effects and numerous mobs onscreen it can make you feel like you are playing in slow motion. Perhaps maybe use lower rez/poly resources for some of these fights.
  • Options
    arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You sarcastic ****ers talking about Control Wizards and Great Weapon Fighters don't really get it.

Many end bosses, specifically dragons such as in Mad Dragon or Karrundax, there's infinite adds. You can never kill them fast enough because soon as they die, they instantly respawn. There isn't enough CC in the game even on a CW to continuously CC 2 harder mobs and 4 regular mobs especially when they are ranged and elite (meaning they don't just flop over dead). You can't even really tank them very well because of the range which basically means the Cleric is going to have to tank them and just deal with them banging on him the entire fight.

Other fights where you can kill the adds are perfectly fine, or two smaller adds keep coming (such as Vault and the two intellect devourers that constantly spawn) because those are manageable situations. The periods on bosses where they summon adds and you deal with them and they go down is perfectly fine as well (and can be quite challenging).

Having instantly respawning adds is a bit absurd however and just makes certain fights/dungeons impossible to do if your group isn't on the top of their game.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • Options
    ulyxosulyxos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    I think adds are there because they are the real threat like they should... Take 5 person agains any one foe and you get a dead foe. You can concentrate all your attention at all time on it and nothing it does will threathen you unless you dont pay attention. Add mobs around with a mix of attacks that must be dealt with with varying priorities now you have a fight. My point is there is only so much a single mob can do to a group of players. Bosses as they are already pretty much one shot people who fail to dodge their attacks ... What else would they do... give them gazillions HP would just make the fight longer, AE that hit harder would still be simple to dodge if you only have the boss to deal with, AE harder to dodge would just be annoying since fight would be more of a dance marathon.

I would change one thing with adds or with normal mobs in quest hubs, make them a short animation before their first hit to facilitate kiting. Mind-flayers are annoying for glass canon fight as well as large groups of charging mobs since they deal their first hit as soon as they are next to you. If you are questing its not so bad you can use potions to power through but in a boss fight the mobs will usually kill you before you can even react. Range adds do not have this kind of problem since their attack has an built-in charge time.
  • Options
    okaminosukeokaminosuke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Adds can be annoying but that's what Control Wizards are for. You should always have one in your group. For some bosses two CW in a group would make things a lot easier.

Ofc I assume that CWs know what they are doing.
  • Options
    smackzor123smackzor123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is just poor development into the Dungeons. Copy paste totally every single boss in every single Dungeon. Either it takes too long and people wanna leave by the end or after a wipe in the last boss or its impossible to complete. Either u have 2 Clerics blue circle or you aint doing any dungeon. Sucks that the only one worth running is Pirate =/
  • Options
    applepotatoepieapplepotatoepie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Way too many adds in this game. Wait until you get to T2 Epic Dread Vault.

You fight the boss on a circular platform, which has outer rings that constantly fall off. At the end of the fight (around 10%) you are left on a tiny platform with at least 30 mobs up at all times. ALL times. You can only take about 15 steps without falling off said platform.

There were so many adds our instance actually locked up and we wiped. Came back for another round and got the kill. I'm not sure how that fight would have been possible without 2 CW to control adds 100% and 2 Rogues to duo the boss. That only leaves room for Cleric.

It's a similar story for Epic Mad Dragon. Guardian Fighter really needs some loving to AOE taunt these adds or at least stop forcing the queue to wait on one -- they're pretty much useless. Lowering the spawn rate on adds would help too.
  • Options
    mannerothemannerothe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a cleric, what I did was pretty simple during a boss fight. Put up a astral seal, and then spend the next 10 minutes shift-evading. It got old the first 20 dungeons I did. It never changed. On any boss. It was the SAME EXACT FIGHT, repeated endlessly. This is what I hate, HATE about this game. It's also why I gave up my level 46 cleric. Dungeons are just a serious pain. I don't want to tank. But yet, that's what people are telling me I need to set up as.

I agree. I'm tired of all the adds. The same exact fight. 20 bosses, and 20 fights that had me doing the same thing. A boss without endless adds would have been unique. I'm trying out a control mage now, but they're squishy, and wind up shift evading, all over the place. I tried out a guard, too, but no one's killing the adds, so they wind up flanking me and I take tons of damage. People aren't getting they need to kill adds. On the plus side, I CAN'T shift evade...

