test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ninja's exploiting the looting system

mavidianmavidian Member Posts: 61 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
This is nothing new, but I wanted to share. I was in the spellplague caverns and our leader dropped early so the lead command went to somebody else. As we were rolling along the foereaver 2-hander sword drops. I'm the only GWF so I roll need, but the control wizard decided he was going to roll need as well. You can guess the rest of the story from there.

Please fix the loot system. People should not be able to roll need on boss drops. I don't think that is to difficult to figure out.
Post edited by mavidian on

Comments

• Options
    hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Instead of just boss drops, players shouldn't be allowed to roll need on gear that they cannot use. Fix the whole system, not just a segment ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • Options
    mavidianmavidian Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd be down for that. This can't be hard at all to change.
  • Options
    lageralelagerale Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your topic says ninja and exploit. You spoke of neither?
  • Options
    scrolltro0lscrolltro0l Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I thought that this was a theme in DnD from the start; "every man for himself", leaving room for the drama OP went through. Also gives more incentive for partying with friends or friending nice ppl from ure party.

If they go about 'fixing' these little sandbox moments we have, it won't feel like a social game anymore.
    Member of Order of the Raven Guild

scroll_sig.png
    lgz_sig.png
  • Options
    wolfzilvawolfzilva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 167
    edited May 2013
    lagerale wrote: »

I agree the OP just explain what happens in every mmo.
  • Options
    astralforgeastralforge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    I recently had this very same discussion with a friend of mine in-game. We both ultimately came to the same obvious conclusion, which makes a lot of sense for the game company but puts the shaft to the players.

What we determined is this: Why would a company change this rule, when it only makes it harder for ppl to get gear for themselves but it encourages players to ninja loot and sell for AD on the market?

Unfortunately, more AD being spent in the market means somewhere down the line someone's buying that AD.
  • Options
    highjusticarhighjusticar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    lagerale wrote: »

Wouldn't it be very ninja like to have a topic that says ninja in it, but people are not able to find any trace of said ninjas in the post?
  • Options
    xaazxxaazx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I agree with the fact that the loot needs fixed, however you all of you use the term "ninja looting" incorrectly. Ninja looting is setting a party to leader only loot as the boss is about to die and then takes all the loot and leaves.

There is nothing ninja about winning a roll, even it is ethically wrong (opinion) to roll need on something you can't use.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Wouldn't it be very ninja like to have a topic that says ninja in it, but people are not able to find any trace of said ninjas in the post?

I guess he said Ninja's exploiting the loot system, maybe he has proof ninjas actually play the game and know of a loot exploit?
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mavidian wrote: »
    This is nothing new, but I wanted to share. I was in the spellplague caverns and our leader dropped early so the lead command went to somebody else. As we were rolling along the foereaver 2-hander sword drops. I'm the only GWF so I roll need, but the control wizard decided he was going to roll need as well. You can guess the rest of the story from there.

Please fix the loot system. People should not be able to roll need on boss drops. I don't think that is to difficult to figure out.

Why not? The CW can sell that sword for AD on the auction hall.

If people want this system implemented then they should have to pay the rest of the group for the drop.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    xaazx wrote: »
    I agree with the fact that the loot needs fixed, however you all of you use the term "ninja looting" incorrectly. Ninja looting is setting a party to leader only loot as the boss is about to die and then takes all the loot and leaves.

There is nothing ninja about winning a roll, even it is ethically wrong (opinion) to roll need on something you can't use.

I won't roll need on something the character I'm currently using doesn't need, but don't say I "can't use" it because I can sell it for AD if I want and I NEED them. Again not an argument I'd use, but it can't be ignored either.

Bottom line is unless your with guild mates or RL friends expect no courtesy in an MMO and just be thankful when you get it. Been that way sense before EQ1 came out on open loot games. That's why games without lazy developers give individual loot on kills and quests.
  • Options
    jerid1jerid1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    torskaldr wrote: »
    Why not? The CW can sell that sword for AD on the auction hall.

