test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Request/Idea: Gateway API - For Players & NW Devs!

scrolltro0lscrolltro0l Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've already hinted at this in 3 threads, but they've all died rather quickly because users evidently prefer to bump rage posts. This time, I've pooled all of my crazy ideas into a clear and straight-to-the-point post. Please take the time to hear me out.

Greetings!

So far, I've been impressed by the ingenuity of the Neverwinter Team: non-region-specific Shards, user-created content via the Foundry, and web-based access to the game via the Gateway.

In regards to the Gateway, it's great, but I get the feeling that it's only half as useful as it should be since 1. you HAVE to log in to access the data within and 2. you can't access any of that information without being logged in . Heck, you can't even link to your character's profile image. I can buy some reasons PWI would give me for disabling access to player-specific things. But, what about guild data?

Because of the hardcore nature of so many of the guilds I've seen in these forums, I think that being able to access what the Gateway has, from outside the Gateway, is essential! Guilds should be able to show off their roster on their own pages, sync events between Neverwinter and their calendars, check to see at what times of the day/week they have the most players.

Sounds like a lot of work having PWI and Cryptic do all this themselves; thanks to the 21st century, it doesn't have to be that way! By building a Gateway API, Cryptic Studios can promote us players from Dungeon Masters of the Foundry to Code Masters of the Gateway.

How this helps us (the players):
You can get all the awesomeness of the Gateway any way you like, anywhere you like. I've already come across a mobile app developer who was interested in creating a mobile-version of the gateway for phones.

This will be an invaluable asset to guild-owners, who will be given endless possibilities for integrating Neverwinter with their own applications (websites, software, etc.) for the most integrated MMO experience.

Example of what I'm talking about: http://laggygamerz.com/raven/roster

How this helps the devs (PWE/Cryptic):
As Neverwinter grows, so will the demand for content. Keeping up with this growth will require constant development, both in-game and on the Gateway (to keep it relevant to the game). By allowing users to develop applications for parallel use with the gateway will take an immense workload off the developers, allowing them to instead focus on the the content while community members create its delivery.

Furthermore, such a step would give Neverwinter a name in setting a new standard of gaming, one of collaboration between the developers and gamers.

There is no doubt that Neverwinter has put itself in the hands of its players with the Foundry. My question is, why stop there?

Thanks,

-- Scroll
Member of Order of the Raven Guild

scroll_sig.png
lgz_sig.png
Post edited by scrolltro0l on

Comments

• alopexiaalopexia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 16
    edited May 2013
    Great idea! Also, I think having more activities available on the gateway would be fantastic :)
  • elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How do you ensure security? Gateway requires your regular login id and password.

One that gives access to something that ANYONE can see, maybe.

An Api that allows programmatic access to in game events, no. One that allows access to event schedules? No. That latter leads to botting.
  • scrolltro0lscrolltro0l Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    alopexia wrote: »
    Great idea! Also, I think having more activities available on the gateway would be fantastic :)

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. The API wouldn't add anything to the gateway, it would just give us new ways to show information that is in the gateway, outside the gateway. For example: I can create a guild roster on my website that shows me which of my guildmates are online.
    elawyn wrote: »
    An Api that allows programmatic access to in game events, no. One that allows access to event schedules? No. That latter leads to botting.

Could you explain this a bit more? I'd understand botting for professions (which I believe should NOT be included in the API) but I don't get the events part. Maybe an example to clear things up, every guild has its own little authentication code that it uses to access its own data via the API.

The API is there, foremost, to serve information in a one-way direction (from Neverwinter to Us). In the case of mobile applications and other fancy gimics that require more secure or exploitable data to be sent back to PWI, you could coordinate with Cryptic.

I should have stated earlier, the API is not meant to replace the Gateway, I wouldn't never want to see professions outsource-able. It is meant for extending the use of what we already have.

scroll_sig.png
    lgz_sig.png
  • ixothixoth Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    +1 I'd like to see this feature to be implemented for us as well.
  • yoshiesyoshies Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it's a splendid idea, I would also like to see that app idea to come into fruition.
  • gelatinouscoatgelatinouscoat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How do you ensure security? Gateway requires your regular login id and password.

Via password, oauth, or api keys as EVE does.It all depends on thevfunctioality made available.

I'd love to see a decent API.
  • krayzedonekrayzedone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Via password, oauth, or api keys as EVE does.It all depends on thevfunctioality made available.

As would I. I'd even help out on building a mobile app for this.
  • hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been asking for it since BW2, but now the team are ignoring me on Twitter :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • scrolltro0lscrolltro0l Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Didn't realize they did it in EVE, but that is unsurprising from them.
    krayzedone wrote: »
    As would I. I'd even help out on building a mobile app for this.
    The "mobile guy" I mentioned in my post is actually ixoth (he posted above). He posted the idea on one of my other 3 threads, I just noticed.

scroll_sig.png
    lgz_sig.png
  • wezzaukwezzauk Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    +1 this is a great idea i would like to see this happen
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps I should be posting this in another forum section? Any suggestions?

scroll_sig.png
    lgz_sig.png
  • m3t6m3t6 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Awesome Idea!

(shameless bump)
  • indelibleindelible Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    +1 to this idea.

Cryptic needs to take a look at how Blizzard and CCP nurture wide and robust communities through such means.