Soloing on the cleric got to be old. I couldn't kill stuff fast, so I'd get swarmed, and have to shift evade through fights. So they became just like the stuff I hated about the dungeons. Employing the same tactic for every single fight lacks imagination. I can't even do foundry stuff. People have it set up where I have to fight tons of adds, as well.
  • Options
    zalathorm7zalathorm7 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ulyxos wrote: »
    I think adds are there because they are the real threat like they should... Take 5 person agains any one foe and you get a dead foe. You can concentrate all your attention at all time on it and nothing it does will threathen you unless you dont pay attention. Add mobs around with a mix of attacks that must be dealt with with varying priorities now you have a fight. My point is there is only so much a single mob can do to a group of players. Bosses as they are already pretty much one shot people who fail to dodge their attacks ... What else would they do... give them gazillions HP would just make the fight longer, AE that hit harder would still be simple to dodge if you only have the boss to deal with, AE harder to dodge would just be annoying since fight would be more of a dance marathon.

I would change one thing with adds or with normal mobs in quest hubs, make them a short animation before their first hit to facilitate kiting. Mind-flayers are annoying for glass canon fight as well as large groups of charging mobs since they deal their first hit as soon as they are next to you. If you are questing its not so bad you can use potions to power through but in a boss fight the mobs will usually kill you before you can even react. Range adds do not have this kind of problem since their attack has an built-in charge time.

I mean no offense, but you lack both imagination and experience it seems. There are hundreds of ways to make encounters difficult without add spawns. I started typing them out, but realized how long that would take. In my experience, both eq1 and eq2 were excellent at making difficult fights without addspawn, and even when there were adds, it wasn't necessarily about the waves of them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I like fights with adds, and I like the "many versus many" concept, rather than the "many versus one" tank and spank mentality of most MMOs. That said, it does show a very serious lack of imagination when every boss fight uses nearly identical mechanics (even if they want to spawn adds, there's more than one way to go about it) and it makes Guardian Fighters next to useless when the aggro mechanics aren't powerful or sophisticated enough to hold the attention of any of the mobs, nevermind trying to hold aggro on more than one.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • Options
    yukishiro3yukishiro3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    There are too many adds. Especially of the infinitely respawning variety. That sort of thing is fine now and then but it seems to be basically slapped onto every single boss in the game and it makes all boss fights not only similar but lame. Especially if you play a cleric and just spend all fight tanking them because tanks can't tank in this game and healing threat is ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Make sure you do not bring a guardian - as they just are a blatant detriment to any group t2+ as compared to all the other classes.

2-3 clerics, and 1-2 rogue/wiz/weapon fighter is all you need.

If you have a guardian in your group and you wipe - the fault is on you for allowing them to stay.

I am a guardian. >_<
  • Options
    ijw473ijw473 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Adds can be annoying but that's what Control Wizards are for. You should always have one in your group. For some bosses two CW in a group would make things a lot easier.

Ofc I assume that CWs know what they are doing.

Just so non-CWs are aware: some bosses (I'm looking at you MD) are extremely difficult to target around. We will routinely have our CCs uselessly hit a boss, when pointed right at a mob near it.

Raged hard on MD yesterday, as his ****ing wings repeatedly screwed with the targeting.
  • Options
    ulyxosulyxos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    EQ 1 made encounters difficult by having ludicrous pathing, aggro through objects and boss fight relying on a tedious chain heal rotation for long duration where any failure would be a wipe. That is indeed hard but it is the dark side of the hard ;). There is alternatives ... but i cannot honestly remember a boss fight in a MMORPG with a single boss with a mechanic that once learned would not make the fight boring... The difficulty of bosses in most MMORPG rely on itemization and progression once you are gear bosses are pushovers and can most of the time be soloed (which is absurd).

The adds mechanic make it so each blend of had will require different interractions and each time for each run aggro will be split differently. In some groups as a mage i would have to kite the boss while the other members of the group would deal with adds other time tank would keep the boss and i would deal with had by CCing and other time the team would kill adds as they came. Right there you get a variety of solution to a single problem : adds. Give me mechanic that will not turn out to have a single prototyped response in the end ? I dont recall many encounters that did so and that did not rely on splitting the group focus. You might think adds get old but honestly they do much slower than most other mechanics ;). If you have unnending add spawn you have to controle them somehow if you have weak adds you can kill them fast a few large you can CC or offtank.

Dont give me those scripted at 30 % click that button at 60% touch your nose at 80% do the chicken or you group wipes kind of fights.
  • Options
    ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Left side , even side MANY WHELPS !
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ulyxos wrote: »
    The adds mechanic make it so each blend of had will require different interractions and each time for each run aggro will be split differently. In some groups as a mage i would have to kite the boss while the other members of the group would deal with adds other time tank would keep the boss and i would deal with had by CCing and other time the team would kill adds as they came. Right there you get a variety of solution to a single problem : adds. Give me mechanic that will not turn out to have a single prototyped response in the end ? I dont recall many encounters that did so and that did not rely on splitting the group focus. You might think adds get old but honestly they do much slower than most other mechanics ;). If you have unnending add spawn you have to controle them somehow if you have weak adds you can kill them fast a few large you can CC or offtank.