If people want this system implemented then they should have to pay the rest of the group for the drop.
    Yes... now if only there were an option that reflected that drop that he didn't need to use, but only wanted to use it for greedy purposes were in the game... if ONLY there were such an option....
  • Options
    kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Better yet, instanced loot. Everybody gets loot (whether it's vendor trash or better), and nobody suffers the grief of the Need/Greed/Pass "but might as well always click need" system. That wizard might still have gotten the sword as random loot, but at least you wouldn't have known unless they rubbed it in your face.
  • Options
    tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Most games have gotten away from loot systems like this for a reason. It is out dated for a reason. This is a cash grab. No more, no less.
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought that this was a theme in DnD from the start; "every man for himself", leaving room for the drama OP went through. Also gives more incentive for partying with friends or friending nice ppl from ure party.

If they go about 'fixing' these little sandbox moments we have, it won't feel like a social game anymore.

It's not about DnD, it's about MMOs. The only way to fix it is to have random distribution added. The coding for something like this would be a nightmare, especially at this point. There's nothing like combing thousands of lines of code that actually compiles with no errors because an update broke something. I've been through it in NWN.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So OP, did you offer to buy the Sword? Did the CW offer to sell it? Did you even attempt to communicate calmly, or did you just blow up in a frothing maelstrom of nerd rage? How the situation was handled is mush more important than a false claim of ninja looting.

The system is broken, I have posted more than my share about it, but it is broken in a way that allows need to be abused by everyone, even those who claim they can use an item, even though they might not actually need it. Until the system is fixed, to be truly fair and equitable, everyone should always roll need, on every single item, because that's the only truly fair way to go about it. Claiming loot should be yours due to it being a class item isn't fair, it's called entitlement, it stinks, and is disingenuous. That being said, I'm an old school guy, and if someone is polite, has been pulling their weight in the group, and can obviously use the item, I'll offer it to them; generally just hand it right over if it's a true rare item. But, if I hear one peep of complaint, some entitled drivel, or other childishness, I'll keep it, or give it to some other random person, not even in the group, who has been pleasant to group with in the past.
  • Options
    pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Just roll need like everyone else and let the RNG god sort it out.
  • Options
    kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Temporary fix is to have the loot set to Round Robin, but then again you can't force the party leader to change it. With Round Robin there's still the chance of someone getting loot they can't use, but at least then it's not by a person purposely being a jerk. End result is the same, but with Round Robin there isn't as bad a taste left in the mouth.

Other recent games went the instanced loot system and it works great. In fact Neverwinter already has the code in place for that since chests provide instanced loot, and the various white items (potions, scrolls, etc.) are fully instanced as well. I don't think it would be as difficult to make the other part of loot instanced as you might think.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Loot ninjas are "sand box" elements now?

If that is the case, then every game with a loot roll is a sand box game, right?

And no, D&D was never about "every man for himself", because if you are playing the PnP game with friends and your wizard lays claim to the 2-handed sword that the fighter in the group really wanted, then you are just irritiating your friends and making success for the group less likely.

If they will not change the system to allow only people that can use the gear to click the need button, then I can only suggest that everyone click need. On everything.

At least that way you play the odds, loot becomes basically a random distribution, and even if you do not get the thing that you want, you might get the thing that will allow you to trade for what you want or to sell to make the money to buy what you want.
  • Options
    spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    xaazx wrote: »

That was the ancient old old definition of it, the slang term used when someone would run up to a body and loot it before you could, after all the killing was done, it took a lot of skill and often misdirection to get you to stall on looting for a moment, usually to reply to a tell etc. hence, they were like ninja's.

