test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Adult content

13»

Comments

• zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    How come I saw a courtesan in many quests?

My idea was at some stage to create a 'Red Temple' hangout with worm-pits etc. Would nerve eating worms as a kind of drug be adult content? I thought about using the zombie-skin to create some addicts :D
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just to state some obvious stuff

Scarlet Blade is rated M, it is a freely distributed MMO, it barely requires you to do an easily bypassed age verification in the form of the standard when were you born.

I am not saying this is what Neverwinter needs, its fine as is, but just wanted to point out the falsity of the ESRB mandating free MMO's to be rated Teen.

What are you trying to say, exactly? As you yourself point out, Scarlet Blade is rated M, so that hardly makes it an apt comparison to Neverwinter, don't you think? If Neverwinter was rated M, this discussion wouldn't have been happening. It's not like anyone is saying that a F2P MMO can't be M or even AO. There is no such restriction. The restrictions happen since Cryptic provides the ability for players to create content that Cryptic then promotes. In order to keep their rating, whatever it will be (Neverwinter seems to be Rating Pending right now), they need to make sure that this community content also qualifies.

Some of you are making this more complex than it needs to be. It's really quite simple:

- Publishers can release games with any rating they want. They are only restricted by certain stores (both retail and online) not wanting to sell games above a certain rating, as well as their target market.
    - This rating covers ALL CONTENT provided in the game, whether made by the developers or not. Even content that is locked away and requiring a mod to unlock affects the rating, as can be seen in the infamous Hot Coffee case.
  • hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    What are you trying to say, exactly? As you yourself point out, Scarlet Blade is rated M, so that hardly makes it an apt comparison to Neverwinter, don't you think? If Neverwinter was rated M, this discussion wouldn't have been happening. It's not like anyone is saying that a F2P MMO can't be M or even AO. There is no such restriction. The restrictions happen since Cryptic provides the ability for players to create content that Cryptic then promotes. In order to keep their rating, whatever it will be (Neverwinter seems to be Rating Pending right now), they need to make sure that this community content also qualifies.

Some of you are making this more complex than it needs to be. It's really quite simple:

- Publishers can release games with any rating they want. They are only restricted by certain stores (both retail and online) not wanting to sell games above a certain rating, as well as their target market.
    - This rating covers ALL CONTENT provided in the game, whether made by the developers or not. Even content that is locked away and requiring a mod to unlock affects the rating, as can be seen in the infamous Hot Coffee case.

Actually someone did say that the ERSB mandates all freely distributed games have to be rated Teen. I was just answering to that. As for what can kind of stuff can be in a Teen rated game and still maintain it's rating, is actually more then then current TOS allows.

Straight from the ESRB website
    Teen: Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language.

Keep in mind that these ratings typically assume that you're using only a few of those themes. If you use all of them, you risk being pushed up in rating from what I've heard.
  • futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Two Days Later
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    LOL why does this thread always get necro'd :P
    Does one have to be online every day to participate in topics?

A simple google search reveals that in the PWE forums, mods consider the timelimit to be 30days when judging what is a necropost or not.
    A
    B

I've found that forums with rules against necroposting typically give between one and three months.

2 days?! That ridiculous.

How many times does this need to be debunked here?

CLICK ME!

It clearly states on the ESRB FAQ that a game's rating is PURELY based on developer-created content. NEVER on user-generated-content. There is a rating for what the developers created and then there is a UN-RATED notification that the game includes user-generated-content. That's it. That is as much work as the ESRB is willing to put into this. That is really the most anyone should expect from them when it comes to rating a game because rating based on UGC would be a never-ending task.
  • overlordofdeath5overlordofdeath5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    futrix wrote: »

Two Days Later

Does one have to be online every day to participate in topics?

A simple google search reveals that in the PWE forums, mods consider the timelimit to be 30days when judging what is a necropost or not.
    A
    B

I've found that forums with rules against necroposting typically give between one and three months.

2 days?! That ridiculous.

How many times does this need to be debunked here?

CLICK ME!

