test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Holy maintenance batman

vampiregoatvampiregoat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I know this is still beta but seems they are doing this now every day to every other day. Can't they wait until the weekend and do this once a week unless it is MAJOR important. Getting a little tired of it being down more than up now ARRRRGH!!!! LOL
Post edited by vampiregoat on

Comments

• Options
    zogvarnokazogvarnoka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Beta.. they are fixing bugs and balancing stuff. The way their iterations work, they do many small updates to make sure that those fixes do not cause any major problems and if they do they can fix them quickly. It is a good thing :)
    Removing the Grey Mask
    NW-DJ56XFK6G
    My first installment in the Rise of Shadovar Campaign.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Yeah it's annoying but the bugs must be squashed.
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yes because waiting until the weekend seems like such a fantastic idea
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The maint is a good thing at this stage of development.
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    hkiewa wrote: »
    yes because waiting until the weekend seems like such a fantastic idea

lol!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    clansman2013clansman2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd much rather it was a couple of hours each day, than 6 hours on the weekend :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it's great that they're doing such frequent maintenance in order to update things on an ongoing basis. Some of their changes have been a bit too much axe and not enough scalpel, so hopefully they'll level things out. :)
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    xiolinxiolin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm just happy that they are fixing stuff. The more they stay without doing anything, the worse it will start to get.
    Xilly The Silly Dwarf of Eyrda :P
    Waiting for a cool sig T.T
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    If they are charging money for the game, it isn't in development anymore.

And I'd still want them to fix bugs and improve performance.

(....and aren't MMOs always "in development"? :p)
  • Options
    edited May 2013

There are already 100's of posts explaining this, so I won't bother. This is the way games are these days, for example, look in the Steam store. You can currently buy Arma 3, and the game is still in Alpha. Buying early gets you alpha/beta access and a slightly reduced cost, however, it' is very much still in development.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm just waiting for all the ragers complaining about what ever they are nerfing today. My guess is AFK PvP is getting whacked with the old exploit smasher.
  • Options
    ericthekeiericthekei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As for the OP -- the weekend is the WORST possible time to do maintenance; that's when games tend to have the heaviest traffic -- for obvious reasons.
    They're not charging money for the game itself, and apparently never will.

Besides, it's a Beta. Anyway, how often do you normally see MMO's respond to and fix issues only a day or two after they're discovered?
    kiralyn wrote: »
    (....and aren't MMOs always "in development"? :p)
    Yup. Even MMO games that have been out for a decade or more get frequent patches. It never ends; it's part of the deal.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And I can sit here and tell you everything about how horribly wrong that is.

But I doubt you will listen to me anymore than I will listen to you.

Wrong or not is irrelevant, it's a reality of how today's market is. I'm sure if it was actually illegal, then there would be lawsuits preventing this practice, however, until that happens, there is no point in arguing about it :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    erebus2075erebus2075 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know this is still beta but seems they are doing this now every day to every other day. Can't they wait until the weekend and do this once a week unless it is MAJOR important. Getting a little tired of it being down more than up now ARRRRGH!!!! LOL
    issue is the time they take it down.. on a day where every one is off work, within play time of one side and in Prime time of the other side... thats really stupid... you could put it before prime for 1 side and at night for the other like 3-4am would be good for both.
    and i assume if its so importent you put it on one of the few days every one is of and can play that its importent enough to get people on it at off times, in all that is their job to do.
  • Options
    argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am fine with the maintenance. I would rather they be real aggressive in fixing bugs and issues and get this stuff fixed up front rather than leaving the game sit unfixed. I take it s a sign of commitment and honesty for them to be doing things in this way. They don't feed us the BS line like "other" MMO companies that "everything is working as intended". Sure they ninja adjust and balance classes, and I am fine with that in a beta, but with the actual bug fixes and game updates, they are both diligent and forthcoming, and that is **** refreshing nowadays.
  • Options
    acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    Wrong or not is irrelevant, it's a reality of how today's market is. I'm sure if it was actually illegal, then there would be lawsuits preventing this practice, however, until that happens, there is no point in arguing about it :)

Yeah, if the game industry says this is beta, then it's beta. It's not just Neverwinter that's doing this, lots of companies are doing it.

And they're the ones who make the games. This is how they define it. They have more authority to define things than J. Random gamer on the Internet somewhere.

Personally, I don't like this practice either - but I'm just...you know. Some random guy.

I don't mind the downtime, though. I'd rather they patch the game and fix the servers...than not. And let's be clear here, I live in Asia, so this is right smack in my prime playtime - it's hitting at 9pm, 10pm for me.
  • Options
    darknesslives613darknesslives613 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    -bump.....
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We are all aware of the various bugs in the game. The fact that they can afford and are willing to put in the time to fix them this quickly shows dedication to making this a great game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    arnathosarnathos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    `

An MMO is always in development. They are also not charging you anything but giving you the option to purchase items. This is Open Beta so expect down time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zombieelviszombieelvis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would be ok with an entire day of maintenance if it would fix the auction house.
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    erebus2075 wrote: »
    issue is the time they take it down.. on a day where every one is off work, within play time of one side and in Prime time of the other side... thats really stupid... you could put it before prime for 1 side and at night for the other like 3-4am would be good for both.
    and i assume if its so importent you put it on one of the few days every one is of and can play that its importent enough to get people on it at off times, in all that is their job to do.

First off...What?

Secondly...Everyone is off work today? Guess I should have told the wife she didnt need to drive in today then.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm noticing most of the people championing this game have blue titles.

Of course they are, they just dropped $200 on the game, which is a decent investment for a game these days. I'm sure they are all about supporting it. However, I am also willing to bet that the majority of the people complaining about downtime are more addicted to the game than those blue title players :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah it's annoying but the bugs must be squashed.

Yes please. As it is certain bugs make the game a lot less fun.
  • Options
    rakkanothrakkanoth Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Non sequitur.
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm noticing most of the people championing this game have blue titles.

Irrelevant. Of course people that have paid nothing are going to be the majority of those complaining. It's the norm of society today