Doubt it'll happen though. Cryptic aren't real game developers or designers. They're doing this for money, and most certainly not for passion. The time spent developing an API is something a passionate developer does, not mindless drones.
    edited May 2013
    indelible wrote: »
    Doubt it'll happen though.

Now, now my friend. We must have faith!

scroll_sig.png
    lgz_sig.png
  • infestedchris12infestedchris12 Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    I totally support this thread. +1
  • quadomaticquadomatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I totally support this thread. +1
  • corjumhcorjumh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Interesting idea, something I'd love to see implemented. Great how it's good for the players and the Devs, so it would be a win-win situation. I support the idea. +1
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Just a note:
    . . . . . In the past, 3rd-party mobile apps for PW games have all been shut down as they violate ToS, EULA, and Copyright Laws for PWE Titles.

. . . . . On that note, I do hope PWE/Cryptic makes their own mobile app and even a Win8 live-tile app would be righteous! Yeah, I know using a browser is all good and all but I like apps. I like apps a lot and would rather have an app running in the background then another browser service.
    edited May 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    In the past, 3rd-party mobile apps for PW games have all been shut down as they violate ToS, EULA, and Copyright Laws for PWE Titles.

An API would resolve this issue as the data we use is being sent to us by PW. Hence, with their permission and always under their control.
    zebular wrote: »
    ...would rather have an app running in the background then another browser service.

Again, the API doesn't replace the functionality of the Gateway in any way. It just makes the data stored within it more useful.

scroll_sig.png
    lgz_sig.png
    edited May 2013
    Hoping we can get a response from a dev!

scroll_sig.png
    lgz_sig.png
  • yoshiesyoshies Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Live thread live!
    edited May 2013
    To those wondering what exactly can be produced with this. Here is our guild's roster based on data from when our guild members signed up. http://laggygamerz.com/raven/roster

scroll_sig.png
    lgz_sig.png
  • zp2kzp2k Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is an excellent idea!!!

I've already been playing around with it a bit trying to get data from it... wish there was an API so I could just pop it into my visual studio 2012 and get started on an App!
    fs_overall.png
  • elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The API should only be able to access information that is *already* publically visible without logging in or supplying ANY kind of token (like a guild number) and so on.

Otherwise you're just opening the floodgates for keyloggers, scams, account theft and so on.
    edited May 2013
    The API should only be able to access information that is *already* publically visible without logging in or supplying ANY kind of token (like a guild number) and so on

Precisely. However, regarding the token, I think those should be used to insure that random people aren't just posting your guild's stats (such as pvp kills, member roster, etc.) on their own pages.

But again, we don't need anything (yet) that sends data back to PWE.

scroll_sig.png
    lgz_sig.png
  • nalikknalikk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Precisely. However, regarding the token, I think those should be used to insure that random people aren't just posting your guild's stats (such as pvp kills, member roster, etc.) on their own pages.

But again, we don't need anything (yet) that sends data back to PWE.

I disagree, I'd like to build profession / mail management apps, requiring data be sent back to PWE. However for the token auth CCP has already solved this problem with user controlled keys. For example you can create an auth token that only allows access to what you want, then make it expire whenever you'd like.

+1 for the API, hopefully a dev/suit pops in here and makes this happen! Hells, if PWE needs API coder help hit me up! :P
  • lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    As Neverwinter grows, so will the demand for content. Keeping up with this growth will require constant development, both in-game and on the Gateway (to keep it relevant to the game). By allowing users to develop applications for parallel use with the gateway will take an immense workload off the developers, allowing them to instead focus on the the content while community members create its delivery.

Furthermore, such a step would give Neverwinter a name in setting a new standard of gaming, one of collaboration between the developers and gamers.

There is no doubt that Neverwinter has put itself in the hands of its players with the Foundry. My question is, why stop there?

Thanks,

-- Scroll[/COLOR]

What are you talking about as neverwinter grows? What is it growing angry people that leave the game? Frustrated people that eventually will leave the game?

I dont get this growth you talk about its shrinking not growing. And demand for new content i am afraid you missed that bus because the demand has been here since the GG launch even before that.

Ya i cant see anything bad happening letting out detail info on internal game coding and such. There are already hacks for this game you really want those types to get more info on this games coding.
  • cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ^ The thread is over two months old, bruh...
    edited July 2013
    Haha, unfortunately the people with the most passion on forums tend to be quite cynical, but we can cater to that!

One of my personal interests in getting something like this started was so that I could have my guild roster available on our website. We ended up using our own system of managing our members that has worked out quite well for us (PM if interested, I love to share!).

scroll_sig.png
    lgz_sig.png
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    One thing I would like to point out since we are all mobile people and stuff you can access the whos on like and friends list through any instant messenger that supports Jabber/Xmpp protocol like pidgin/trillian/xabber/im+ so its possible the functionality may already be there if there was a way to use this.

instructions on how to do this are on the sto wiki though it works the same for CO and here

Id love to see a Iphone/android app that combined the gateway with the jabber functionality which would be similar to what they do on WOW. id also love to see similar functions for STO and Champs online (though you can use the chat for them already)

Maybe also they can somehow integrate an in game/gateway based guild forum ive not seen a mmo do this since neocron Id also like to see NWO get involved with Core Connect/ARC functionality.