As seen as (for the most part anyways) that loot system isn't used anymore, it's not possible and thus the term was adopted and re-purposed to instead mean "someone who is looting things that they can't use, for profit, malice or, even someone they know" essentially the latter being that they're giving their preferred teammate 2 rolls instead of 1.

all semantics aside, which we can argue til the cows come home and personally I'd rather argue with the cows til you come home, on this matter especially. This isn't that terrible early on, when gear is not your main priority and levelling IS, but once you get to the endgame time consuming content, it's simply wrong for your greed and hubris to eat into MY time and effort, this game DOES to at least a considerable degree, have defined class purposes and roles, there is a healer, a dps, and a tank you can be a hybrid in between if necessary to varying degree's of effectiveness, but ultimately If I'm a healer, and you roll need on a healing item for a DC and you're a TR, that's NOTHING short of slapping me in the face and pissing on my shoes for my effort. Would you take a slap in the face from someone pissing on your shoes in real life? so no... in this game you shouldn't have to either, the dev's can deal with it or they can watch their community deal with it. And from what every game has seen when that happens there's usually a LOT of hostility and complaints, as players not knowing any better get systemically punished for honest mistakes.

And one can argue that "you can just need on everything yourself" but that inherently means that i'm simply waiting on you to cause an issue, as opposed to something proactively preventing you from causing it in the first place, and it doesn't stop the fact that there's still one annoying fly in an ointment when it comes to loot distribution, and of course, because folks will again (this is not my first rodeo here on this subject, does it show?) argue that, it's all fair because you're putting in just as much effort to a group as a DPS than as a Healer or Tank, to that I simply exclaim "no, you're talking garbage" yet more often than not, the DPS who are more than abundant in the game as always, are the last players to even roll a tank or healer, outside of maybe focusing on pvp because all that matters to them is "killing doodz and doing deepz"

So... old school archaic systems that are used today, still need the same hardline solutions as before. You don't use the queue at endgame, and you simply control who you let in (haha elitism, sad it's required but hey) and then when someone agree's to the need before greed and breaks it, the entire community needs to name and shame ingame, or create a list of unfavorable handles and just slowly but surely exclude them from further events due to failure to simply play by the agreed looting system. Yes you'll still get griefers that will thrive on this, and Cryptic and PWE will probably as always wash their hands on loot disputes for the sake of sanity, but ultimately griefers will grief and excluding them is the only way to circumvent their rubbish.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unfortunately, more AD being spent in the market means somewhere down the line someone's buying that AD.

^ The sooner everyone starts rolling 'need', the sooner these threads stop appearing. The loot system was obviously made on purpose.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    I agree. Need rolls should make the item BoP.
  • Options
    pinkysansbrainpinkysansbrain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013

DnD is about a party working together. Working together doesn't mean attempting to steal important loot drops from the class it belongs to.
  • Options
    blupa2010blupa2010 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This will need to be addressed soon if not I can see more and more people doing it.
    ~ Neverwinter Fan Site~ Builds-Guides+More!!
  • Options
    agodbeaagodbea Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    should only be able to need on items your class can use.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    Thus is the nature of playing with random strangers sometimes you meet good people and at other times you meet greedy son of a drow.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The current Need or Greed system is working correctly. What they should do is add another loot type, (let's call it 'Class-only Need or Greed'). This additional loot setting would do as you folks are describing - only those of the same class as an item may choose Need for it - all others can only choose greed or pass.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I agree in concept, people shouldn't be able to need on items that they can not use on their class. Seen a few people needless need and during one Dungeon a person actually had to explain the need/greed thing to one party member since they didn't seem to understand it. Need should be restricted to class in my honest opinion. Thankfully so far the only boss drop I've had for my class I won and I was the only Devoted Cleric in that party but it's only a matter of time til either a ninja or an idiot comes up....
  • Options
    jenniskr2jenniskr2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i don't agree with this topic, if a ninja was looting your items you would never have noticed.. come on guys!
    7vlbg.png
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Only use greed with friends. Unfortunate, but that's how it goes.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
This discussion has been closed.