It clearly states on the ESRB FAQ that a game's rating is PURELY based on developer-created content. NEVER on user-generated-content. There is a rating for what the developers created and then there is a UN-RATED notification that the game includes user-generated-content. That's it. That is as much work as the ESRB is willing to put into this. That is really the most anyone should expect from them when it comes to rating a game because rating based on UGC would be a never-ending task.

I agree fully. tilt42 I'm afraid every argument you have made has been extremely close-minded and completely inaccurate. The ESRB states directly that UGC (The exact definition of what the foundry is.) is not rated in their rating system and UGC does not effect the rating on ANY game including a freely distributed MMO like Neverwinter. The sole reason why Cryptic does not allow the content is because they do not want to alienate the younger audience. (Though I think that children are exposed to things like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> at earlier and earlier ages.) I believe that the adult content flag would be a perfect solution and it would not effect their ratings unless they featured the content. (This is why they won't feature things that include copyrighted material.)
  • fallensbanefallensbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Adult storyline content aside the profanity filter in this game needs to be loosened up a bit. Dam_n should not be blocked by a profanity filter. This game will be rated T when it comes out and not even being able to use the occasional PG-13 language that makes sense in a medieval style game is completely ridiculous. I am fine with block the C bombs, N bomb, F bomb etc but some of the more milder profanity that you see on any PG-13 equivalent media is too much.
  • giovithgiovith Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    A G rating is already violated, the game has blood and violence.
  • forien69forien69 Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I totally support idea of "adult content" quest marker. There are plenty of players who would enjoy more juicy language in both sexual or dirty (like curses, very common in medieval) words.

Now it's totally off atmosphere... medieval worlds, dark fantasy worlds and especially d&d world were dirty, brutal, dark and vicious places. Nobody cared about words like bas_t_ard (especially when talking about sword) or da_mn (funny hypocrisy: users can't use it or "da_mnation", but sgt. Knox uses it both in text and speech when player is lvl 4) and sex/<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> were as common as decapitating some bandits/orcs.
    But no, we have to do stories full of love, candies, rainbows and ponies. Sometimes when we try to make NPC seriously mad, the effect is grotesque...

Just because game has to be for teens, adults are being discriminated. Adding "adult content" marker to UGC and into search engine (active only when player is confirmed of age via PWE account) would make this game truly for everyone.

PS. To be honest I'd prefer my kids (in future, currently I do not have any) to know more about sex and see healthy sexual content than learning from elementary school how to smash, slice, slash, pierce and kill hordes of enemies using every possible method.

PS2. and from when violence and gore IS NOT adult content?
  • coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    While I certainly support an "Adult themes" flag that I could set on my content when designing a storyline my concern is where does the line between mature content (gambling, life and death decisions, pyrrhical choices) vs adult content (read: <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, Profanity, Obscenity) get drawn due to the wording of the TOS/ROC?

At the end of the day there will be adult content that exists in this game and likely already does exist. Cryptic can only do so much when you consider that for them to be Remotely successful the audience for the game and thus the foundry must be MANY times the size of their staff. Even with filters and scrubbers running there will be things that slip through the cracks and people will find a way to do what they want to do within the confines of the medium. Not to mention an actual author is experienced enough with language to say what they want to say without it being blatant enough for a filter to catch it.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • chairgraveyard1chairgraveyard1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    They can't. There are restrictions put upon them by the ratings. If they allow adult content (btw, thanks for not using the word "mature", which is almost exclusively used to describe immature content, ironically), the game will have its rating adjusted accordingly. Neverwinter is supposed to be a family friendly game, and the nature of Cryptic's license with Wizards of the Coast probably requires that this is reinforced.
    ESRB does not rate online play, so that's not an issue.
  • underpaydunderpayd Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I for one would also like to vioce my support for somehow allowing more adult content. This will expand what a artist has to work with. When I played dnd it wasent always pretty, and the best villans are the most evil.
  • nam19772nam19772 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Game experience may change during online play.

"Clita leads you to her room. She tickles your wee wee stick and both of you are happy for awhile. You are interrupted by an orc whose family you entirely slayed minutes earlier in the caves.
    -Have at you, Gokulegolas666!"