Dont give me those scripted at 30 % click that button at 60% touch your nose at 80% do the chicken or you group wipes kind of fights.

The fights are still scripted. But now it's at 30% here are some more adds, at 60% here are some more adds, and at 80% here's even more adds. Personally, I don't find considerably less interesting than "at 70%, here's a new boss skill to deal with, at 50%, here's a second new boss skill to deal with, at 15% here's a very difficult new boss skill to deal with".

Maybe my problem is being a guardian fighter.
  • Options
    teethxteethx Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the adds would not be a issue if GWF's were not gimp, they would be able to tank the adds, CW would help and the rest focus on the boss but PW cares more about fixing stuff that isnt really broken like foundry farming.
  • Options
    katszckatszc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How can you like endless adds?
    Doesn't bring anything but frustration.
    1-2 waves of special mobs that has to die or it heals boss/deals huge amount of damage/buffs boss, anything, it would be better.
    But endless mobs that does little to no damage and just annoying the hell out of you, is just, annoying.

I'm pretty sure Cryptic can muster out better ideas than what I've seen so far, without the adds, the bosses ARE tank and spank, the BOSS is tank and spank, hilarious ain't it.

Where's the DPS races?
    Where's the coordination? Bunch of mobs rolling down bombs on you that bounce of walls that you have to avoid, that ain't rolling like some snails, yea I thought it up on the spot.
    At least make some Lunatic mode where everything is MUCH harder than a bunch of adds just spawning all over the place.
    I could go on and on, really, I can think of too many things I'd add to these bosses to make them more interesting but, can't be bothered.
  • Options
    grimmreaperxiiiigrimmreaperxiiii Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I completely agree. For some bosses It makes sense for them to spawn adds, such as the goblin bosses in the ice zone. But It seems to me like lazy programming to give every boss the mechanic of spawn more adds as the health meter goes down...I'd like to see some bosses with more spells and more health.
  • Options
    ddamaddddamadd Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    Summoning adds is a spell, right? Then we should be able to interrupt it. Unless it is an innate ability or bound to an item, if my archaic d&d knowledge is still pertinent.
  • Options
    kelanatorkelanator Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I completely agree. For some bosses It makes sense for them to spawn adds, such as the goblin bosses in the ice zone. But It seems to me like lazy programming to give every boss the mechanic of spawn more adds as the health meter goes down...I'd like to see some bosses with more spells and more health.

I agree it is just lazy design, I mean every boss the same thing with the adds, and let me tell you being the only cleric in the group with all the adds is ZERO fun.
  • Options
    onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It wouldn't be very hard to eliminate most of the add spawns in favor of making the boss tougher, for instance, Chartilifax is already a very tough customer by himself, give him a few more attacks to use (tail swipe, wings buffeting the players back and around, maybe a bite and shake like skyrim dragons do) and he'd be worthy of fighting as a stand alone with no minions; and even then there could still be adds, i expect a dragon as powerful as Chartilifax would summon a few of his hellish allies when he deems it necessary. it's really not that difficult, make the bosses more dynamic and you won't need adds to artifically raise the difficulty
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
  • Options
    xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    reskal wrote: »
    Okay. Let me preface this by saying I do not feel that dungeons need to be easier, or simpler.
    I also believe that adds with some bosses certainly have their place. But there are too many.

There are a lot of bosses in this game that have fantastic abilities. Dodging Chartifilax's poison sprays, explosions, and zones all the while being snared by little imp adds was hectic and fantastic. Some of the bosses in the Hotenow area are great -- dropping those AoE meteors in the correct position, and finding a proper place to stand to avoid cc shooting out of the ground is all a lot of fun.

So my question is: Why do these boss fights need adds as well? Boss mechanics are what give a MMO a change of pace. My experience has been that bosses themselves aren't the real threat. For example, fighting Idris was entertaining for the most part -- positioning to avoid being dazed and trying to maintain maximum uptime on the boss was fun. But Idris wasn't the threat in this boss fight. Her adds were.

Why can't the boss mechanics be more dangerous, and slim down the number of adds a boss will spawn? The damage of boss mechanics can be tuned upwards to keep the overall difficulty of the encounter the same.

Because you'd completely invalidate the point of the GWF and CW. This isn't WoW, every class has a specific role and that's why there are always tons of adds, both weak and strong.
This discussion has been closed.